What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (17 Viewers)

What online brokerages are you guys using? I've had a Scottrade account for years but I'm not wild about their interface and trading tools and feel like I should shop around. Is there a reliable source that breaks down the fees and commissions for all the main ones? I want to be able to trade stocks, ETFs, options, etc. Don't need affiliated banking services, don't need a dedicated guy to call on the phone or anything.
http://www.onlinebrokerrev.com/main.phpWhat's important to you? Interface? trading tools? fees?Seems like most people rave about Interactive Brokers and Options Express.To me fees were the most important thing, and Merrill Edge because of my relationship with bank of america gives 30 trades a month free. Hell, even if they only gave me 10 it would be plenty to avoid every transaction fee ever.I've never made 10 let alone 30 trades in a month, but it's pretty sweet that all the trades are free.If you're making over 30 a month you're either Dodds, a day trader, or not doing yourself any favors.

My market claim to fame was just now photobombing a CNBC interview. For Ignoratio - I and several of the guys I work with use Interactive Brokers. I like them - I can trade anything and its cheap.

What online brokerages are you guys using? I've had a Scottrade account for years but I'm not wild about their interface and trading tools and feel like I should shop around. Is there a reliable source that breaks down the fees and commissions for all the main ones? I want to be able to trade stocks, ETFs, options, etc. Don't need affiliated banking services, don't need a dedicated guy to call on the phone or anything.
http://www.onlinebrokerrev.com/main.phpWhat's important to you? Interface? trading tools? fees?Seems like most people rave about Interactive Brokers and Options Express.To me fees were the most important thing, and Merrill Edge because of my relationship with bank of america gives 30 trades a month free. Hell, even if they only gave me 10 it would be plenty to avoid every transaction fee ever.I've never made 10 let alone 30 trades in a month, but it's pretty sweet that all the trades are free.If you're making over 30 a month you're either Dodds, a day trader, or not doing yourself any favors.
Most important is fees, I suppose, as well as variety of offerings. Obviously I'd prefer to have a nice interface and lots of tools, but I can do my research elsewhere, I really just need a broker to execute trades. I do all my banking with TD Bank and ING Direct (now CapitalOne I think) but it doesn't seem either of those offer anything like X free trades a month. I have to look into Interactive Brokers, seems like their fees are way low so I'm wondering what the tradeoff is.

My market claim to fame was just now photobombing a CNBC interview.
lol, do you know who it was/what it was about? I've had CNBC on in the background all afternoon but haven't really been paying close attention.
For Ignoratio - I and several of the guys I work with use Interactive Brokers. I like them - I can trade anything and its cheap.
Any downsides? The commissions are enticing. The link Dentist posted says, "Minimum $10 in commissions per month, so charges will be applied if that level is not met." What do they mean by "charges?" Do they just take the $10 or do they apply some other kind of low-activity fees?

Can any chart guys give me some short term price trend on LNCO? I'd like to convert a good chunk of my Roth IRA to them in the next month or so, and am wondering if I should jump now, considering the recent pullback, or wait until after earnings on Feb 25.TIA... :thumbup:

My market claim to fame was just now photobombing a CNBC interview.
lol, do you know who it was/what it was about? I've had CNBC on in the background all afternoon but haven't really been paying close attention.
For Ignoratio - I and several of the guys I work with use Interactive Brokers. I like them - I can trade anything and its cheap.
Any downsides? The commissions are enticing. The link Dentist posted says, "Minimum $10 in commissions per month, so charges will be applied if that level is not met." What do they mean by "charges?" Do they just take the $10 or do they apply some other kind of low-activity fees?
They were interviewing Scott Mather. Don't know what about; just in the right place at the right time. On IB, they just charge your account. That's the "catch" with IB - it is or people/firms that have volume. But I've found the way I trade, it is worth it; still cheaper than anybody else.

