What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (15 Viewers)

Michael Jordan joining the DKNG board has nothing to do with Jordan's business acumen.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one might start hurting me a bit to the point I cut some losses and shave it a bit.  Not there yet, but not sure I want to buy it down more either.   

This one might start hurting me a bit to the point I cut some losses and shave it a bit.  Not there yet, but not sure I want to buy it down more either.   
It did this last quarter. Their guidance was good and the dividend is huge.  I’ll trade it here between $5 and $5.25.  Check out the slide presentation on the CNBC news section 

you can read the comments in this thread and see why it’s beaten down.

yearly dividend is 1.92. In 2.5 years this stock is free. 

It did this last quarter. Their guidance was good and the dividend is huge.  I’ll trade it here between $5 and $5.25.  Check out the slide presentation on the CNBC news section 

you can read the comments in this thread and see why it’s beaten down.

yearly dividend is 1.92. In 2.5 years this stock is free. 
But there is almost no chance they keep this dividend long-term, right?

EURN already cut theirs by almost half since last quarter.

Rebalanced today.  Moved 3% of invested assets from equity funds to bond funds.  Mostly in my 401k, but a little movement in my taxable account too (yes, I'll be paying some add'l capital gains taxes next spring).

I just have to start banking some gains.  What a tremendous run!

FMCI and even OPES jumped high today.

Another good lesson on holding if you like a company. FMCI jumped up to $19 a couple months ago and dropped well below that but I liked it long term and now it’s almost at $23. Nowadays is such instant gratification that long term investing is not in vogue. OPES still has a way to go though! APPN is actually another great example. Bought it last October, ups and downs and mainly flat to down a little all year. It’s now up 40% in 11 months. It pales in comparison to some skyrockets but that’s a great gain I’d take any time.

Selling covered calls = safe, downside limited

Selling naked calls = unlimited loss potential

Buying Puts, Calls = safe, downside limited

Selling puts = unlimited loss potential

Sorry - have to disagree with you on that one.  When evaluating whether to get into these vehicles (futures, options, leveraged ETFs), it's always good to see the worst that can happen.  A good story to peruse the the optionsellers saga.  On levered items, the TVIX debacle.

Totally IMO, but I believe that just buying and selling stocks is hard enough.  Adding a time component makes options so incredibly difficult that I highly doubt most amateurs come out ahead.  Options are a zero sum game - there is a winner and a loser.  At least in the markets if you just buy and forget you have a ~70% chance that it'll rise over time.
Selling a cash-secured put has limited downside. If you sell a put at some strike price, you collect the premium but are obligated to buy 100 shares of that stock at that price. If the stock goes to zero, you just bought 100 shares for whatever price and you lost all your money (though you get to collect your premium). Had you outright bought 100 shares of that stock and it went to 0, you're out all of your money and you never collected a premium. The downside risk is less for selling a put than it is for buying a stock outright but the potential gains are significantly lower. It's Ichiro. Trying to hit a lot of singles, bagging a lot of smaller premiums using a lower-risk trading strategy. Naked puts are a totally different thing and that's not what I am talking about. 

FMCI and even OPES jumped high today.

Another good lesson on holding if you like a company. FMCI jumped up to $19 a couple months ago and dropped well below that but I liked it long term and now it’s almost at $23. Nowadays is such instant gratification that long term investing is not in vogue. OPES still has a way to go though! APPN is actually another great example. Bought it last October, ups and downs and mainly flat to down a little all year. It’s now up 40% in 11 months. It pales in comparison to some skyrockets but that’s a great gain I’d take any time.
I know what you mean.

I'm in HUGE at 10.74  and now its at 2.85

Selling a cash-secured put has limited downside. If you sell a put at some strike price, you collect the premium but are obligated to buy 100 shares of that stock at that price. If the stock goes to zero, you just bought 100 shares for whatever price and you lost all your money (though you get to collect your premium). Had you outright bought 100 shares of that stock and it went to 0, you're out all of your money and you never collected a premium. The downside risk is less for selling a put than it is for buying a stock outright but the potential gains are significantly lower. It's Ichiro. Trying to hit a lot of singles, bagging a lot of smaller premiums using a lower-risk trading strategy. Naked puts are a totally different thing and that's not what I am talking about. 
While you can certainly lose money with a cash secured put, really the biggest "risk" with it is in opportunity cost.  Essentially you are significantly capping your upside on a stock you feel bullish enough about to buy.

