What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (24 Viewers)

stbugs said:
Oh don’t worry, my long term note was 100% not for you! Day trading stuff like that is where it’s at due to the huge fluctuations. Long term, many of them are donuts.

By the way, holy LVGO rocket ship. Kicking myself for only buying 100 shares at $60 instead of 500 at $20 in March. Just very glad I didn’t keep avoiding it since it went up so much.
Yup.  Sold about a 1/3 at $147, just added it back at $143.  Appfolio was up about $10 today too so I thinned some of that.  May keep that in cash and look at Amazon.  Never thought I'd see the day where Amazon looked like a value compared to other tech stocks.

Yup.  Sold about a 1/3 at $147, just added it back at $143.  Appfolio was up about $10 today too so I thinned some of that.  May keep that in cash and look at Amazon.  Never thought I'd see the day where Amazon looked like a value compared to other tech stocks.
APPF has been on my watch list for a while, never bought. I finally bought some KNSL before earnings last week, popped nicely as well. Watching both for a while, but like KNSL a little more for long term. Both were sitting at $80 in March just like everything else.

APPF has been on my watch list for a while, never bought. I finally bought some KNSL before earnings last week, popped nicely as well. Watching both for a while, but like KNSL a little more for long term. Both were sitting at $80 in March just like everything else.
I have never worked with a better company from a customer service standpoint than Appfolio.  Also they are they good at leveraging additional add on services that they are making bank on.

I have never worked with a better company from a customer service standpoint than Appfolio.  Also they are they good at leveraging additional add on services that they are making bank on.
How much money and stock tips do I need to throw at you before you give me something like this before the earnings report? I knew nothing about them except the rec that added them to my watch list. A little tidbit like that would have been helpful!

Attempting to take a position in Appfolio appf.  Awesome software.  Staff is the best I've ever worked with.  They are expanding from rental properties to HOA mgmt.

How much money and stock tips do I need to throw at you before you give me something like this before the earnings report? I knew nothing about them except the rec that added them to my watch list. A little tidbit like that would have been helpful!

Damn it. How did I miss that one? May have to see if it settles a bit and dive in. I hated buying KNSL in the 160s when I had a shot in the 80s in March, but sometimes you jump in and it’s really not late if you hold a good company for years. This seems like a long term potential hold.

Damn it. How did I miss that one? May have to see if it settles a bit and dive in. I hated buying KNSL in the 160s when I had a shot in the 80s in March, but sometimes you jump in and it’s really not late if you hold a good company for years. This seems like a long term potential hold.
Buried in the CYDY talk.

I did thin my position today.  I went a little heavy on the front end and Amazon is looking more attractive.  Trying to keep a good balance of companies like LVGO, SE, CRM, FLGT, etc and have been shuttling money between them when one pops or one dips.  While they (Appfolio) have great employees and mgmt and are executing well, they do have a lot of competition.  I'm also concerned that the rental market isn't as big as some other markets these tech companies are in.  They are charging about $1.20 a property on the rental side and 80 cents on the HOA side.  That's probably to much on the HOA side to make big in roads.  I'm small potatoes in that market so others are likely getting better pricing on the HOA side.  Regardless, that's not a lot of coin.  Let's say I manage a 1000 rental homes, they are collecting $1200 a month for their software.  Where they are making their coin is on credit reports and probably payment processing fees charged to tenants using credit cards.  This year I switched to their ACH from the bank and they charge 50 cents a transaction.  I also added there paper check service where they will print a check, stamp, and mail for 80 cents.  They also sell maintenance series, website services, and renter's insurance.  Very pro-active in trying to get us to integrate those services.  With the WFH model, a lot of these add ons make sense as you can get work done by just clicking buttons.

I'm struggling to put a portfolio weight on them.

@sporthenry and other Tanker guys.  What's going on with the tanker companies wanting to raise money by issuing more stock?  Why not use some of the Q2 revenue?  Looks like the price hasn't been hit that hard, but I'm thinking I need to exit after earnings.  thoughts?

