What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Robert Griffin III - RGIII RG3 (2 Viewers)

I would be jumpy if Cam Erving was my center. Guy gets overpowered with alarming regularity. Good example right here. He was beaten badly up the middle in the first series of the first pre-season game. There should be a lot of pressure up the middle all year. Couple that with the certain pressure that will come from the right side and Griffin will be getting hit a lot. He already struggles getting through his reads. 

Coleman is a rookie and Gordon won't be back until week 5 and probably won't be right until week 7 or 8. 

I am definitely not excited about this offense.
I get your point, it's valid, however, there will be fantasy goodness even from bad teams and there are a couple of players that will likely provide some goodness from this offense.

Brown's should have went after Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Why? The browns aren't contending this year. Might as well see if you can fix a former top pick in a rebuilding year. Thats the reason hes starting over mccown. Seeing what they have in rg3, and the rest of the team, is more important than winning right now

Why? The browns aren't contending this year. Might as well see if you can fix a former top pick in a rebuilding year. Thats the reason hes starting over mccown. Seeing what they have in rg3, and the rest of the team, is more important than winning right now
Because selfishly from an FF standpoint this team is not far away. They would have been fun to watch with Fitz, Coleman, Gordon, Pryor, Hawkins, Barnbridge, Duke.

It is preseason. When the real bullets fly even Hue won't be able to mask all of his issues. He panics when the pocket collapses and has trouble with his progressions. Hue will have to be a genius with play calling to cover these problems.

Looking good so far this preseason, only knock that ive been seeing is that he seems to be zeroing in a little on his receivers. 

If the guy can make a couple designed scrambles and continue to slide and not take punishment then it forces the safety to stay home and opens up the deep ball.

RG III in a post-game interview hits the right notes on where his head is at but also explains the interception last week and how everything works when the offensive linemen open holes which opens up backside running plays which open up the deep ball.

He always has a solid media presence but looked especially impressive here due to the fact he just got divorced and took heat last week.

LINK to short post-game RG III interview.

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/766640381173833728

Cleveland Browns ‏@Browns  26m26 minutes ago
“You can see what we can do when we’re clicking.” 1-on-1 with QB @RGIII:

As a Skins fan, I've watched RG3 plenty.  I heard they had him running the read-option on several plays last night.  If that is truly the direction they're taking him in Cleveland, buy him at or above his current price.  He might not hold up all season, but the guy can read the rush and operate the read option really well.  Also has a sneaky effective play action and the arm to get it deep.  As a read-option QB, he can be a very effective fantasy QB.  Injury is the only thing that will derail him.

If they're going to force him to be a pocket passer, he will fail.  He simply cannot read pass coverage fast enough and probably never will.

So, it really depends on what kind of offense they're building around him.  Here in DC after his rookie year he pretty much refused to be a read option QB, he fancied himself a pocket passer.  Did he finally wake up and realize he is what he is (possibly the best read option QB of all time)?  For his sake I hope he did, even though he is a complete diva, wish him the best and hope he gets out of his own way to become the player he is meant to be.

It is preseason. When the real bullets fly even Hue won't be able to mask all of his issues. He panics when the pocket collapses and has trouble with his progressions. Hue will have to be a genius with play calling to cover these problems.
He can succeed running the read option, that is until he gets injured, which is inevitable.

Fantasy wise I plan on drafting him very late if he's around and trading him after his hot start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earlier this week on the Junkies (DC radio) it was mentioned how Hue Jackson has made RG3 his personal project and he's very personally invested in trying to ensure he succeeds (above and beyond what you'd expect, obviously every head coach wants his starting QB to be good).

Good to see him sliding some, he has always been so bad at protecting himself when he runs. We'll see if this actually works out but he's great to watch when he plays like he did last night, he's really capable of some great throws.

It's sort of funny seeing the same old tired cliches repeated time and time again. People want to be so right about him failing that they refuse to consider Hue may have a clue what he is doing and tailor an offense to RGIII's skill-set. The whole parroting thing is just getting old.

It's sort of funny seeing the same old tired cliches repeated time and time again. People want to be so right about him failing that they refuse to consider Hue may have a clue what he is doing and tailor an offense to RGIII's skill-set. The whole parroting thing is just getting old.
The Shanahan's tailored an offense to fit RG3 in 2012 and he was amazing so it isn't like Hugh Jackson is some sort of genius and has an original idea. 

Robert has always been able to run the 50 series.  What changed was him and his daddy dictating what they would run and wouldn't run in 2013.  Robert single-handedly held the Redskins hostage with his pompous, overconfident attitude  and his fantasy that he was going to be Joe Montana before he was ready.  

Robert may have humbled himself and realized what he is and his limitations are but nothing will prevent the inevitable, and that's him getting hurt. He doesn't have an NFL body to play the position. 

On top of that, teams have learned that all they have to do is blitz and cover the tight end or the crossing routes he holds the ball too long or runs.  Checkmate. 

The Shanahan's tailored an offense to fit RG3 in 2012 and he was amazing so it isn't like Hugh Jackson is some sort of genius and has an original idea. 

Robert has always been able to run the 50 series.  What changed was him and his daddy dictating what they would run and wouldn't run in 2013.  Robert single-handedly held the Redskins hostage with his pompous, overconfident attitude  and his fantasy that he was going to be Joe Montana before he was ready.  

Robert may have humbled himself and realized what he is and his limitations are but nothing will prevent the inevitable, and that's him getting hurt. He doesn't have an NFL body to play the position. 

On top of that, teams have learned that all they have to do is blitz and cover the tight end or the crossing routes he holds the ball too long or runs.  Checkmate. 
Like I said....

Like I said....
So you disagree?

You can check my posts in the RGIII threads back in 2012 and I was saying the same things. I was lambasted for it and now EVERYONE is saying what I said so yeah, I can understand how it can be annoying.

Annoying but still  the truth.

One difference compared to his rookie season, a WR duo of Gordon and Coleman holds the potential of being much more explosive and dangerous. If that is improved, he won't NECESSARILY be doomed to fail for the same reasons as he did before, if there are material differences in his circumstances (learning to slide would be another improvement).

I think it is time.

• Hue Jackson
  • Gary Barnidge
  • Corey Coleman
  • Terrell Pryor
  • Duke Johnson
  • Josh Gordon
Joe Thomas hasn't played in the preseason but the offensive line has improved, even center Camereon Irving is starting to progress.

I think RG III has a legit chance to turn in respectable fantasy numbers.  He has consistently ranked low but recent reviews are pointing upward.  Even Cosell has backtracked off his harsh assessment.

Cossell shows how Jackson has Griffin making simple reads that require good execution from RG III.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/greg-cosells-qb-study-the-plan-to-turn-around-robert-griffin-183713710.html

... Jackson was dealing with a quarterback who had a track record of staying in the pocket too long, waiting too long to see the throw and taking too many hits. Griffin also had issues making reads and getting the ball out on time. Jackson, for the most part, was starting over with Griffin.

We saw in Cleveland’s second preseason game how Jackson can help turn Griffin things around. Griffin had a good game against the Atlanta Falcons, a positive for him going forward.

Jackson will do many of the same things with Griffin that he did with Andy Dalton when Jackson was the Cincinnati Bengals’ offensive coordinator. There will be clearly defined route concepts. He wants quick timing throws to get the ball out. He wants defined reads for Griffin, so he’s not standing in the pocket waiting for things to develop. Jackson wants him to see things quickly and get it out so he doesn’t get hit.

Others are noticing that Griffin is rounding into shape.

