What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (10 Viewers)

Almost everything I have is either up or down at least 3%.
Yeah, volatility like crazy. Down the past two days but after the ups last week, no worries. Every single month there’s been dips on a lot of my more tech related stocks, like clockwork since April. Wish I trimmed more last week as I don’t have a good feeling that things will end well.

$MSFT rewarding my decision to hang in there after hours. 
Yepper. Just saw that. Amazon up nicely in sympathy and all my tech stocks appear to be bouncing as well. I think we’ll see them once again trounce earnings and while these “bad” companies with short squeezing are getting the headlines there’s a clear sight line to the companies that are fundamentally strong.

Thank you for posting this as I would have missed this today.  Sold at $211 12 days ago and bought back today at $169.  Looks like I'm back in with the longs.  Go Crisper!
Yup, he timed that call perfectly but I couldn't pull the trigger.

Got a list?  I'll drop the ones I'm in:

IPODU, IPOEU, IPOFU, BTWN, SVFAU, NGABU, DHHCU.  IPOC became CLOV and it's up about 40% for me, as well.

Also, does anyone know of a good article on the warrant part of all these?  I need to figure out if I want to split those out at some point or if the units are priced appropriately compared to the common.
DHHCU

ENVIU

CFIVU

SNPR

IPOF

ACTC

BTWN

GRAMF

NGABU

QELLU

VTIQU

DPHC (now RIDE, the only one I've ridden through acquisition so far)

All of them but NGABU ($11.67) and DPHC ($12.13) I got in at $11.12 or lower

The epic reddit WSB guy was up to a $22M portfolio of GME at close... that's an M.
His cost basis was like $15 and he's held for a while, so he was way, way down for a while.  I think GME bottomed at $6 or so in March.  So he definitely rode it down and now way back up.  Huge bet, too, like a 750k bet on the whole.

Balls of steel, that dude.

Isn’t there an agency like the SEC that should be on this? Seems illegal but then again it’s the age of social media. How do you stop it?

His cost basis was like $15 and he's held for a while, so he was way, way down for a while.  I think GME bottomed at $6 or so in March.  So he definitely rode it down and now way back up.  Huge bet, too, like a 750k bet on the whole.

Balls of steel, that dude.

He started with $53k. The current holdings cost basis is $750k because he bought and sold a lot along the way. Sitting on 4.8mil in cash he's already taken off the table.

Those 800 April 16 call $12 were worth $10.6mil at close, now $17mil at an after-hours price of $225. He's got another $11.25mil in shares. The $53k is now up to $33mil total at the after hours price of $225..

Isn’t there an agency like the SEC that should be on this? Seems illegal but then again it’s the age of social media. How do you stop it?
Stop what? A bunch of guys are publicly pointing out that a stock is 130% shorted, and the shorts have to buy shares by Friday to cover, so one could make money if everyone bought and held and forced the shorts to pay $200 for a stock they borrowed at $8. There's nothing illegal, unethical, or even the slightest bit shady going on.

They're doing for the longs what Citron and all the pump-and-dumps do against the longs. How many of these funds make their money by taking a position in a stock, then releasing something on Twitter for/against, wait for the news bots to spray it all over the place, and then take profit when the average joes pile in or flee?

Stop what? A bunch of guys are publicly pointing out that a stock is 130% shorted, and the shorts have to buy shares by Friday to cover, so one could make money if everyone bought and held and forced the shorts to pay $200 for a stock they borrowed at $8. There's nothing illegal, unethical, or even the slightest bit shady going on.

They're doing for the longs what Citron and all the pump-and-dumps do against the longs. How many of these funds make their money by taking a position in a stock, then releasing something on Twitter for/against, wait for the news bots to spray it all over the place, and then take profit when the average joes pile in or flee?
Pssst.....if you know some of those guys can you...umm.....have them do us a solid on the shorts that manipulated CYDY earlier this year......you know.....just have them get CYDY up to a hundred bucks or so......you know.....to teach them shorts a lesson....thanks in advance....

Pssst.....if you know some of those guys can you...umm.....have them do us a solid on the shorts that manipulated CYDY earlier this year......you know.....just have them get CYDY up to a hundred bucks or so......you know.....to teach them shorts a lesson....thanks in advance....
Or at least they could post on this forum the next ticker they plan to manipulate.

They're all using Robinhood, so they can't do anything with CYDY until it's uplisted.

Or at least they could post on this forum the next ticker they plan to manipulate.
They're not planning to manipulate anything.

And it's not coordinated, there's a hundred thousand users posting all their crazy bets. All in on Apple, Tesla, Plug, Blackberry... guys just hoping to get attention for having the craziest pick and putting everything they have into one stock ticker on an all-or-nothing, "I'll eat beans and live in a cardboard box for the rest of my life if this doesn't work" wager.