@sporthenry and other Tanker guys.  What's going on with the tanker companies wanting to raise money by issuing more stock?  Why not use some of the Q2 revenue?  Looks like the price hasn't been hit that hard, but I'm thinking I need to exit after earnings.  thoughts?
I have given up trying to understand the tanker industry. So many things that just seem counterintuitive and backwards. That said, I’m holding until the next round of earnings reports. Will bail this fall at some point.

You guys seeing these Mobile Mini pods all over the place?  I first noticed them when I tried to pull into Target a couple months back and got blocked by these pods.  Saw they were publicly traded under MINI and so I looked at the stock price and they were 25ish, beaten down in the sell off.  Ever since, I've just watched and this thing is really moving back towards 52 week highs.  And I still see them everywhere; outside of stores, businesses, etc.  

Decent P/E of 22 with an annual dividend paying 3.22%.  I might establish a starter position in this one, but curious if you guys are seeing them all over - they look like this.
Checking back in here - this stock is now Willscot Mobile Mini - WSC.  I bought it before the merger and now hold all of 300 shares.  Up a whopping $250 on this one, but I really like the play on long term instability in the retail and commercial real estate markets.  I see these frigging things all over the city of Portland.  Not sure if that's a compelling reason to buy, but I did so.  :shrug:

Might buy one of their pods and move into it.  Not sure I'll survive life at home when my wife homeschools our kids.

What: Date of Nikola Q2 2020 Financial Results and Q&A Webcast

When: Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Time: 4:30 p.m. ET (1:30 p.m. PT)

Webcast: https://nikolamotor.com/investors/news?active=events (live and replay)

I expect this to bump the stock. NP should study?

Was waiting for Disney to get crushed on earnings to get back in and that is not going to happen. :kicksrock:  
Here are the key numbers:

Earnings per share: 8 cents vs. loss of 64 cents expected, according to Refinitiv

Revenue: $11.78 billion, vs $12.37 billion expected, according to Refinitiv

Here’s how Disney’s segments did in the third quarter in terms of revenue compared to the same quarter last year:

Media Networks: $6.56 billion, down 2%

Parks, Experiences and Products: $983 million, down 85%

Studio Entertainment: $1.74 billion, down 55%

Direct-to-Consumer and International: $3.97 billion, up 2%
Mgmt knocked it out of the park not losing money on the quarter.  

Stock is at 35.34 at beg. of call

Cleared on my INN holdings today sans 1 tracking share, up 5% since yesterday.  This has been a great day trading stock recently.
Yay - I recommended that POS!
I've been making a killing on your recommendations.  Sold some NRGU that I bought yesterday for a 5% gain.  

Up 16.4% last month despite starting the month 20% invested in cydy and that being down 20% on the month.  Would have been a 20% month.

Interestingly enough, my Fidelity statement was also up 20% from 40 pages to 48 pages. 

Mgmt knocked it out of the park not losing money on the quarter.  
Not sure how they did that. I’d be more worried about the huge success of Disney+ and the revenue was down even more than the cut projections. They went from over $20B in revenue last year to $11B. That’s a big drop.

I’d say they did some interesting gymnastics to stay positive on earnings since their full year earnings in 2019 was $11B. Losing $10B in revenue in a quarter and your profit goes down only a couple billion? That’s a lot of laid off workers. Anyway, I’d be more concerned that Disney+ did fantastic and they missed revenue estimates by $1B. That tells me that the park, cruise, movie and sports revenue are so much more and that’s not going back to normal for a while.

Not sure how they did that. I’d be more worried about the huge success of Disney+ and the revenue was down even more than the cut projections. They went from over $20B in revenue last year to $11B. That’s a big drop.

