What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (11 Viewers)

I haven't seen RIOT mentioned here yet, if it was I missed it.  My dive into the Crypto world lead me to looking at them. 

Seem like as long as crypto is blowing up they seem to be a good investment.  They're a crypto mining company.  
Thanks for this one, got in at 19.75. 

The 65% today is the most I've ever had a single issue rise in a day.  IPOC, D, and F rose in sympathy, as well.  Heck, BTWN even went up 7%.  Now I need to figure out how to play this merger.

That whole action kept me right with the S&P, even with a big slug of long bonds.  Nice day.
I haven't looked too much into their business model yet. I know they were a popular FinTech target (I almost invested in another SPAC that was rumored to have them as a target). They're not truly a bank and seemed to have a done a lot of student loan consolidations. Will have to do some reading this weekend to see if I want to stay in or roll the cash to more SPACs.

I haven't looked too much into their business model yet. I know they were a popular FinTech target (I almost invested in another SPAC that was rumored to have them as a target). They're not truly a bank and seemed to have a done a lot of student loan consolidations. Will have to do some reading this weekend to see if I want to stay in or roll the cash to more SPACs.
And IPOC just changed into CLOV, so now I get to figure out what the hell Clover Health does and if it's worth sticking in.

It's insane.

Obviously wish I hadn't sold part along the way, but what can you do?
Count your money.  TSLA biggest miss ever for me.  Just never saw it and what a missed opportunity.

Did dabble in some BLDP (Todem issue) and SVFAU ('cause Softbank is a paragon of investing acumen...).

Did I miss the boat on this at $83?

only have about $1500 to spend. Looking to do mostly VTSAX, but just add a small amount of single stock holds.

have som AAPL, MSFT, JNJ and DFS (thanks @Todem for DFS)

I think I like holding much better than the quick trade thing, so was looking at SE or Comcast.

Looks like SE has some larger potential though...
Guess you didn't miss the boat at $83?

I think so.

I'm definitely not claiming similar upside but I wonder how many people who were lucky enough to get into Amazon early gave it up for early gains and lost out long term. I know I had bought early, in 2000, then sold when I transferred brokerages. Never bought back in even though I thought it had a nice future (never predicted what it became).

Now I have my Roth in ten companies plus QCLN and SBIO, buy and hold.

Then there's the trading account.  Now in DFS, CYDY, MFA. I've tended to do better with my long term holdings but I'm not trading as often in my trading account as guys here who are doing well.
This is fun. Just noticed this account has doubled since making the move from all ETFs to individual companies plus the couple select ETFs. The worst performers have been Microsoft and Google at 20% and 25%, then Amazon at 35% gains. Obviously time is everything, but I'm really glad to have made the switch. 

I know many of you have done better actively trading, but I'm pretty content with these basically buy and hold companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeremy Grantham blithely articulating that we are in the late-stage of one of the great bubbles of his lifetime. An excellent read. Sorry to be the cold-water guy and as of this moment, I am pretty heavily invested in US equities myself. But he makes a strong case to unwind those positions and get defensive. Bear of a Link

Jeremy Grantham blithely articulating that we are in the late-stage of one of the great bubbles of his lifetime. An excellent read. Sorry to be the cold-water guy and as of this moment, I am pretty heavily invested in US equities myself. But he makes a strong case to unwind those positions and get defensive. Bear of a Link
I was just saying the same to my friend that the market feels very similar to tech bubble.  Everyone making money can’t last forever.

If anyone wants to take it a step further with bitcoin, some of the mining stocks worth keeping an eye on as they should offer leveraged returns on this bull run.

I think we have another 300% to go on btc price. Any short term pullbacks are going to do be from the dwindling number of whales exiting their positions for a profit.  These coins are going to be bought by institutional investors with longer term ambitions.

Square's cash app, paypal, and grayscale alone are gobbling up bitcoin twice as fast as it's being mined.  There is an imminent bitcoin supply crisis looming.

Mining stocks in the order I like them for future gains.

1.  DMGGF

2. HVBTF

3. MARA

4. RIOT

5. EBON

And again, these are all going to be leveraged plays so the best time to jump in is going to be on a pullback.

I expect things to bounce around this range, but once 20k resistance is breached it's going to be off to the races.
This is the post from hooter311 that inspired me to buy DMGGF at .49

I am really enjoying my five flavors of ARK ETF’s.  They are really nailing disruptive technologies.  I don’t know much about Catherine Wood, but they are doing something special.
5 flavors?

I bought this 2 years ago and I love it with all my ❤️

I've been saying that for a while. But I think it will be propped p at least through the stimulus.

