What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (24 Viewers)

My buddy is building his own analysis tool to monitor Reddit trading forms. He's taking into considering the timing and velocity of "up votes" and comparing that against the reputation of the poster. He just told me about it on Friday, so I'm curious to see how his test plays out.
DSGT is one of the stocks that came up for him today. New Chinese EV stock that has produced inventory and has orders already for 2021.

QS exploded on some pretty exciting news. Any folks know what Tesla’s battery charging time is? The PR said 80% charge in 15 minutes with I think no degradation. If you can charge up 200 miles in 15 minutes, that’s big. I think stuff like this causes problems for charging stations (maybe BEEM) that don’t do a fast charge being connected to the grid. Not sure, would be interested in the Tesla real world specs. How fast can you charge to almost full capacity?
BEEM was up nearly 14% today, so.....news didn't seem to impact them negatively.  

BEEM was up nearly 14% today, so.....news didn't seem to impact them negatively.  
Less short term, I couldn’t tell you what’s driving all these stocks now. Some crazy valuations. Like Oprah style, you get a market cap of $15B, you get a market cap of $15B, and so on.

That said, I’m really asking a question. If I can plug in at work and at home and be almost full in 15 minutes, how would that impact a solar charger that I’d have to assume doesn’t have the same max ampage. Will there even be a need for external charging? Even a Chargepoint. I mean does the fast charge require some sort of new connector to manage the faster charging, etc.

Also, thinking about Tesla. If the big auto companies have access to let’s say potentially better battery tech, what’s Tesla’s real advantage? Someone posted an article (might have been in the Tesla thread) about quality issues and one advantage they had over the Nissan Leafs and others was battery life. If that’s not an advantage is it just another car brand?

The EV/related stock market is bigger than the automotive industry stocks right now so I’m interested in where it may end up and the shake up of winners and losers (most of the stocks now likely fall in here).

Wasn’t Tesla down 3% at one point today? There is more froth over that stock than any I’ve ever seen. 
That QS news could be really big. I think one of Tesla’s huge advantages is that their battery life is much better than the rest. It’ll be fun to see how it all shakes out. Some of these stocks now are priced to absolute perfection.

That QS news could be really big. I think one of Tesla’s huge advantages is that their battery life is much better than the rest. It’ll be fun to see how it all shakes out. Some of these stocks now are priced to absolute perfection.
I haven’t had a chance to follow much today. What is the QS news?

Big thanks to all of you for the recent tips (excluding you Bezo's butt kissers that put me on that boat anchor).  Especially appreciate the tips when you are looking to establish a position or recently did as opposed to a week later noting how you are already up 50%.  2x this when you actually explain your reasoning.

Big thanks to all of you for the recent tips (excluding you Bezo's butt kissers that put me on that boat anchor).  Especially appreciate the tips when you are looking to establish a position or recently did as opposed to a week later noting how you are already up 50%.  2x this when you actually explain your reasoning.
Agreed. Always great to get new tips to research. I will have no regrets when I retire on the young side and people ask me how and I tell them that the FFA was a big part of it.

Damn, LAZR is crazy. It was up almost 20% and now down. People who bought in at the open assuming it’s going to rocket higher have lost almost 20% in an hour.
Bought some of what I sold when you did back today at $38. I kinda suck at this. 

I'm not getting in yet, mostly due to no cash.  But Keep an eye on

NASDAQ: LESL

There is a chlorine shortage and The prices have gone up and I don't think they will come down.

They went public this year and the stock has been down.  I'm undecided 

925 locations

$20.15 as of 12/07/20

trouble began early Thursday at a BioLab plant that manufacturers chlorine for swimming pools

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/08/27/hurricane-laura-fire-biolab/
Thanks for the tip. Will likely jump in tomorrow. Chlorine shortage sounds like easy green. My dad has been a loyal Leslie's customer for 30+ years. I had no idea they recently IPO'd.

That reminds me I need to buy a boat anchor for the boat I am buying with amazon money. Ty. 

I'm not getting in yet, mostly due to no cash.  But Keep an eye on

NASDAQ: LESL

There is a chlorine shortage and The prices have gone up and I don't think they will come down.

They went public this year and the stock has been down.  I'm undecided 

925 locations

$20.15 as of 12/07/20

trouble began early Thursday at a BioLab plant that manufacturers chlorine for swimming pools

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/08/27/hurricane-laura-fire-biolab/
Thanks for the tip. Will likely jump in tomorrow. Chlorine shortage sounds like easy green. My dad has been a loyal Leslie's customer for 30+ years. I had no idea they recently IPO'd.
Here's my question based on my 5 2 minutes of research.  Do they make the chlorine?  If they just re-sell and there's a shortage, I don't see how a supply shortage helps them.  You can't sell what you don't have.

Here's my question based on my 5 2 minutes of research.  Do they make the chlorine?  If they just re-sell and there's a shortage, I don't see how a supply shortage helps them.  You can't sell what you don't have.
They are charging a premium price.  I don't think it's a market mover or anything.  I'm not hopping in yet.  

