What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (20 Viewers)

i think itll be over 30 by 2/19
Nice. Bought it 3 times (up to 450 shares) as it kept going down months ago and watched it hit $28 and go almost back to my cost and back up again. I think it’ll be a successful long term stock but if I can get out of it with a double+ at $30 by June, I’ll probably sell and move the money.

yea apparently someone paid them $299 to slip that into netflix.. Thats all it takes?!?!  We need a CYDY slip on some House episode.    I did read theyre expecting some yuge new product/results out in march so its muy interesante 
I don’t want to say yes, but I tend to take a quick look at a lot of these recommendations and don’t come away feeling great about the companies. Short term money to be made but it does make me worry more about a 2000 repeat. Everything is making money and not just good returns, crazy returns. And half the news I read is for a company getting an extension on a delisting. Since when is that some great stock mover? My worry is that any downturn could be magnified and that people are leveraged into some of these quick money stocks.

March came about because COVID scared people and here we are a year later not really doing better economically and we’ve blown past March like it didn’t happen and it was a trampoline. I’m not saying I didn’t take advantage but if I (and others) were worried back in the Fall, ooh wee it feels like a tight rope. I don’t want to lose those gains but it’s hard to unwind positions you want to keep for 5+ years.

Oh well, been another nice day so the sun is still shining!

If we were able to pick the biggest companies we thought would be worthless in 5 years, this one would be my bet. By the end of this year, I think food deliveries will drop a bunch and every restaurant you know will have curbside delivery through any of the millions of web sites that offer that. I could see companies like Shopify that provide merchants with web sites to add a few options and host restaurant web sites. It would be a piece of cake.

Maybe people like their food delivered by random people and how it tastes not so fresh and pay way more than regular prices, but I don’t. Even in the pandemic I’ve had no problem with curbside pickup or drive throughs. After the pandemic, not paying a bunch extra is probably going to be on a lot of folks minds.

If DASH can’t be profitable this year then I can’t see it being profitable later. The IPO raised a ton of cash so they have a long time to go but man I don’t see the success. Heck, I’d think an Uber or Tesla with autonomous vehicles would crush it. That said, most bigger restaurants could probably just afford a Prius Delivery EV in a few years and have delivery done with no extra man power. If autonomous vehicles can scan the roads how hard would it be to scan a confirmation barcode to open a door or drawer with the food in it.

I feel like I am giving away too many good ideas now. Anyone want to start a food delivery web site with autonomous vehicles and crush DASH to a pulp?
We actually used it (as well as instacart for groceries) quite a bit early in the pandemic and got kind of hooked.  It is pretty convenient.  Although to be fair we ended up ditching doordash for grubhub which we found to be much more reliable (and has 1/10th the market cap for some reason).

Regardless even if we liked using it I agree with the meat of your post.  The margins just aren't there.  If they couldn't make good money during a pandemic that forced millions of people into using them, when will they?  It's an absurd valuation and they have virtually no moat.

We think Lucid Motors is priced in to CCIV yet?

I am thinking it will get another pop if/when it is made official.  Seems like pretty good risk/reward to me.  I could see 20+ on the official announcement and the downside is $10 if it turns out not to be true.

I don’t want to say yes, but I tend to take a quick look at a lot of these recommendations and don’t come away feeling great about the companies. Short term money to be made but it does make me worry more about a 2000 repeat. Everything is making money and not just good returns, crazy returns. And half the news I read is for a company getting an extension on a delisting. Since when is that some great stock mover? My worry is that any downturn could be magnified and that people are leveraged into some of these quick money stocks.

March came about because COVID scared people and here we are a year later not really doing better economically and we’ve blown past March like it didn’t happen and it was a trampoline. I’m not saying I didn’t take advantage but if I (and others) were worried back in the Fall, ooh wee it feels like a tight rope. I don’t want to lose those gains but it’s hard to unwind positions you want to keep for 5+ years.