This is a report of RG III making check downs from the recent scrimmages with the Bucs.http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/_/id/1840/hue-jackson-who-loves-the-long-ball-was-excited-about-a-checkdown-pass-from-robert-griffin-iii

Progress: On the second day of joint practices with the Buccaneeers, Robert Griffin III didn’t have a particularly great throwing day. But there was a simple checkdown to tight end Randall Telfer in a 7-on-7 red zone drill that excited coach Hue Jackson. The memory of RG3’s interception at the goal line in Green Bay is indelible with Jackson and he cited the little checkdown as a point of progress in Griffin’s development.

...  “It’s funny ‘cuz you can throw a checkdown and the coach will go berserk,” Griffin said. “And you throw an 80-yard bomb and he’s like, ‘OK, next play, guys.’ It’s all about understanding the process. A checkdown sometimes can be the best throw because it’s the only throw you need to make at that moment. Coach has been hard on myself and the rest of the quarterbacks to make sure we make the right decisions.”

RG III has made progress and his WRs are coming together but something 'could' be different with the Browns WRs.

There have been fast WRs and there have been big WRs and there even have been some big and fast WRs but we haven't seen two, big, fast, and strong WRs like Josh Gordon and Terrell Pryor before factoring in a speedy and explosive guy like Corey Coleman added to a Pro Bowl TE in Gary Barnidge.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/08/browns_twin_terrors_josh_gordo.html

The Browns will have to wait until Week 5 to spring their Twin Terrors on the Patriots, but the duo of Josh Gordon and Terrelle Pryor lined up together a lot in the first joint practice against the Bucs Tuesday. It promises to be a matchup nightmare.

"Most definitely,'' said the 6-3 Gordon, who's drawn interest from multiple teams, but isn't going to be traded, a team source told cleveland.com. "You don't see too many DBs over 6-2, so it's definitely a size advantage, that's for sure.''

Gordon and the 6-4 Pryor have dreamed of this day since last summer when they were working out together at the Randy Moss Academy in North Carolina.

"We talked about it, thought about it, didn't know how long he was going to stay in Cleveland or what-not, but it ended up working out him staying and developing into such a great receiver and I think he can only get better,'' said Gordon. "I'm excited, he's excited and it really is a dream come true, because we never thought that that would happen.

"We've got great talent. Corey (Coleman) is coming back. He'll be back (Wednesday) full go. (Andrew Hawkins is) coming back. We're starting to get our guys back. So it's exciting.''

..."They're just really big dudes that can go vertical,'' Haden said. "If you have vertical threats, guys that can take the top off, it takes a safety out of the box. You can't lean the safety over to (Gordon) 'cause then T.P.'s running the fade to the other side. So it just puts a lot of pressure on the defense to not be able to lean to a side and not be able to stack the box because when you've got guys 6-4, running 4.3s on the outside, you've kind of got to pay attention to him."

Cornerback Jamar Taylor has learned in practice how tough it is to cover the pair.

"Those dudes man, it's kind of crazy because I was in college when Josh first got into the league, so to see a guy like that dominate and he's been back for the past couple of days and he's been dominant,'' said Taylor. "He's going to be a (terror). Being out for a couple of years, he has that chip on his shoulder and then Terrelle kind of coming into that new role, he's been doing a great, great job. And both of those guys are big, so you have to worry about speed and them being big and they're physical.''

When Coleman is healthy, he might be used in the slot with Gordon and Pryor on the outside.

"They could be all over the place,'' said Jackson. "I think you guys know me. I come up with all these crazy dreams and I'll put these guys all over the place. They might be playing tackle someday, you never know. Those guys afford us an opportunity to do a lot of different things. We're just scratching the surface because we have to keep them all out there. They're a talented trio."

Gordon, who played in a version of this offense in 2013 when he led the league with 1,646 yards, can see the possibilities.

"We see a bright future,'' he said. "We envision a lot of downfield passing, that's for sure.

... We've got the ability and the talent to stretch the field in every direction.''

Add it all up and it is time to note RG III 'could' have a solid fantasy season, or even a good one.

Weird how Griffin is absorbing coaching now that he's been humbled a bit and forced to, you know, learn how to play football.

