Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

1 minute ago, caustic said:

I didn’t, and have been watching it steadily crawl higher without me for a few months now. Thankfully, renewable stocks went on such a tear that the ones I invested in still did really well. I ended up with BEP (+17%), TPIC (+51%), and VSLR (+258%), so can’t kick myself too much. The HASI tip was a good one though. :thumbup:

Nice, wow. Any of those three have room to run in your opinion? 

• Replies 49.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fantasycurse42

• BassNBrew

• stbugs

• St. Louis Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First reference.  Brings a tear to my eye. $CYDY #notselling

"I know, dear, but I'm trusting Chet on this one. Yes, Chet. From the internet. "

I cashed out an underperforming account at ETrade about a year ago and the cash (about $950) just sat there as I had dulled on trading.  My cousin's wife Laura, who I was really close to, then di

15 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Nice, wow. Any of those three have room to run in your opinion? 

I thought VSLR was done running a month ago, so I have no idea on that one. They’re being bought out by RUN, which is what triggered the massive surge. Got lucky there.

TPIC may still have some upside. They make wind turbine blades and electric car parts, and I opened a position planning on a Biden victory / climate bill. Since then, Biden came out with a green stimulus plan that called for zero-carbon electricity and investment in EV infrastructure, so that’s right up their alley. Here’s a good SA article on them.

BEP is a relatively steady + high dividend play similar to HASI, and I’m pretty much expecting more steadiness in the future. It’s the safer part of my renewables portfolio.

• Thanks 1

Kohl's down on a good report.  I will look to build a position below $20 if it gets there.

HD crushed the numbers, but my $294 after hours sale looks to have been the right call as the price is currently at $290.  I may rotate this money elsewhere it we get a pulled to the $270s.  Really unsure how I want to proceed here.

24 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Kohl's down on a good report.  I will look to build a position below $20 if it gets there.

HD crushed the numbers, but my $294 after hours sale looks to have been the right call as the price is currently at $290.  I may rotate this money elsewhere it we get a pulled to the $270s.  Really unsure how I want to proceed here.

I'd probably just buy some stuff...sell some stuff.....buy some more stuff.....buy some more, and then sell some more....and then buy back in when it dips.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
5 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

I'd probably just buy some stuff...sell some stuff.....buy some more stuff.....buy some more, and then sell some more....and then buy back in when it dips.

What’s he supposed to do after 10am?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 4

Someone please explain dividends to me.

Take DHT... 30%+ dividend.  Why wouldn't everyone here put every dollar they own into this stock over the next week before the ex div date?

Is it more complicated than that?  Is that dividend date not a sure thing?  The dividend itself not a sure thing a week out?

Edited by matuski
1 minute ago, matuski said:

Take DHT... 30%+ dividend.  Why wouldn't everyone here put every dollar they own into this stock over the next week before the ex div date?

Is it more complicated than that?  Is that dividend date not a sure thing?  The dividend itself not a sure thing a week out?

For me, it’s that I don’t understand tankers and don’t want to learn. I don’t want to risk losing more in stock value than I gain in dividend though I have to admit, 30% seems kind of hard to imagine. I look forward to what the TankerGuys have to say

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, matuski said:

Stock could drop 40% ex dividend date?

Just now, Nugget said:

Stock could drop 40% ex dividend date?

Will it?  I understand it can... I am trying to understand the likelyhood.  The dividend pays out and the stock price drops the amount of the payout?

4 minutes ago, matuski said:

Because the price of the stock will decrease by roughly the amount of the dividend. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, matuski said:

Will it?  I understand it can... I am trying to understand the likelyhood.  The dividend pays out and the stock price drops the amount of the payout?

As an oversimplified example, imagine a company that is worth $100 and has 100 outstanding shares.  Each share is thus worth $1.  The company announces that they're going to take $30 out of the company and pay it to all the shareholders (i.e. a dividend).  The company still has 100 outstanding shares but is now only worth $70.  How much is a share worth?  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

As an oversimplified example, imagine a company that is worth $100 and has 100 outstanding shares.  Each share is thus worth $1.  The company announces that they're going to take $30 out of the company and pay it to all the shareholders (i.e. a dividend).  The company still has 100 outstanding shares but is now only worth $70.  How much is a share worth?  

