What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (6 Viewers)

You realize that Amazon is the reason NGA popped today, right? They’ve ordered trucks and have the potential to own 20% of the company. They also own a chunk of Rivian and own/own parts of a couple autonomous vehicle companies.

Seems like you owe Jeff a thank you.

I wasn’t close to a green day, just had a bunch up but overall down. Too many of my big guys down to overcome.
Remind me why I'm thanking Jeff for pointing out quality companies to invest in?  That would be like me asking you to thank me for buying LVGO or FLGT because I tailed you on it.

If I open an Ameritrade account, what are the chances I can figure out what to do? Does anyone know how much you need to open an account?

From what I can tell this seems a lot like sports gambling which I liked and miss. Thought I may try this. I have seen Trading Places more than once.

Todem said:
I really really hope everyone picked up some BLDP when I was able to post about that one and it was around 15-16 bucks a share. I LOVE THAT COMPANY AS A MASSIVE PLAY ON HYDROGEN power cells. A real deal company. 
@Todem really appreciate your tips earlier this year. Tailed you on several of your dividend picks and also the volatility plays.  Quick question on BLDP — what is their leg up versus FCEL?  Curious how you see the two compared to each other. 

If I open an Ameritrade account, what are the chances I can figure out what to do? Does anyone know how much you need to open an account?

From what I can tell this seems a lot like sports gambling which I liked and miss. Thought I may try this. I have seen Trading Places more than once.
Just follow this thread. Most every symbol/company mentioned here has been vetted by the regular posters.

I'm a muckraker that likes to play in the $1 to $15 range and do like BashNBezos looking for small quick gains. I'm also smart enough to get in on bigger buys recommended in here. I like to make long term money too 😉

:banned:

Just bought some SKLZ during extended hours tailing ARK.  Sold all of my FLIR for a quick 16% gain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have opened an Ameritrade account. Now I just need to fund it and away I go.

Whats the minimum I can start with? I thought I heard someone saying they bought stock for $1.40? Can I start that small and grow it?

I have no clue what I am doing. I am starting from scratch. I am not sure I even know what stocks and bonds are. I think I understand the main idea of buying low, selling high.

Whats the minimum I can start with? I thought I heard someone saying they bought stock for $1.40? Can I start that small and grow it?

I have no clue what I am doing. I am starting from scratch. I am not sure I even know what stocks and bonds are. I think I understand the main idea of buying low, selling high.
First find out if there are fees for buying and selling.  You dont want to spend $15 to buy $150 in stock, it's like starting 10% down

First find out if there are fees for buying and selling.  You dont want to spend $15 to buy $150 in stock, it's like starting 10% down
I think part of Ameritrade's schtick is no fees for buying/selling. 

How do they make money?

When I opened my Schwab brokerage account, I started with $1000 in that account. I just followed some recommendations here and bought a little bit of a few stocks. 

I have since added some more funds to that account as I learned things, but I can say all of my stocks came from recommendations here. And sometimes I only had 5 or 10 shares of a stock just to get my feet wet.

For me, I enjoyed being able to track 4 or 5 different stocks. Makes it interesting and you also get some diversity in your account. So for me, I have a couple of what I consider solid stocks that should stay stable over time.

I then gamble on some cheaper stocks because I can buy a lot of them for not much money.

For example, I bought one share of Apple for $400 or so before they split. It split into 4 shares worth $100 a piece. It has since risen to $129 per share. Then added some other stuff.

I learned a lot since June, which is when I started. 

Check out Robin Hood, it was made for complete novices and is apparently simple to use. 

Fidelity has been great, I'd go with them. 

Ameritrade has is no minimum to open a new account; however, a $2,000 deposit is required to be considered for margin and certain options privileges, regardless of any promotional offer.

Ameritrade has is no minimum to open a new account; however, a $2,000 deposit is required to be considered for margin and certain options privileges, regardless of any promotional offer.
From what I remember, fidelity had no minimum and no mandatory initial deposit. 

Longer term play as we continue to see interest coming into rare earths.  Not so bullish on uranium as the supply overhang is still considerable, but if you're looking for a domestic producer in the space, this would be one to own.  But it's their rare earths and the ability to process them which makes this company one to put on your watch list or buy if you want exposure here.
Twitter sure doesn't think there is much of a supply overhang.

I'm in $PDN over $UUUU based on this guy who I don't know but trust for some reason. 

Yesterday after hours Atyr ($LIFE)

Sees Positive Results in Trial for Patients With Respiratory Complications

BY Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
— 6:42 AM ET 01/05/2021

ATyr Pharma Inc.  said it saw positive topline results from the Phase 2 clinical trial of its lead therapeutic candidate, ATYR1923, in hospitalized Covid-19 patients with severe respiratory complications who don't require mechanical ventilation.

ATyr Pharma shares were up 16% to $4.59 in premarket trading Tuesday.

The biotherapeutics company said the trial met its primary endpoint of safety, demonstrating that a single, intravenous dose of ATYR1923 was generally safe and well-tolerated in both the 1.0 and 3.0 mg/kg treatment groups, with no drug-related serious adverse events. All patients in the study received standard of care treatment at the time of enrollment, which included remdesivir and/or dexamethasone.
I got some after hours last night at 4.50 and some more this morning at 4.23

@Todem really appreciate your tips earlier this year. Tailed you on several of your dividend picks and also the volatility plays.  Quick question on BLDP — what is their leg up versus FCEL?  Curious how you see the two compared to each other. 
Fundamentals. Plain and simple. Debt ratios, margins, interest funding.....every single fundamental metric has Ballard a far better play in the space. And then of course the intellectual property of Ballard is one of the tops in the industry. 