They just had too many headwinds with COVID. I don’t think you’ll see much price appreciation anytime soon but it’s a safe dividend. At my stage I decided I was better off looking for growth vs income, though. You might be somewhere else.
Yeah, I think I'm going to move on too as I'd like some growth as well lol.

Tesla up 6.66% which definitely isn’t giving me any pause at all 
I had a theory that I didn't read much support for...maybe a lot of fund managers are adding through the first quarter as opposed to the day it switched over.

Either a lot changed in 3 hours or I'm not playing the same game as y'all. All of my accounts are green. Wife's IRA finally crossed the ¼ Mark.
Market took a hard downturn yesterday when @Capella stepped out for a bit.

Yuge purchase right before the bell

CRM 750,000 @ $221.89

$166M
Well that's interesting and not a small chunk of change.  Someone thinks they know something.

I’m out of relief but may buy back in. If they merge, how does that affect the stock price?
I suspect it will either go up or down.

Guess you didn't miss the boat at $83?

This is fun. Just noticed this account has doubled since making the move from all ETFs to individual companies plus the couple select ETFs. The worst performers have been Microsoft and Google at 20% and 25%, then Amazon at 35% gains. Obviously time is everything, but I'm really glad to have made the switch. 

I know many of you have done better actively trading, but I'm pretty content with these basically buy and hold companies.
No sir, I did not. Of course I regret not going all in on SE, but will be grateful for what we did get.

I missed out on a lot of stuff and wish now I had invested more in the single companies like you did with this account you listed above, but I also believe you view this account as not your bread and butter with your main accounts still being along the Total Stock type funds, or am I mistaken?

Also, curious what are your current single holdings now if you don't mind me asking?

Not counting VTSAX (our highest holding by far), right now our holdings in single companies guesstimate % are:

AAPL- 40%

SE- 20%

MSFT- 15%

JNJ- 8%

EXC- 6%

XOM- 6%

BLDP- 2%

TSN- 2%

INTC- 1%

BABA- minimal

CRSP- minimal

ZOM- minimal

I'm going to look to possibly add positions in FUBO, DKNG, CLDR, CHWY, but not sure if these are long term holds or stuff that I'm gonna need to go BNB on all the time lol

I’m out of relief but may buy back in. If they merge, how does that affect the stock price?
On the message boards, people often talk about RLFTF being bought out by BRPA for $1 a share.  But this slide from next week's presentation at the Biotech Showcase just says "existing plans to up-list near-term to the Nasdaq in the U.S."  That sounds like they could do what HGEN did and do a reverse split leading into a Nasdaq uplisting to commence 5 trading days after the reverse split.  HGEN stock did poorly after that announcement but HGEN also had a stock offering at the same time and the terms of the stock offering had provisions that hurt the stock price.  It's hard to know whether the reverse split or the stock offering had the bigger impact on HGEN's lower stock price.  Here is the entire slideshow from next week's RLFTF presentation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fbg7lgyu7cb70b/Biotech Showcase Presentation.docx?dl=0  

Got an interesting question for those with TSLA, and I don’t want to be morbid or anything, but it is the ONE thing that has kept me from buying in:

Could TSLA survive if Elon Musk walked away or died tomorrow?

I think about this like I think about buying an Andrew Luck rookie card, and my mind just can’t get by that thought.

Is TSLA an investment in a future thinking car company, or is it because it is led by one of the greatest minds of our time?

I also believe you view this account as not your bread and butter with your main accounts still being along the Total Stock type funds, or am I mistaken?

Also, curious what are your current single holdings now if you don't mind me asking?
Right. TSP and the wife's Roth IRA are all broad market funds and cover about 75% of our portfolio.

My largest single company right now, by a significant amount, is SE. 

others with some significance: Amazon, omega health (REIT), Tesla, Toyota, Disney, discover, teledoc, home depot, Google, Microsoft, wolverine, Visa, Alibaba 

Some with a small amount: KOPN, Verizon, Caterpillar, westlake chemical, RLFTF  

Yep - 5 different sector ETF’S, and they are all doing quite well.

ARKK - Disruptive technology 

ARKQ - Technology and robotics

ARKW - Next generation internet

ARKG - Genomic evolution 

ARKF - FinTech
So my biggest issue is K/Q/W's largest holding is Tesla which I already own a ton of (now) after it got added to the S&P. I've added some G though.