Oh well, been another nice day so the sun is still shining!
Yeah this market is absolutely insane. I just know that I'm not great at timing it so I'll continue to add companies I like and dollar cost average with 401k/IRA contributions. This article was interesting though, never considered borrowing against my 401k to buy more stocks. Kinda wish I had done that in March lol. 

https://www.investopedia.com/margin-debt-reaches-new-high-5093761

So, FLGT was supposed to be a l-t play, but it is up 30% in about 2 weeks.

iirc, @McBokonon and a few others are in it. Everybody holding?
Since I picked it in the stock contest, I'm obligated to hold and buy more on dips. It's still a really small cap company ($1.7B market cap) in a large and fast growing medical testing industry. Very volatile though. Trading it could make sense too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Banks and Energy just crushed it for me to today, but they're also my largest holdings.  Quite a few other winners and then ATCT was the massive cherry on top.  

I'm still like 35% cash too.  
Those are my biggest holdings too....with several cherries on the top today.

I've opened up a new brokerage account to fund with excess cash but haven't bought anything in it yet. We should be selling our rental soon which will free a lot of cash to buy stonks that internet strangers talk about.

What are some of your favorite FinTwit follows?
Hard to single out a few - I have 237 people on the list so far and it's more of a community where they all sort of get along and work together. Some have podcasts, some are pure traders, some are peddling newsletters, etc. but they all offer something.

I exported my list to this google doc.

Maybe you can just copy/paste that into your own list and follow along for awhile. On Fridays a lot of them share other names to follow.

Also ACTC 🙂
:wall:   I only had limited liquid cash to buy yesterday so I only was able to get a small position.  ####### Fidelity has had my cash from an Ally bank transfer for 6 ####### biz days now and it's still not settled. How is this possible???!!!

Yeah this market is absolutely insane. I just know that I'm not great at timing it so I'll continue to add companies I like and dollar cost average with 401k/IRA contributions. This article was interesting though, never considered borrowing against my 401k to buy more stocks. Kinda wish I had done that in March lol. 

https://www.investopedia.com/margin-debt-reaches-new-high-5093761
I didn’t buy as much as I should have in March but stuff like this makes big drops worse.

When a DOCU press release about a new $500M revolving credit facility and selling $500M in notes to payoff existing notes adds $4B to your market cap you get a feeling that people are just buying any press release whether they get it or not. Basically, DOCU is paying off debt with new debt and setting up a debt facility that allows them to get a future loan without having to apply for it. That couldn’t be any more day to day operations and your market cap goes up 9%? Frothy as #### and I’m riding the froth right now but spoons don’t float on the froth too long!

We think Lucid Motors is priced in to CCIV yet?

I am thinking it will get another pop if/when it is made official.  Seems like pretty good risk/reward to me.  I could see 20+ on the official announcement and the downside is $10 if it turns out not to be true.
That was kinda my thinking too, but what do I know

CCIV $14.91 average for me.

stbugs said:
I didn’t buy as much as I should have in March but stuff like this makes big drops worse.

When a DOCU press release about a new $500M revolving credit facility and selling $500M in notes to payoff existing notes adds $4B to your market cap you get a feeling that people are just buying any press release whether they get it or not. Basically, DOCU is paying off debt with new debt and setting up a debt facility that allows them to get a future loan without having to apply for it. That couldn’t be any more day to day operations and your market cap goes up 9%? Frothy as #### and I’m riding the froth right now but spoons don’t float on the froth too long!
Are you selling stuff to build cash or just adding more when you can afford it to prepare for the drop?

I've kept too much cash during all of this because I was expecting another drop. Now even if the S&P drops 20% it'll still cost me more than it would have in June lol. 

Are you selling stuff to build cash or just adding more when you can afford it to prepare for the drop?

I've kept too much cash during all of this because I was expecting another drop. Now even if the S&P drops 20% it'll still cost me more than it would have in June lol. 
A big Amen to that 😞

Anyone besides me following Canoo / GOEV?