For example, you cannot buy 50 LB buckets of 3" chlorine tabs anywhere right now.  But they sell thier 35LB bucket at a huge mark up.

They are charging a premium price.  I don't think it's a market mover or anything.  I'm not hopping in yet.  

For example, you cannot buy 50 LB buckets of 3" chlorine tabs anywhere right now.  But they sell thier 35LB bucket at a huge mark up.
I was assuming their wholesale price went up too.

Yeah it doesn’t make sense to me either. Now a company that manufactures chlorine products on the other hand...
Good point.  I think there were actually 3 chlorine facilities affected by fire/storms.

I can tell you that every pool guy is freaking out.

Kramer said AirBnB $68 and under back up the bus, small stake under $85.  $85 and over, wait for a dip to buy in later.  Thoughts?

Less short term, I couldn’t tell you what’s driving all these stocks now. Some crazy valuations. Like Oprah style, you get a market cap of $15B, you get a market cap of $15B, and so on.

That said, I’m really asking a question. If I can plug in at work and at home and be almost full in 15 minutes, how would that impact a solar charger that I’d have to assume doesn’t have the same max ampage. Will there even be a need for external charging? Even a Chargepoint. I mean does the fast charge require some sort of new connector to manage the faster charging, etc.

Also, thinking about Tesla. If the big auto companies have access to let’s say potentially better battery tech, what’s Tesla’s real advantage? Someone posted an article (might have been in the Tesla thread) about quality issues and one advantage they had over the Nissan Leafs and others was battery life. If that’s not an advantage is it just another car brand?

The EV/related stock market is bigger than the automotive industry stocks right now so I’m interested in where it may end up and the shake up of winners and losers (most of the stocks now likely fall in here).
Elon Musk memes? Cult brand following? There is a guy in my neighborhood who has painted a giant Tesla logo across the inside of his entire garage.

I dunno. I've been wrong about Tesla pretty consistently. I always thought other automakers would come up with good enough EVs before Tesla could make enough units. They've been slow, but SPACs really seem to be getting capital and cash (pipes) into a lot of concepts here.

Elon Musk memes? Cult brand following? There is a guy in my neighborhood who has painted a giant Tesla logo across the inside of his entire garage.

I dunno. I've been wrong about Tesla pretty consistently. I always thought other automakers would come up with good enough EVs before Tesla could make enough units. They've been slow, but SPACs really seem to be getting capital and cash (pipes) into a lot of concepts here.
Being wrong can also be purely about stock price. For a company that hasn’t isn’t profitable without tax credits yet and is growing 15% a year, you wouldn’t expect a 500-600% pop in a year. It’s easy to miss huge jumps in a market that thinks splits and ticket changes are fundamental changes. This market is absolutely fueled by way more speculation this year.

All that said, I am also interested in the competition. Right now Tesla is in the battery lead and when I googled advantage Tesla has over competitors, the top two of five advantages in the article were about batteries. The others were more nebulous like brand.

If the quality issues are true like I read about and there are battery manufacturers that come up with a better battery to supply the big guys then what’s the advantage? I get iPhones versus Android. There’s a lot to get used to, but a car or truck? There are single brand people, but most people have driven different brands and there really is no learning curve. An iPhone is stickier than a car.

Anyway, not dissing Tesla but that announcement is really interesting news, especially since the battery day news from Tesla wasn’t a big deal. I remember the stock got hit pretty good (it recovered with no issues) because their were ground breaking expectations that didn’t materialize.

BassNBrew said:
Kramer said AirBnB $68 and under back up the bus, small stake under $85.  $85 and over, wait for a dip to buy in later.  Thoughts?
Definitely interested in it long term, just really hoping I somehow pull some shares. 100 would be the minimum lot so it would be an almost full share to start. If I don’t get shares then I’ll have to think about the price.

I do think we are in a way overheated market, so it wouldn’t shock me to see a post Santa rally pull back with a big whack. Anything IPO related like SPACs or  even recent IPOs are hot as heck and way, way overvalued. Stocks getting P/S ratios of 40/50/70 and even 220. Just insane market caps. I know I’ve got tech stocks that have done well, but I don’t own any of the crazy’s. Some of my “expensive” stocks look like dollar store discounts compared to SNOW and U.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nigel said:
Bought some of what I sold when you did back today at $38. I kinda suck at this. 
Why? You’re up $3 a share today. Nothing wrong with that. I’m happy I had shares and got a nice gain. Missed an even better one but like today, I know it’s overvalued now so it’s riskier. I’ll take a 150% gain on a short term buy every day of the week. There are so many stocks out there that there’s always one that got away.

BassNBrew said:
If you can hold long anything under 100 is safe.

68 could go 2x real quick in this market.  I'm getting in as soon as I can assuming under 100.

I have less interest in Door Dash at its proposed valuation/offering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm at 100% gains on Unity, a stock which I shared here several months back.   Contemplating a sale here to cash some gains.

Users who are viewing this thread