What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (13 Viewers)

Crap, you are right about that.  3 months compare to the extended timeframe you mentioned is probably the biggest reason.

So did we learn anything from the TDOC/Livongo merger?  TDOC tanked the day after.
The entire healthcare sector is chasing that valuation.  It's gone crazy.  Call yourself virtual care or AI and they are throwing tens and hundreds of millions at you.  Then the M&A starts behind it.  Then the blank check SPAC's. It's fund now, ask questions later.  I know it's more than that.  Maybe these guys are that smart.  I dunno

The entire healthcare sector is chasing that valuation.  It's gone crazy.  Call yourself virtual care or AI and they are throwing tens and hundreds of millions at you.  Then the M&A starts behind it.  Then the blank check SPAC's. It's fund now, ask questions later.  I know it's more than that.  Maybe these guys are that smart.  I dunno
So...my takeaway: stay away from healthcare tech.  Stick to the big insurers who are going to make money regardless unless a Bernie type is elected.  My $ANTM and $UNH are at their all time highs.

Give me the rundown on this company. I literally know nothing about them. I keep seeing you guys reference them, and watching the '21 puts up to $2.60 is certainly interesting from a return perspective, aside from potentially buying shares.
Peter Theil has his hands in it, if that changes your mind at all one way or the other.

wild ride for GMHI/LAZR today. Was down 20% now up 8%. 
Been holding that for a while. Only have 200 shares but it was one of the bunch I bought a few months ago. If it switches over tomorrow I’ll see what it does. It’s in my IRA so no worry about taxes when selling but seems like it’s got potential long term.

Looks like OKTA and ZS are up nicely. CRWD and ESTC as well but dummy here didn’t buy some when both dipped under $100 recently. Should help my tech stuff to a decent day.

So...my takeaway: stay away from healthcare tech.  Stick to the big insurers who are going to make money regardless unless a Bernie type is elected.  My $ANTM and $UNH are at their all time highs.
What do you think happens to health insurance companies when the US joins the rest of the world with socialized healthcare?

Been holding that for a while. Only have 200 shares but it was one of the bunch I bought a few months ago. If it switches over tomorrow I’ll see what it does. It’s in my IRA so no worry about taxes when selling but seems like it’s got potential long term.
up HUGE after hours

What do you think happens to health insurance companies when the US joins the rest of the world with socialized healthcare?
I work in healthcare, but I"m no expert.  I don't know when (if) the US will move to socialized medicine.  Obamacare was a minor step and hardly in that direction, but major carriers were key in the state marketplaces.  The government was not insuring folks, they had to buy insurance on the marketplace from private carriers.  If Biden does the same and this becomes the compromised norm (doubtful, but maybe Republicans concede to this rather than Medicare for All), then insurance carriers make out well.

Plus many of the big payers also have lucrative side-businesses that make good $$$.  UNH owns Optum which has a huge pharmacy business as well has hospital consulting/management businesses.  Aetna is now a part of CVS which is also insurance/pharmacy.  Anthem and Cigna tried to merge but I think that fell through for one reason or another.

Long story short I think the private payers are in a good spot right now.  Plus while they might be paying more for COVID admissions, in the short/intermediate term they're saving quite a bit of money with so many hospitals decreasing or completely putting a pause on all of their elective surgeries which are the high dollar payouts for insurance carriers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does it matter, we won't be around to see what happens.

You have a coalition of 90% of the country that has no vested interest in helping out the 10% getting buried.

@KGB Finally dipped a toe in PLTR at $21.80. Just 100 shares, but felt like a good start. If it dips more keep DCAing into a half to a full share.
Glad you waited.  I originally got in about $18 and even though I bought more yesterday, still in the green 8%.

I just think this is a cpmpany that in 10 years, you say, duh. The biggest name data company with all the GOVT contracts.  So, I'm very long term on this buy.

Have been following along for a little while now.  I’ve pretty much only invested in vanguard ETF’s (VTI, VWO, etc.), amazon, and Bitcoin.  I’ve been very pro crypto for a few years now but never had the money to invest like I’d like until recent.

I’m 34, fairly risk adverse and while small in these groups have just gotten on my feet after years of mess ups and probably have around 5k to start with and around 500 going in every week.  Any words of advice where to look at or stick with the etf’s so I’m pretty well diverse.  Am still leaning towards keeping a minimum of 25% in crypto if not more.

Thanks.

Have been following along for a little while now.  I’ve pretty much only invested in vanguard ETF’s (VTI, VWO, etc.), amazon, and Bitcoin.  I’ve been very pro crypto for a few years now but never had the money to invest like I’d like until recent.