Huge after hours jump

CANOO INC (GOEV)
PREVIOUS CLOSE 16.72 
 -0.33 (-1.9355%)

AFTER-HOURS
Last   21.48

4.76 (28.47%)
Bid    21.40 x 6    ARCX
Ask    21.50 x 39    ARCX

Sorry I sold off a lot a week or two ago, but glad I kept a small position

I do have a 401k (wife’s old one) rolling over so that will double my cash. I’m at about 5% cash otherwise. It’s 10% in taxable so honestly more than enough to  any cash emergency needs for months if not more. That said, it’s hard to add at these prices and I feel like I should trim to be prepared. I really havent done much of either. Probably more little adds even in December. I’ve been pretty decent on cash. Could have been even better off if I shoved in March but bought a decent amount and started all my 5G stuff at the beginning of June which honestly was still a great time to buy.

I know I won’t time it right and maybe it never happens. I wouldn’t even mind some sideways stuff for a while to build up more capital before the next run up. It does feel like we are getting new signs every day now of how crazy prices are now.

He's holding Amazon which is basically cash.

A Handful of Penny Stocks Just Made Up a Fifth of U.S. Volume
 Six companies made up almost one-fifth of trading Monday
 Most share volume is off-exchange for the first time ever

While it’s not unheard of to see a microcap like pet-medicine maker Zomedica Corp. top the most-active list with a billion shares traded, as it did Monday, it is notable when it and five other companies selling for less than $1 make up almost a fifth of overall volume. That also occurred yesterday,

Might be paywalled

A Handful of Penny Stocks Just Made Up a Fifth of U.S. Volume
 Six companies made up almost one-fifth of trading Monday
 Most share volume is off-exchange for the first time ever

While it’s not unheard of to see a microcap like pet-medicine maker Zomedica Corp. top the most-active list with a billion shares traded, as it did Monday, it is notable when it and five other companies selling for less than $1 make up almost a fifth of overall volume. That also occurred yesterday,

Might be paywalled
My spidysense is telling me to grab some ZOM gains tomorrow and wait to rebuy. I trust the FBG recommendation long term but there may be too much attention on it right now. 

65 stocks in the MIL account acquired since mid Sept.

5 worst performers - AMZN, DIS, CRM, RLFTF, and UUUU

2x or better - CBBT, FLGT, LAZR, NNOX

50% or better return - BLDP, C, CYDY, HGEN, JPM, SE (almost), WFC

65 stocks in the MIL account acquired since mid Sept.

5 worst performers - AMZN, DIS, CRM, RLFTF, and UUUU

2x or better - CBBT, FLGT, LAZR, NNOX

50% or better return - BLDP, C, CYDY, HGEN, JPM, SE (almost), WFC
UUUU a bit of a buzz kill for me so far.  

UUUU a bit of a buzz kill for me so far.  
Yeah. 

That’s one of those that will frustrate me, so when it finally gets back to green I sell it, only for it to go up another 450% for the rest of the year.

I’m holding. In chet I trust.

Trimmed a little FVRR, ETSY, and FLGT after hours. They’re all in the same IRA I don’t contribute to anymore - have enough to start a new position but if we have a bloody day I might just buy them back again. Have done this a few times, never touch my core holding. Today was just such a ripper.

Well sure when looking at volume it makes sense that cheaper stocks have more shares traded.  If 99 people spend $1000 on Disney and one person spends $1000 on SNDL, then SNDL had more volume.

There are also more day traders going in and out of penny stocks (in huge numbers) several times a day.  I would be surprised if sub-$1 stocks being among the most traded wasn't normal, but I don't know where the data is to check that.

stbugs said:

I'm up 20% on DOCU in a week.  Added it as a long term hold.  Hard not to sell.  I really wish these would just go up 0.25% a day so I can set it and forget it.  Ultimately I'll trim some and then read a suggestion that I like.  That's how I end up with so many stocks.

I'm up 20% on DOCU in a week.  Added it as a long term hold.  Hard not to sell.  I really wish these would just go up 0.25% a day so I can set it and forget it.  Ultimately I'll trim some and then read a suggestion that I like.  That's how I end up with so many stocks.
1st world problems

Users who are viewing this thread