I'm going to do a little reshuffling this week. I'm way too concentrated. I don't mind being concentrated but it's a little ridiculous. I shaved 5% off FVRR and ETSY, and 12.5% off of FLGT the day before the pullback (dumb luck but that thing was flying too close to the sun) and started ALSN in a traditional IRA I don't put money in anymore. There I have what I just mentioned plus a large AAPL stake I likely won't touch. My strategy there has been to take gains whenever I can take enough to start a new position while maintaining the core. There's less movement in this account and I noticed it has outperformed my ROTH probably because of that. 

My ROTH I have a ridiculous amount of SE. I'm not selling. This is where I have SQ, IMMR, NNOX, a couple SPACs, and AAXN. I'm pretty ok with allocations here but I need to stop handling it so much. Maybe dump the SPACs and add another value name with a divvy. SQ might need a haircut, it's number two beneath SE after the latest run. 

G/F has LMND, DKNG, and a starter in BLDP (excited about this one,  thanks @Todem ) in her SEP which was opened recently. LMND might need a haircut otherwise we're good. This is the only account she'll be adding to.

Her old traditional IRA has CRWD, MSFT, U, and DOCU. CRWD and U have gone crazy so this might be an opportunity to trim and add a little value. Old ROTH only had enough to get PINS, which is nearly a double. When/if that happens, I'm taking out the initial investment and adding something else. 

My 401K and HSA are your basic mutual funds. I added emerging markets several months back and that's been working well. 

Not sure why I typed all that here but I think it helped to write it out! Just feeling a little more defensive but not too defensive. I like my growth names enough to bounce back if we take a beating. Just feel like now is a good time to tap the breaks a little and add some boring names.

So my biggest issue is K/Q/W's largest holding is Tesla which I already own a ton of (now) after it got added to the S&P. I've added some G though.
They did a lot of selling of Tesla this week. Of course they missed out on the 6% pop yesterday so even ARK isn’t perfect. I doubt Cathey lost any sleep last night

ARKG - Genomic evolution 

ARKF - FinTech
Ok gotcha, I have ARKW. Is there one that has more long term potential than the others?

-OZ- said:
Right. TSP and the wife's Roth IRA are all broad market funds and cover about 75% of our portfolio.

My largest single company right now, by a significant amount, is SE. 

others with some significance: Amazon, omega health (REIT), Tesla, Toyota, Disney, discover, teledoc, home depot, Google, Microsoft, wolverine, Visa, Alibaba 

Some with a small amount: KOPN, Verizon, Caterpillar, westlake chemical, RLFTF  
Thanks OZ!

I regret passing on DIS and TGT when they were in the low 100 range. I also got in on DFS at 38 and like a rookie sold at 50. I really don't like the day trading thing too much as I never know when to get out.

Having only done this since late April I still don't get the getting out of good companies thing and when to do it if ever. I know Todem had made a good post about when a position doubles you may want to take some of that to start a new position, but other than that if you are getting out of good companies isn't that trying to time the market?

I have not been good at that in my brief time as we are still at 20% cash which if had been put into VTSAX at the time probably would have given us another 15 grand right now 😞

McBokonon said:
I'm going to do a little reshuffling this week. I'm way too concentrated. I don't mind being concentrated but it's a little ridiculous. I shaved 5% off FVRR and ETSY, and 12.5% off of FLGT the day before the pullback (dumb luck but that thing was flying too close to the sun) and started ALSN in a traditional IRA I don't put money in anymore. There I have what I just mentioned plus a large AAPL stake I likely won't touch. My strategy there has been to take gains whenever I can take enough to start a new position while maintaining the core. There's less movement in this account and I noticed it has outperformed my ROTH probably because of that. 

My ROTH I have a ridiculous amount of SE. I'm not selling. This is where I have SQ, IMMR, NNOX, a couple SPACs, and AAXN. I'm pretty ok with allocations here but I need to stop handling it so much. Maybe dump the SPACs and add another value name with a divvy. SQ might need a haircut, it's number two beneath SE after the latest run. 

G/F has LMND, DKNG, and a starter in BLDP (excited about this one,  thanks @Todem ) in her SEP which was opened recently. LMND might need a haircut otherwise we're good. This is the only account she'll be adding to.

Her old traditional IRA has CRWD, MSFT, U, and DOCU. CRWD and U have gone crazy so this might be an opportunity to trim and add a little value. Old ROTH only had enough to get PINS, which is nearly a double. When/if that happens, I'm taking out the initial investment and adding something else. 

My 401K and HSA are your basic mutual funds. I added emerging markets several months back and that's been working well. 

