What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (15 Viewers)

I really need to get better about buying back into stuff I sold out of when it goes on a run.  I just can't get over the mental hurdle of jumping back in to something I sold recently for less and could have held.

Palantir the perfect example.  Had 1000 shares at a cost basis of just over 9 bucks.  Sold around 11 bucks.  Then during this whole damned run I kept waiting for it to dip back to 11 and below because mentally I didn't want to re-buy what I had just recently sold for higher, and missed out on the whole thing.  So stupid and I know it but mentally have a hard time making myself click the button in these scenarios.

Those are way overbought, no doubt about it. I trimmed some of my APPN but probably would be smart to dump the rest while it’s where it is. Need to check tax implications but there’s no real news and that type of action isn’t normal for that or EVs and PLTR and others.
I'm more wondering about the dynamic of people overbuying calls to create a self-fulfilling prophecy as dealers/banks have to buy the underlying to hedge. It's a leveraged bet and investors from Softbank to Reddit have been doing it. I only mention those names because it seems what wallstreetbets and those types have moved onto.

I really need to get better about buying back into stuff I sold out of when it goes on a run.  I just can't get over the mental hurdle of jumping back in to something I sold recently for less and could have held.

Palantir the perfect example.  Had 1000 shares at a cost basis of just over 9 bucks.  Sold around 11 bucks.  Then during this whole damned run I kept waiting for it to dip back to 11 and below because mentally I didn't want to re-buy what I had just recently sold for higher, and missed out on the whole thing.  So stupid and I know it but mentally have a hard time making myself click the button in these scenarios.
I am having the same emotional dilemna with things I have held on to for amazing gains.

A seemingly illogical desire to sell, take gains and start over with these "new" hot opportunities (Palantir being one).

Probably the end result that makes the argument for buying a sector etf.

I got lucky ion the PLTR timing.  I bought at the IPO.  Sold for a small profit when I got bored and just happened to jump back in at the exact right time.

Once it goes up 15% you have to think that you missed it, then another 15, then 20%.  And now you have to think totally missed it.  I'm holding.  also have 1000 shares.

I know nothing. I just tried looking at his history and seemed like a lot of stuff gone.  Also remember him talking about being banned and then going into the PSF....
You shouldn't need to hide or backtrack.  If that happened, that happened.

I deleted the quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more wondering about the dynamic of people overbuying calls to create a self-fulfilling prophecy as dealers/banks have to buy the underlying to hedge. It's a leveraged bet and investors from Softbank to Reddit have been doing it. I only mention those names because it seems what wallstreetbets and those types have moved onto.
Oh, I agree. We’ve talked in here about dozens of these out of nowhere companies whose stocks have just blown up. Just for fun, I found this article interesting:

https://www.marketwatch.com/articles/kandis-tiny-electric-vehicle-faces-big-challenges-in-the-u-s-51605898774?mod=mw_more_headlines 

It’s about Kandi a Chinese parts supplier which has more than doubled as part of the Chinese EV hype. One part that was interesting is that they don’t make cars but announced they want build a 59 mile range Mini Cooper like EV and in the future a Tesla killer. The article also talks about some dude in Colorado who wants to be a dealer but the company is a bit hesitant on committing. Not LK like fraud but if people don’t think these announcements are all about secondary offerings, they don’t understand the risk of Chinese stocks. Note that Kandi has had two, yes two, new stock offerings close in the past two weeks since the first one was below where the stock jumped to the past week. If you need to raise capital through a stock offering and one PR release can double your stock even if you don’t really plan to follow through, you’d do it.

The best quote is something that should scare people a bit about Chinese EV companies:

The Chinese EV industry has been boosted by Beijing’s efforts to turn it into a major global force. Scott Kennedy, an adviser on the Chinese economy at the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies, says that Beijing has provided about $100 billion in subsidies to its electric-vehicle industry as of 2018, equivalent to about a third of the sales price of a car. Kennedy says that there are now 119 home- grown EV companies in China.

119 EV companies? I wonder why Nio’s sales did well when buyers get 1/3 of the sales price subsidized.

I’ll keep watching because I would like to get some PLTR at some point, but it’s very interesting seeing people move stocks.

The best quote is something that should scare people a bit about Chinese EV companies:

The Chinese EV industry has been boosted by Beijing’s efforts to turn it into a major global force. Scott Kennedy, an adviser on the Chinese economy at the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies, says that Beijing has provided about $100 billion in subsidies to its electric-vehicle industry as of 2018, equivalent to about a third of the sales price of a car. Kennedy says that there are now 119 home- grown EV companies in China.
I read that and think: Why isn't the US doing this? Will this mean China dominates the EV market to a large extent?

