What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (11 Viewers)

Am I missing something on why oil is way up?
I'd imagine the travel industry normalizing in what is perceived the near future will increase demand for oil.  More flights, cruises back open,  the notion that in the future more people will be commuting back and forth to work.  I'm not claiming I know--these are just my guesses.  Seems to me like this market movement is pre-mature imo--but I can't blame the market for being thirsty for good covid news. 

I'd imagine the travel industry normalizing in what is perceived the near future will increase demand for oil.  More flights, cruises back open,  the notion that in the future more people will be commuting back and forth to work.  I'm not claiming I know--these are just my guesses.  Seems to me like this market movement is pre-mature imo--but I can't blame the market for being thirsty for good covid news. 
I can buy that.  I still sold about 30% of what I had i oil, even if I was still down.

Hold off is my thought. I’ve got a lot more dry powder after trimming a couple things that were up 20-30% on Friday. I could see some more blood letting and some stuff that popped settling. I mean it’s really funny that Biden is completely pro-clean energy and the vaccine is good news but how many months away are we from knowing it truly works and it’s available?

I’m not a short term guy either. I don’t plan to dip my toes in today, unless that stock hadn’t taken a big rise. I like Zynga. Had a great quarter revenue wise but didn’t have a great earnings. It’s also probably in a WFH bucket although whether there’s a vaccine or not, people won’t suddenly stop using their phones. 
I’ll check out Zynga, thanks.

i deployed about 20% of my cash into NFLX at 475ish. Just seemed too knee jerk of a reaction. Probably back over 500 this week. 

And the only way I'll get well. Honestly, it's too low to sell here, I'll get out when the overreaction is over. Either way, I'll be typing with my tongue, as my fingers will be heavily bandaged.
Sucks man. I’m negative but coming back. I’m not invested (outside of 401ks) in DJI type stuff outside of EXC. I may trim some more if things pep back up. Serious overreaction IMHO on some stocks where true changes due to a vaccine are a year away in terms of hitting bottom line and the assumption that all’s well and no lasting changes will happen. That said, even I knew WFH (I hate that term because it insinuates that they weren’t already growing like weeds) stuff felt really frothy. You’ve got a very anti-oil president now so I still don’t like oil long term but I’m not a short term bettor like you. Good luck, although selfishly I guess it would be better for me if UVXY never recovers.

Working fine for me but I’m not doing anything right now.
I’ve been on a selling and buying spree. Nordstrom up 25% for example. Lopes off most everything up over 10%. Added some Amazon at 316x. Also adding KR as it’s taken a hit today

Why is FVRR taking such a beating today?
It’s in the bucket of WFH stocks. They will all take a beating today and maybe longer. I bet on stocks like them before CV because they were already growing. It’s not like they’re going to stop growing due to the vaccine but when you gets these massive market moves they aren’t looking at fundamentals. The argument for cloud stocks is still there today. It’s much cheaper and faster all around to deploy and maintain applications. It’s not like people will stop using FB or SNAP or AMZN or their iPhones, etc. Some companies did get accelerated and FVRR is one of them but people aren’t going to go back to pens and paper and having to be in the office to use a mainframe. I’d still be really scared of commercial retail because I know my company like many others will be looking to downsize and likely keep some people working from home or at least part time. Offices are a huge expense and in my company’s (and many others), completely unnecessary. 

Why is FVRR taking such a beating today?
It benefits from stay-at-home and work-at-home.  FVRR is asking someone to do something online instead of from another source possibly in person.  In some cases, people working from home don't have easy access to their fellow employees who could have helped them with the task.

I’ve been on a selling and buying spree. Nordstrom up 25% for example. Lopes off most everything up over 10%. Added some Amazon at 316x. Also adding KR as it’s taken a hit today
You owned Nordstrom before today? Pretty ballsy play if you got in recently. I did sell a couple things up 20-30% on Friday but I’ve owned them a little over a year and still kept most.