and between you and my couisin-in-law, I'm selling the rest of my AAPL Monday. Was hoping for a little short term bump but it's obvious I'm playing with fire.So do I grow some major balls and short AAPL Siff?
First of all. I think you guys have the incorrect impression of how I operate. While I'm willing to take on risk...I actually practice correct risk management- in that I align my positions with the direction price is generally moving. Disciplined on entries and exits. I take profits when the trend is exhausted, and am not afraid to take a loss or close a position when my opinion proves wrong. I want to be bullish when the market is bullish and I want to be bearish when the market is bearish. With that said. I DO NOT short stocks.* I wouldn't suggest a short of AAPL. Remember the overall market is bullish. The money to be made is long...investing in the strongest stocks and strongest sectors. Ideally this would have been done on the PI turn- as most gains are made by entering at the early stage of a new bull market trend. At this point the strongest stocks and sectors are up 10%+ since the PI flip. My opinion is that this Bull Trend will continue for the foreseeable future...putting money to work at this point will require much more vigilance and discipline and carry a higher level of risk for a smaller percentage of gain. In addition I'd have had you sell AAPL back in October at around $650- when the daily trend confirmed bear as that would have presented the greatest level of profit with the least amount of risk. As that trend is now 3+ months along and $200+ down from that initial signal- selling here means less profits (obviously) and a greater chance that when the AAPL trend flips to a bull a new long entry will not be far from the price point we're at today. What I'm saying is a trend investor must make his moves early in the trend as part of the discipline process. When that step is ignored it is difficult to provide good guidance as to what is the best move.I'm sorry that the blog post needs editing. But if you think it's bad now, you should have seen it last night. Remember I'm a one man show and my native language isn't English...it's Western Frontier. I do try to be straight forward with the charts. I know I spent a lot of time analyzing AAPL, but did so because it is such a part of the market conversation right now.* I short the general market when the PI is bearish using emini futures contracts on the major market indexes. Eminis act as both a hedge and portfolio accelerator. I also take a position in emini futures contracts in bull markets by taking long positions. While the % of my portfolio invested in eminis is less than 20%...the profits they provide make up the majority of all gains.
AAPL up ~ 10% since the late January lows. What does technical analysis say siffoin? Is this a chance for some of us who go caught holding the bag to get out on a bounce before new lows, or is this the beginning of a bull?
The ST (60m) chart of AAPL is bullish- though it shows signs of having topped.The Daily Chart of AAPL is Bearish. There is heavy resistance around $495. (Think of Support/Resistance lines as a zone not a hard line in the sand). The ToG is still very very bearish- which means that even if that 495 level were breached in the coming days the move would likely fail. On a stock like AAPL, there can be some serious moves of close to 20% and still maintain the daily trend. Heck back in November it ran from $505-$595, all the while the ToG remained bearish.More concerning is the technical alignment of Weekly charts. They are optimally bearish (technically an ideal alignment of indicators that point down). This trend is relatively young.AAPL is a tough one. From a fundamental perspective it is a heck of a bargain. But the technical picture screams stay away. The way I work is you want to make moves early in trends. Long in the early phase of a bull market and exit in the early phase of a bear market. Maneuvering positions outside that philosophy just doesn't work for trend investors. Positioning outside of that to me is gambling. It is certainly possible to successfully take positions against a major trend but would require you to be nimble, active, and have very disciplined stops- and be ok losing lots and often. I think the wisest move is to just wait for the trend to resolve. Sure you won't get in at the absolute bottom, but your odds of winning will be exponentially greater.In re to Interactive Brokers. I've used them for years. Here's the thing. The cost to invest in anything these days is dirt cheap. The cost of investing/trading shouldn't be the barrier. If that is your focus (cost)..you really should not be in the stock market at all. I'd be more focused on the financial strength of the broker- you don't want your $ with a "MF Global or PFG Best". I do carry lots of cash in my account quite frequently, and finding a safe stash for cash is a constant concern....not the $2.00 commission I'm charged for trading in and out of XYZ. I believe IB is financially sound. But there will come a day when some broker fails. If people focused more on the financial strength and conservative investment strategies from their financial institutions over freebies (ATMs, free checkng, 30 free trades, low cost commissions etc)- our financial future with these institutions would be a whole lot sounder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn it, I should have sold the rest of my AAPL. Got busy with work and didn't make it to the office until after 3.
Sorry you missed. I was able to close out my trade in the morning, so was absolutely sure there would be a huge upside surprise.
Man, I know how that goes. Really tempted to go start going all in. Falling knife anyone?Anyhow bought yesterday:

