What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (27 Viewers)

A lot of you guys were interested in this - I threw together a quick spreadsheet of what those trades were.  How can you do this?  Was a question I got asked so I'm just answering for all of you here.

In short I don't think it possible.  One main concern is that many times the stock selection is thinly traded...too many people on the trade would have some impact to some probably positive to others negative.  There are other concerns too

Yesterday I did some thinking about re-doing something like this but with a strongly traded stock "universe".  As an example cull a universe of the top holdings in the $SP500; Nasdaq 100; Russell 2k...lets say 30-50 stocks and then run the program for the top selection each month.  If there is interest we could see how that goes and discuss how to implement the strategy of course for edutainment purposes.  Such strategies are HIGH RISK.  You do these things with like 5% of a portfolio.  NO MORE THAN THAT.  Right now, market conditions are likely not conducive to actually trading off of this.  But again - we could run it live - examine the results and when conditions improve have some better understanding of how it is likely to perform.  And then live trade it.

If that is of interest, I'll move forward with it.
Yes, absolutely in.

The amount of FOMO going on right now is truly at epic proportions. How does that end well? I’m sticking with my DCA strategy, but it is absolutely nuts to watch in real time.

A lot of you guys were interested in this - I threw together a quick spreadsheet of what those trades were.  How can you do this?  Was a question I got asked so I'm just answering for all of you here.

In short I don't think it possible.  One main concern is that many times the stock selection is thinly traded...too many people on the trade would have some impact to some probably positive to others negative.  There are other concerns too

Yesterday I did some thinking about re-doing something like this but with a strongly traded stock "universe".  As an example cull a universe of the top holdings in the $SP500; Nasdaq 100; Russell 2k...lets say 30-50 stocks and then run the program for the top selection each month.  If there is interest we could see how that goes and discuss how to implement the strategy of course for edutainment purposes.  Such strategies are HIGH RISK.  You do these things with like 5% of a portfolio.  NO MORE THAN THAT.  Right now, market conditions are likely not conducive to actually trading off of this.  But again - we could run it live - examine the results and when conditions improve have some better understanding of how it is likely to perform.  And then live trade it.

Yes, please.

@siffoin If I'm understanding the charts correctly, CEF is hold (monthly 8ma) and VTI is not hold (monthly 8ma)?

How do these dynamics change for shorter term trades?  Say daily or weekly?  Do you use a daily/weekly chart?  Do you change the ma from 8?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's almost like...the stock market is not the economy and those job losses plus more were fully anticipated and priced in long ago. 

Such a basic but somehow difficult concept for many to grasp. 

For the 100th time...bad results do NOT make the market go down. WORSE THAN EXPECTED results do. Stock market basics 101.

/rant
The job numbers have been even worse than the awful numbers expected. Your first paragraph and last basically contradict each other.

The amount of FOMO going on right now is truly at epic proportions. How does that end well? I’m sticking with my DCA strategy, but it is absolutely nuts to watch in real time.
If I recall, I read an article a few weeks back that said if you see buying at end of day, it's institutional. Well, watching the past few days, the opposite has been happening. Just wondering if they are selling along with the day traders closing their positions. 4 of the last 5 days have ended closing with a selloff. 

I have a novice question if anyone cares to comment:

I'm not a stock market player.  I put money in my 401k, into index funds mostly.  With COVID, I am now working from home, have disposable income and have a bit of boredom when things get slow for work.  So I throw a few thousand into some stocks (DIS, COF and even a little in CYDY for the heck of it).  I also maxed out my 401k thinking I will be buying lower.

Are there enough people out there like me that could be artificially propping up the market now, only to get out of the market when we return to our "normal" lives?  i.e. if there are a million people like me, that could be an infusion of billions of dollars of new money into the market.

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

I have a novice question if anyone cares to comment:

I'm not a stock market player.  I put money in my 401k, into index funds mostly.  With COVID, I am now working from home, have disposable income and have a bit of boredom when things get slow for work.  So I throw a few thousand into some stocks (DIS, COF and even a little in CYDY for the heck of it).  I also maxed out my 401k thinking I will be buying lower.

Are there enough people out there like me that could be artificially propping up the market now, only to get out of the market when we return to our "normal" lives?  i.e. if there are a million people like me, that could be an infusion of billions of dollars of new money into the market.

Apologies if this is a stupid question.
Your money and others like you is a hot dog from a street vendor compared to what the Fed has done.

IN

In

Walking Boot said:
There is a series of tweets, there's no single link though because they were separate tweets and not a thread:

SteelHedge

@steelhedge

·

Nov 18, 2014

If you want 1 simple technical analysis indicator here's what you do...

This takes all of 5 minutes 1x per month.