I’ll check out Zynga, thanks.

i deployed about 20% of my cash into NFLX at 475ish. Just seemed too knee jerk of a reaction. Probably back over 500 this week. 
Not sure when things will recover but NFLX is a good example. Are people going to suddenly stop watching TV? NFLX had been growing a bunch every year we’ll before CV. I do think that some stocks that benefited solely from CV will take a hit but it wasn’t like most of these trends weren’t already in place.

You owned Nordstrom before today? Pretty ballsy play if you got in recently. I did sell a couple things up 20-30% on Friday but I’ve owned them a little over a year and still kept most.
Done well with it and kohl’s. Buy on the dips, sell of the pops

Anyone adding TDOC?  Under $190.  
Like SnZ, I’m good on it from the LVGO side. Still believe in it long term as I do with most of the cloud/WFH type stuff. I’m just not adding. I’ve been a seller since FSLY hit $135 and ZM peaked. Great calls on those, sold both (around 80%) on their ATH days. Probably could sell more and buy back in this year lower, but I’ve messed up selling early as much as timing it well.

Schwab not working correctly.  You can now get in, but I have placed a sell order that was accepted then "disappears".   Pretty sure I am going to end up with a duplicate sell order.  Will be interesting to see once it is sorted out.   So right now afraid to put any orders in.

ETA -- Duplicate sell resulted in me shorting my first stock.  When it showed up in my account I bought to cover and made a quick 1.5% -- the game of Monopoly bank error in your favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
finally got schwab to work.  ugh I guess no harm, no foul was I was able to do the trades I wanted.

Strange day for me as ~40% of the individual stock I own are down today.  However, the one's that are up, are up yuge.  Gonna get stung next April, but made enough on VLO today that will cover it.  

Just a thought here, but I think end of this year is going to see a large amount of selling due to administration change and perceived higher taxes coming up, so I wanted to jump the gun a bit so to speak so as not to get too greedy.  Only sold off one position entirely, trimmed a few more.  Only thing on my shopping list I may nibble on is SNOW, but probably just going to wait until 2021.

Oh, I get that, but they never dropped due to that because of Disney+. Kind of like they got the WFH boost and now the park open boost (probably won’t hit bottom line until 12 months from now). Kind of like double dipping.
DIS dropped from $153 to $79 with the shutdown.  They ran back up some as the whole market did and more on Disney+, but the parks being closed was still very much a part of their stock price in the $120s compared to when the stock was $153 pre-Covid when the D+ part of their business hadn't exploded yet.

Again though this is why I've been so bullish on DIS all throughout this thread and is the argument I've made for it all along.  They are a re-opening stock AND a work from home stock.  A growth stock AND a defensive stock.  When covid news is bad they do well because of D+.  When covid news is good they go up because of the parks.

I feel bad because for reasons I will not speak of (it was completely silly to be honest and unwarranted) I had a imposed 1 month vacation from our little community here.

The stocks I had been buying prior to today:

MDU

BLDP

TSCO

CLCT

Love these companies. 3 of them are super growth companies (BLDP, TSCO, CLCT) and MDU is a great infrastructure/power/gas/ultity planet with a nice growing dividend. And of course that one is going nuts today. As well as BLDP. Wait for a pullback on these two. BLDP will be a 10 bagger one day. Mark that down. MDU is a 30% type upside over the next 12 months.

CLCT had a huge run up from where we bought it already. And today is retreating a bit. Buy. Massive growth in the baseball card/card collecting  gradin industry. They cannot keep up with demand that is how busy they are. Great little growth story.

I love TSCO.....love it. Buy. Another awesome growth story. The Mid West Home Depot. 

I am going to say this......if you have massive profits...do not be afraid to trim today. It is a great chance to do it. This is a massive overreaction IMO (not being a debbie downer you all know I am a long term bull). But if there is a chance to rebalance and lower your volatility, today is a day you do that. 

I am doing all my tax harvesting and annual rebalancing......today. And then we settle in.....and let 2021 happen and go from there. You can’t time...but being near all time highs.....you cannot get greedy when asset allocating and rebalancing. 

Today is a gift. 