I’m 34, fairly risk adverse and while small in these groups have just gotten on my feet after years of mess ups and probably have around 5k to start with and around 500 going in every week.  Any words of advice where to look at or stick with the etf’s so I’m pretty well diverse.  Am still leaning towards keeping a minimum of 25% in crypto if not more.

Thanks.
I would only invest a small $$$ amount.  like 5% as a learning/play money for most of the stuff in this thread until you feel comfortable.  It's been a great market for a long time which makes everything look gravy.  

2. be more patient than me 

I would only invest a small $$$ amount.  like 5% as a learning/play money for most of the stuff in this thread until you feel comfortable.  It's been a great market for a long time which makes everything look gravy.  

2. be more patient than me 
That’s probably a good idea.  90% to bit/Amazon/etfs and tag along some with the remaining 10% 🙂🏻

Glad you waited.  I originally got in about $18 and even though I bought more yesterday, still in the green 8%.

I just think this is a cpmpany that in 10 years, you say, duh. The biggest name data company with all the GOVT contracts.  So, I'm very long term on this buy.
I do think there will be more dips just because it went so high so quick and it’s kind of lumped together with all the SPACs and EVs that have been jumping lately. Kind of like how Amazon and other tech related stocks got bucketed in the WFH stocks.

I’ll keep building a position.

Not sure why but LGVW up 5% after hours.  
Cathie Wood is a noted investor and her funds bought LGVW today.  She has a strong following that tails her on buys.

I saw this and now I'm taking a closer look because she and her team are some of the sharpest tech investor minds in the world.

Cathie Wood is a noted investor and her funds bought LGVW today.  She has a strong following that tails her on buys.

I saw this and now I'm taking a closer look because she and her team are some of the sharpest tech investor minds in the world.
By chance are you my ex-wife?

Very interesting!

Just poking at how much you change your mind.

You held some pretty firm convictions on DKNG so I was surprised how quickly you changed your mind here.
can't have the same mindset on all stocks IMHO.   DKNG is a unique company in an emerging market.  LGVW not so much.  My doctor buddies are not run of the mill MDs.  They have made me a lot of money over the past 10 years.   Got me in on CRISPR early...made a boatload.  

Nothing wrong with listening to other informed opinions.

can't have the same mindset on all stocks IMHO.   DKNG is a unique company in an emerging market.  LGVW not so much.  My doctor buddies are not run of the mill MDs.  They have made me a lot of money over the past 10 years.   Got me in on CRISPR early...made a boatload.  

Nothing wrong with listening to other informed opinions.
It's all good.  Your initial post didn't have much info so I was like WTF?  Appreciate the follow up explaining why you changed your mind.

Wood buying wasn’t today. That’s week old news. That’s why it popped up before dropping Monday/Tuesday. It’s popped today because it’s an SPAC and some of them move in sympathy. Just like EVs and WFH/tech stocks. That’s been happening a lot this year.

• Thanks
Reactions: KGB
I hope Jeff is enjoying some well deserved time off. Made me a fortune this year. :wub:
Hasn't done diddly in 4 months.  That's plenty of time off.  GE was a great stock back in the day too.  Now that I mentioned it, even GE has about doubled during the last 4 months.  Freaking department stores like Kohl's and Nordstrom have doubled in that time.  Companies that don't even have a product like RIDE and NNOX have doubled in that time.  Floating petri dishes are punching him in the nose like they are a young Tyson.  It's like he's running an inverse ETF during a bull run.  Dude needs to take some lessons from Elon, he doesn't take time off and neither does his stock.  Stonks go up, get with the program Jeffrey.

Hasn't done diddly in 4 months.  That's plenty of time off.  GE was a great stock back in the day too.  Now that I mentioned it, even GE has about doubled during the last 4 months.  Freaking department stores like Kohl's and Nordstrom have doubled in that time.  Companies that don't even have a product like RIDE and NNOX have doubled in that time.  Floating petri dishes are punching him in the nose like they are a young Tyson.  It's like he's running an inverse ETF during a bull run.  Dude needs to take some lessons from Elon, he doesn't take time off and neither does his stock.  Stonks go up, get with the program Jeffrey.
Agree.  I'm pretty pissed.  I have 70+ shares and im in the red.  I coulda played darts and made more :angry:

Better not see "christmas was already factored in" after they blow away earnings.

incorrect...she bought 259,096  shares on 12/2.  

I'll bet you on it if you want action.
Here you go from 11/24:

https://m.benzinga.com/article/18510212

Her and others buying isn’t new news. It even says that her firm could continue to buy.

Article even mentions that she bought IPOB at $18 in September. She should have asked me about that since I bought it around $11 on a recommendation a couple months prior. I could have saved her some money.

