What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (12 Viewers)

Thoughts on how far this may climb? Couldn’t buy it on Fidelity but have my Schaub account open now.
I think I'm going to hold this one. They haven't sent out a press release yet for the acquisition, so I would think there will be a bump there in the next couple weeks.

After that, not sure.  PKG actually manufactures products and has some revenue, plus CBBT has an Alzheimers device they are working on. 

ARKK 01/13/2021 Buy SE SEA LTD 245,558

SE is in ARKF too but not seeing any additional buys there

Last edited by a moderator:
We could run another 20% by then between earning season and stimulus.  
Crazy. My largest account is up 10% in January. That’s on top of the awesome 2020 return and that’s also without hitting on any of these crazy stocks. It’s why it’s so hard to trim until it’s probably too late.

I might have exceeded my stated maximum exposure here. 

:shrug:  I'll allow it.
Wish I bought more and way earlier. MF recommended them around $30 or $40 but I didn’t buy because it wasn’t in the “portfolios” I had just in the general SA or RB. Bought 30 when it went back down to $180. Should have just doubled it and made it a full position. Did the same with SQ at $150. Didn’t buy a full position but wish I did right there. Didn’t expect this to keep rolling but it has.

Wish I bought more and way earlier. MF recommended them around $30 or $40 but I didn’t buy because it wasn’t in the “portfolios” I had just in the general SA or RB. Bought 30 when it went back down to $180. Should have just doubled it and made it a full position. Did the same with SQ at $150. Didn’t buy a full position but wish I did right there. Didn’t expect this to keep rolling but it has.
Totally get that. I mean, in hindsight I wish I had put everything in Tesla, SE, NIO, etc. But that's not my style. I try to keep things 80% broad market, 20% selected sectors and individual stocks, no more than 5% in any one stock. I'm over the 5% and 20% rules now. But don't want to sell SE.

Crazy. My largest account is up 10% in January. That’s on top of the awesome 2020 return and that’s also without hitting on any of these crazy stocks. It’s why it’s so hard to trim until it’s probably too late.
10.2% at the moment.  Pretty amazing considering the boat anchor we are lugging around.  I now consider owning amazon like fighting with one arm tied behind your back.  Guess we have to leave some meat for the rest of the market.  

I would have taken 10% for for the year after a double up last year last year.  Tempting to sell everything, go to cash, and call it a successful year.

I sold my GBTC this morning for a 11% profit in 2-3 days.  I'm selling SE in 2 share increments every $5 or so.  Still haven't sold off all I bought on the last dip.  

Totally get that. I mean, in hindsight I wish I had put everything in Tesla, SE, NIO, etc. But that's not my style. I try to keep things 80% broad market, 20% selected sectors and individual stocks, no more than 5% in any one stock. I'm over the 5% and 20% rules now. But don't want to sell SE.
Why do you want to do this?  It's like saying I want to own bad stocks (or amazon) to offset my good stock picks.  

Why do you want to do this?  It's like saying I want to own bad stocks (or amazon) to offset my good stock picks.  
It has a lot more to do with my belief, backed by research, that most of us won't beat the market over the long haul. 

It's fun to try, but I'm not stressed about it when it's not going to make a huge difference long term. I figure this 20% is basically going to be the difference between traveling to gulf shores or HHI every winter vs Cancun, new Zealand, etc. 

10.2% at the moment.  Pretty amazing considering the boat anchor we are lugging around.  I now consider owning amazon like fighting with one arm tied behind your back.  Guess we have to leave some meat for the rest of the market.  

I would have taken 10% for for the year after a double up last year last year.  Tempting to sell everything, go to cash, and call it a successful year.

I sold my GBTC this morning for a 11% profit in 2-3 days.  I'm selling SE in 2 share increments every $5 or so.  Still haven't sold off all I bought on the last dip.  
I already stated my goal was to double what I had at the end of the year in 5 years. That’s about 14% a year. A high mark, but that was my 10 year goal until last year happened. I am torn between protecting the gains and telling myself not to give up a potential “year” of the goal.

I’m not overly rigid but for our individual stocks, I try to stay in the 4-6% range. $SE is at 12.27% as I type this and I want to add more. It’s all I can do not to. 

I wake up every morning telling myself the market is inflated and I need to sell.  But then my account just keeps going up and I don’t.
I've been trimming and taking profits but still have a lot in play.  Not that I don't think we're in a bubble or at some point we have to get a closer to earth.  It's just there is so much money out there.  Stimulus all over the world and maybe more coming.  Gotta put it somewhere.   

This is a horrible decision for most companies. Though neither the company nor the bank are US-based, so probably not the same regulatory headache.
Fair point. I don't know how I'd feel about Amazon buying a bank. 

But for SE, I think it makes sense given their business.

Overall? Wow. Solid day for me. Been like 1% gains every day on average. Seems mellow but I’d take that every day. 
Just in my main trading account. Don’t look at my funds till the end of the day. They should be up pretty good. 

-OZ- said:
Fair point. I don't know how I'd feel about Amazon buying a bank. 

