What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (20 Viewers)

Didn’t see the IPOC drop till this morning. Market didn’t like that deal. I’ll stick it out. Still up a tiny bit. Not a good start for any of the IPO/SPACs. EV SPACs in particular. Those have definitely fallen out of favor. May have to look deeper at a few. 

Bogart said:
My first attempt at this, so be gentle.

CLCT 

Could be a fun one to watch. The parent company of PSA, the leading card grading company. Already insanely increased the last six months, but the company just announced a ton of new price increases and they are still so backlogged they can charge whatever they want.

This bubble of sports cards might pop at anytime, but there is still a ton of long term buzz over not only sports cards, but Pokemon, MTG cards and even things like Garbage Pail Kids cards. All of us old guys with money to burn are dipping into nostalgia and the want for those pieces of cardboard to be graded and value locked in has never been higher. Sports cards are the new art investments.
Should I sell my old Pokemanz cards now? :mansion:

Didn’t see the IPOC drop till this morning. Market didn’t like that deal. I’ll stick it out. Still up a tiny bit. Not a good start for any of the IPO/SPACs. EV SPACs in particular. Those have definitely fallen out of favor. May have to look deeper at a few. 
I was thinking of trimming down on the total number I'm in.  Need to look at who's in charge or started them off.  I like Chamath so I'll stick with SPACs he's part of, and did double down on IPOC (still a small position).  

Thought crossed my mind as well.  
I was thinking about dabbling last week when it dropped into the 9s. Wouldn’t have put much in just because I really don’t feel like getting in that game again. The projections posted feel like the same thing again. Just huge revenue forecasted at the end of 2021. I’d bet there will be multiple vaccines and EUAs by them, seems presumptive that it will corner the treatment market. For a short term might be solid, maybe, but long term what else is there?

Anyway, does remind me of the other one when the market wasn’t moving great at times and it was a beacon return wise. I think stocks like this actually move better against the market. When the market is doing well they fall back because of the risk reward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about dabbling last week when it dropped into the 9s. Wouldn’t have put much in just because I really don’t feel like getting in that game again. The projections posted feel like the same thing again. Just huge revenue forecasted at the end of 2021. I’d bet there will be multiple vaccines and EUAs by them, seems presumptive that it will corner the treatment market. For a short term might be solid, maybe, but long term what else is there?

Anyway, does remind me of the other one when the market wasn’t moving great at times and it was a beacon return wise. I think stocks like this actually move better against the market. When the market is doing well they fall back because of the risk reward.
It's definitely not going to corner the treatment market ever.  Seems like a limited population that will benefit from lenzilumab.  That being said, if it gets approval, its going up a lot more.

I imagine it does pull back again though, it doesn't seem like there is going to be enough immediate news to sustain it (unless Trump does take it and then who knows what happens).  I've got enough in this one that I'm comfortable with right now but may think about adding more on a pullback.

I was thinking of trimming down on the total number I'm in.  Need to look at who's in charge or started them off.  I like Chamath so I'll stick with SPACs he's part of, and did double down on IPOC (still a small position).  
I’m mainly just parking cash there. I’m up about $3800 on the IPO/very recent IPO stocks and $4500 on the SPACs so a much better than money market return. Still have plenty of cash available so it’s not tied up. Only FMCI is something I have to sit on for taxes since I bought it in my taxable account.

Kind of a weird day, which will probably happen more often, lots of decent sized ups and downs but overall up a fraction. Of course all the stuff I should have bought in June and 3 weeks ago are all up nicely today and have been.

Even with this little run HGEN is on, it's still nowhere near it's peak when you take into account  the 1 to 5 reverse split.  This puts HGEN at around $2.75 a share right now, it had peaked at around $7.45 back in May and was in the $5s for a long time.

Likely still a good speculative buy at this price even though I agree that it probably pulls back a little.

Just spent 15 minutes on the phone with my MILs financial planner.  Damn she's good.  Had an outstanding justification for the 5% loss over the last five years and why her diversification is appropriate and my stocking picking strategy that is up 2.7% in the last month is a loser.  Feel like I need a shower after that.

Opps...make that 7%, I forgot to add back the profits taken in cash.