Agree.  I'm pretty pissed.  I have 70+ shares and im in the red.  I coulda played darts and made more :angry:

Better not see "christmas was already factored in" after they blow away earnings.
When did you start investing? Also, do you have accounts with index funds/ETFs? If you own an S&P 500 type fund, 5% or so is Amazon. I think I figured out that 15-20%ish of my index type funds were Apple, Google, Amazon and Facebook. If you’ve enjoyed any of the past decade’s stock run up in funds/ETFs you’re in the green on Amazon.

That said, you’ve done what many a man couldn’t do, not make money on Amazon stock. Congrats? ;)

I didn't say or imply she didn't buy earlier, I knew she had.  I specifically said she bought today, and that may have contributed to post market rally.
Ok, I was just saying that I don’t think that was the impetus today. People already knew that and with all of the different funds/multiple investments expected. I think it was really as simple as SPACs can sometimes run in packs due to FOMO/retail investors. Look at GMHI, almost identical days. Started way down and increased a lot at the end of the day and way up in AH. Not exactly the same %s, but LGVW did the same as did a bunch of other SPACs. It’s not the same everyday but reading some of those r/wsb discussions and you’d think those guys have literally every penny in TSLA, SPACs and PLTR. Most have no clue what the company’s do. It’s amusing. Still there are enough daily traders now that they appear to be able to move small stocks. I saw discussions on both GMHI and LGVW on there.

When did you start investing? Also, do you have accounts with index funds/ETFs? If you own an S&P 500 type fund, 5% or so is Amazon. I think I figured out that 15-20%ish of my index type funds were Apple, Google, Amazon and Facebook. If you’ve enjoyed any of the past decade’s stock run up in funds/ETFs you’re in the green on Amazon.

That said, you’ve done what many a man couldn’t do, not make money on Amazon stock. Congrats? ;)
LOL. I was in this thread 10 years ago.  Started with $2K.  Wish I could say I was successful, I kept going for homeruns and would sometimes buy and sell within minutes.  I had no patience and still struggle with that.

I cashed out my stock options from work and decided to give it a go but with a different outlook.  I still jump into some plays here, but again, I usually get frustrated when they go down and lose.  up 30% over what I would have been if I kept my old work stock, so happy.

Been in and out of AMZN quite a few times and am in the green overall.  

My strategy now, which it should have been years ago, is to only buy stocks I dont mind holding a long time.  Hence, I keep adding to AMZN to lower my cost.  but not selling it for quite awhile, hopefully over a year for tax reasons.  Maybe forever.

My goal this year is to have

AMZN

AVGO

MJ

CHWY

PLTR

RBLX

ABNB

and hold for a very long time. 

edit - (I remember when facebook was highly debated in this thread if it was a suckers bet.  I think it opened around $30)

Dude...that's not cool.

Even with the wink.

LOL. I was in this thread 10 years ago.  Started with $2K.  Wish I could say I was successful, I kept going for homeruns and would sometimes buy and sell within minutes.  I had no patience and still struggle with that.

I cashed out my stock options from work and decided to give it a go but with a different outlook.  I still jump into some plays here, but again, I usually get frustrated when they go down and lose.  up 30% over what I would have been if I kept my old work stock, so happy.

Been in and out of AMZN quite a few times and am in the green overall.  

My strategy now, which it should have been years ago, is to only buy stocks I dont mind holding a long time.  Hence, I keep adding to AMZN to lower my cost.  but not selling it for quite awhile, hopefully over a year for tax reasons.  Maybe forever.

My goal this year is to have

AMZN

AVGO

MJ

CHWY

PLTR

RBLX

ABNB

and hold for a very long time. 

edit - (I remember when facebook was highly debated in this thread if it was a suckers bet.  I think it opened around $30)
I remember that debate.  Bought in the low 20s and sold in the 180s.  

Keep pounding Amazon.  Bezos will eventually get off his #### and make you some money.

I remember that debate.  Bought in the low 20s and sold in the 180s.  

Keep pounding Amazon.  Bezos will eventually get off his #### and make you some money.
The facebook debate was very interesting.  If I remember, It dropped quite a bit in the beginning.  

One of the things I like is a brand name.  IE you "AIRBNB a stay"  You "order an uber"  I'm not sold on doordash as most people I know use competitors.  

That why I like the AIRBNB ipo.  Will it go down?  Dunno.  I'll buy 300 shares and average down if that's the case.

WISH is also having an IPO.

They have the name recognition (at least according to my FB feed) but I think they are scammy and staying away.  

Also think NKLA is a scam and I dont care if it goes up.  Some day it's going to burn and I'm not risking it.

Users who are viewing this thread