362 VFINX @ $137.80

194 DODGC @ $128.84
Sold today at $140.24 & $131.38 for a profit of $883.28 & $492.76. :confetti:

'siffoin said:
and between you and my couisin-in-law, I'm selling the rest of my AAPL Monday. Was hoping for a little short term bump but it's obvious I'm playing with fire.So do I grow some major balls and short AAPL Siff?
First of all. I think you guys have the incorrect impression of how I operate. While I'm willing to take on risk...I actually practice correct risk management- in that I align my positions with the direction price is generally moving. Disciplined on entries and exits. I take profits when the trend is exhausted, and am not afraid to take a loss or close a position when my opinion proves wrong. I want to be bullish when the market is bullish and I want to be bearish when the market is bearish. With that said. I DO NOT short stocks.* I wouldn't suggest a short of AAPL. Remember the overall market is bullish. The money to be made is long...investing in the strongest stocks and strongest sectors. Ideally this would have been done on the PI turn- as most gains are made by entering at the early stage of a new bull market trend. At this point the strongest stocks and sectors are up 10%+ since the PI flip. My opinion is that this Bull Trend will continue for the foreseeable future...putting money to work at this point will require much more vigilance and discipline and carry a higher level of risk for a smaller percentage of gain. In addition I'd have had you sell AAPL back in October at around $650- when the daily trend confirmed bear as that would have presented the greatest level of profit with the least amount of risk. As that trend is now 3+ months along and $200+ down from that initial signal- selling here means less profits (obviously) and a greater chance that when the AAPL trend flips to a bull a new long entry will not be far from the price point we're at today. What I'm saying is a trend investor must make his moves early in the trend as part of the discipline process. When that step is ignored it is difficult to provide good guidance as to what is the best move.I'm sorry that the blog post needs editing. But if you think it's bad now, you should have seen it last night. Remember I'm a one man show and my native language isn't English...it's Western Frontier. I do try to be straight forward with the charts. I know I spent a lot of time analyzing AAPL, but did so because it is such a part of the market conversation right now.* I short the general market when the PI is bearish using emini futures contracts on the major market indexes. Eminis act as both a hedge and portfolio accelerator. I also take a position in emini futures contracts in bull markets by taking long positions. While the % of my portfolio invested in eminis is less than 20%...the profits they provide make up the majority of all gains.
AAPL up ~ 10% since the late January lows. What does technical analysis say siffoin? Is this a chance for some of us who go caught holding the bag to get out on a bounce before new lows, or is this the beginning of a bull?
The ST (60m) chart of AAPL is bullish- though it shows signs of having topped.The Daily Chart of AAPL is Bearish. There is heavy resistance around $495. (Think of Support/Resistance lines as a zone not a hard line in the sand). The ToG is still very very bearish- which means that even if that 495 level were breached in the coming days the move would likely fail. On a stock like AAPL, there can be some serious moves of close to 20% and still maintain the daily trend. Heck back in November it ran from $505-$595, all the while the ToG remained bearish.More concerning is the technical alignment of Weekly charts. They are optimally bearish (technically an ideal alignment of indicators that point down). This trend is relatively young.AAPL is a tough one. From a fundamental perspective it is a heck of a bargain. But the technical picture screams stay away. The way I work is you want to make moves early in trends. Long in the early phase of a bull market and exit in the early phase of a bear market. Maneuvering positions outside that philosophy just doesn't work for trend investors. Positioning outside of that to me is gambling. It is certainly possible to successfully take positions against a major trend but would require you to be nimble, active, and have very disciplined stops- and be ok losing lots and often. I think the wisest move is to just wait for the trend to resolve. Sure you won't get in at the absolute bottom, but your odds of winning will be exponentially greater.In re to Interactive Brokers. I've used them for years. Here's the thing. The cost to invest in anything these days is dirt cheap. The cost of investing/trading shouldn't be the barrier. If that is your focus (cost)..you really should not be in the stock market at all. I'd be more focused on the financial strength of the broker- you don't want your $ with a "MF Global or PFG Best". I do carry lots of cash in my account quite frequently, and finding a safe stash for cash is a constant concern....not the $2.00 commission I'm charged for trading in and out of XYZ. I believe IB is financially sound. But there will come a day when some broker fails. If people focused more on the financial strength and conservative investment strategies from their financial institutions over freebies (ATMs, free checkng, 30 free trades, low cost commissions etc)- our financial future with these institutions would be a whole lot sounder.
i already had a bank account with bank of america. The free trades were a draw... i joined, if the service would have been terrible, i'd have quit, but i've been quite satisfied and i think bank of america is on solid ground

Bought 50 DDD @ $60.44
Sold at $65.47 for a profit of $237.50 after commissions.
Can you unpack this for me a little bit? I'm not familiar with that lingo.
lolI'm actually looking to get back in. I'm not a chart guy (sorry Siff) but it seems to be in overbought territory and received a mercy bump today since it was mentioned in the SOTU last night. I'll be a buyer if it dips again. It splits 3:2 and earning are on 2/25.

Raise your hand if you are following SLV and are disappointed that it's not turning bullish the way you hoped.

