What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (3 Viewers)

This team is trying to be the Patriots. A team whose window seems to always be open. That starts with the QB. It includes stability at HC. And it requires a GM who can be tough and somewhat heartless. I think we have those ingredients. If anything our window is just coming open. And it should stay open for quite a while.
I hope it stays open.  The Pats have a next man up mentality and they always seem to have that next man.  But they know how to fill a gap quickly by grabbing a viable player when needed... especially at RB.  Been plenty of aging RBs get picked up by NE and have a rebirth in their careers... all the while helping them get to the SB or stay in the SB hunt.  

True and I agree.  I just wish they had been able to get the franchise tag on him for this year, while our window is open.  But anyway, that ship has sailed.  I think our rookies will be fine in time.  
I got.to.ask why all this window closing talk? We have the best young QB in the league. We have the best young MLB in the league. Benjamin is just scratching the surface of what he can be. We obviously have depth. And we have a bunch of up and coming guys on both sides of the ball. I just don't see this closing window. Yes we will lose some guys bevause, money. But so far restocking seems to be going well.

The rookie CBs will improve. Josh Norman struggled his first two seasons with the Panthers. He played in 12 games his rookie season before being benched, and he only played 7 games his second year. It wasn't until his third season that he caught on. 
A point I was trying to make is that, yes, Norman developed after the first couple of years.  And yes, Bradberry and Worley will develop too.  But when Norman was developing, we weren't favorites to get to the SB.  I wish we had depth back there where these guys can develop along but not be liabilities to us when we play a playoff game against Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson.  These two are thrown into the fire.. and while that's good for us/them in some ways, it is going to be exploited by quality offensive teams.  

Siemian had an effective game against them.  Gabbert threw for 243 and 2 TDs.  What is Brees and Matt Ryan going to do?  Russell Wilson... Rodgers.. 

I got.to.ask why all this window closing talk? We have the best young QB in the league. We have the best young MLB in the league. Benjamin is just scratching the surface of what he can be. We obviously have depth. And we have a bunch of up and coming guys on both sides of the ball. I just don't see this closing window. Yes we will lose some guys bevause, money. But so far restocking seems to be going well.
Just being pessimistic I guess.  I hope we can lock up Benjamin when his rookie contract is up.  

Just being pessimistic I guess.  I hope we can lock up Benjamin when his rookie contract is up.  
Yeah that will be a huge need to get done. We have an embarrassment of riches and I am not sure the cap is going to let us keep them all. Some tough decisions to be made. Again.

The rookie CBs will improve. Josh Norman struggled his first two seasons with the Panthers. He played in 12 games his rookie season before being benched, and he only played 7 games his second year. It wasn't until his third season that he caught on. 
A point I was trying to make is that, yes, Norman developed after the first couple of years.  And yes, Bradberry and Worley will develop too.  But when Norman was developing, we weren't favorites to get to the SB.  I wish we had depth back there where these guys can develop along but not be liabilities to us when we play a playoff game against Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson.  These two are thrown into the fire.. and while that's good for us/them in some ways, it is going to be exploited by quality offensive teams.  

Siemian had an effective game against them.  Gabbert threw for 243 and 2 TDs.  What is Brees and Matt Ryan going to do?  Russell Wilson... Rodgers.. 
I think the Panthers will be competitive for many years, and I don't see their SB window closing soon. The D can certainly play better and the CBs will get picked on, but Gabbert got some gifted opportunities from the cats turning the ball over 4 times.

FWIW, PFF graded out both rookie CBs well.  I didn't see the game, but maybe it's a safety/Bene problem rather than the rookie CBs.   

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-sf-car-grades/
Top defensive performances

CB James Bradberry, 91.3

LB Luke Kuechly 86.4

LB Thomas Davis, 83.2

CB Daryl Worley, 81.9

DE Mario Addison, 76.0

Faith in youth rewarded in the secondary

Cutting All-Pro players is a rarely successful personnel policy; throwing rookies in as replacements is even more of a risk. Cornerback James Bradberry is unlikely to reach Josh Norman’s level on a consistent basis, but he was outstanding against the 49ers. On seven throws into his coverage, he allowed only one catch for 6 yards, picked off a pass, and deflected another. Blaine Gabbert’s QB rating targeting him was 0.0. Bradberry wasn’t the only rookie corner making plays for the Panthers, however; late-round selection Daryl Worley had a pass deflection of his own, and gave up only two short receptions otherwise. The best defenses rely on standout corners, increasing the pressure on the Panthers’ young contributors. They’ve responded well so far.

Amazing.