I will give you a few easy to understand tidbits on why Ballard over FCEL.

Revenue growth

BLDP  27% vs FCEL (-4%)

Debt to Capitol 

FCEL 44% vs BLDP 6%

Interest funding (this is a % of the companies revenue used to service debt the higher the number the worse it is)

FCEL 807% vs BLDP 6.5%

BLDP is my long term play based on business fundamentals. 

That is not to say FCEL can't be a great trade. But I am talking about a buy and hold. This is the type of stock you figure out how money are you willing to lose, because this is a gamble. A pure gamble. Pure speculation. But when I say potential 10 bagger that means if your willing to lose 10K to make 100K....you get the picture. 

If you have high conviction on hydrogen power as the real green future (I do) then you need to find the company you believe will be one of the big players...or potentially be bought out for a massive premium when it really takes off.

Ballard has already gone into deals with Audi to provide their fuel cells for future hydrogen vehicles. They also are in the commercial side with public transportation, backup power solutions, portable power, materials, and heavy duty automotive. I really like their future and like their fundamentals in the space. I view them as healthy financially which is a leg up on the competition long term. 

Fundamentals. Plain and simple. Debt ratios, margins, interest funding.....every single fundamental metric has Ballard a far better play in the space. And then of course the intellectual property of Ballard is one of the tops in the industry. 

I will give you a few easy to understand tidbits on why Ballard over FCEL.

Revenue growth

BLDP  27% vs FCEL (-4%)

Debt to Capitol 

FCEL 44% vs BLDP 6%

Interest funding (this is a % of the companies revenue used to service debt the higher the number the worse it is)

FCEL 807% vs BLDP 6.5%

BLDP is my long term play based on business fundamentals. 

That is not to say FCEL can't be a great trade. But I am talking about a buy and hold. This is the type of stock you figure out how money are you willing to lose, because this is a gamble. A pure gamble. Pure speculation. But when I say potential 10 bagger that means if your willing to lose 10K to make 100K....you get the picture. 

If you have high conviction on hydrogen power as the real green future (I do) then you need to find the company you believe will be one of the big players...or potentially be bought out for a massive premium when it really takes off.

Ballard has already gone into deals with Audi to provide their fuel cells for future hydrogen vehicles. They also are in the commercial side with public transportation, backup power solutions, portable power, materials, and heavy duty automotive. I really like their future and like their fundamentals in the space. I view them as healthy financially which is a leg up on the competition long term. 
And still a buy even after the 50% bump since you first recommended them? 

Not that I want anyone to lose money but BTWN has finally come back to earth a bit. From 19 to 13. 30% without an acquisition is still a nice return but amazed it took that long to burn off 80-90% gain when it was obvious that they presented an option to Tokopedia but they were going IPO.

I guess @stbugs was right.  Bezos obviously has taken a stake in NGA

Northern Genesis Acquisition Corp (NGA:NYSE) 

Real Time Quote | Last NASDAQ LS, VOL From CTA | USD

Last | 10:05:34 AM ESTVolume52 week range

-0.24 (-1.16%)

RLFTF opened at $.35.  It has a day high of $.35.  It is currently $.34.  CNBC shows it having a day low of $.08.  That has to be a glitch with CNBC, right?

Anyone have any thoughts on when to exit Target?  I'm up 43% and historically it's not a growth type stock and the dividend isn't that great at these prices.  Wait for one more round of stimulus money to flush through the system?

Something like several million shares become unlocked for initial investors to be able to sell
I don’t think it will matter. It’s not a dilution, meaning the company selling more shares to raise capital so these shares are already part of the market capitalization. There may be a temporary reaction but long term these shares were going to be available so it’s a non-issue. If you like them long term then if there’s a dip you can add or just hold.

RLFTF opened at $.35.  It has a day high of $.35.  It is currently $.34.  CNBC shows it having a day low of $.08.  That has to be a glitch with CNBC, right?
Schwab shows a day low of $.07.  Could this have been an off-market trade that the market makers pushed through during market hours instead of waiting until 4:01pm to do it?

Anyone have any thoughts on when to exit Target?  I'm up 43% and historically it's not a growth type stock and the dividend isn't that great at these prices.  Wait for one more round of stimulus money to flush through the system?
Their online growth is what is driving the price. Strong hold.

Schwab shows a day low of $.07.  Could this have been an off-market trade that the market makers pushed through during market hours instead of waiting until 4:01pm to do it?
Looks like a single large sale just after 9:55 ET.  Someone put the decimal in the wrong spot on their sale order?   

Seems like people are saying this was a glitch but I don’t know. Damn. Wish I had a 10 cent order on it. 

Looks like a single large sale just after 9:55 ET.  Someone put the decimal in the wrong spot on their sale order?   
It went to $.0786 at 9:55am ET and it went to exactly $.0786 again at 10:29am ET.  Maybe these were warrants being exercised?

Users who are viewing this thread