I also wonder what this means for SPACs targeting this space. Although a warrant economically works like a call, but the same dynamics by dealers don't seem to exist. The relationships between the prices of the warrants vs the unit or stock seem underdeveloped.

Buy on the dips. When you have a company that sets a new high a pulls back, there’s a good chance seeing that high again. SE is a prime example. I sold too early, but did buy back in on a dip that was higher than I sold. Since then each time I’ve sold I’ve been able to buy back lower. Sometimes you’ll win and sometimes you’ll not time it right. You’ll never go broke taking a profit. 

Nice little day today. What kind of target price are we thinking on this?
Not sure what it will do short term. Merger is next week. Think it will have a market cap of around 4B which is kind of pricey. I hasn't really popped too crazy, but not sure if it will fall back post merger like a lot of SPACs recently or go up on the ticker change. I'm willing to be patient regardless. My gut says 20 short term, 2-3 weeks, with an upside possibility of 30 if people like the story here, and I think the story is compelling. The CEO is a 22 year old genius, which alone will get people talking. He'll be one of the youngest self-made billonaires ever next week. Will get a few mentions and attention for the stock.

I think longer term this could be a buyout candidate as Volvo and Daimler have minority stakes right now. Another short term catalyst is that they are holding back on announcing another OEM partner until after the merger. It's speculated to be either Toyota or Nio. They are already working with Toyota Research so it realistically could expand that relationship into a production contract which could be a huge boost to the share price. I like the risk/reward here.

I know nothing. I just tried looking at his history and seemed like a lot of stuff gone.  Also remember him talking about being banned and then going into the PSF....
Maybe the search function is just completely broken again. I cannot find a lot of things  I was looking for today.

drunken slob said:
In most circumstances asking this question Thanksgiving eve would be foolhardy. However, I'm pretty sure a number of you will be reviewing your portfolios over the long weekend.

I respectfully request that anybody here holding any SPAC please list it for me. I have loot in my gambling account and want to buy a few. Don't need a follow up or explanation why. I'll sort through what you guys post.

TIA

:banned:
QELLU

I feel bad because for reasons I will not speak of (it was completely silly to be honest and unwarranted) I had a imposed 1 month vacation from our little community here.

The stocks I had been buying prior to today:

MDU

BLDP

TSCO

CLCT

Love these companies. 3 of them are super growth companies (BLDP, TSCO, CLCT) and MDU is a great infrastructure/power/gas/ultity planet with a nice growing dividend. And of course that one is going nuts today. As well as BLDP. Wait for a pullback on these two. BLDP will be a 10 bagger one day. Mark that down. MDU is a 30% type upside over the next 12 months.

CLCT had a huge run up from where we bought it already. And today is retreating a bit. Buy. Massive growth in the baseball card/card collecting  gradin industry. They cannot keep up with demand that is how busy they are. Great little growth story.

I love TSCO.....love it. Buy. Another awesome growth story. The Mid West Home Depot. 

I am going to say this......if you have massive profits...do not be afraid to trim today. It is a great chance to do it. This is a massive overreaction IMO (not being a debbie downer you all know I am a long term bull). But if there is a chance to rebalance and lower your volatility, today is a day you do that. 

I am doing all my tax harvesting and annual rebalancing......today. And then we settle in.....and let 2021 happen and go from there. You can’t time...but being near all time highs.....you cannot get greedy when asset allocating and rebalancing. 

Today is a gift. 

JPM

BA

XOM

CVX

PEO

GLPI

BLMN (Still have some)

MGM (Still have some)

CAT

In my mutual fund portfolios we are doing full scale rebalancing back to target today. 

All Growth - 100% stock (will build 15% Cash/GNMA in this one)

Aggressive Growth -  80/20 stocks to bonds (will shave the equity portion back to 80% as they are sitting at just shy of 90% equity right now)

Growth - 70/30 Stocks to bonds (will shave equity back to 70% from close to 80%)

Growth and Income - 60/40 stocks to bonds (will shave equity back to 50% from 65%-67% as we head into 2021) These are more more conservative clients who despise volatility and high beta.....and this portfolio has been a rock for the last 20 years. We have been aggressive since 2009 with a 60% equity target and it has served us well. And we have tactically went to 50% equites several times and we are doing it again heading into 2021.

I am expecting a very difficult year in 2021 overall for stocks. I am setting very low expectations and have been since October. Yield and asset allocation will be key for next year as the markets digest the damage and destruction Covid-19 has done to the country in broad strokes. 

More comments coming. Market opened.....time to work.
2. This was in regards to what he was looking to trim; NOT buy.

I'd guess the list(s) prior are not necessarily where you want to go, as his list of names he was trimming had a lot of overlap with his old buy list.

First day of KCAC trading as QS was impressive. I don't think Quantumscape will even have a production ready battery until 2024 at the earliest.