Wondered if they wouldn't simply roll with Fozzy and Tolbert.
CAP hasn't been up because of the numbers game and needs elsewhere. They will definitely have him up while Stew is out. Pretty sure the team sees him as Stewart's eventual replacement. He plays well enough they can let Stewart take his time coming back. He plays really well maybe Stewart isn't here next year.

Wondered if they wouldn't simply roll with Fozzy and Tolbert.
CAP hasn't been up because of the numbers game and needs elsewhere. They will definitely have him up while Stew is out. Pretty sure the team sees him as Stewart's eventual replacement. He plays well enough they can let Stewart take his time coming back. He plays really well maybe Stewart isn't here next year
I certainly look forward to seeing what he can do.....Regardless of what he does, isn't this Stew's last year anyway?  Kinda thought that was where they were going :oldunsure:  

I certainly look forward to seeing what he can do.....Regardless of what he does, isn't this Stew's last year anyway?  Kinda thought that was where they were going :oldunsure:  
I think we have already survived the worst of Stews contract. After this season his cap hit starts going down. Drops over a million dollars next season. But we could save about 4 million cutting him next season IIRC. In 2018 he is really cheap to keep. So I think all that will depend on what happens this season and if he can stay relatively healthy.

FWIW, PFF graded out both rookie CBs well.  I didn't see the game, but maybe it's a safety/Bene problem rather than the rookie CBs.   

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-sf-car-grades/
Missed most of this discussion and you are correct. Our break downs in coverage have actually been more on the safety level (and maybe LB? not sure who was supposed to follow the TE). The Torrey Smith TD was Boston's failure, not Bradberry and Rivera mentioned that specifically after the game. He was supposed to have inside help. If you re-watch it, you'd notice what I saw live, which was 3 defenders on the TE at the 10 and no one behind Bradberry. We play zone and Rivera said that Boston was out of position.

Honestly, love Bradberry and I think he'll be really, really good for us. I also think Worley showed up as well. They're rookies and they will make mistakes, but I think our CBs are pretty promising going forward. If Boston can go from making great plays and bad plays to making great plays and not giving up big plays and if Coleman picks it up a bit (he's seemed out of place sometimes as well), the secondary should be good. I think at the end of the year, we'll be solid.

I think we have already survived the worst of Stews contract. After this season his cap hit starts going down. Drops over a million dollars next season. But we could save about 4 million cutting him next season IIRC. In 2018 he is really cheap to keep. So I think all that will depend on what happens this season and if he can stay relatively healthy.
Thats a big IF

Missed most of this discussion and you are correct. Our break downs in coverage have actually been more on the safety level (and maybe LB? not sure who was supposed to follow the TE). The Torrey Smith TD was Boston's failure, not Bradberry and Rivera mentioned that specifically after the game. He was supposed to have inside help. If you re-watch it, you'd notice what I saw live, which was 3 defenders on the TE at the 10 and no one behind Bradberry. We play zone and Rivera said that Boston was out of position.

Honestly, love Bradberry and I think he'll be really, really good for us. I also think Worley showed up as well. They're rookies and they will make mistakes, but I think our CBs are pretty promising going forward. If Boston can go from making great plays and bad plays to making great plays and not giving up big plays and if Coleman picks it up a bit (he's seemed out of place sometimes as well), the secondary should be good. I think at the end of the year, we'll be solid.
I think some of my comments on Monday were misconstrued, and it was probably my fault.  My underlying point of view is that our secondary will be our downfall.  The rookie CBs will be fine and I actually think Bradberry will be a great CB in time.  Boston was out of position on the T. Smith TD.  I didn't mean to put the blame on Bradberry, especially since he thought he had middle help.  Whether it is Boston or Coleman being out of position, or the lack of experience with the young CBs, the fact remains that it is our defensive backfield that can/will be exploited by good passing QBs.  I hope (very much so) that they get better and will be a solid secondary by season's end.  For now, it just makes me very nervous when we don't get pressure on the QB.  

My comments about the SB window are that we are certainly in that position now.  As NCCommish and Simey said earlier, I hope we are in that position for many years to come.  And I like the direction management is going to ensure that.  I just wish we had a solid veteran in the secondary to take some of the pressure off the CBs as they develop... that's all.  A healthy Tillman would have been great.  And I think our offense and the points they put up will certainly help.  

Defensive backfield is awful and we're lucky the TE dropped the other pass when he got 5 yards past all of them.  That's going to be the down fall.  I'm starting to wish they would have paid Norman and used at least two of those CB draft picks on other areas of need.  Unless you are New England or Pitt, who have their collective houses in order, the window of opportunity doesn't stay open for very long. 

The D-line just can't seem to get to the QB anymore.  I think Bradberry is going to be a fine CB, but putting him out there with no free safety help in the middle and he is toast.  Norman definitely defends that slant pass for the TD.  