But for SE, I think it makes sense given their business.
Really, it's just the regulatory issues that cause me to say that. They likely will not have the same experience they would have in the US, so it probably is a net positive for them. In the US, regulators would use the bank as an excuse to dig into every other part of the company, no matter how insulated the bank is from everything else.

"Oh, you make cars and you own a bank? We're going to have to take a look at the auto manufacturer's labor agreements, pension funding, every detail of your EV credit program, that redesign you did of the '20 sports car, and the results of your executive team's latest colonoscopies."

Just in my main trading account. Don’t look at my funds till the end of the day. They should be up pretty good. 
I almost don’t even bother looking at our 401ks. I like the funds but our contributions are bigger than the returns at this point as I’ve rolled over everything aside from our current 3-4 year ones into my trading accounts.

I almost don’t even bother looking at our 401ks. I like the funds but our contributions are bigger than the returns at this point as I’ve rolled over everything aside from our current 3-4 year ones into my trading accounts.
Mine did +26% last year and 20% the year before - pretty pleased despite my big trading fund doing way better. This I can just set it and forget it. 

-OZ- said:
It has a lot more to do with my belief, backed by research, that most of us won't beat the market over the long haul. 

It's fun to try, but I'm not stressed about it when it's not going to make a huge difference long term. I figure this 20% is basically going to be the difference between traveling to gulf shores or HHI every winter vs Cancun, new Zealand, etc. 
Did the research include the FBG FFA?  If not, it's flawed.

BassNBrew said:
Another convert.

One of the last remaining stalwarts has fallen Mr. Bezos.  Would you please tender your resignation if you are going to continue to lolly gag and loaf.
He should buy the country a round of vaccinations and distribute them through Amazon. We'd be at herd immunity by Valentines day

UVXY Year range $10 -$135. 

Today's price 10.16

Just saying there a good reason its far and away my largest holding.

Mine did +26% last year and 20% the year before - pretty pleased despite my big trading fund doing way better. This I can just set it and forget it. 
That's one kind of nice thing about keeping my military TSP in place. With no contributions I can see a real return. 20% last year, 22% in 2019. 

I arguably have too much international in that account. 

That's one kind of nice thing about keeping my military TSP in place. With no contributions I can see a real return. 20% last year, 22% in 2019. 

I arguably have too much international in that account. 
Oh yea I dumped that one. C and S all the way baybeeeeeeee

So you think the bubble is just going to get bigger and never deflate? 
That's a difficult question.  Can the Fed un-pump the economy?  Biden is going to flood us with stimulus and companies will likely crush expectations this earnings season.  COVID has helped many companies in the market at the expense of mom and pop.  Wall Street isn't in a recession.

Also the are sectors that aren't in a bubble.  Plenty of stocks no where near there ATHs yielding great dividends.  My MIL is tired of her savings account yielding a cup of coffee.  Plenty of solid companies offering 3-8% trading at PEs 8-15.  Outside of COVID, do you feel bad about where our economy is?

I agree that Telsa and many of the high fliers will pop and get hammered once it becomes obvious the profits don't support the price.  90% of these SPACs will likely go belly up.

That's a difficult question.  Can the Fed un-pump the economy?  Biden is going to flood us with stimulus and companies will likely crush expectations this earnings season.  COVID has helped many companies in the market at the expense of mom and pop.  Wall Street isn't in a recession.

Also the are sectors that aren't in a bubble.  Plenty of stocks no where near there ATHs yielding great dividends.  My MIL is tired of her savings account yielding a cup of coffee.  Plenty of solid companies offering 3-8% trading at PEs 8-15.  Outside of COVID, do you feel bad about where our economy is?

I agree that Telsa and many of the high fliers will pop and get hammered once it becomes obvious the profits don't support the price.  90% of these SPACs will likely go belly up.
What are your top 5?

Its design to reflect 2X the VIX. Here's a one year VIX chart. VIX typically represents fear and uncertainty in the market. I agree with Todem that we are peaking with irrational exuberance at this point. While cash is a safer hedge for keeping your money, my play will actually make a lot of money when there is a correction.
I am obliged to remind everyone that this is a very risky volatile stock. But with all the penny stock and SPAC action in here, I assume that you all mostly are comfortable with that.

Its design to reflect 2X the VIX. Here's a one year VIX chart. VIX typically represents fear and uncertainty in the market. I agree with Todem that we are peaking with irrational exuberance at this point. While cash is a safer hedge for keeping your money, my play will actually make a lot of money when there is a correction.
Thank you. When you mentioned it was your largest holding it got my interest piqued. 

I'm much more a novice to all this, have used trading over the years as a gambling fix, but kept majority of money in big boys and following the Todem rule of pulling out winnings on speculative bets to buy more of the "safe plays". With this past year though the play area has gotten significant.

This does seem like a nice hedge to this madness (when I say hedge I mean closer to throwing out a fire bet on the craps table). Going to throw a couple ducketts this way. 

Users who are viewing this thread