Got it.  Now is that how it plays out in real life in a direct 1 to 1 relationship?

eta - $.70 to answer Q

Edited by matuski
5 minutes ago, matuski said:

Got it.  Now is that how it plays out in real life in a direct 1 to 1 relationship?

eta - $.70 to answer Q

There was some twitter talk about this around the last ex dividend date. It’s really close to 1 to 1. No such thing as a free lunch. 

3 minutes ago, matuski said:

eta - $.70 to answer Q

That’s the rub. REITs have been paying out dividends since the beginning and they usually pay out most of their income that way. The big question is can they grow and grow their dividends while paying out the cash to get that double appreciation on your money. Same with high dividend stocks. The tough part is something like this where 30% is not sustainable. The stock price has dropped so far that the dividend rate is huge. I don’t know tankers are all either so no clue and I probably wouldn’t invest not knowing enough. Dividends are also typically cut when they get this high as a huge dividend is typically symbolic of a stock price plummeting versus being increased every year like J&J.

1 hour ago, caustic said:

They crushed Q2. E-commerce revenue up 187.7% YoY, digital gaming revenue up 61.6%.

https://twitter.com/slingshotcap/status/1295668005465018368?s=21

We were discussing how to strategize SE going forward. I trimmed a small amount prior to earnings to lock in some profits but mostly just in case there was a post-earnings dip. I don’t regret it but that obviously didn’t happen although we’ll see how the day plays out.

In any event, I’m adding and my strategy is to now just unemotionally add a set amount of shares each quarter.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, matuski said:

eta - $.70 to answer Q

Price on 8-10 was 5.61.  Dividend is .48.  That would be $6.09.  Price now is $6.31.  IMO the dividend ship has sailed.  Last quarter after the massive dividend it dropped to the low 5's where I mentioned was a great entry point.  I would suggest waiting until September and look to build a position in the mid 5s.

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That’s the rub. REITs have been paying out dividends since the beginning and they usually pay out most of their income that way. The big question is can they grow and grow their dividends while paying out the cash to get that double appreciation on your money. Same with high dividend stocks. The tough part is something like this where 30% is not sustainable. The stock price has dropped so far that the dividend rate is huge. I don’t know tankers are all either so no clue and I probably wouldn’t invest not knowing enough. Dividends are also typically cut when they get this high as a huge dividend is typically symbolic of a stock price plummeting versus being increased every year like J&J.

The tanker sector is out of favor.  The dividend is sustainable if their guidance was accurate.  This was just a great opportunity to pick up stocks like DHT and FRO on the cheap.

I would suggest if anyone wants to buy into this sector that FRO would be a good buy.  I expect a big dividend and they don't report to 8-31.  You should see a DHT type of run up.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

The tanker sector is out of favor.  The dividend is sustainable if their guidance was accurate.  This was just a great opportunity to pick up stocks like DHT and FRO on the cheap.

I would suggest if anyone wants to buy into this sector that FRO would be a good buy.  I expect a big dividend and they don't report to 8-31.  You should see a DHT type of run up.

For DHT, are you planning on selling on the Ex-Date then?  

1 minute ago, beef said:

For DHT, are you planning on selling on the Ex-Date then?  

Not sure yet.  I do like them longer term.  The investor in me says those shares I bought at $5.04 to $5.15 become free in 2.5 years.  The trader says to sell and reacquire at a lower price.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4367974-dht-holdings-inc-2020-q2-results-earnings-call-presentation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Capella said:

What caused amazon to pop this morning. 

split? :unsure:

I was thinking it could be spillover from WMT’s great e-commerce numbers this morning, but that’s just a guess.

21 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Note - I fully expect both HD and SE to fall a couple percentages after earnings are released. 

But I'm holding as I like both long term.

Glad to be wrong with SE 

HD fell a little but you have to like the numbers.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Capella said:

Adding 3500 tech jobs at it's hubs.  Or maybe Bezos was constipated for a couple of days and finally pooped.  

Edited by beef
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

LOL...Home depot down almost $3 on the day on killer good earnings news.

Or roughly 1% 

I truly don't care about the real $ figure, it's the percentage that matters.

Also, it's almost exactly where it was 24 hours ago.

Edited by -OZ-
1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

Do these figures get posted anywhere?

The high listed is $290. Not AH, hence the question.

8 minutes ago, Capella said:

Split would be much higher. Look at Tesla. I’m sorry but going up 40-45% because of a split is ludicrous. The whole idea that more people will buy it at the split price is silly. Seems like people have no issue buying it now. Their PE is 950 and they have had positive earnings for the last year (had to to get into S&P) and they made most of their earnings on selling tax credits. I know Apple and Amazon and other tech giants aren’t cheap but Tesla’s price makes them look like amazing bargains.

Just now, stbugs said:

Split would be much higher. Look at Tesla. I’m sorry but going up 40-45% because of a split is ludicrous. The whole idea that more people will buy it at the split price is silly. Seems like people have no issue buying it now. Their PE is 950 and they have had positive earnings for the last year (had to to get into S&P) and they made most of their earnings on selling tax credits. I know Apple and Amazon and other tech giants aren’t cheap but Tesla’s price makes them look like amazing bargains.

Agreed, it does seem silly.  950 P/E is f'n insane. 

But then I'm reminded of the new investor that likes "cheap" stocks...   

14 minutes ago, beef said:

What makes that P/E even more ridiculous is how much of the earnings aren’t from their products. This link is pretty crazy considering the recent run up due to the split: https://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2020/07/23/avoid-tesla-stock-after-428m-tax-credits-sale/#10ad09617247

Every quarter in the last year would be negative earnings outside of the tax credit revenue. That’s with $26B in sales. Profitability is a potential issue.

There’s 4 stocks (plenty more that I waited too long or didn’t buy more) that I wish I bought in March/earlier this year, TSLA, MELI, SE and NVDA. Watched all of them and pondered all but SE in the bottom week. TSLA might be the only one that right now I really have a hard time buying. The other three I’ll probably throw some money at in the second half. Not sure I am hoping for another dip but it wouldn’t surprise me. Happy with what I did buy. Wish I dumped the other thread stock at the end of June. I probably would have snapped up SE around $100 a few weeks ago and maybe NVDA closer to $400 (why I decided against buying under $200 is beyond me). I don’t have a ton of cash (10%, mainly due to SPs increasing) so not wanting to go 100% cash right now.

Edited by stbugs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Split would be much higher. Look at Tesla. I’m sorry but going up 40-45% because of a split is ludicrous. The whole idea that more people will buy it at the split price is silly.

It should be but it’s not. It’s anecdotal but you can see people posting in investment communities everywhere they won’t buy Tesla, etc. because of the price even though fractional shares exist. They want whole shares. That’s one of the reasons they end up in EV alternatives with no products.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, beef said:

That stock is my biggest candidate for a massive drop wiping out a lot of peoples paper fortunes in it. Anyone who bought that stock in the high 20’s (yes in 2011 it was trading around 25 and change and I bought it.....and sold it in the 300’s thinking I made an amazing trade and I never got back in) and is still holding are out of their minds not selling here if they had held this long.

For an old school guy like me who does not see the earnings growth needed to justify this multiple and does not buy into the entire cult like hype that they are going to be the only game in town with EV.....this price is truly insane. I can admit it. I simply don’t get it. Nor do I want to. It feels like the Hindenburg. And at some point it is going to burn to ground when true fundamental reality hits the stock if it does not do whatever the hell people who keep piling into it expect it to do. 

Somebody tell me.....why should I buy this stock at this price. What is going to make Tesla produce revenue like Apple. Or even Walmart for that matter. Please educate me on this one. 

And I get it. They are a disrupter. And they are the first. But I do not see the entire country all driving around in Tesla’s and I do not envision everyone using them for their technology. Other car makers will have their own EV models and options. Maybe I am wrong. But I would really love to know what Tesla stock holders are expecting here. Again if you even bought in the low 200’s you should be taking all those profits and not look back. fantastic trade. I can’t see it being sustained based on pure fundamentals. 

Edited by Todem
  • Like 6
9 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

It should be but it’s not. It’s anecdotal but you can see people posting in investment communities everywhere they won’t buy Tesla, etc. because of the price even though fractional shares exist. They want whole shares. That’s one of the reasons they end up in EV alternatives with no products.

The average volume is 13M. Walmart has about the same market cap and a share price a bit over $100. Daily volume of Tesla is 50% more even at a share price almost 15x Walmart’s. It’s silly. Anyone who won’t by a fractional share or won’t buy because they can’t afford 1 or more shares isn’t moving the share price. The share price of Tesla is driving people into EV alternatives, not because they can’t afford Tesla, but because they are hoping that $30 stock becomes a $1800 stock.

18 minutes ago, Todem said:

That stock is my biggest candidate for a massive drop wiping out a lot of peoples paper fortunes in it. Anyone who bought that stock in the high 20’s (yes in 2011 it was trading around 25 and change and I bought it.....and sold it in the 300’s thinking I made an amazing trade and I never got back in) and is still holding are out of their minds not selling here if they had held this long.