I don't know what's wrong with CAP... but this is why it's time to draft a viable starting RB next year and I hope we get one.  Fozzy had a good outing but that fumble.  I cringe every time he runs the ball.  And butter fingers Ginn was back out there yesterday.  The total lack of effort on that kick return was unacceptable.  

I thought Luke did fine.  He had 11 tackles and the INT.  The line can't get penetration.  Most of the tackles for loss was when Coleman blitzed off the end.  But that's going to leave one of the rookie CBs exposed to that slant.  
Dude, really pessimistic. A few thoughts.

1. Our safeties have been meh. See my post above, the slant wasn't open due to Coleman, Boston was out of place, came in on the TE who already had two guys on him. He hung Bradberry out to dry and Rivera confirmed that Bradberry did it correctly that Boston was supposed to be there.

2. As awful as you think our DBs have been, they are #3 in passer rating at 66.7, which is only 1.5 points behind Arizona and 0.1 behind Denver (Redskins are 25th with 108.6 with Norman playing well). We are #7 in yards passing per game and tied for first with 4 INTs (with Arizona) even with giving up an 80 yard TD on a bad coverage of the TE. 20% of our total yardage was that one play. If we cover the TE, we are #1 in passer rating and #1 in yardage. Hardly awful.

3. Pressure is an issue, we are 15th (1 behind 8th) with 4 sacks, but honestly without the pressure, the secondary has done well.

4. Luke and TD have made some mistakes and been out of place. They've also played really, really well at all other times. Part of the out of place could be our DL not playing up to snuff and letting the OL get downfield on the LBers. That said, Charles Johnson has been pretty solid so far. We just need to get the DTs and Ealy to bring the pain and we'll be good. We started a bit slow last year too, gotta bring it this week.

5. We have a big window. Anyone concerned about the window needs to relax. First, KB has 3 years left. Two more on the rookie deal and a 5th year option since he's a 1st rounder at about $8M in 2018. Don't worry about KB. He will be extended, but not until 2018 at the earliest and we won't be deciding between him and Funchess. Same goes with Shaq and Butler. Their 5th year options are cheaper since we draft at the end of the 1st round, so we'll get another 4 years from Shaq and 5 from Butler at a reasonable amount.

6. About the window. We've got $22M in cap to carry over to 2017. We only have one guy (Short) to worry about for 2017 and we can franchise him. So, with absolutely no problem at all, we can afford our entire team in 2016 and 2017. For 2018, that is where the magic has to happen, but let's say we use the franchise tag, only $8M in 2016 carryover. Well, now we are in 2018 and we carried over $8M from 2016 and right now we have $40M open in 2017 and again, Short is basically the only expensive guy not signed in 2017. We also likely say goodbye to Stewart and save another $5M.

So, if you are following all of this, we now have everyone from 2016 signed in 2017 plus some rookies (we'll use Stewart plus maybe Dickson/Tolbert's cap savings for the 2017 rookies). I won't even mention that I am really looking forward to that draft with an extra 3rd rounder in our pocket. I'm betting we come away with an impact RB and DE in that draft. Let's also say that with the extra cap from the normal growth we resign Charles Johnson for a couple years, worth keeping in rotation. Now, we enter 2018 with $48M in extra cap space in addition to the fact that we only have $85M in contracts in 2018 (about $70M under the cap).

In conclusion, while we have Turner, Short, Star, Norwell, Ealy and TD (retired?) in 2018 and KB, Funchess, Kalil (retired?) and Olsen in 2019, I think we will have the cap space to sign almost all of them. $70 under the cap per year plus lest say another $16M per year with the carry over and you've got $80+ per year for the guys above, ignoring all the draft picks/FA pick ups like Oher and Coleman.

Turner = $10M per year

Short = $15M per year

Star = $9M per year

Norwell = $6M per year

Ealy = $9M per year (he's a big wild card, Short/Turner/Star are at the top of their positions (pass rushing DT, G, NT), but Ealy could be relatively cheap if he doesn't blow up or could be $15M per year if he starts getting double digit sacks this year and next. I like him, but the SB was his apex. I don't think he'll command top dollar.

TD = ?

KB = $15M per year

Funchess = $8M per year

Olsen/Kalil = ?

That's $72M per year even taking all of them back. Even without doing a whole lot of work, I think we can afford this team for a while and with new draft picks/who knows, we've got the wiggle room to be competitive easily through 2020/2021 when Cam/Luke's deals are up. You've easily got 5-6 years without a whole lot of worry about cap situations.

Dude, really pessimistic. A few thoughts.

1. Our safeties have been meh. See my post above, the slant wasn't open due to Coleman, Boston was out of place, came in on the TE who already had two guys on him. He hung Bradberry out to dry and Rivera confirmed that Bradberry did it correctly that Boston was supposed to be there.

2. As awful as you think our DBs have been, they are #3 in passer rating at 66.7, which is only 1.5 points behind Arizona and 0.1 behind Denver (Redskins are 25th with 108.6 with Norman playing well). We are #7 in yards passing per game and tied for first with 4 INTs (with Arizona) even with giving up an 80 yard TD on a bad coverage of the TE. 20% of our total yardage was that one play. If we cover the TE, we are #1 in passer rating and #1 in yardage. Hardly awful.

3. Pressure is an issue, we are 15th (1 behind 8th) with 4 sacks, but honestly without the pressure, the secondary has done well.

4. Luke and TD have made some mistakes and been out of place. They've also played really, really well at all other times. Part of the out of place could be our DL not playing up to snuff and letting the OL get downfield on the LBers. That said, Charles Johnson has been pretty solid so far. We just need to get the DTs and Ealy to bring the pain and we'll be good. We started a bit slow last year too, gotta bring it this week.

5. We have a big window. Anyone concerned about the window needs to relax. First, KB has 3 years left. Two more on the rookie deal and a 5th year option since he's a 1st rounder at about $8M in 2018. Don't worry about KB. He will be extended, but not until 2018 at the earliest and we won't be deciding between him and Funchess. Same goes with Shaq and Butler. Their 5th year options are cheaper since we draft at the end of the 1st round, so we'll get another 4 years from Shaq and 5 from Butler at a reasonable amount.

6. About the window. We've got $22M in cap to carry over to 2017. We only have one guy (Short) to worry about for 2017 and we can franchise him. So, with absolutely no problem at all, we can afford our entire team in 2016 and 2017. For 2018, that is where the magic has to happen, but let's say we use the franchise tag, only $8M in 2016 carryover. Well, now we are in 2018 and we carried over $8M from 2016 and right now we have $40M open in 2017 and again, Short is basically the only expensive guy not signed in 2017. We also likely say goodbye to Stewart and save another $5M.

So, if you are following all of this, we now have everyone from 2016 signed in 2017 plus some rookies (we'll use Stewart plus maybe Dickson/Tolbert's cap savings for the 2017 rookies). I won't even mention that I am really looking forward to that draft with an extra 3rd rounder in our pocket. I'm betting we come away with an impact RB and DE in that draft. Let's also say that with the extra cap from the normal growth we resign Charles Johnson for a couple years, worth keeping in rotation. Now, we enter 2018 with $48M in extra cap space in addition to the fact that we only have $85M in contracts in 2018 (about $70M under the cap).

In conclusion, while we have Turner, Short, Star, Norwell, Ealy and TD (retired?) in 2018 and KB, Funchess, Kalil (retired?) and Olsen in 2019, I think we will have the cap space to sign almost all of them. $70 under the cap per year plus lest say another $16M per year with the carry over and you've got $80+ per year for the guys above, ignoring all the draft picks/FA pick ups like Oher and Coleman.

Turner = $10M per year

Short = $15M per year

Star = $9M per year

Norwell = $6M per year

Ealy = $9M per year (he's a big wild card, Short/Turner/Star are at the top of their positions (pass rushing DT, G, NT), but Ealy could be relatively cheap if he doesn't blow up or could be $15M per year if he starts getting double digit sacks this year and next. I like him, but the SB was his apex. I don't think he'll command top dollar.

TD = ?

KB = $15M per year

Funchess = $8M per year

Olsen/Kalil = ?

That's $72M per year even taking all of them back. Even without doing a whole lot of work, I think we can afford this team for a while and with new draft picks/who knows, we've got the wiggle room to be competitive easily through 2020/2021 when Cam/Luke's deals are up. You've easily got 5-6 years without a whole lot of worry about cap situations.
This is a great post.  All good points.  Like I said above, I didn't mean to be all pessimistic.  Monday commentary was from emotion.  I admitted I was being pessimistic and I apologize.  See my latest comments.  

No one.. and I mean no one wants success for this team more than me.  I remember the joy of being in the 2003 SB and nearly beating the Pats.  Damn Vinateiri.  It was a long time coming between then and last year.  We had the broncs.  It was a devastating loss for me.  I just want to get back.  I'll try not to be so pessimistic going forward.  