Most of them go broke. Most of them are using options way out of the money and hoping a surprise earnings call or other unexpected event will be their jackpot, and will be worth $0 if not. Trying to follow any of them is madness.

Just so happened that one of these guys, who started in Sept 2019 with the thesis "this stock is worth more than $8 a share, so, I'm putting everything I have into it", happened to be right. He got ridiculed the whole way and thousands of people warned him he was being stupid. For every point he made, there were a dozen counterpoints that GameStop is more likely to collapse than stick around five more years. All he wanted was for the stock to hit $18. But then the shorts got cornered on the Jan 29th price and now it's a full assault. 

My neighbor runs his own boutique investment business after years at Goldman. He's convinced that WSB, Robinhooders and meme traders are just being used by deep pocket guys. Makes some sense. I'm sure Robinhood traders and WSB message board people "believe" they have this amazing power over the market. My neighbor doubts the true leverage of these investors and their ability to move markets like they think they are. They are portrayed as angry, WFH millennials with stimulus checks out to stick it to the man, and he says there is no way they alone are moving the markets. That the "man" is behind most of the money and are just an unwitting front. Thought that was interesting, and as always, the little guy will get crushed.
r/wsb is not that complicated, nor is it some sort of coordinated effort.  GME (and the others) are meme buys.  Enjoy the ride and land some tendies.

Im going to be that guy and toot my own horn, forgive the jerkstore behavior.

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/782985-2020-fbg-stock-contest/

The good, obviously has been a nice payday

The bad, was only with what amounted to play money.

The story and my continual selling early and doubting STONKS GO UP

Despite contest linked, my average cost is $4.25

Sold a chunk at $10 taking more than a double seems a reasonable move.

Sold another chunk at $40 as 10x is fast getting dumb.

Sold another yesterday at $85 as I was away and later saw spike to $150 and thought that was it.

Have slowly shed tiny amounts today (thank you no cost trading) at $125.

Before typing this scattered sells at $175/$200/$225 in after hours.

Obviously it has disconnected from reality, but kicking myself for being cautious/prudent.   Have made plenty even by not executing well at all.   This has been a wild wild ride and I have both idea where it goes.  $500 or $10 per share in coming days wouldn't surprise me much either way.

There's nothing illegal, unethical, or even the slightest bit shady going on.

They're doing for the longs what Citron and all the pump-and-dumps do against the longs. 
Since I think the short attack guys are doing stuff that is shady, unethical and maybe illegal, I feel the same way about these reddit guys. I’m not a lawyer, FYI.

r/wsb is not that complicated, nor is it some sort of coordinated effort.  GME (and the others) are meme buys.  Enjoy the ride and land some tendies.
Every action has an equal/opposite reaction
Thanks to WSB, Gamestop shorts are suddenly in traction
I don't mean to cast blame, but this started with Andrew Left's reaction
'Cause his explanation of short interest amazed this clueless faction

They all get satisfaction, given he's a giant ### an'
Uses his influence to cause stocks to crash so he can cash in
But now the suckers at the poker game are the ones cashing
Treating the elite like Spacey treated fresh meat at Margin Call casting

Now their picks to brick are leaving them scrambling for cash
And downing every last drop in their flask
Kicked square in the balls 'cause their calls are so brash
'Til someone turns the tables and takes the bread from their pockets
I guess Melvin's allergic to AND workin' for peanuts as Game 🚀 🚀 🚀

It must be nice, it must be nice
To have Citadel on your side

That’s what it’s looking like.  Up big last couple days, HUGE volume.
To be clear, I'm not actually investing in AMC, just relaying what I've been seeing because I regularly lurk on r/wsb, and what I'm hearing from friends who are much more "in the know" than I am.  You guys in this thread are much more sophisticated stock investors than me.  I'm not sure there's any actual teeth to it more than it just being another meme "dying" company in an entertainment/tech space, hence it being inherently attractive to wsb investors.

Every action has an equal/opposite reaction
Thanks to WSB, Gamestop shorts are suddenly in traction
I don't mean to cast blame, but this started with Andrew Left's reaction
'Cause his explanation of short interest amazed this clueless faction

They all get satisfaction, given he's a giant ### an'
Uses his influence to cause stocks to crash so he can cash in
But now the suckers at the poker game are the ones cashing
Treating the elite like Spacey treated fresh meat at Margin Call casting

Now their picks to brick are leaving them scrambling for cash
And downing every last drop in their flask
Kicked square in the balls 'cause their calls are so brash
'Til someone turns the tables and takes the bread from their pockets
I guess Melvin's allergic to AND workin' for peanuts as Game 🚀 🚀 🚀

Bravo!  Jefferson and Adams would be proud... these guys will never be Satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread