What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (26 Viewers)

Sector ETF are a little tricky.   Often times the sector ETF are even more heavily weighted into a handful of stonks.  If you are truly interested in a sector, you are probably better off taking the 5 largest cap in any individual sector and go 20% on each.  This way you can DCA and better tax plan.  I've found sector ETF to be dramatically worse as far as cap gains distribution efficiency and have since avoided them.

I mean here's one I just happened to have open

https://www.schwab.wallst.com/cgi-bin/upload.dll/file.pdf?zab877d0az533d1b7dfc2b4570be19164e3121f135

That's a ETF that has 10 stonks holding half the NAV.  That's hardly indexing jmo.  
Agree in general although I do really like XT in this space and they only have 12% in their top 10 holdings. 

https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/xnas/xt/portfolio

Sector ETF are a little tricky.   Often times the sector ETF are even more heavily weighted into a handful of stonks.  If you are truly interested in a sector, you are probably better off taking the 5 largest cap in any individual sector and go 20% on each.  This way you can DCA and better tax plan.  I've found sector ETF to be dramatically worse as far as cap gains distribution efficiency and have since avoided them.

I mean here's one I just happened to have open

https://www.schwab.wallst.com/cgi-bin/upload.dll/file.pdf?zab877d0az533d1b7dfc2b4570be19164e3121f135

That's a ETF that has 10 stonks holding half the NAV.  That's hardly indexing jmo.  
So index funds.

Point was I am starting to get emotional with my decisions, demonstrating that while I was successful this year (who wasn't) - I probably won't win this game over time.

I am now trying to time trades which is going to be a losing proposition more often than not (for me at least).

Last edited by a moderator:
My first attempt at this, so be gentle.

CLCT 

Could be a fun one to watch. The parent company of PSA, the leading card grading company. Already insanely increased the last six months, but the company just announced a ton of new price increases and they are still so backlogged they can charge whatever they want.

This bubble of sports cards might pop at anytime, but there is still a ton of long term buzz over not only sports cards, but Pokemon, MTG cards and even things like Garbage Pail Kids cards. All of us old guys with money to burn are dipping into nostalgia and the want for those pieces of cardboard to be graded and value locked in has never been higher. Sports cards are the new art investments.
Collectors Universe (CLCT) to be Acquired by Investor Group Led by Entrepreneur and Collector Nat Turner for $75.25/sh

Well, looks like it won't hit $100 a share, but still did OK. 

I’ve always tried to understand how that works. Who is buying at 76?
I suppose it's possible that a number of shareholders will vote against this and force the bidder to pay a higher premium than $75.25 per share. 

I dunno, I only bought a small amount of this thing because in Bogie I trust.  I've made just enough on this to pay for 3/5 of the Malaise children's Xmas this year.  And with that, I'm selling here.  :thumbup: <-------------------- To Bogie  

I suppose it's possible that a number of shareholders will vote against this and force the bidder to pay a higher premium than $75.25 per share. 

I dunno, I only bought a small amount of this thing because in Bogie I trust.  I've made just enough on this to pay for 3/5 of the Malaise children's Xmas this year.  And with that, I'm selling here.  :thumbup: <-------------------- To Bogie  
Who goes without?

Congrats!  I sold too based on the same logic, but it paid for about half of my kids Xbox 😂.

I’d actually be in the green today if it wasn’t for that Bezos boat anchor 
I’d be solidly green aside from APPN but that thing doubled in a week or so, not surprised with some profit taking. It’s one of my long term positions so I’m not selling any time soon anyway.

I put most of my cash back to work on some dips in UPRO and TNA.  I don't want to miss the stimulus/infrastructure bumps.  Both long term holds.

If LTTs rise another 10% I'll see most of those to dump back into these two as well.  Debating SOXL as a third option,  but we'll see if there is a better entry point down the road.  May trickle in this spring.

Target price for Orrcf?  Tempted to sell half a free roll the rest. The analyst podcast I saw was targeting 4.50 to 5 as I recall 
Good question. Copper heading toward $4 really changes the economics quite a bit. Not totally sure how serious to take Mariusz, but he's clearly quite bulled up. I'm hoping for $5. 

Nikola down to $19.63 in premarket trading.  It wouldn't surprise me if it fell further.  The GM news is bad.  GM was the only thing giving Nikola any legitimacy.

Bought a small amount of BB a few years ago at 10.58.  Been tanking since.  Saw this morning a 33% increase thanks to an AWS partnership regarding secure data transfer of car data for analysis.  I’ve been following the tickr news for BB over time and they seem to be making a push into the car market. They have some sort of deal with a China automaker to be the OS for their fleet. 

Not saying this news is paramount.  However I do think it warrants eyes. If they are successful in penetrating the smart car market share there is money to be made, especially in China. 

Zoom down 12% after earnings. 
They could have increased revenue 5000% and it wouldn’t have mattered. I’m glad I sold 85% of my shares at $570. Got lucky that day was after I had gotten to long term capital gains. It seemed way too frothy and lucky again that it ended up being the ATH day. They had another blowout quarter and the number of clients exploded. I have no doubt they will continue to do well but it make take a bit before the share price gets back to the peak since it jumped so much. I’m holding my last 20 shares for long term but damn glad I sold most.

Purchasing more PLTR at $24.76
I may drip in a bit but that P/S is still almost 50. It’s definitely not a good brokerage account day for me as all the ZM like stocks are taking a hit whether they are WFH or not. Most are not but they are pretty sympathetic in terms of moving up and down. Have ZS and OKTA earnings tonight so either they stem the tide or bring more pain.

What's everyone doing with their GBTC? :unsure:
Holding baby, this bull run is just getting started!  We got a good 5 months to go before we get anywhere near the top of this run.

The only hesitation I have is how much of the premium over the actual amount of bitcoin in each share will be affected if a true bitcoin etf is approved by the sec.  Gbtc does trade at a fraction of what the premiums are on other grayscale holdings but it's generally between 12-30%.

I really don't see how people can afford to risk not having 10% of their portfolio in crypto, specifically gbtc.  If I wasn't in now, I would be ready to pounce at the next 10% pullback of btc price.

I'm currently at about 98% in crypto related investments, but I'm also playing with a lifetime of house money so I wouldn't recommend that approach.

It's hard to argue against the success of Bitcoin investors.  But at the end of the day, it is phantom money.  It has the potential go sub-$1,000.
My perspective is the opposite side of the spectrum.  Bitcoin is the only truly finite resource we have available to invest in as a store of value.

The days of sub 10k are gone.  At this point it isn't any more likely to collapse than any of the 10 largest companies in the world that have a higher market cap.

As a believer in bitcoin, I'm the same guy that hoards physical silver and ammunition in his basement.

Eta: I do appreciate your perspective and respect your stance.  I don't expect to change any minds on the subject completely but I do hope that some of the information I provide either validates feelings for others or provides enlightenment on the subject.  Respect.

My perspective is the opposite side of the spectrum.  Bitcoin is the only truly finite resource we have available to invest in as a store of value.

The days of sub 10k are gone.  At this point it isn't any more likely to collapse than any of the 10 largest companies in the world that have a higher market cap.

As a believer in bitcoin, I'm the same guy that hoards physical silver and ammunition in his basement.

Eta: I do appreciate your perspective and respect your stance.  I don't expect to change any minds on the subject completely but I do hope that some of the information I provide either validates feelings for others or provides enlightenment on the subject.  Respect.
No hard feelings and obviously you’ve done well but watching ethe loss half it’s value scared me off

If anyone wants to take it a step further with bitcoin, some of the mining stocks worth keeping an eye on as they should offer leveraged returns on this bull run.

I think we have another 300% to go on btc price. Any short term pullbacks are going to do be from the dwindling number of whales exiting their positions for a profit.  These coins are going to be bought by institutional investors with longer term ambitions.

Square's cash app, paypal, and grayscale alone are gobbling up bitcoin twice as fast as it's being mined.  There is an imminent bitcoin supply crisis looming.

Mining stocks in the order I like them for future gains.

1.  DMGGF

2. HVBTF

3. MARA

4. RIOT

5. EBON

And again, these are all going to be leveraged plays so the best time to jump in is going to be on a pullback.

I expect things to bounce around this range, but once 20k resistance is breached it's going to be off to the races.

I understand the silver and ammo piece, but I don't see what Bitcoin/internet money really does for you in a SHTF type of scenario.

No hard feelings and obviously you’ve done well but watching ethe loss half it’s value scared me off
I timed that entry absolutely horribly.  I was able to lower my basis to about 90 and actually unloaded it in the last 24 hours at around 17% gains. But that was only after taking that 50% kick in the pants off the bat.

Ethe holds about 1/10 of a ether per share.  The premium just dissolved almost overnight, the actual price of ether has risen right with btc.

Users who are viewing this thread