I think some of my comments on Monday were misconstrued, and it was probably my fault.  My underlying point of view is that our secondary will be our downfall.  The rookie CBs will be fine and I actually think Bradberry will be a great CB in time.  Boston was out of position on the T. Smith TD.  I didn't mean to put the blame on Bradberry, especially since he thought he had middle help.  Whether it is Boston or Coleman being out of position, or the lack of experience with the young CBs, the fact remains that it is our defensive backfield that can/will be exploited by good passing QBs.  I hope (very much so) that they get better and will be a solid secondary by season's end.  For now, it just makes me very nervous when we don't get pressure on the QB.  

My comments about the SB window are that we are certainly in that position now.  As NCCommish and Simey said earlier, I hope we are in that position for many years to come.  And I like the direction management is going to ensure that.  I just wish we had a solid veteran in the secondary to take some of the pressure off the CBs as they develop... that's all.  A healthy Tillman would have been great.  And I think our offense and the points they put up will certainly help.  
See my next post. Hopefully, that allows you to sit back and enjoy the ride. I am sure we won't sign all those guys for top $$$, because in my post I am completely ignoring Butler's growth and 15-20 first, second and 3rd round picks over the next five years (including compensatory picks). Seeing as how Gettleman's first 3 draft classes (I like Butler, Bradberry and Worley, but too early), got us Star, Short, Benjamin, Ealy, Turner, Shaq and Funchess.

I've sort of ignored the fact that while I think we can afford the core of this team for the next 5 years, we are also going to be adding another Star, Short, Benjamin, Ealy, Turner, Shaq, Funchess and a couple more to this team on cheap rookie deals over the next few years. If that doesn't get you excited about our 5 year window, then you need to see a doctor for some Viagra. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
See my next post. Hopefully, that allows you to sit back and enjoy the ride. I am sure we won't sign all those guys for top $$$, because in my post I am completely ignoring Butler's growth and 15-20 first, second and 3rd round picks over the next five years (including compensatory picks). Seeing as how Gettleman's first 3 draft classes (I like Butler, Bradberry and Worley, but too early), got us Star, Short, Benjamin, Ealy, Turner, Shaq and Funchess.

I've sort of ignored the fact that while I think we can afford the core of this team for the next 5 years, we are also going to be adding another Star, Short, Benjamin, Ealy, Turner, Shaq, Funchess and a couple more to this team on cheap rookie deals over the next few years. If that doesn't get you excited about our 5 year window, then you need to see a doctor for some Viagra. :D
I hear ya.  The only comment I'd make to add to your previous post, regarding the rating of the secondary after two weeks, is that they faced a rookie QB in Denver and Gabbert.  I worry about when they face Brees and Ryan... and any QB we will face in the playoffs.  

But I am very excited about where this team is going.  Thanks for that perspective. 

This is a great post.  All good points.  Like I said above, I didn't mean to be all pessimistic.  Monday commentary was from emotion.  I admitted I was being pessimistic and I apologize.  See my latest comments.  

No one.. and I mean no one wants success for this team more than me.  I remember the joy of being in the 2003 SB and nearly beating the Pats.  Damn Vinateiri.  It was a long time coming between then and last year.  We had the broncs.  It was a devastating loss for me.  I just want to get back.  I'll try not to be so pessimistic going forward.  
I know, just trying to get you pumped up. We've got a great team and the space to keep it together while DG works some more draft magic. As much as I want to win now, I can't wait for 2017 and 2018 because I think we'll be better as the secondary and Butler gain experience from 2016 and KB/Funchess/Byrd/dare I say Cook, Chubb or McCaffery growing in the offense. I know we'll eventually lose guys like TD, Kalil and Olsen a long the way, but Shaq and Cash will keep improving, maybe Gradkowski (3.5 years younger than Kalil) who looked great in preseason can take over for a few years and maybe Sandland learns enough from Greg to be a solid player. Sandland looked great in preseason/camp (which I saw) catching the ball, but I think Olsen will be our biggest loss. I've seen enough out of Shaq/Cash that while losing TD will be hard, they make me believe there won't be a huge drop off. Honestly, with Turner and Norwell, Gradkowski looked really good in preseason. He's started a full year before and can be groomed so there isn't much of a drop off there. Olsen is the guy I am most worried about, but maybe Funchess takes the mantle.

Anyway, typed way too much, but this will be a really fun 5+ year run. I hope they take a title, but we will absolutely be competing for it for a long time.

I hear ya.  The only comment I'd make to add to your previous post, regarding the rating of the secondary after two weeks, is that they faced a rookie QB in Denver and Gabbert.  I worry about when they face Brees and Ryan... and any QB we will face in the playoffs.  

But I am very excited about where this team is going.  Thanks for that perspective. 
Agreed, but I also think we faced two very solid OLs and I'm pretty sure we'll have an easier time scoring on those two teams. I think while they'll get burned more, hopefully just short and not long, we should be able to bring more pressure as well.