I love TSCO.....love it. Buy. Another awesome growth story. The Mid West Home Depot. 
I was a big fan. Father in law worked there since before I knew them. After like 22 years they "restructured" him out of a job. (He had been setting up new stores).  Everything worked out fine for him, he has a great job doing the same thing for a smaller company now. 

We made a decent chunk with them along the way but I sold all our shares a few years ago.

Did your wife book a couple of trips to Disney today?  Was thinking some of their climb might be from Capella & Friends family trips.  
She’s very excited to get back. Kid is too - asks about it almost every day. “Daddy when can we go see Mickey”. Uhhhhh after we know he won’t give us covid, kid. 

I feel bad because for reasons I will not speak of (it was completely silly to be honest and unwarranted) I had a imposed 1 month vacation from our little community here.

MDU

BLDP

TSCO

CLCT

Love these companies. 3 of them are super growth companies (BLDP, TSCO, CLCT) and MDU is a great infrastructure/power/gas/ultity planet with a nice growing dividend. And of course that one is going nuts today. As well as BLDP. Wait for a pullback on these two. BLDP will be a 10 bagger one day. Mark that down. MDU is a 30% type upside over the next 12 months.

CLCT had a huge run up from where we bought it already. And today is retreating a bit. Buy. Massive growth in the baseball card/card collecting  gradin industry. They cannot keep up with demand that is how busy they are. Great little growth story.

I am going to say this......if you have massive profits...do not be afraid to trim today. It is a great chance to do it. This is a massive overreaction IMO (not being a debbie downer you all know I am a long term bull). But if there is a chance to rebalance and lower your volatility, today is a day you do that. 

I am doing all my tax harvesting and annual rebalancing......today. And then we settle in.....and let 2021 happen and go from there. You can’t time...but being near all time highs.....you cannot get greedy when asset allocating and rebalancing. 

Today is a gift. 
Any specific sectors you would trim?

Decided to close my position on NRGU.  I've buying this one down for a while.  A few smaller buys/sells along the way, but overall had a lot more $ and time in it than I planned.  Feels good to be in the green so I'm going to take it all now before oil ####s it out.   

MDU

BLDP

TSCO

CLCT

Today is a gift. 
Thanks Todem.   i trimmed 30% near the peak and added a couple of these along with Lowes, KR, ACI.  Probably will go trim some C too as that has been a huge winner.

Good tip on TSCO (Tractor Supply) @Todem.  These stores are interesting and have been popping up all around me in WI.  They'll never beat Fleet Farms (massive stores) and even Farm & Fleets will still have their place in the MidWest, but these Tractor Supplies are like their smaller versions and have a nice mix of hardware store features too.  Hence your smaller Home Depot reference.  One thing I've noticed is that most Tractor Supplies are taking over small town grocery stores that went out of business.  So Bigger than a traditional hardware store, and I'm seeing them in towns where the nearest Fleet Farm, Farm & Fleet, Home Depot are miles away.   

SE down almost 8%.  I think that's a quick 10% gain staring you in the face.

Almost Lowes is down 4.5% (HD only 2.5%).  They will crush earning again.  Losing 8% to the market doesn't make sense.

:shrug:

Everyone loves Disney+, and now, the parks re-opening is in sight.
Their earnings are going to be brutal...this stock will come back down earth again and go sub 100

I see zero value in it buying at these levels. No dividend. Growth is going in reverse. It will take a while for the park business to fully recover and that is almost 50% of their revenue stream.

Bought DIS and DAL in my kids accounts a few months back as long term holds.  Dumb or not, both will grow from here.  Today seems a bit exuberant, though.
We have owned disney since the 20’s. 

We bought more in the 80’s when the height of the sell-off was happening in March.

We have made an enormous amount of money in Disney. 

The stock is incredibly over priced here. And I love the brand....has nothing to do with it.

I am trying to guide those that either made a nice profit who bought it in March when I posted my list and did not sell when i sold in the 120’s. 

That is where I am coming from. I fully expect Disney to retreat to under 100 when reality hits the bottom line. If it does not happen.....ok. But it will at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread