What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Offical Korean War Thread (1 Viewer)

mcintyre1

Footballguy
My link

North Korea Enlists German Help to Prepare Economic Opening

Pyongyang may be preparing to open up its economy. A report in a prominent newspaper claims the regime has enlisted the aid of German economic and legal experts to lay the groundwork for foreign investment in North Korean companies. The move could be made as soon as this year.

On New Year's Day, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un called for a "radical" economic renewal for his country and an end to decades of conflict with South Korea. Now, a German media report says he is moving quickly to fulfill at least the first pledge.

According to an article to be published on Saturday by the daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, the communist regime in Pyongyang is preparing to open up the country's economy to foreign investors. Moreover, it has enlisted the assistance of German economists and lawyers to lay the groundwork for the move.

"There is a master plan," one of the economists involved in the plan told the paper. "They want to open up this year." The FAZ did not identify the economist, but noted that he works at a respected German university and that he had advised other governments in Asia in the past.

The economist told the paper that the country is primarily interested in modernizing its laws relating to foreign investment. However, North Korea is not intending to follow the Chinese model, which called for the creation of special economic zones for foreign investors, the economist told the FAZ. "Rather, they are interested in the Vietnamese model, in which specific companies were chosen as recipients of investments," the source said.

Signs of Change

Such a move would revolutionionary for North Korea , which has long been largely cut off from the rest of the world by virtue of its heavy-handed regime. The country's economy is in a shambles as a result. But since Kim Jong Un took over from his late father just over a year ago, there have been signs of change.

His New Year's address was the most obvious indication that he is prepared to embark on a path different from the one followed by his father, Kim Jong Il. Indeed, even holding such an address was a departure; it marked the first such speech by a North Korean leader since Kim Il Sung held the last one in 1994.

Furthermore, Kim was surprisingly open about the poor economic situation in which his country finds itself. He pledged renewal, indicating that it would largely be dependent on continued technological advancement. He also highlighted last month'srocket launch, saying it was a boost for "national self-esteem."

Still, even as the FAZ reports that there are many in the country's leadership who are in favor of opening up the country to investments from Japanese, South Korean and Western companies, the professor the paper cites notes that it is far from a done deal.

"The military in North Korea," he told the paper, "will not want to give up power." He added that it is by no means clear whether Kim's reform efforts will be able to overcome military resistance.
The plot of
is slowly falling in to place...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm imagining this experience for the North Koreans will be similar to someone going into a coma in the 40s and waking up today.

Those people are going to lose their ####### minds when they realize what the real world is like. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Good for them.
I hate to say it, but I'm actually beginning to think that Kim Jong-Un might be able to be a positive influence on his country. Then again, he doesn't have to work too hard to be better than his predecessors.
HITLER?! Well.. at least he's not Stalin! :shrug:
I was thinking more along the lines of a Lee Kwan Yew-like benevolent dictatorship. Not saying its what I'd like, but you can't argue that it hasn't been an overall net-positive for Singapore for the time being, and certainly a step up from Kim Jong-il's North Korea.

Perfect setup for revolution. In general a populace doesn't mutiny while a government has their thumb fully on them. They revolt when things start to get better. Good reason to support this move.

Good for them.
I hate to say it, but I'm actually beginning to think that Kim Jong-Un might be able to be a positive influence on his country. Then again, he doesn't have to work too hard to be better than his predecessors.
I was thinking more along the lines of a Lee Kwan Yew-like benevolent dictatorship. Not saying its what I'd like, but you can't argue that it hasn't been an overall net-positive for Singapore for the time being, and certainly a step up from Kim Jong-il's North Korea.
The difference between North Korea and Singapore is so vast that it would take 10,000 such steps up.

Good for them.
The difference between North Korea and Singapore is so vast that it would take 10,000 such steps up.
I'm not so sure it would take very long at all. They sit on top of natural resources that are about to be incredibly valuable if they open up their manufacturing and mining industries to outside investment. Everyone loves their smart phones, ultrabooks, and iPads, but those don't get made without the type of metals North Korea has in abundance.

Investment money builds a high-tech, shiny factory or mine in North Korea just as well as anywhere else in the world. Train up your workforce (which is already used to working from 5am-10pm) to run the idiot-proof machines and you're well on your way to rich coffers.

Perfect setup for revolution. In general a populace doesn't mutiny while a government has their thumb fully on them. They revolt when things start to get better. Good reason to support this move.
I expect it to be like China where the people get incrementally better off and it's enough to make them not want to revolt.

I expect it to be like China where the people get incrementally better off and it's enough to make them not want to revolt.
Which is a good result for them anyway.