Open up a MONTHLY chart of whatever stocks, ETFs or Mutual Funds you own. Apply a 8 Period Moving Average Line. Now common is 10 but

8 MA gets better results

Buy/Hold as long as your Stock, ETF or Funs is ABOVE that 8MA line. And Sell when it drops below. Do this 1x per month- end of month

When the Fund is Below the 8MA line go to cash for that particular fund.

If today we were diversified into 5 funds: $BND; $DBC; $VNQ; $VEU; and $VTI...we'd be long $BND-$VNQ-$VEU and Cash for $DBC - $VEU

Thus 60% invested and 40% cash

If you'd rather use a Daily Chart change the MA period to 160

Here's an example of the $SPY since 1996

If your fund or ETF is relatively new you will need a Daily chart. But still only make moves 1x per month - end of month.

You do THIS ONE simple thing...you will NEVER miss a MAJOR BULL MARKET or miss a MAJOR BEAR MARKET. NEVER!
:blackdot:  for later. Is there an easy way to set up this monthly chart with 8 period Moving Average?

Every sector?

Beyond the fact that we won’t see an unemployment level close to February for many years, the impacts of the social unrest with so many unemployed, plus lots of people not having money, and an economy that isn’t going to be nearly as robust for at least 12-24 months; I find it almost impossible this has been priced in.

if it has, we know that Fed basically controls the market and fiat is useless, no reason to hold it.
Yes but if your local and regional players get wiped out while the national companies are able to survive, who gets the dollars that consumers are able or willing to spend? 

Sold to get ~ 25% cash position a month ago, fearing the jobs data would result in a significant pullback and thus buying opportunity. I now feel extremely stupid for believing that jobs matter to Wall Street,  🤬

COVID-19: Therapeutics and Their Toxicities

Journal of Medical Toxicology

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7192319/

Leronlimab (PRO 140)

Leronlimab (CytoDyn) is an investigational humanized IgG4 monoclonal antibody against CCR5 receptors found on T lymphocytes. Chemokine receptor 5 (CCR5) was first characterized for its role as a co-receptor in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) viral entry into white blood cells [55]. We now recognize that other pathogens, such as Dengue [56] or Staphylococcus aureus [57] also use the CCR5 signaling pathway for entry or as a virulence factor. Leronlimab is being repurposed and investigated as a treatment option for patients with COVID-19 who experience respiratory complications as a result of COVID-19. A single-arm, open-label, multi-center clinical study is set to take place to investigate the clinical improvement in total symptom score (i.e., fever, myalgia, dyspnea, and cough). Currently, leronlimab has a “fast-track” designation from the FDA for HIV and metastatic triple-negative breast cancer [58]. There are no serious side effects or adverse events reported so far. Leronlimab has successfully completed nine phase 1, 2, and 3 clinical trials in about 800 patients for other indications and achieved primary efficacy endpoints [59].

Sold to get ~ 25% cash position a month ago, fearing the jobs data would result in a significant pullback and thus buying opportunity. I now feel extremely stupid for believing that jobs matter to Wall Street,  🤬
It's not that they don't matter. It's that they may be priced in. If someone who does this for a living analyzed unemployment numbers at the beginning of March and said, I bet there are 40 million people unemployed by May, they placed a very low value at that time on the market. When we get to the May unemployment numbers and it's "only" 33.5 million, they raise their value on the market and equities within the market. 

So I’m new at this but don’t plan on it as anything more than a hobby I guess and if I make a few bucks perfect.  I put in $100 in Robinhood. (penn, draft kings, etc) to start.  Any low dollar stocks anyone likes or any tips if I’m just gonna throw in $100 here and there and grab a few stocks? Basically another place of income to store with some risk/reward 

It kind of reminds me of before we crashed.

The headlines for 2 straight weeks in mid-Feb we’re market shrugs off Coronavirus, notches new high.

I noted this at some point in mid-Feb.
Yep. It’s crashing again and will make new lows. 

Has anyone ever won both legs of the stock contest? Asking for a friend. 

You also have to remember that ~20% of the SP 500 are just FAANG companies.   Hard to make the case high unemployment from non-essential service industry workers is really going to impact them all too much.

Mentioned in a table here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41577-020-0331-4/tables/1

As part of this article: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41577-020-0331-4

Dr. Patterson's paper not actually appearing I have to imagine is partially behind the price decrease. Saw a reasonable amount of Twitter chatter it "was" coming out this Thursday. 
Scientific papers must be peer reviewed before they are published.  That means three objective experts in the field of the paper must review the paper in detail to ensure that the methods and conclusions are valid.  Normally, it can take months before a paper goes into peer review but Dr. Patterson's paper was accepted for peer review within days of submission because of its importance. Many have posted links to the pre print (the same paper that is being peer reviewed) but it will likely be a couple of weeks before the paper is published.  Also, the vast majority of papers receive comments or questions that the author must address before publication.  I am sure the authors are working on answering potential questions as we speak.