Just spent 15 minutes on the phone with my MILs financial planner.  Damn she's good.  Had an outstanding justification for the 5% loss over the last five years and why her diversification is appropriate and my stocking picking strategy that is up 2.7% in the last month is a loser.  Feel like I need a shower after that.

Why are you even talking to her? Didn’t you give her the boot?

I’m assuming all the diversification was into front loaded type funds, i.e. anything she made more commission on with huge fees. I mean anyone with dark glasses on, throwing a blind squirrel who’s shooting an arrow at a wall of stocks would have done better than down 5%. S&P and Dow up about 70%. Even international funds up about the same or more and don’t get me started on Amazon, Apple and the big companies.

I look forward to trying to make you my client when I become licensed, lol.  

Also, what did she say? What is she in that is down 5%? Bonds, Intl, Small Caps?

Anyone have JNUG here?   I bought in around $40...over sitting at about a 230% increase right now for me.  

Time to offload?  

Anyone have JNUG here?   I bought in around $40...over sitting at about a 230% increase right now for me.  

Time to offload?  
I'm not a gold guy and haven't played JNUG for months.  But when I hit 100%+ homers on these types of leveraged ETFs, I run the bases and take the profits.  

Why are you even talking to her? Didn’t you give her the boot?
I struggling with taking on the responsibility of her entire account.  I have about 10% I'm handling.  She should be able to run circles around me.  If I lose it all, I'll have to house her  :P   

I had two subjects I wanted to discuss.  One regarding the tax status of the account.  The other was why is MIL in a 2.5% load fund on top of the 1%.  The explanation is was that when the market tanks, it will kick butt providing diversification that she needs at her age.  I mentioned adding utility stocks and she said that anything with a dividend over 4% is risky and will likely go down.  She'll love the DHT I bought MIL in the 4.90s.  I mentioned utility companies and she said they need to get their act together and address alternative energy.  I could buy that but she had just finished telling me that emerging markets were a huge value and are only down big because oil and energy are down.

While I didn't want to be that guy telling a pro that I up about 50% over the last year, I definitely don't want to be that guy down 50% over the next while the pro is up big...past performance isn't representative of future...blah, blah, blah.

I'm not a gold guy and haven't played JNUG for months.  But when I hit 100%+ homers on these types of leveraged ETFs, I run the bases and take the profits.  
I know next to nothing about it.  Got bored during quarantine and thought, "People are in a panic right now...they'll start buying gold right?"

It hit $187 the other day.  I might sell half of it.  

I struggling with taking on the responsibility of her entire account.  I have about 10% I'm handling.  She should be able to run circles around me.  If I lose it all, I'll have to house her  :P   

I had two subjects I wanted to discuss.  One regarding the tax status of the account.  The other was why is MIL in a 2.5% load fund on top of the 1%.  The explanation is was that when the market tanks, it will kick butt providing diversification that she needs at her age.  I mentioned adding utility stocks and she said that anything with a dividend over 4% is risky and will likely go down.  She'll love the DHT I bought MIL in the 4.90s.  I mentioned utility companies and she said they need to get their act together and address alternative energy.  I could buy that but she had just finished telling me that emerging markets were a huge value and are only down big because oil and energy are down.

While I didn't want to be that guy telling a pro that I up about 50% over the last year, I definitely don't want to be that guy down 50% over the next while the pro is up big...past performance isn't representative of future...blah, blah, blah.
:doh:

Did you even need to ask that question? The answer is more commissions. She’s had 5 years to lose money when everything is up. The only way she’s down is because the fees and loads have been so outrageous that it siphons off any would be profits. Personally, I’d put the other 90% in something like a Vanguard total market (and total bond for safety) while you trade the 10%. She had the chance and was awful. She could have bought a total market fund, done nothing and doubled her current commissions.

Virtually no exposure to the US market.  40% international, 10% emerging markets, 30% Vanguard bonds, 10% junk funds, 10% cash.
And yet she still underperformed. Even Vanguard’s emerging market fund is up 30% the past 5 years. Heck, the money market/cash ROI beat her as well. Easily the most incompetent investor ever or bad enough that she rotates load funds to make more fees because she has to be losing clients. She’s basically horrifically bad or a crook.