I suspect the 30 or so odd thousand American troops stationed on the 38th parallel would be happy to see this happen as well :thumbup:

Seriously, WTF is North Korea doing here?
North Korea is doing what it always does. It's creating a crisis so that it can then negotiate for food or economic aid in exchange for backing down. They've been running the exact same play for the past 20 years.The only real danger here is that the new guy may not understand how this game is played quite as well as his dad did. You would think the guy would know that actually launching a missile at a US or South Korean or Japanese city would go down in history as one of the most catastrophic miscalculations ever, but it's also possible that he doesn't know that. Further complicating things is that it's actually in his strategic interest for us to think that he might really be that crazy/dumb.

'SacramentoBob said:
:goodposting: Was thinking at one point do these threats get serious? I know the kid is just posturing and probably likes the attention but can we just keep ignoring him? And why the #### is he looking to hit Austin, TX?

'IvanKaramazov said:
'SacramentoBob said:
North Korea is doing what it always does. It's creating a crisis so that it can then negotiate for food or economic aid in exchange for backing down. They've been running the exact same play for the past 20 years.

The only real danger here is that the new guy may not understand how this game is played quite as well as his dad did. You would think the guy would know that actually launching a missile at a US or South Korean or Japanese city would go down in history as one of the most catastrophic miscalculations ever, but it's also possible that he doesn't know that. Further complicating things is that it's actually in his strategic interest for us to think that he might really be that crazy/dumb.
:goodposting: Daddy taught him well. Dude's probably already beat his world record for 18 holes. He just took over the kingdom and all it's spoils; you think he wants to die?

Odds that Dennis Rodman gets a call from the National Security Advisor?

'IvanKaramazov said:
'SacramentoBob said:
North Korea is doing what it always does. It's creating a crisis so that it can then negotiate for food or economic aid in exchange for backing down. They've been running the exact same play for the past 20 years.

The only real danger here is that the new guy may not understand how this game is played quite as well as his dad did. You would think the guy would know that actually launching a missile at a US or South Korean or Japanese city would go down in history as one of the most catastrophic miscalculations ever, but it's also possible that he doesn't know that. Further complicating things is that it's actually in his strategic interest for us to think that he might really be that crazy/dumb.
:goodposting: Daddy taught him well.
This plus he's now in power consolidation mode. He just had a successful missile launch and is now on to sabre rattling.

'IvanKaramazov said:
'SacramentoBob said:

:goodposting: Daddy taught him well.
This plus he's now in power consolidation mode. He just had a successful missile launch and is now on to sabre rattling.
Besides, if he's serious, it's just Texas. (sorry Abe)

Well the escalation is on big time. We sent B-2s to SK. I hope junior figures out pretty quickly there are lines he better not cross.

Well the escalation is on big time. We sent B-2s to SK. I hope junior figures out pretty quickly there are lines he better not cross.
Like what? As long as he doesn't actually launch rockets, we won't do crap.We said using chemical weapons in Syria was a red line that would cause us to act. The Syrians have used chemical weapons now and what have we done in response?

Like what? As long as he doesn't actually launch rockets, we won't do crap.We said using chemical weapons in Syria was a red line that would cause us to act. The Syrians have used chemical weapons now and what have we done in response?
"We" are spread a little thin at the moment. And hey, if all we have to do is upgrade his room at the Ritz and feed his little buddies for a few weeks, that's a small price to pay so that Jane and John ######## in Odessa can enjoy their Olive Garden Friday in peace.

[*]no one seems to know if chemical weapons were used in Syria. You cant blame a lack of action until you have proof chemical weapons were used.

[*]North Korea is completely different situation than Syria. The US doesnt have 30,000 troops in the line of fire in Syria.

[*]I hope you're right that we don't attack North Korea unless they attack US or South Korea (in a meaningful way) or other allies. One hopes that is the case.

If you don't think the deployment of nuclear capable bombers to SK represents a sign of seriousness I don't know what to tell you. It was done to send a message I just hope he heard it.

C'mon, the guy just wants some bagels and a couple cheesecakes from Juniors. Hook him up and let's get back to the business of celebrating taking one for the team.

Years of inbreeding has resulted in a leader of DPRK that is the biggest wacko of all. After enough companies come in to set up shop and give his fledgling country a boost, he'll nationalize those industries he deems worthy of it, then thumb his nose at the rest of the world as if to say, "whatcha going to do about it?"

Years of inbreeding has resulted in a leader of DPRK that is the biggest wacko of all. After enough companies come in to set up shop and give his fledgling country a boost, he'll nationalize those industries he deems worthy of it, then thumb his nose at the rest of the world as if to say, "whatcha going to do about it?"
Yeah there is no way anyone could trust the regime enough to put in 10's or 100's of millions in investment. I don't think even Chinese companies would. Too much risk.

At what point do we decide we've had enough of the threats from this lunatic and just go in and gut his military? If he's ever going to actually do something, at some point it could be too late for us to act...

Users who are viewing this thread