Anyone care to venture how much is baked into the market prices currently regarding a successful re-opening of the economy starting in a week or so?

As in, are the valuations currently based on a belief that we will be able to more or less successfully reopen the economy/society and see a rapid return to normal?

You also have to remember that ~20% of the SP 500 are just FAANG companies.   Hard to make the case high unemployment from non-essential service industry workers is really going to impact them all too much.
Add in another 20% of the S&P being made up of other Tech companies too?  Tech is in, bigger and better than ever.      

It’s too late to scoop up some draftkings right? Didn’t really believe in it but the belief they will be the gambling go-to is stronger than I thought. 

It's not that they don't matter. It's that they may be priced in. If someone who does this for a living analyzed unemployment numbers at the beginning of March and said, I bet there are 40 million people unemployed by May, they placed a very low value at that time on the market. When we get to the May unemployment numbers and it's "only" 33.5 million, they raise their value on the market and equities within the market. 
At this point, I don't think the market cares very much about these numbers now. An extra 500k or 1 million jobs are just a rounding error. The market is now betting on the rebound so they seem to expect that most of those jobs will come back.  

It's obviously naive to say, job losses = market down. I think for most, it's the dislocation between the market and the economy. 33mn+ people filing for unemployment. Unemployment likely to be in the 15-20% range. Nasdaq positive for the year. SPY only down 11%. That is what I still struggle with.

Yes, the stock market is not the economy and yes, the stock market is more forward looking than the economy. Sure, you don't want to fight the Fed. Yes, historically buying those dips has proven smart. But seems like the market is turning these statements on their head to say that the economy doesn't matter to the stocks. That you should invest with the Fed, etc. 

When you overlay technicals from Mancini, seems like we're going to get consolidation and some potential for near-term upside until the reopening economy numbers come in and a potential second wave in the fall. Know I've said it before but at some point, the market and the economy will meet. The Fed only cares about the stocks on the periphery. I just can't imagine they'll continue to do the same thing if the economy struggles and the stocks stay up. I could envision a scenario where they pull the rug from underneath the market too. Yes, they'll overshoot their target on inflation if they can but if you get a v-shaped recovery, you won't get any Fed stimulus. I wonder how much of the $2.3T they'll invest now. They essentially restarted credit with just the threat of buying so why would they buy now?

Scientific papers must be peer reviewed before they are published.  That means three objective experts in the field of the paper must review the paper in detail to ensure that the methods and conclusions are valid.  Normally, it can take months before a paper goes into peer review but Dr. Patterson's paper was accepted for peer review within days of submission because of its importance. Many have posted links to the pre print (the same paper that is being peer reviewed) but it will likely be a couple of weeks before the paper is published.  Also, the vast majority of papers receive comments or questions that the author must address before publication.  I am sure the authors are working on answering potential questions as we speak.
Yeap - I was just commenting on the perception that may or may not have existed in the general market but definitely existed when I searched "$CYDY" on twitter :)

My CYDY situation:

My independent research consists of an article on Inverse.com about Charlie Sheen, that's it. All of my material reading comes from Chet on the internet along with postings on a FF website. I pay less attention to CYDY than almost anything I own or intend on owning. I can't pronounce the name of their drug or the name of what they're branding it as. I own $20k of this  :lmao:

If it really does explode over the next few years (and I have no intention of selling basically until Chet says so), one day, when I make my sale, I think I'm gonna owe Chet from the internet a nice bottle of Pappy 15 or 23. 

It's almost like...the stock market is not the economy and those job losses plus more were fully anticipated and priced in long ago. 

Such a basic but somehow difficult concept for many to grasp. 

For the 100th time...bad results do NOT make the market go down. WORSE THAN EXPECTED results do. Stock market basics 101.

/rant
The job numbers have been even worse than the awful numbers expected. Your first paragraph and last basically contradict each other.
Also, let's say the stock market is at 100 as a whole with 3% unemployment.

Let's say something happens that causes unemployment to go to 20% in a few months, and that it only ends up dropping the market to 90%.

We've got to assume that at some level of unemployment, the markets value will suffer, regardless of whether it expects that % or not.

I can't see how a market expecting 20% unemployment can maintain close to the same total valuation as it did when unemployment was 4%.  How is this even possible, considering the entire global economy is being affected, if there aren't some other more fundamental assumptions at work that cause the unemployment rate to not drive market valuations.

Expectations like the economy locally and worldwide will return to full force sufficiently quickly to only cause a small downturn in company values/consumer spending/dedt/foreclosures, etc.  An expectation that the government will provide a backdrop against personal losses and corporate losses to a degree that the economic pain felt by temporarily reduced revenues will be minimized and then quickly replaced as people get back to work globally and nationally.