Did you even need to ask that question? The answer is more commissions. She’s had 5 years to lose money when everything is up. The only way she’s down is because the fees and loads have been so outrageous that it siphons off any would be profits. Personally, I’d put the other 90% in something like a Vanguard total market (and total bond for safety) while you trade the 10%. She had the chance and was awful. She could have bought a total market fund, done nothing and doubled her current commissions.
I know.  We'll work on the allocation over time.  I'll meet with her and we'll set up an exit strategy on some of these funds.  

The other reason i don't want the keys is that certain withdrawals have to be taken each year and i don't want to keep up with that.

And yet she still underperformed. Even Vanguard’s emerging market fund is up 30% the past 5 years. Heck, the money market/cash ROI beat her as well. Easily the most incompetent investor ever or bad enough that she rotates load funds to make more fees because she has to be losing clients. She’s basically horrifically bad or a crook.
And this advisor is 10x better than the previous one and the one better that was convicted of fraud.  I believe she has lost 60-70% over the last 20 years.  

This is more of a Personal Finance topic, but I had a long conversation with my Aunt a few weeks back. Her and her partner have accumulated various accounts spread all over the place in 30+ years of working. My recommendation was basically to go to Vanguard which does their advisory for only like .3%. Seems like a good solution for people that still could use managing/won't learn themselves.

Just sold 25% of my ING.  It's up 4.4% today and 10% over the last week.  Probably should take more off the table, but this should be a $9 stock.

This is more of a Personal Finance topic, but I had a long conversation with my Aunt a few weeks back. Her and her partner have accumulated various accounts spread all over the place in 30+ years of working. My recommendation was basically to go to Vanguard which does their advisory for only like .3%. Seems like a good solution for people that still could use managing/won't learn themselves.
Are advisors licensed by state?

I know next to nothing about it.  Got bored during quarantine and thought, "People are in a panic right now...they'll start buying gold right?"

It hit $187 the other day.  I might sell half of it.  
I don't know what the Gold forecast is right now, so maybe others will chime in on the outlook and where it may go from here. 

I do know leveraged ETFs, and JNUG and NUGT both had reverse splits earlier this Summer, which happens on these as they deteriorate over time.  So I never play them with plans to hold long or for months.  You did well.  Real well.  No shame at all in capturing some those profits.  Pull back your original investment plus some profits.  Let some free shares ride.  Whatever you decides to do.  Just don't hindsight yourself later if it does go back up to $180's.  If you made money, you did it right.  :thumbup:

Are advisors licensed by state?
I didn't look too deeply, but from their site: While Vanguard Advisers, Inc. doesn't have advisors located in every state, we’re available to help you nationwide over the phone or virtually.

I am not sure how much they would cover setting up withdrawals and such in your situation, the broader CFP stuff. Just commenting on the advisory side generally. I get a lot of these questions from family members because they don't understand my job has nothing to do with this...

Should I sell my old Pokemanz cards now? :mansion:
I haven't taken the time to research individual cards, but I know there are record breaking auctions for unopened boxes and a lot of individual cards are getting huge numbers on eBay, most of them graded. It would be worth a spin around eBay with the cards you have I would think. Or they could be all junk wax. 

Yes. 

Virtually no exposure to the US market.  40% international, 10% emerging markets, 30% Vanguard bonds, 10% junk funds, 10% cash.
I will say, this sounds like someone paying way to much attention to pure, high level valuations. Intl, EM and Bonds have been down lately compared to US stocks. So I can see the idea that you should get in them to a degree to catch the rise when the US falls some. But:

A - The international diversification is not nearly as much as it used to be because of Globalization

B - All those areas cost more in fees and loads than US stocks (generally)

C - It's a terrible portfolio if you have NOTHING in US equities. Period. 

I'm guessing crook. 

are people betting on Biden to win?
There was some talk on CNBC this morning about the markets starting to price in a Biden victory, but I'm going to try to save you decades of grief: DO NOT let the political winds push your portfolio around. So with alternative energy (for example), while a Biden victory is thought of as a boon for them, invest your money based on the sector's prospects for the future, regardless of the White House occupant. I promise you it matters less than you think.

Users who are viewing this thread