For an old school guy like me who does not see the earnings growth needed to justify this multiple and does not buy into the entire cult like hype that they are going to be the only game in town with EV.....this price is truly insane. I can admit it. I simply don’t get it. Nor do I want to. It feels like the Hindenburg. And at some point it is going to burn to ground when true fundamental reality hits the stock if it does not do whatever the hell people who keep piling into it expect it to do. 

Somebody tell me.....why should I buy this stock at this price. What is going to make Tesla produce revenue like Apple. Or even Walmart for that matter. Please educate me on this one. 

And I get it. They are a disrupter. And they are the first. But I do not see the entire country all driving around in Tesla’s and I do not envision everyone using them for their technology. Other car makers will have their own EV models and options. Maybe I am wrong. But I would really love to know what Tesla stock holders are expecting here. Again if you even bought in the low 200’s you should be taking all those profits and not look back. fantastic trade. I can’t see it being sustained based on pure fundamentals. 

I've been selling along the way, will sell more tomorrow then hold until it kind the S&P 500. Then probably reduce my holdings again.

8 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

For those that trade on Fidelity, fractional shares are now available on the website. AFAIK previously it was only available on the Fidelity app.

I don't get it - why would fractional shares have only been available on the app? (I've heard this before but don't understand why)

14 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The average volume is 13M. Walmart has about the same market cap and a share price a bit over $100. Daily volume of Tesla is 50% more even at a share price almost 15x Walmart’s. It’s silly. Anyone who won’t by a fractional share or won’t buy because they can’t afford 1 or more shares isn’t moving the share price. The share price of Tesla is driving people into EV alternatives, not because they can’t afford Tesla, but because they are hoping that $30 stock becomes a $1800 stock.

I said one of the reasons. A hope for a HR is another, like you said. Just because we think it’s stupid doesn’t mean there’s plenty of others who don’t.

Back on the dividend discussion, I've been trading dividends in one of my old IRA's just to get a feel for how the market moves with them and my anecdotal findings are as follows.  This is all for stocks with dividends over 5%.

The price in the ones I've traded tends to rise in the week or so up to the ex-dividend date and/or the dividend announcement.  If you're buying the day before ex-div, in a lot of cases it's already too late. 

My basic idea was buy before the ex-div, then hold until the price bounces back to where it was when I bought after SP drops the dividend percentage.  However I've found that generally there has been a bit of a sell-off on/after the ex-div date after all the people that bought lower cash out.

DHT has already run-up quite a bit  Based on my anecdotal experiences with that I expect it to fade off pretty hard after the ex-div date, though that may be affected by the asterisk below. 

To some extent so has FRO has already run up recently as well as I think people are anticipating a good dividend announcement after seeing DHT run-up.  I'm not sure if it's too late to get into that one or not.  If they announce a good dividend it could run-up like DHT but I think it's also a very real possibility that is already priced in with its recent run-up and it could be a sell the news type of situation.

So far in my limited time goofing off with trading dividends in my IRA I have lost money.  Not trading large amounts as I'm just trying to get a feel for it here, but so far what I've learned is you definitely have to be early on buying well before the ex-div date typically, although that leaves you susceptible to market movements in the meantime.

All in all, there's very little easy money in the stock market and so far this definitely hasn't been an exception to that.

***I thought I read somewhere that if the dividend is over 25% you have to hold the stock through the payout date and not just until ex-div date like you typically would.  This is relevant to me as I have a good chunk of DHT but I can't find a clear answer on this.  I'll probably just hold to be safe as I've been holding this one a while anyways but it is very relevant for @BassNBrew @beef @matuski who had mentioned selling on ex-div date with that stock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

I said one of the reasons. A hope for a HR is another, like you said. Just because we think it’s stupid doesn’t mean there’s plenty of others who don’t.

I get the anecdotes but my silly comment was about the 40-45% run up due to the split. Splits are usually only done when a stock is growing and doing well so to a degree the whole split = share price run up is kind of redundant. I don’t think the run up post split is due to cheaper shares and wider ownership. I think it’s just a continuation of a company doing well. What we see here is out of whack.

18 hours ago, -OZ- said:

(LRNZ, SE, QCLN).

Already had some of the first two (good grief I should have bought a crapload of SE), but not QCLN.  So I bought some to be a sheeple.  

• Thanks 1