I’ve been around here a long time but I still don’t understand what this pointing to the shirt emoji means. 
Some years ago, a new thread popped up on FBG, started by a brand new account. He was peddling a shirt you could buy that talked about Fantasy Football in some manner or form. He said if you wear it around your buddies on a Sunday afternoon and the RB you drafted runs for 200 and 3 touches, you can just “point to the shirt”. Or any number of other successful draft moves you may have done.

The collective board made fun of him relentlessly and ran him out of town. And then Joe or someone created that custom emoji.

Also, let's say the stock market is at 100 as a whole with 3% unemployment.

Let's say something happens that causes unemployment to go to 20% in a few months, and that it only ends up dropping the market to 90%.

We've got to assume that at some level of unemployment, the markets value will suffer, regardless of whether it expects that % or not.

I can't see how a market expecting 20% unemployment can maintain close to the same total valuation as it did when unemployment was 4%.  How is this even possible, considering the entire global economy is being affected, if there aren't some other more fundamental assumptions at work that cause the unemployment rate to not drive market valuations.

Expectations like the economy locally and worldwide will return to full force sufficiently quickly to only cause a small downturn in company values/consumer spending/dedt/foreclosures, etc.  An expectation that the government will provide a backdrop against personal losses and corporate losses to a degree that the economic pain felt by temporarily reduced revenues will be minimized and then quickly replaced as people get back to work globally and nationally.
One thing missing here is productivity would probably improve as companies get leaner, so unemployment and 100 might not line up on the other side. My productivity in the last month is through the roof.

:lol: I get a small chuckle whenever every single other asset I have is green on the day, and CYDY is red. Not big either way, and it works the other way too, but it's funny to see that be a better hedge than bonds.

NCLH on the ledge....starting at a potential bankruptcy. Stock is up almost 7% today. 

This is a casino. Pure casino not trading on any fundamentals at all. 

I am heavily considering taking some profits off the table and building more cash again to a 30-40% level. I simply hate what I am seeing in the market right now. No regard for the economic tsunami we are going to have and the fallout from this shutdown making its way into consumer demand. This is a serious artificial run like I have never seen. It is based on pure Fed Stimulus, hope and prayers. Not reality. And the problem is.....we cannot know what the reality is. We are flying blind. No guidance at all from any company. No one can sit here and say with a high degree of certainity what is going to happen over the next 12-18 months as a result of this shutdown. But each passing day we stay shutdown digs the hole deeper and deeper and soon the economic reality will meet with the market again. 

Completely out of touch with reality right now. 

I am grappling right now being such a long term bull, but at the same time my common sense is telling me......move some money to the sidelines here to mitigate some potential heavy downside in the short term. 

I felt the 16th thru the 23rd was a great buying opportunity and we have some serious short terms gains we can just take right now. Build some more cash....and again mitigate volatility here. I am stunned how this market is behaving right now. It is quite frankly ludicrous right now and goes against all my fundamental bottom up approach. The market is valued like we are not going into recession.

Think about that.  

I’ve been around here a long time but I still don’t understand what this pointing to the shirt emoji means. 

No to get to far off topic but this is pretty funny FBG history.

FBG FFA Facts with a short explanation.

The thread that started it all.

Somehow the site selling the shirts still exists. The guy has probably made some good money from FBGs buying this is a joke.

NCLH on the ledge....starting at a potential bankruptcy. Stock is up almost 7% today. 

This is a casino. Pure casino not trading on any fundamentals at all. 

I am heavily considering taking some profits off the table and building more cash again to a 30-40% level. I simply hate what I am being in the market right now. No regard for the economic tsunami we are going to have and the fallout from this shutdown making its way into consumer demand. This is a serious artificial run like I have never seen. It is based on pure Fed Stimulus, hope and prayers. Not reality. And the problem is.....we cannot know what the reality is. We are flying blind. No guidance at all from any company. No one can sit here and say with a high degree of certainity what is going to happen over the next 12-18 months as a result of this shutdown. But each passing day we stay shutdown digs the hole deeper and deeper and soon the economic reality will meet with the market again. 

Completely out of touch with reality right now. 

I am grappling right now being such a long term bull, but at the same time my common sense is telling me......move some money to the sidelines here to mitigate some potential heavy downside in the short term. 

I felt the 16th thru the 23rd was a great buying opportunity and we have some serious short terms gains we can just take right now. Build some more cash....and again mitigate volatility here. I am stunned how this market is behaving right now. It is quite frankly ludicrous right now and goes against all my fundamental bottom up approach. The market is valued like we are not going into recession.

Think about that.  
Yep.

I've been very slowly building the bond and cash holdings. 

Users who are viewing this thread