Raise your hand if you are following SLV and are disappointed that it's not turning bullish the way you hoped.
I saw Siff's posts on this, hope he's not too far underwater.
I don't think he ever got in. Was waiting for it to confirm Bull trend. It sat on the edge, but never fully confirmed.
by the time you have a confirmed bull trend haven't you missed out on a decent chunk of the positive side already in many cases?I mean, the real money in something is when you make a prediction on something being big before most people know it.like if the first time i had a chipotle burrito back in 2006 i would've said.. oh, this business is really going to work, i'm going to buy some shares!At this point the story is known no matter what the trend..

Bought 50 DDD @ $60.44
lolI'm actually looking to get back in. I'm not a chart guy (sorry Siff) but it seems to be in overbought territory and received a mercy bump today since it was mentioned in the SOTU last night. I'll be a buyer if it dips again. It splits 3:2 and earning are on 2/25.
I get lucky every once in a while. My link

Bought 50 DDD @ $60.44
You a buyer today or are you going to wait to see how much it sinks based on the article in that link?I think today is the deadline to buy before the 2:3 split.

Not a stock guy at all but have been doing some geography classes and was wondering if people see like drought coming and invest in corn and soybeans. And then because of that meat and milk prices go up. And then cheese follows. Wondering about those trends and if people make money off the stocks there. Seems to volatile to me (predicting the weather for one).

Question on income and taxesi bought WHZ - whiting US Royalty Trust IIThe value of it went up 20% in a very short time frame from when i bought it (like 4-6 weeks). So I just took the gains.I never received a distribution from them.I didn't really even buy that many shares... i think i made like $350 off the sale.Anyway... does anyone here know if that's taxed at just regular short term capital gains or if that gain is subject to some of the weird Royalty Trust rules?

'Al Czervik said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
Bought 50 DDD @ $60.44
You a buyer today or are you going to wait to see how much it sinks based on the article in that link?I think today is the deadline to buy before the 2:3 split.
I think there is more of a sell off. Have until next Friday for the split.

Gas prices have sky rocketed over the last month. I've seen this scenario before.
:yes:Gas is up to $3.95 in south Fla.
Three weeks ago it was $3.04 here, today it's $3.71.
It seems like every year since the crash of 08 the market heads up 5%-10%, then dives into the spring and then picks up again in the fall. This year could be different, but its starting to be a real familiar story.

Gas prices have sky rocketed over the last month. I've seen this scenario before.
It seems like every year since the crash of 08 the market heads up 5%-10%, then dives into the spring and then picks up again in the fall. This year could be different, but its starting to be a real familiar story.
Yep.

Yep.
Whats really interesting to me is how much gas is up on a demand/inflation play, but Gold and Silver can't get any traction.

Yep.
Whats really interesting to me is how much gas is up on a demand/inflation play, but Gold and Silver can't get any traction.
Man I hear that. I still have a bunch of physical silver, most of it bought in the $28 range but some in the $6 range. If it keep dropping, I'm adding more.

Yep.
Man I hear that. I still have a bunch of physical silver, most of it bought in the $28 range but some in the $6 range. If it keep dropping, I'm adding more.
So can you tell me the rationale for why you would buy actual physical silver vs. a silver fund or something? What are the differences there?

My link & My link :excited:

Of course I received an e-mail from a trade magazine a week ago about the possibility of this merger and I didn't buy ODP or OMX. Definitely a Boy Who Cried Wolf kind of thing. :kicksrock:

The "sell in may" people are getting more followers.it has been reliable for a couple years now even if it seems like coincidence and hogwash.

Yep.
So can you tell me the rationale for why you would buy actual physical silver vs. a silver fund or something? What are the differences there?
OK, never mind. :kicksrock:

Well for starters the ETF's don't have dollar for dollar the amount of gold/silver the NAV would indicate. They do hold much of it in physical material but also trade contracts. So the theory goes if the SHTF and the US dollar took a big hit and there was a run on any of the ETF's they wouldn't be able to liquidate the fund and pay out in material. Now I would never say to do this.... but if you trade SLV and it goes up 20% you need to pay the capital gain. if you go down to the coin shop and buy junk silver and the price goes up 20% and you sell it for cash and it doesn't make it onto a tax return..... Again, not recommended but just speaking what others think.

I havent posted in quite a while. Havent had a strong feeling about a stock in a long time.For those of you who know Im in the insurance industry and all-in in MIG.Very good value.

Yep.
Sorry GB, just missed this. What Ref said plus I have a connection so I can buy very slightly over spot.

Users who are viewing this thread