What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (11 Viewers)

I’m maxing out my blockfi.com account ($500/month) and will buy BTC every month with my extra cash. They are paying 8% interest to keep your BTC there. Ride the wave and earn 8% to boot!!
Do you have a referral link?

Do they have minimums on purchases and/or account balances?

Is it tied directly your bank account or to your credit card?

Skrillex or deadmau5....who would win in a fist fight?

This recent crypto bull  run has put me at 90% gains in the last 9 months.   I’ll probably never see anything like it again. Wit that and my business having a record year it all feels make believe.  Weirdest part, I haven’t spent a cent above what I would normally spend this year and have actually spent less.  Went shopping for a Porsche and haven’t bought anything because of low inventory...bizarre times. 

current holdings 

DKNG 

SI 

BTC 

IPOB 

50% cash 
You are always willing to share and help in this thread so it is great to hear you are doing well!

But the point is more that people THINK it can be worthwhile in a money crunch. No one, basically, really holds gold so that they can turn it into jewelry. Hell, most people holding gold don't even have the physical bars to do that if they wanted to. So the point is that gold is more an illusion of having worth in the physical sense outside of a normal market. Once you get past the illusion and realize that in real life, holding gold doesn't really mean that you are going to find someone to melt it into jewelry, it's easier to see how something digital that is not tied to the equity markets, like Cryptocurrency, could do that same thing as gold without the physical holding requirements. 
I get that. It’s just that I don’t believe in it yet. It’s not cryptocurrency in general, because there are no moats around that. We saw that when a million and one alt coins surfaced. I guess that’s my main wonder. Gold is what it is. No one is creating a new version of it. What makes Bitcoin truly special outside of the evangelists. Right now it’s absolutely FOMO. It’s really no different to most people than buying Apple stock and hoping it goes up. I will likely dip my toes in but I’m not sold on it.

@stbugs I'm not going to search for the post (last Thursday), but it was the one where you were breaking down valuations and comparing to SQ and said you maybe convinced yourself to buy more SQ.  I added a small stake that day and am up 15%.  Thanks man.  Wish I had bought more but we can't own everything.
I think it was based on their revenues that I didn’t realize how much they popped. I’m up over 50% in 1.5 months just wish I bought more. I’ve only got 20 shares, but I definitely want more. Just not psyched about buying right now.

I get that. It’s just that I don’t believe in it yet. It’s not cryptocurrency in general, because there are no moats around that. We saw that when a million and one alt coins surfaced. I guess that’s my main wonder. Gold is what it is. No one is creating a new version of it. What makes Bitcoin truly special outside of the evangelists. Right now it’s absolutely FOMO. It’s really no different to most people than buying Apple stock and hoping it goes up. I will likely dip my toes in but I’m not sold on it.
What's the most important thing for make believe money? 

Trust.

That's what sets BTC apart.....it's the most used, most trusted fake money out there. If we all just jumped ship to another fake currency, we'd all be making BTC worth less. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sure, I understand. My point is that it can become the "digital gold" if it can be used in a similar, non-physical way and in ways that Apple stock can really not, such as easy payments for physical goods. Of course you can try to barter your Apple stock certificates for some physical goods I guess, although I'm not sure that would be called an easy exchange. And with Visa and Coinbase launching a Debit card for Crypto next year (Link ), we're getting there. 

I've just personally always thought Gold holding was foolish unless you are going to go all in and have the physical bars in your house (and maybe a smelter on speed dial?). 

The idea of "being in Gold" to help when the markets fail during a Zombie Apocalypse seems dumb. 

Me: "But I have stock in Gold Miners!!!!"

Backwoods South Carolina Hunter: Plunges large knife into my heart

What's the most important thing for make believe money? 

Trust.

That's what sets BTC apart.....it's the most used, most trusted fake money out there. If we all just jumped ship to another fake currency, we'd all be making BTC worth less. 
Agreed. Currency is what people believe it is. My worry is that BTC is getting caught up in the same FOMO as TSLA and PLTR not a true trust. That said, not always bad to be in something with momentum but I don’t see it as a currency per se yet because it’s an investment first and not being exchanged for goods.

Do you have a referral link?

Do they have minimums on purchases and/or account balances?

Is it tied directly your bank account or to your credit card?

Skrillex or deadmau5....who would win in a fist fight?
Yes....one sec!

https://blockfi.com/?ref=94b762a3

Anyone can use this BTW.  Thank you in advance!

Deadmau5 would win for sure.  I’m not sure in minimums...but I know you can only max out at $500 with direct deposit from your bank account.

LuLu is crushing today.  

One thing I'll miss about the pandemic is companies reporting good numbers but getting killed because they don't give guidance.

This recent crypto bull  run has put me at 90% gains in the last 9 months.   I’ll probably never see anything like it again. Wit that and my business having a record year it all feels make believe.  Weirdest part, I haven’t spent a cent above what I would normally spend this year and have actually spent less.  Went shopping for a Porsche and haven’t bought anything because of low inventory...bizarre times. 

current holdings 

DKNG 

SI 

BTC 

IPOB 

50% cash 
Ok. This is getting crazy. My largest two accounts (about 2/3) are up 193%/167% the last 9 months (when it bottomed) and 119%/127% YTD.

I’m enjoying the hell out of it but I really feel like I need to be taking some more profits. MDB, ROKU, SEDG, TTD, OKTA, TWLO, CRNC and APPN make up 20-25% of my portfolio now and they are up 150-450% from when I bought them. I’ve seen positive articles about most but still. So much for rotation out of tech. Ride the wave or start trimming?

Anybody tail me on "SI"  ....it's been running.
I think I will do that as well as add SQ. I’ve got a few more stocks that I want to add, which is why I’m thinking strongly about trimming some of the winners. I don’t want my cash too low just in case there’s a good sized dip. I don’t see it this year or early next but it does feel like a 10%+ dip is on the horizon and high fliers tend to get whacked harder.

Ok. This is getting crazy. My largest two accounts (about 2/3) are up 193%/167% the last 9 months (when it bottomed) and 119%/127% YTD.

I’m enjoying the hell out of it but I really feel like I need to be taking some more profits. MDB, ROKU, SEDG, TTD, OKTA, TWLO, CRNC and APPN make up 20-25% of my portfolio now and they are up 150-450% from when I bought them. I’ve seen positive articles about most but still. So much for rotation out of tech. Ride the wave or start trimming?
I'm 50% cash because stocks seem expensive which is why I've rotated into crypto related plays.

I think 2021 will be more of a  winners and losers scenario as opposed to the amazing "every stock is a winner" ride that we've had in 2020.

Oh sure, I understand. My point is that it can become the "digital gold" if it can be used in a similar, non-physical way and in ways that Apple stock can really not, such as easy payments for physical goods. Of course you can try to barter your Apple stock certificates for some physical goods I guess, although I'm not sure that would be called an easy exchange. And with Visa and Coinbase launching a Debit card for Crypto next year (Link ), we're getting there. 

I've just personally always thought Gold holding was foolish unless you are going to go all in and have the physical bars in your house (and maybe a smelter on speed dial?). 

The idea of "being in Gold" to help when the markets fail during a Zombie Apocalypse seems dumb. 

Me: "But I have stock in Gold Miners!!!!"

Backwoods South Carolina Hunter: Plunges large knife into my heart
say what you will about gold as an investment...but it's just really cool to hold and touch physical gold.   

current holdings 

DKNG 

SI 

BTC 

IPOB 

50% cash 
SI has been another great tail.  Won't buy me a Porsche, but maybe a few monthly lease payments on a Cayman.  :drive:

Just saw the other post asking if others tailed.  Yes I did.  :thumbup:

I don't know what talking head pros I should listen to more than others, but every time I hear Tom Lee talk he always captures my full attention.  

If you own any of these in a non-taxable account, I would trim on days they are beating the market by a significant amount.  For example, I trimmed SE at $210 on one of those days and allocated some of that to SQ and ASO and then bought back some SE at $194.  That basically reduced my cost basis on those SE shares by 8%.  If I was wrong and SE ran to $225, I still had enough skin in the game to profit and would be trimming more.  Sort of the same approach I took with Amazon selling off most in the $3000 to $3350 range and then rebuilding the position  on down days.  I've missed some and had to buy back later at a higher price, but I'd feel more comfortable buying SE at $225 after it had hit $265, then buying at $210 the day it hits $210.  With the gains we've had this year, it's more about preserving some of those gains so I don't want to be at full positions in a stock unless it's had a stupid dip like LuLu or I'm 100% sold it's lagging the market for no good reason like Amazon.

I don't know what talking head pros I should listen to more than others, but every time I hear Tom Lee talk he always captures my full attention.  
Tom Lee has been the smartest guy in the room all year.  

He is one of my main datapoints when I formulate my strategy.

But the point is more that people THINK it can be worthwhile in a money crunch. No one, basically, really holds gold so that they can turn it into jewelry. Hell, most people holding gold don't even have the physical bars to do that if they wanted to. So the point is that gold is more an illusion of having worth in the physical sense outside of a normal market. Once you get past the illusion and realize that in real life, holding gold doesn't really mean that you are going to find someone to melt it into jewelry, it's easier to see how something digital that is not tied to the equity markets, like Cryptocurrency, could do that same thing as gold without the physical holding requirements. 
Yep. Although I don't use my money to speculate that this fear and delusion will continue to increase the price of the underlying, it isn't a bad bet.

Looks like it's been a rough year for Berkshire.B.  Down over the last year.
Wow. To be even with the beginning of the year is a tough miss. Also, if you look long term it’s only about 6% a year (not sure if it has dividends) return since 2007 right before the financial crisis. I think that’s behind the S&P.

Looks like it's been a rough year for Berkshire.B.  Down over the last year.
Wow. To be even with the beginning of the year is a tough miss. Also, if you look long term it’s only about 6% a year (not sure if it has dividends) return since 2007 right before the financial crisis. I think that’s behind the S&P.
Isn't Berkshire like half in AAPL too? It's almost like being overweight banking/airlines and selling them at their lows wasn't a good idea. 

They famously refuse to offer a dividend.

Gotcha.  Yeah the ACA hurts if you are over the subsidy levels, that's what makes all the difference.  Once you hit 65 a great medicare supplement and part d plan paired with part b of medicare would run about $350 a person per month without any out of pocket exposure for part d.  A good medicare advantage plan would drop that to around $200 a month with about $5k per person in worst case scenario out of pocket max.

Own a health/life insurance agency so I was just curious.
:thumbup:

Actually I think I can stay under the cliff - one of my hardest goals right now is to save enough post tax to ensure that I have enough to control income to  ride the cliff for a number of years.  However, even with a subsidy, one is on the hook for out of pocket expenses, dental (can be $$), vision, etc.  I think my actual ACA insurance outlay would be less than that, but you have to count for some reserve in there to take care of all kinds of other stuff.

Or I just make my wife continue to work and leech off of her.  I like this plan - she doesn't, sadly.

stbugs said:
It's been a bad investment that I've been beating the drum about all year.  Just trying to warn people.  

In Q3, Berkshire exited Costco (COST) after dumping Delta Air Lines (DAL) and all of its airlines stocks the prior quarter because of the coronavirus hit to global air travel.

Also in Q3, Berkshire slashed positions in JPMorgan Chase (JPM) by 95%, in Wells Fargo (WFC) by 46%, and in Barrick Gold (GOLD) by 42%, the latest 13F filings show.

Desert_Power said:
Isn't Berkshire like half in AAPL too? It's almost like being overweight banking/airlines and selling them at their lows wasn't a good idea. 
Here are the top 10 Warren Buffett stocks by number of shares held as of Sept. 30, based on Berkshire Hathaway's most recent 13-F filing from Nov. 16:

Bank of America (BAC), 1.01 billion

Apple (AAPL), 944.3 million

Coca-Cola (KO), 400 million

Kraft Heinz (KHC), 325.6 million

American Express (AXP), 151.6 million

U.S. Bancorp (USB), 131.9 million

Wells Fargo (WFC), 127.4 million

General Motors (GM), 80 million

Bank of New York Mellon (BK), 72.4 million

Sirius XM (SIRI), 50 million

It's a speculative crypto growth stock so comparing it to traditional banks is probably not wise.  You would need to believe in the proliferation of crypto(which has already started with PayPal etc.).  I personally believe that the proliferation has already begun and is here to stay.
I guess I owe you a beer or something at this point.

Does it seems to trade in concert with Bitcoin prices? Sees to me it just goes up every day. 

Here are the top 10 Warren Buffett stocks by number of shares held as of Sept. 30, based on Berkshire Hathaway's most recent 13-F filing from Nov. 16:

Bank of America (BAC), 1.01 billion

Apple (AAPL), 944.3 million

Coca-Cola (KO), 400 million

Kraft Heinz (KHC), 325.6 million

American Express (AXP), 151.6 million

U.S. Bancorp (USB), 131.9 million

Wells Fargo (WFC), 127.4 million

General Motors (GM), 80 million

Bank of New York Mellon (BK), 72.4 million

Sirius XM (SIRI), 50 million
Berkshire really started to show its age this year IMHO.   

stbugs said:
Unfathomable. Whomever had their money parked there not only didn’t make any but will never see these opportunities again. 

Charlie Harper said:
Interested.

However, long-term if/when crypto becomes mainstream....doesn't it just remove the need for them? Why wouldn't Coinbase just send BTC to Bianance directly?
there is definitely risk with anything crypto...US govt could clamp down at any time.   

The company is in a very unique position though with its existing relationships with company's like PayPal, and I have bet pretty big on it as result of its "First to market" positioning.

there is definitely risk with anything crypto...US govt could clamp down at any time.   

The company is in a very unique position though with its existing relationships with company's like PayPal, and I have bet pretty big on it as result of its "First to market" positioning.
What's the relationship?

Maybe it's too long-term, but as crypto matures why would Coinbase continue to pay Silvergate to send money through it's networks to Binance? Why use the middle man when they could just use the actual cryptocurrency's network? 

What's the relationship?

Maybe it's too long-term, but as crypto matures why would Coinbase continue to pay Silvergate to send money through it's networks to Binance? Why use the middle man when they could just use the actual cryptocurrency's network? 
Because they don't want to play in that game.  Keep the business model simple...for now.

TripItUp said:
say what you will about gold as an investment...but it's just really cool to hold and touch physical gold.   
Sure. Are you doing that? Do you have the bars at your house? Can you post a picture?

Users who are viewing this thread