For instance selling a $15 put on DKNG for $100 on its IPO instead of just buying it for $17 was a nice single, but it means you missed out on the $2800 you would have made just buying the shares as the stock ran all the way up to $45.

Selling puts definitely has its place, but I think it's limited mostly to stocks that you kind of like a little bit and think are overvalued, but you might be interested in them if they were cheaper.  If you have any real bullish inclination towards a stock you are taking big opportunity risk by selling a put against it instead of just buying it. 

While you can certainly lose money with a cash secured put, really the biggest "risk" with it is in opportunity cost.  Essentially you are significantly capping your upside on a stock you feel bullish enough about to buy.

For instance selling a $15 put on DKNG for $100 on its IPO instead of just buying it for $17 was a nice single, but it means you missed out on the $2800 you would have made just buying the shares as the stock ran all the way up to $45.

Selling puts definitely has its place, but I think it's limited mostly to stocks that you kind of like a little bit and think are overvalued, but you might be interested in them if they were cheaper.  If you have any real bullish inclination towards a stock you are taking big opportunity risk by selling a put against it instead of just buying it. 
Yep, bullish I buy. Neutral or if I think it is overpriced, I sell a put. Exactly right.

SHAREHOLDER ALERT: WeissLaw LLP Investigates DiamondPeak Holdings Corp.

WeissLaw is investigating whether DPHC's board acted in the best interest of DPHC's public shareholders in agreeing to the proposed transaction, whether the board was fully informed as to the valuation of Lordstown Motors, whether the deal's equity split is fair to DPHC shareholders, and whether all information regarding the valuation of the transaction will be fully and fairly disclosed to DPHC public shareholders. 

My God the S&P is up TWELVE PERCENT on the year :lmao:  How is that even remotely possible??
Good question. I know why tech stocks have flown because most (not just ZM) have actually being exceeding forecasts, but when stocks that  are down 50-90% in revenue are at ATHs that seems a bit odd. Not all are at ATHs but enough. I guess companies with layoffs actually reduce cost so companies aren’t always in lock step with people losing jobs, etc. Obviously, they feel an impact but they can make cuts or in some cases invest in tech to lower costs.

Looks like day 2 in what is usually about a 3 day high flying tech pullback. 
Yep. Funny that it all started with a huge jump. That said, I’m not reacting to this one because it’s happened over and over until people realize that they are the companies still growing and exceeding forecasts.

SHAREHOLDER ALERT: WeissLaw LLP Investigates DiamondPeak Holdings Corp.

WeissLaw is investigating whether DPHC's board acted in the best interest of DPHC's public shareholders in agreeing to the proposed transaction, whether the board was fully informed as to the valuation of Lordstown Motors, whether the deal's equity split is fair to DPHC shareholders, and whether all information regarding the valuation of the transaction will be fully and fairly disclosed to DPHC public shareholders. 
Is this real or just another one of those ambulance chasers? I say that because in the middle of my run with ZM from $67 to over $400 there have been a couple of these lawsuit/legal announcements. I think if you lost money on ZM outside of buying at $450, then you deserve to stand in the corner.

My God the S&P is up TWELVE PERCENT on the year :lmao:  How is that even remotely possible??
Because I buy a new Tesla and iPhone and place a dozen orders on Amazon every day with all the printed money Powell Paypals me.

Is this real or just another one of those ambulance chasers? I say that because in the middle of my run with ZM from $67 to over $400 there have been a couple of these lawsuit/legal announcements. I think if you lost money on ZM outside of buying at $450, then you deserve to stand in the corner.
No idea.  Came across my Google news feed.  But I'm not about to close out my DPHC position.

Yep. Funny that it all started with a huge jump. That said, I’m not reacting to this one because it’s happened over and over until people realize that they are the companies still growing and exceeding forecasts.
I’ll do some dip-buying. The little bit of AAPL I sold is below where I sold it so I might buy some of it back, and see if anything seems overdone.

McBokonon said:
I’ll do some dip-buying. The little bit of AAPL I sold is below where I sold it so I might buy some of it back, and see if anything seems overdone.
Yeah, maybe. I am not flush with cash. Of course FLGT has a big pop today after I decided to let it go. SMH, I’ll keep watching and hard to be mad with 80% in 6 months.

MDB still holding on to a little gain with solid earnings last night but looking red overall. RKT and CRWD appear to have disappointed. CRWD exceeded but their forecast wasn’t as good as expected. Both of those are down 10% pre-market. 

MDB still holding on to a little gain with solid earnings last night but looking red overall. RKT and CRWD appear to have disappointed. CRWD exceeded but their forecast wasn’t as good as expected. Both of those are down 10% pre-market. 
Adding more CRWD to my g/f’s IRA. Beat, raise, and analyst price target increases with a dip like this is perfect for the long term view.

I’m consistently about 20% cash and will be until there’s a treatment and we get a real idea of the economic impact. Keeping core positions intact and trading a little around them.

Adding more CRWD to my g/f’s IRA. Beat, raise, and analyst price target increases with a dip like this is perfect for the long term view.

I’m consistently about 20% cash and will be until there’s a treatment and we get a real idea of the economic impact. Keeping core positions intact and trading a little around them.
Been watching CRWD for a while and should have just bought a little but I own a lot of OKTA and ZS so felt pretty well covered in the space.

Escaped my flgt hole with a nice profit. Also sold off some dht on the on the 20 cent pop. Will try to reaquire that lower

Tech getting crushed today
It’s rinse and repeat. Look at the last few months. It’s been like clockwork. Everyone say it’ll rotate to the CV affected stocks and then tech stocks have earnings reports and key ones look great and they pop again. Then FOMO comes in and drives them up and then rotate again. I mean it was Tuesday when ZM reported and everything went wild. Two days later and aside from a couple companies (who got whacked), great reports but now somethings different. I mean I agree there is some froth but it’s the sector that appears to be doing well and still growing well. It’s not like when CV goes away that companies won’t continue to want to save money and innovate.

Just non-stop sheesh.

Of course the only company I bought puts on (SDC) is like the only thing in the entire market still green.

Was not expecting to see amazon down 4% today but not a big deal. 
Freaking bloodbath. It feels like the rest of the summer though. Basically just feels like the last few up days (4% on Tuesday) got wiped out.

This volatility is crazy. Not sure if it’s algorithms or FOMO down but the ups and downs are just violent. Crazy.

LVGO on quite a dip.  
ZM getting crushed, still way up from Monday but if the stock has gone up a lot lately, it’s getting hammered. Just get this feeling like retail investors are getting their asses kicked. People jumping in on Tesla’s split because Portnoy tells them they get more shares and now they are panic selling.

Shouldn’t have checked my accounts today. This is fugly.
Very much so, but that’s life in this crazy market times where it’s odd when stocks go up 7% in an entire year instead of a day. With all the charting and algorithms and retail investors expecting stock moves to be as fast as their Tik Tok swiping, the volatility is absurd.

Most bear markets don’t last a couple weeks and most stocks don’t go up and down 10% daily. I mean there is literally no patience in this world now. Some analyst says that Tesla could be a $7T stock in 2030 and that turns into it needs to be $1T today.

Can’t always go up, prob good for market to have days like this 
If you haven’t noticed there’s been days like this all year. Three days in the top 20 all time worst days along with what seems like a 2-3% drop (NASDAQ’s been even more volatile) every couple weeks in the S&P.

22 days this year the S&P has been down 2% or more. 9 of them since April. Nasdaq has had even more volatility. End of June, end of July and now early September.

Not fun to watch the losses but the run up will continue at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread