What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (11 Viewers)

I'm a big fan of crypto but can we move the debate on whether or not it's a good investment to the bitcoin thread? Lots of stock talk is getting buried in here this week...
What about companies like SI or PayPal?

I don't want to pee in the pool.

Add SQ to this list. I’m not selling anytime soon but want to read people’s takes on it as well.
I'm just trying to understand where the crypto talk can begin and end in this particular thread.

I've purposely avoided cryptocurrency trading here, but there are crypto stocks(that are not currency) like SI that should be discussed somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just trying to understand where the crypto talk can begin and end in this particular thread.

I've purposely avoided cryptocurrency trading here, but there are crypto stocks(that are not currency) like SI that should be discussed somewhere.
It's here. I don't think anyone has an issue with discussing the companies or the trades. I think they're just looking to avoid the "BTC is a scam" vs "BTC is a store of value and the future of currency" argument in here.

TripItUp said:
This recent crypto bull  run has put me at 90% gains in the last 9 months.   I’ll probably never see anything like it again. Wit that and my business having a record year it all feels make believe.  Weirdest part, I haven’t spent a cent above what I would normally spend this year and have actually spent less.  Went shopping for a Porsche and haven’t bought anything because of low inventory...bizarre times. 

current holdings 

DKNG 

SI 

BTC 

IPOB 

50% cash 
I wish i had the discipline to both have that much in cash as well as only have 4 investments.

McBokonon said:
Anyone else holding some $FEAC going into the ticker change tomorrow or Friday? (sometimes these things aren't smooth.) I know @BassNBrew is. $SKLZ has a pretty interesting and well-regarded history - CNBC Disruptor 50, no debt, founder-led, etc. 
This thing is starting to pick up steam after just meandering a bit, might hang onto this for a while.

So when does AMZN get sued for anti-trust?  Seems to be the popular thing to do to mega corps.
Honestly, I don’t think they fall in anti trust. I can see Facebook (who are their true competitors), Google (other search engine) and maybe Apple (hard to avoid paying them, like the IE browser long time ago). How can you say that you can’t order from a bazillion other web sites? Microsoft and Google are big competitors to AWS. Prime isn’t Netflix. I don’t know what may happen, but I did think about it before and they seem way less of a monopoly in their areas. Sure they are big but it’s way too easy to show that they aren’t. Apple can’t show how someone can make a mobile game without giving them a ridiculous cut. If I’m a game company I could point to how much gaming console licensing is and show that Apple is taking a much larger cut or show that Google owns which search results come up and favors people that pay them and there are no real alternatives.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Caesar said:
CBBT on the move again for those still in it.  up 28%
Yeah, I'm still in. I may buy some more, and if this thing gets a pop when that merger goes through I will probably get out. 

Here are the top 10 Warren Buffett stocks by number of shares held as of Sept. 30, based on Berkshire Hathaway's most recent 13-F filing from Nov. 16:

Bank of America (BAC), 1.01 billion

Apple (AAPL), 944.3 million

Coca-Cola (KO), 400 million

Kraft Heinz (KHC), 325.6 million

American Express (AXP), 151.6 million

U.S. Bancorp (USB), 131.9 million

Wells Fargo (WFC), 127.4 million

General Motors (GM), 80 million

Bank of New York Mellon (BK), 72.4 million

Sirius XM (SIRI), 50 million

Berkshire really started to show its age this year IMHO.   
That pretty much sums it up. For whatever reason (P/E?) Buffet has pretty much remained out of tech other than the 🍑. The Oracle is getting old.

That pretty much sums it up. For whatever reason (P/E?) Buffet has pretty much remained out of tech other than the 🍑. The Oracle is getting old.
He's always said he doesn't invest in businesses he doesn't understand. I could see that being true of a lot of the tech companies, although not all of them. 

So if I'm getting right now you think this thing still has room to run? 

Aside from my super long term concern this seems like a great play for crypto.
Still room to run IMHO.  I am holding, not selling after being up 36%.  

For me nothing in the crypto universe is long term IMHO, you have to really keep your ear to the ground if you own these stocks.  I don't day trade, but I'll buy and sell in the same week if the data suggests I should.

Not counting sector funds? 

SE

DIS

TSLA

AMZN

DFS

VZ

GOOGL

MSFT

TM

for the most part, very commonly owned companies. But all together these are less than 10% of our investments. I need to start looking at some smaller companies and take the risk there. SE was probably my biggest risk other than C### which I was late to the party.

He's always said he doesn't invest in businesses he doesn't understand. I could see that being true of a lot of the tech companies, although not all of them. 
If he understands apple, there's no reason he shouldn't understand Google, Microsoft, PayPal, etc. Maybe not the startups. I get that the value doesn't seem to be there for most.

Berkshire invested in Snowflake (though probably not Warren himself) and StoneCo, too. They might be in the early stages of turning that glacier around.

BassNBrew said:
LuLu is crushing today.  

One thing I'll miss about the pandemic is companies reporting good numbers but getting killed because they don't give guidance.
Followed you on this one, thanks for the tip. These bizzaro reactions to earnings have been layup gains all year.

$SKLZ coming up on CNBC, seems to be finding momentum (I don't think all platforms have it yet.) Hope we see an end of day pop from the appearance,.

I've only been in ETFs and index funds in my 401K rollover IRAs and Roth IRA historically.  I just started trading/investing in individual stocks in the Roth back in May, so well after the March lows, and didn't really start moving funds from an index fund to individual stocks until July and August.  

YTD, my "passive" IRAs have returned exactly 10%.  This obviously trails the S&P at about 14.5% and has largely been dragged down by a REIT fund down 17%, a couple of international funds that are up around 5-6%, and a bond fund up 4%. But I get that one point of diversification is to lower volatility, and this is a very small time frame in the grand scheme of things.

Meanwhile my "active" Roth has returned 30% YTD.  That's nothing like the returns some of y'all have seen this year, but I'm pretty happy with that for not really starting to manage it until this summer.  Too bad it's only 12% of my total funds, but of course it used to be under 10%!  

Berkshire invested in Snowflake (though probably not Warren himself) and StoneCo, too. They might be in the early stages of turning that glacier around.
STNE was a stock that I tailed him on. Bought 200 shares in August after they announced that. It’s up 67%. Bought it the same time @Todem recommended EXC. I kind of want to build some cash and EXC doesn’t really fit my growth desire. I think I found a spot to trim, almost forgot about it.

And just like that it’s gone. Man, I do love this $0 commission world we are in now.

Still impressed by BTWN holding up like it is. Tokopedia already hired people who are known for taking companies public and said they are exploring an IPO yet this brand new SPAC is still up almost everything it gained based on them talking to Tokopedia. With the IPO frenzy that has happened for “hot” companies going IPO, why in the world would you settle for an SPAC? I like SPACs too, but big boys aren’t going to go that route when they can get double their valuation because of a frothy market. If we hit a rut where IPOs suck for even good companies then SPACs will likely be a solid way to go out. That’s not now.

STNE was a stock that I tailed him on. Bought 200 shares in August after they announced that. It’s up 67%. Bought it the same time @Todem recommended EXC. I kind of want to build some cash and EXC doesn’t really fit my growth desire. I think I found a spot to trim, almost forgot about it.

And just like that it’s gone. Man, I do love this $0 commission world we are in now.
EXC only up 18% for me.  Made 20+% on PPL.  Not bad getting a 40% return on utility companies in 6 months when the market maybe did 20% over that time.  Thanks @Todem

I'm going to hold my EXC until I'm out of cash.  It should be trading at $50 so there is another 20% on the bone.

For you gamblers (literally and figuratively) I present:  Playgon.  PLGMF is your US ticker.  We're in this one pretty heavily and I've followed along personally.  I have a crush on one the female dealers but that not why we here!  Actually, that may be why I'm here.  

Anyhow, another penny stock that could fit the bill for some of you.  $0.47 cents a share currently, I think this thing could be HUGE.

or go to zero.  NOBODY KNOWS*

*We're betting on huge.  No pun intended.  Outstanding management pedigree, best in breed technology and did I mention really hot dealers?  
WTH, in for a half a position at $.46

Here are the top 10 Warren Buffett stocks by number of shares held as of Sept. 30, based on Berkshire Hathaway's most recent 13-F filing from Nov. 16:

Bank of America (BAC), 1.01 billion

Apple (AAPL), 944.3 million

Coca-Cola (KO), 400 million

Kraft Heinz (KHC), 325.6 million

American Express (AXP), 151.6 million

U.S. Bancorp (USB), 131.9 million

Wells Fargo (WFC), 127.4 million

General Motors (GM), 80 million

Bank of New York Mellon (BK), 72.4 million

Sirius XM (SIRI), 50 million
what a bunch of losers

there is definitely risk with anything crypto...US govt could clamp down at any time.   

The company is in a very unique position though with its existing relationships with company's like PayPal, and I have bet pretty big on it as result of its "First to market" positioning.
I loved that the analysts came out this morning with a new price target of 53 and by this afternoon they hit it.

EXC only up 18% for me.  Made 20+% on PPL.  Not bad getting a 40% return on utility companies in 6 months when the market maybe did 20% over that time.  Thanks @Todem

I'm going to hold my EXC until I'm out of cash.  It should be trading at $50 so there is another 20% on the bone.
I’ve got a series of new stocks I want to buy so just clearing it out for stocks that might multiply in 5 years. Still want to have some cash on hand just in case of a March like drop. I think with the dividend it made me 12-13%, so better than cash and a little more to buy something new.

Going to be doing a lot of portfolio review next week while on PTO. Lots of SPACs still left and probably a few more stocks that aren’t in my recommended list that haven’t popped. I’d consider the SPACs quick cash if needed but I’d like to get more aligned with my services/future goals. Setting some high bars but I’d love to get about 20% next year and double in 5 years. Throw in any extra savings and 401k contributions and I’d be able with SS to almost duplicate our current incomes using the 4% withdrawal method. Without kids at home, that should be a fantastic retirement. I won’t tell my wife that so she can be my sugar momma for a few more years and keep her health plan.

That’s my goal although with the way things are going lately I should reach it at the end of February. 

Definitely.

The war on cash isn't going away. Give me all the PYPL. SQ. V. MA. SE. MELI.
ARKF is a great managed fund too.  Led by Cathie Woods who has unique relationships with corporate leadership that give her and ARK an edge IMHO in terms of effectively managing their fund.

Big fan of what they are doing.   They've had huge run ups and everything feels frothy to me(hence my cash position) but if you want to go long on fintech I like this fund.  I''ll probably jump back in during a Q1 low...I've been holding long in several retirement accounts.

I loved that the analysts came out this morning with a new price target of 53 and by this afternoon they hit it.
The froth is high right now. I don’t think most of these retail investors get that targets are where analysts think a stock may be in a year, splits don’t actually give you extra money and that stocks don’t historically return 10% a day.

If you want your stock to go up, just release some news. 

Many analysts are expecting a Q1 correction, nothing major but maybe 10% S&P correction.   This makes a lot of sense to me and I've strategized accordingly.

This is why I'm mostly cash and waiting for a better buying opportunity(sans crypto) hopefully in Q1.   I'm forced to hold onto some of my triple digit gainers like DKNG for tax purposes, but I expect DKNG could continue to run so I'm okay holding.

I'm always looking out for the next "SI" though.  I've been looking at a silver swing trade play for example.

I've only been in ETFs and index funds in my 401K rollover IRAs and Roth IRA historically.  I just started trading/investing in individual stocks in the Roth back in May, so well after the March lows, and didn't really start moving funds from an index fund to individual stocks until July and August.  

YTD, my "passive" IRAs have returned exactly 10%.  This obviously trails the S&P at about 14.5% and has largely been dragged down by a REIT fund down 17%, a couple of international funds that are up around 5-6%, and a bond fund up 4%. But I get that one point of diversification is to lower volatility, and this is a very small time frame in the grand scheme of things.

Meanwhile my "active" Roth has returned 30% YTD.  That's nothing like the returns some of y'all have seen this year, but I'm pretty happy with that for not really starting to manage it until this summer.  Too bad it's only 12% of my total funds, but of course it used to be under 10%!  
Opened and put 2k in a Roth December 2nd, bought 2 stocks. One up 25.85%, one up 58.56%. 

+$846.54 (42.39%)

Very pleased with that.

Users who are viewing this thread