First day of KCAC trading as QS was impressive. I don't think Quantumscape will even have a production ready battery until 2024 at the earliest.
It’s like a stock split, really shouldn’t matter at all. I wonder how many people don’t realize that it was just a ticker change and not an IPO. Some of the discussion on the Apple and Tesla splits was the same like people didn’t realize it doesn’t change what you own. People actually thought they got more shares and thus more money. It is funny that not that long ago SPACs fell out of favor with the last dip. RIDE plummeted when it switched over from the other symbol. Now they are back in favor.

That Reddit thread is interesting, wondering if that is behind a lot of these pops. So many people just jump in based on these suggestions. Definitely need to watch that a bit more. 

It’s like a stock split, really shouldn’t matter at all. I wonder how many people don’t realize that it was just a ticker change and not an IPO. Some of the discussion on the Apple and Tesla splits was the same like people didn’t realize it doesn’t change what you own. People actually thought they got more shares and thus more money. It is funny that not that long ago SPACs fell out of favor with the last dip. RIDE plummeted when it switched over from the other symbol. Now they are back in favor.

That Reddit thread is interesting, wondering if that is behind a lot of these pops. So many people just jump in based on these suggestions. Definitely need to watch that a bit more. 
yep. just noting a potential change in sentiment on SPACs as they have usually been getting hammered to the downside after the ticker change.

yep. just noting a potential change in sentiment on SPACs as they have usually been getting hammered to the downside after the ticker change.
Agreed. EVs are all over the SPACs and the sentiment has absolutely changed. If you are good short term you can make out but believe me the sentiment will change back. Stocks have definitely gotten frothy and if there is a dip these high poppers will absolutely get hammered.

You can buy and sell Bitcoin on Paypal and hold it there like cash.  I don't have a Coinbase or RH account.
Interesting, that availability in itself seems to make bitcoin more mainstream.

I am having the same emotional dilemna with things I have held on to for amazing gains.

A seemingly illogical desire to sell, take gains and start over with these "new" hot opportunities (Palantir being one).

Totally understood on the first part. I remember thinking I should buy into NIO at $8 but waiting for it to drop. Then never bit. That one hurts. 

Agreed on the sector ETFs. I'll never make the most possible $$$ using the ETFs but for those of us without near the inside knowledge on these companies, buying into a sector makes sense imo. 

BLDP  (from a todem pick, although he did not specify options) :)   

Just learning options.  

Trying 7 options

$25 Call

2/19/21

Cost $1190

N/m I ####ed out and cancelled.

Closed out my last Kensington (Quatumscope) today for a 433% gain.  
Nice. I should have bought some, but it popped before I had it on my list and I wasn't paying attention to the change over. I sure as #### wouldn't be buying it now and it's a very smart sell. There are so many battery/EV plays out there now it's crazy. You'd think Tesla would be dropping what with all the "competition" out there now. Crazy stuff. At least my GMHI finally became worthwhile.

IPOB and PSTH have been running well lately as well. Feels like people are thinking PSTH is near a merger.

Weird start though, was almost up 1%, then down 0.4% and now flat. Just jumping all around with the pops this morning fading.

Electric-vehicle maker Lion Electric Co said on Monday it would go public through a merger with blank-check company Northern Genesis Acquisition Corp.

Lion Electric expects to receive about $500 million of net cash proceeds from the deal, it said, adding the combined company was expected to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “LEV”.
Throwing a few bucks at this to see if it takes off.

LOL at NKLA. GM will not take a stake in it. Of course not, TBH, I couldn't believe the optimism that doubled the price from the lows after the scandals.

GM is going to do pretty well IMHO with EVs and I was honestly thinking why would GM help NKLA at all providing the battery technology and manufacturing for a competing truck. The existing car companies, including TSLA, aren't going to sit around and do nothing and obviously won't be helping competitors. QS is an interesting one as it's not falling with the rest of the EV stocks. Maybe it's tie to VW. Maybe people are thinking they get acquired. I still think it's silly to double just because the symbol changed, but that's the world we live in now.

Sector ETF are a little tricky.   Often times the sector ETF are even more heavily weighted into a handful of stonks.  If you are truly interested in a sector, you are probably better off taking the 5 largest cap in any individual sector and go 20% on each.  This way you can DCA and better tax plan.  I've found sector ETF to be dramatically worse as far as cap gains distribution efficiency and have since avoided them.

I mean here's one I just happened to have open

https://www.schwab.wallst.com/cgi-bin/upload.dll/file.pdf?zab877d0az533d1b7dfc2b4570be19164e3121f135

That's a ETF that has 10 stonks holding half the NAV.  That's hardly indexing jmo.  

Users who are viewing this thread