Alright, I could have typed that with less salt...I don't hate the guy, its just frustrating that so many of his issues in Washington, the city that trusted him with the franchise, were of his own making, whether he realized it or not. Not entirely his fault, the expectations in D.C. were stupid, especially after his rookie year. And then the injuries. And Snyder indulging his stardom. And Shanahan being a ####. A lot went wrong on the team's side as well, I'm no dummy, I know that. But Griffin was his own worst enemy a lot in Washington. 

I think being a top-3 pick was the worst thing that could have happened to him, really. Would have probably never had some of the issues he had if he came in with a chip on his shoulder and no guarantees as a 2nd-3rd round QB who had to be a coach's pet, live in the film room, prove himself before he ever was handed a starting job. 

RG3? I would like to think so. Hue catering to his skillset. 2 #1 WRs and a pure deep threat in Pryor...

If he can't do it w that, his career is absolutely toast.
Ok. I'm coming around. The weapons look excellent although I'm skeptical about Cam Erving. Things went well in the 2nd PRE-SEASON game but he is a question mark and now has a sprained ankle. Not sure about right tackle either or the right side in general for that matter. The schedule appears decent but a closer look reveals plenty of salty interior rushers early and often.

Also, remember, Griffin was QB9 (QB5 fppg) his rookie season on the strength of 800+ yds and 7 tds running the ball. Think we all know how that season ended. 

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of Griffin rebounding but will he provide suitable value without either running a ton and will he survive that? The slide looks good so far.

Weird how Griffin is absorbing coaching now that he's been humbled a bit and forced to, you know, learn how to play football.

Alright, I could have typed that with less salt...I don't hate the guy, its just frustrating that so many of his issues in Washington, the city that trusted him with the franchise, were of his own making, whether he realized it or not. Not entirely his fault, the expectations in D.C. were stupid, especially after his rookie year. And then the injuries. And Snyder indulging his stardom. And Shanahan being a ####. A lot went wrong on the team's side as well, I'm no dummy, I know that. But Griffin was his own worst enemy a lot in Washington. 

I think being a top-3 pick was the worst thing that could have happened to him, really. Would have probably never had some of the issues he had if he came in with a chip on his shoulder and no guarantees as a 2nd-3rd round QB who had to be a coach's pet, live in the film room, prove himself before he ever was handed a starting job. 
I knew when he was blaming everybody else in interviews when things went wrong in a game he was lost. If he does #### like that in Cleveland he'll lose the team quickly. 

In deep leagues or start 2 QB leagues I really like him at his current ADP...with Coleman/Gordon/Barnidge...there could be some very cheap upside here. 

His ADP is practically free at this point.
This is basically where I am at with

We only start one but I like along with Fitz or Osweiller around the 15th/16th IF I go early with QB & take Bortles in the 6th. 

Feels so weird to think the Browns have a shot at being legit. Lot of weapons.

This is basically where I am at with

We only start one but I like along with Fitz or Osweiller around the 15th/16th IF I go early with QB & take Bortles in the 6th. 

Feels so weird to think the Browns have a shot at being legit. Lot of weapons.
His ADP has skyrocketed since I wrote that post 19 days ago, but there is likely still value there in most leagues.  If he has a big week 3, the value could be lost in some leagues.

Defense looks like poo, for now. RG3 gonna be airing out the ball, a lot

Plenty of room for both gordon and coleman to put up big #s

His ADP has skyrocketed since I wrote that post 19 days ago, but there is likely still value there in most leagues.  If he has a big week 3, the value could be lost in some leagues.
Has it? I mock a lot & he always goes undrafted. Our redraft is 18 rounds, probably get him on the 14-15 sequence in my league.

Then again I'm seeing a lot of deviation with certain players the last few days as move closer to draft weekend (majority or at least a plurality of redraft are the week before Labor Day.) Gotta pay attention to those last minute trends so you don't get sniped.

Users who are viewing this thread