I know, just trying to get you pumped up. We've got a great team and the space to keep it together while DG works some more draft magic. As much as I want to win now, I can't wait for 2017 and 2018 because I think we'll be better as the secondary and Butler gain experience from 2016 and KB/Funchess/Byrd/dare I say Cook, Chubb or McCaffery growing in the offense. I know we'll eventually lose guys like TD, Kalil and Olsen a long the way, but Shaq and Cash will keep improving, maybe Gradkowski (3.5 years younger than Kalil) who looked great in preseason can take over for a few years and maybe Sandland learns enough from Greg to be a solid player. Sandland looked great in preseason/camp (which I saw) catching the ball, but I think Olsen will be our biggest loss. I've seen enough out of Shaq/Cash that while losing TD will be hard, they make me believe there won't be a huge drop off. Honestly, with Turner and Norwell, Gradkowski looked really good in preseason. He's started a full year before and can be groomed so there isn't much of a drop off there. Olsen is the guy I am most worried about, but maybe Funchess takes the mantle.

Anyway, typed way too much, but this will be a really fun 5+ year run. I hope they take a title, but we will absolutely be competing for it for a long time.
Man, I'd love to draft one of those three.  There are other good RBs in next year's draft as well.  I think CAP may be okay but not sure if he can carry the tailback load.  Fozzy just makes me nervous.  Olsen is obviously Cam's go to receiver and will be a big loss.  I love Shaq Thompson.  Love how he plays and the things he has learned under T Davis will only make him better.  I also like Cash.  

Man, I'd love to draft one of those three.  There are other good RBs in next year's draft as well.  I think CAP may be okay but not sure if he can carry the tailback load.  Fozzy just makes me nervous.  Olsen is obviously Cam's go to receiver and will be a big loss.  I love Shaq Thompson.  Love how he plays and the things he has learned under T Davis will only make him better.  I also like Cash.  
I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of those are available in the late 1st and yes, there are a ton of good RBs in next year's draft. With the ability to save $5M in cap space with Stewart's release and the 2017 RB draft class, it's almost like Norman all over again. DG is going to realize that we can save the space and get our RB(s) of the future. I like CAP, but he is what he is, a backup. Heck, I know Tolbert is a crowd favorite, but between him and Stewart, we could save $6.5M in cap space next year and go with a youth movement at RB. Stewart may be willing to sign a lower deal, but he's not worth the almost $10M in cap this year (dead cap was $13M, so dumb to not keep him) and $8M+ next year.

We've still got Jalen Simmons and Devon Johnson on the PS/IR and CAP/Fozzie (he's a FA, but should be cheap). Throw in a guy to be the #1 and it's a decent RB stable that is not too old. Fozzie is 27, CAP is 24, so it could be like the CBs where we drafted Bene in 2014 and then 2 years later drafted 3. I could see us draft 2 (one early, one later) and see how the 4 young ones and Fozzie shake out in camp. Maybe Tolbert sticks around as well, but Stewart and Tolbert combined would be a $10M cap hit for an often injured 30 and not as effective 31 year old.

Well no AP. He also tore his LCL. Out at least 4 months. Also no starting LT. Kalil is out not sure if they put him on IR or not but he won't play this week. Lose your starting QB, all world RB and your starting LT within a couple of weeks of each other. That is some bad mojo right there. Although AP hadn't been very productive so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't be more proud of this team and the way they've handled the media the past couple days.  Every single one of them have been crushing it up at that podium...love this team!

:thumbup:  

Complete and absolute failure in every phase. The play calling on both sides of the ball was atrocious. The players were atrocious. Absolutely dominated. Congrats Vikes.

Complete and absolute failure in every phase. The play calling on both sides of the ball was atrocious. The players were atrocious. Absolutely dominated. Congrats Vikes.
Agreed....I don't know what happened, but they were absolutely flat and didn't look like they even wanted to be out there.

As I said before this season, we need a LT.  I have never been impressed with Oher.  He has looked slow and unresponsive basically since the super bowl.  Not a fan of the ext we gave him but I guess it was cheap enough.

As I said before this season, we need a LT.  I have never been impressed with Oher.  He has looked slow and unresponsive basically since the super bowl.  Not a fan of the ext we gave him but I guess it was cheap enough.
To be fair to Oher he did make some good blocks but he also got stone cold beaten on others. He is average at best. Part of the blame for the sacks comes from calling all these deep plays. We couldn't block well enough for that. Where were the slants to Benjamin and Funchess? They should eat teams up with that. But nothing. And Cam owns a couple of them.for not taking the outlet when he had it. Poor play all around. Poor play calling as well.

This team isn't very good or at least isn't playing like a good team.  Thank goodness we are in the NFC South.

About the safety...why do teams get to hit Cam in the head?  That should have been a penalty.  I'll have to put some of that on Cam as he missed a wide open safety valve to the left.

To be fair to Oher he did make some good blocks but he also got stone cold beaten on others. He is average at best. Part of the blame for the sacks comes from calling all these deep plays. We couldn't block well enough for that. Where were the slants to Benjamin and Funchess? They should eat teams up with that. But nothing. And Cam owns a couple of them.for not taking the outlet when he had it. Poor play all around. Poor play calling as well.
I'm not typically one to yell at a screen or get emotionally worked up during a sporting event, but I caught myself yelling at Cam to throw the ####### ball several times.

They didn't start calling dump offs or whatever until it was way too late in the game. I don't understand why they don't just mix that in as a regular outlet for Cam. The Vikings D is too good for the cats to have Cam constantly drop back and wait for something to open up long. The Vikings played better than the Panthers in the second half.

I'm not going to criticize like I did last week, but what I saw was essentially a tale of two adjustments.  Our defense dominated the first half.  They adjusted and Bradford stopped standing back there waiting to be pressured.  Short, deliberate routes and quick passes.  It's the same thing Denver did with Siemian and was equally effective against our defense.  Will this be the new trend against our front 7?  

The other adjustment?  Well, it never happened.  Cam continued to stand like a statue in the backfield until our o-line could block their pass rushers no more.  He thinks he can scramble out of any pressure situation.  Well, he can't always do that.  The adjustment?  It seems so simple.  Let's help Cam and get some quick routes.  Slants, quick throws to the flat.  It never happened.  

How can a 50 year old man, from a chair in his living room, see that simple adjustment clearly and the OC staff sitting in the press box with head sets can't?  Midway in the 3rd I thought, ok, let's change this up and ditch the long, slow developing stuff for now.  Minnesota's defensive line is too good for Cam to just stand back there all day.  Minnesota's OC saw it and made change for Bradford.  Yet we die a slow death and don't change anything.  

If we played ATL or NO every week, the normal offensive approach would usually work well.  If we make the playoffs, there won't be those types of defenses.  When are we going to learn to adjust, mid-game?  

I wouldn't have thought Benjamin made the bus trip to the stadium, if it weren't for that ridiculous block in the back to kill Fozzy's TD.  Why do these people feel the need to push someone in the back?  So dumb.  That would have put us up 17-3.  Instead, it put us in a funk that we never recovered from.  

Where were the slants to Benjamin and Funchess? They should eat teams up with that.
That and Olsen in the flat is essentially unstoppable.  I recall one play, in particular, where we needed a first down and Cam locked on the guy down the left sidelines.  On TV, you could clearly see, on the right side of the field, a 5 yard down and out route by the slot who stood all along at the first down marker.  Cam never looked his way.  

Thank goodness we are in the NFC South.
Brees, Ryan, and Winston now have two game films on how to attack our defense (Den and Minn).  Quick routes attacking these young CBs.  Don't give our pass rush time to develop.   Ryan and Brees will eat these guys up.  Just watch.  Hopefully, our offense can score as well and we can win 38-35 or so.  

That and Olsen in the flat is essentially unstoppable.  I recall one play, in particular, where we needed a first down and Cam locked on the guy down the left sidelines.  On TV, you could clearly see, on the right side of the field, a 5 yard down and out route by the slot who stood all along at the first down marker.  Cam never looked his way.  
Yeah the radio guys mentioned that one. It is one of Cams weaknesses that sometimes he wants it all now and locks on. It has been a point of emphasis for him this off season and he had been doing better. But he reverted out of frustration I believe. He knows he can't do that and I hope we will clean that up this week.

https://media.profootballfocus.com/2016/08/team-header_car.png

Quarterback gradeCam Newton, 51.4

Vikings secondary shouts down Newton

Newton was under duress for most of the afternoon as the Vikings defense continues to wreak havoc for opposing offenses in the passing game. A combination of pressures given up by the offensive line and coverage down the field forcing Newton to hold the ball made it difficult for Newton all day. He made several poor decisions with guys around his feet, throwing three interceptions. On the day Newton was sacked eight times, with three of those being pinned on Newton. The Vikings showed various blitz looks all day, holding Newton to 6-for-11 for 61 yards and 3 sacks on plays they blitzed.