Not sure why I typed all that here but I think it helped to write it out! Just feeling a little more defensive but not too defensive. I like my growth names enough to bounce back if we take a beating. Just feel like now is a good time to tap the breaks a little and add some boring names.
Thanks for posting McB. That's what I am wondering about you guys with what you believe to be good companies are doing? If we are in this bubble waiting to burst I guess the plan is to stay the storm and keep adding on the low instead of trying to sell and time it to get back in?

Thanks for posting McB. That's what I am wondering about you guys with what you believe to be good companies are doing? If we are in this bubble waiting to burst I guess the plan is to stay the storm and keep adding on the low instead of trying to sell and time it to get back in?
That's what I'm doing. I have decades before I retire. If I was close to retirement I wouldn't even be in most of these names to begin with. 

Thanks OZ!

I regret passing on DIS and TGT when they were in the low 100 range. I also got in on DFS at 38 and like a rookie sold at 50. I really don't like the day trading thing too much as I never know when to get out.

Having only done this since late April I still don't get the getting out of good companies thing and when to do it if ever. I know Todem had made a good post about when a position doubles you may want to take some of that to start a new position, but other than that if you are getting out of good companies isn't that trying to time the market?

I have not been good at that in my brief time as we are still at 20% cash which if had been put into VTSAX at the time probably would have given us another 15 grand right now 😞

There's different strokes for sure. 

I try (and don't always succeed) to just think of the individual companies as a collection. It's nice to see them rise for sure, but I'm mostly just buying companies I like, and buy more if they're on sale. Without a doubt most will fall at some point. And we're well beyond the level I thought they'd stall at. But I'll just keep collecting. 

It helps that the individual companies won't break us if they fall.

BassNBrew said:
They did a lot of selling of Tesla this week. Of course they missed out on the 6% pop yesterday so even ARK isn’t perfect. I doubt Cathey lost any sleep last night
The holdings were updated yesterday and they're still at like 10% Tesla 🤷🏼‍♂️

lakerstan said:
I am really enjoying my five flavors of ARK ETF’s.  They are really nailing disruptive technologies.  I don’t know much about Catherine Wood, but they are doing something special.
You should listen to some of her interviews on youtube. There is wealth of information out there right on youtube and podcasts.

lakerstan said:
Got an interesting question for those with TSLA, and I don’t want to be morbid or anything, but it is the ONE thing that has kept me from buying in:

I think about this like I think about buying an Andrew Luck rookie card, and my mind just can’t get by that thought.

Is TSLA an investment in a future thinking car company, or is it because it is led by one of the greatest minds of our time?
I dunno, he seems pretty connected to every single thing they do. 

pecorino said:
Another more measurable feature of a late-stage bull, from the South Sea bubble to the Tech bubble of 1999, has been an acceleration3 of the final leg, which in recent cases has been over 60% in the last 21 months to the peak, a rate well over twice the normal rate of bull market ascents. This time, the U.S. indices have advanced from +69% for the S&P 500 to +100% for the Russell 2000 in just 9 months
I'm fine with selling the bear perspective, but don't be disingenuous and cherry pick data.  You can't claim a bull market from 2112 to the present and ignore the bear market of 2020 in the middle.  You can't count the the gains from NASDAQ 7000-10000 twice.

lakerstan said:

I've been thinking about this too.  I think a lot depends on who they have in their succession plan and if it'll be similar to Apple in the 80s when Jobs left or Apple in the '10s when Cook carried the torch.  My current feeling is I just gotta ride the wave.  I might not sell at the top but i'm up so much I'll still almost certainly book a profit.

$SE

Sea Group is hiring in Indonesia for digital banking push after possible acquisition

In early December, Sea Group, the parent company of Shopee, was granted a digital full-banking license in Singapore, along with a Grab-Singtel consortium, in a move that is expected to open up the financial industry in the city-state.

Besides Singapore, Indonesia—Southeast Asia’s largest economy—is also a red hot market for fintech and digital banking. KrASIA has learnt that Sea Group likely acquired a local lender in the country to establish its own banking business. According to Shopee’s careers website, the company is currently hiring a local team to be placed at “SeaMoney Bank” in Jakarta and Bandung, covering roles that include talent management, tax, and funding relations management.
:drive:

lakerstan said:

ARKG - Genomic evolution 

ARKF - FinTech
It's nice to see this forum up on the ARKs...it only took about 2 years.

It's nice to see this forum up on the ARKs...it only took about 2 years.
I freely admit I am late to the party.  I really don’t read many financial articles, but a video about ARK/Cathie Wood popped up in my list of YouTube videos one day and I started reading more about them.  So I totally stumbled onto them and owe much more to luck than skill.

Users who are viewing this thread