I’d say they did some interesting gymnastics to stay positive on earnings since their full year earnings in 2019 was $11B. Losing $10B in revenue in a quarter and your profit goes down only a couple billion? That’s a lot of laid off workers. Anyway, I’d be more concerned that Disney+ did fantastic and they missed revenue estimates by $1B. That tells me that the park, cruise, movie and sports revenue are so much more and that’s not going back to normal for a while.
I totally agree.  It's enough to keep the stock price proper up, but it paints a bleak picture for the rest of the year.  The reality is that it's priced for 2022 not 2020.  Works for tech stocks so maybe it will work for Goofy

Was really hoping for an opportunity to load up on more Disney for cheaper today :kicksrock:

Also LOL pay extra $30 on top of Disney+ subscription to watch Mulan. 

Was really hoping for an opportunity to load up on more Disney for cheaper today :kicksrock:

Also LOL pay extra $30 on top of Disney+ subscription to watch Mulan. 
Eh, I mean if you wanted to go see it in the theatre with 2 people you’d pay more than that. Take a family of 4 and substantially more. Frankly I think it’s a fair deal. I’ve done quite a few of the 20 dollar rentals during the pandemic. 

Not looking good. Sounds like a NP clone

Eh, I mean if you wanted to go see it in the theatre with 2 people you’d pay more than that. Take a family of 4 and substantially more. Frankly I think it’s a fair deal. I’ve done quite a few of the 20 dollar rentals during the pandemic. 
:goodposting:  

This is on top of a subscription fee you are already paying though, which seems pretty excessive considering their streaming competition (Prime, Netflix) now includes big budget new release movies for free within their subscription.

This is on top of a subscription fee you are already paying though, which seems pretty excessive considering their streaming competition (Prime, Netflix) now includes big budget new release movies for free within their subscription.
The Mickey nerds would pay almost any amount. Smart of Disney to separate them from their money

Netflix charges 3x more for their subscription. Everything on prime is crap. 

Everything on prime is crap. 
They have a solid lineup imo, but for sure are behind Netflix. 

SEUT- Mrs. Maisel, The Expanse

Top tier - Fleabag, The Boys, Counterpart, Hanna, Man in the High Castle

Others- Good Omens, Jack Ryan, Electric Dreams, Goliath, Bosch, Tales from the Loop, Undone

Also, their 4K streaming is pretty nice(better than Netflix for me), especially for a series like The Expanse. 

stock at 33.70 at end of call.

I was WAY off base on this one.
I’m going to double down in hopes that the Robin Hood or see it as a buying opportunity tomorrowI’m going to double down in hopes that the Robin Hood or see it as a buying opportunity tomorrow

I missed the boat on FSLY.  Still time to jump on board or smarter money to get into NET?

Also what the heck is the deal with LVGO? Where is this one headed?

just curious, but what are some of your top individual long-term stock holdings?

this is my top-10 list:

AMZN,
AAPL,
XYL,
NFLX,
GOOG and GOOGL,
DIS,
BRK.B,
COST,
MRK,
JPM
My core I won’t mess with except for increasing are:

AAPL, SE, O, ABBV, ABT, MSFT, V, JPM, CDW

Still trying to zero in on a few core so I trade around those for a while. Started with IBM, want to see if they show evidence of the turnaround for a couple of quarters because if they do, I think it can take off. Have small positions in NET, RPRX, ZI to see if any of those can stay on the island.

They have a solid lineup imo, but for sure are behind Netflix. 

SEUT- Mrs. Maisel, The Expanse

Top tier - Fleabag, The Boys, Counterpart, Hanna, Man in the High Castle

Others- Good Omens, Jack Ryan, Electric Dreams, Goliath, Bosch, Tales from the Loop, Undone

Also, their 4K streaming is pretty nice(better than Netflix for me), especially for a series like The Expanse. 
I was thinking movies but you’re correct. Maisel and Fleabag are two of my favorite shows in the past 5 years. So, yea I am wrong on that one. 

Does anyone here use vanguard?

wondering if I sell VTI for example today...can I buy it back tomorrow without a fee or penalty? Thought I read somewhere that vanguard discourages those types of things but I wasn’t sure if it was just a no no in the same day?

Users who are viewing this thread