Top offensive grades:

RT Mike Remmers, 85.7
RG Trai Turner, 81.2
FB Mike Tolbert, 79.7
LG Andrew Norell, 76.1
WR Corey Brown, 73.3

Panthers unable to get Benjamin involved

The most glaring problem for the offense was the lack of involvement from its biggest playmaker, Kelvin Benjamin. Coverage was tight throughout the day and Benjamin was targeted just once and couldn’t haul it in. While there were a lot of sacks given up on the day, none of those were coming from Mike Remmers’ side. Remmers gave up two hurries but was relatively stout in protection and in the run game. The majority of the trouble on the offensive line came from Michael Oher, who gave up 2 sacks and 5 quarterback hurries getting beat consistently on Cam Newton’s blind side.

Top defensive grades:

LB Luke Kuechly, 90.0
CB James Bradberry, 80.8
DE Mario Addison, 80.2
DT Kawann Short, 79.5
DE Charles Johnson, 78.4

Kuechly shines yet again

LB Luke Kuechly is currently our highest-graded linebacker for the second season in a row, and turned in an excellent performance against the Vikings. Seven of his 12 tackles resulted in a defensive stop, and he led the team with an 88.6 run-defense grade. Kuechly was beaten in coverage for a couple of first downs by TE Kyle Rudolph, but earned a positive coverage grade after allowing six receptions for 56 yards on eight targets, with a pass defended. Rookie cornerback James Bradberry did an excellent job on emerging WR Stefon Diggs, limiting him to three catches for 34 yards on six attempts, and adding a pass defense of his own. All four of Carolina’s starting defensive linemen earned positive run defense grades, led by DT Kawann Short (83.3) and DE Charles Johnson (83.1).

Another thing yesterday was the difference in punt coverage in these two teams.  Our gunners were double teamed and had a difficult time getting down to the returner.  Once resulting in a return for TD.  Conversely, their gunners (especially Cordarrelle Patterson) seemed to fly down the field unhampered, putting immediate pressure on Ginn as he received the punt.  

We have an excellent punter in Andy Lee, but the coverage needs to be better.  And we need to jam the other gunners more effectively.  The time Patterson blew up Ginn he ran right past Bradberry, IIRC, and as he was running down field, Colin Jones tried to run with him as if to beat him to the spot, turn around and block him.  I don't know why he didn't just block him when he was in front of Patterson.  He can't match his speed.  Hit him while you can.  Instead he let Patterson run right past him. 

https://media.profootballfocus.com/2016/08/team-header_car.png

Quarterback gradeCam Newton, 51.4

Vikings secondary shouts down Newton

Newton was under duress for most of the afternoon as the Vikings defense continues to wreak havoc for opposing offenses in the passing game. A combination of pressures given up by the offensive line and coverage down the field forcing Newton to hold the ball made it difficult for Newton all day. He made several poor decisions with guys around his feet, throwing three interceptions. On the day Newton was sacked eight times, with three of those being pinned on Newton. The Vikings showed various blitz looks all day, holding Newton to 6-for-11 for 61 yards and 3 sacks on plays they blitzed.

Top offensive grades:

RT Mike Remmers, 85.7
RG Trai Turner, 81.2
FB Mike Tolbert, 79.7
LG Andrew Norell, 76.1
WR Corey Brown, 73.3

Panthers unable to get Benjamin involved

The most glaring problem for the offense was the lack of involvement from its biggest playmaker, Kelvin Benjamin. Coverage was tight throughout the day and Benjamin was targeted just once and couldn’t haul it in. While there were a lot of sacks given up on the day, none of those were coming from Mike Remmers’ side. Remmers gave up two hurries but was relatively stout in protection and in the run game. The majority of the trouble on the offensive line came from Michael Oher, who gave up 2 sacks and 5 quarterback hurries getting beat consistently on Cam Newton’s blind side.

Top defensive grades:

LB Luke Kuechly, 90.0
CB James Bradberry, 80.8
DE Mario Addison, 80.2
DT Kawann Short, 79.5
DE Charles Johnson, 78.4

Kuechly shines yet again

LB Luke Kuechly is currently our highest-graded linebacker for the second season in a row, and turned in an excellent performance against the Vikings. Seven of his 12 tackles resulted in a defensive stop, and he led the team with an 88.6 run-defense grade. Kuechly was beaten in coverage for a couple of first downs by TE Kyle Rudolph, but earned a positive coverage grade after allowing six receptions for 56 yards on eight targets, with a pass defended. Rookie cornerback James Bradberry did an excellent job on emerging WR Stefon Diggs, limiting him to three catches for 34 yards on six attempts, and adding a pass defense of his own. All four of Carolina’s starting defensive linemen earned positive run defense grades, led by DT Kawann Short (83.3) and DE Charles Johnson (83.1).
If there is a bright spot it's Bradberry. I think he is the real deal. And unlike someone he isn't a head case.

Users who are viewing this thread