What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Robert Griffin III - RGIII RG3 (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Redskins coach Jay Gruden declared Robert Griffin III his starting quarterback on Thursday.
"Robert Griffin III is the starter," Gruden said in a radio interview. "There will be no competition." Kirk Cousins' poor play down the stretch made that obvious, but it would have been a controversy in Washington had Gruden not showered praise on his quarterback. 100 percent healthy with a full offseason to pick up the nuances of his new offense, RGIII is a major bounce-back candidate for 2014. He's going to be throwing a lot in Gruden's West Coast system, and though his designed runs will be curtailed, it's not as if Griffin will never leave the pocket.

Related: Kirk Cousins

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Rotoworld:

New coach Jay Gruden said he will take advantage of Robert Griffin III's skills as a runner.

Back in the 2011 draft, Gruden pushed for the Bengals to pass on Colin Kaepernick in favor of Andy Dalton because he wasn't "into the read-option stuff." He's since changed his tune. "I would be foolish to try to turn RG3 into a pocket passer. It would be foolish," Gruden said. "The way he is as a runner, we have to take advantage of that. He strikes fear into defensive coordinators when he runs outside. I'm going to let him be himself." By the time Week 1 rolls around, Griffin will be roughly 21 months removed from his ACL surgery. He projects to record far more than the 37.6 rushing yards and zero rushing touchdowns he produced in 2013.

Source: SI.com

Over/Under RG3 plays in 13 games this year....

Im going Under.

Gruden used Dalton to run quite a bit and he is far from a running QB, I would bet he has RG3 run a whole lot more with more chances of getting injured.

I'll take the over. He would have played 16 this past season if his ####ty coach hadn't benched him to piss off the owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take the over. He would have played 16 this past season if his ####ty coach hadn't benched him to piss off the owner.
He might have played 16 this past season, but that was under Shanahan and they were protecting him with less runs than his rookie year. Gruden runs his offense different and RG3 is another year past his initial injury.

Over/Under RG3 plays in 13 games this year....

Im going Under.

Gruden used Dalton to run quite a bit and he is far from a running QB, I would bet he has RG3 run a whole lot more with more chances of getting injured.
If Cornball runs as much as his rookie season 10-12 games will be his max. Griffin is no Newton or CK who are built to take the punishment. Even Newton got beat up by SF, they would dismember Griffin.

They better keep Cousins prepared.

He might have played 16 this past season, but that was under Shanahan and they were protecting him with less runs than his rookie year. Gruden runs his offense different and RG3 is another year past his initial injury.
Gruden doesn't have a set offense. He's already said he's going to do what the players do best. His OC says they're going to use the same basic running scheme they used the last 2 years.

lol at Da Guru still trying to get a rise out of people with the "cornball" stuff that keeps failing. :lmao:

Tarkenton & Wilson should be the model for the Skins & Griffin - great defenses & powerful run games while he uses his legs to extend plays and occasionally deflate opponents with big plays. - The Skins appear to be doing the opposite.

fatness said:
Timmay said:
fatness said:
Gruden doesn't have a set offense. He's already said he's going to do what the players do best. His OC says they're going to use the same basic running scheme they used the last 2 years.
Just to flesh out where that came from: http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/4951/mcvay-run-game-will-be-similar

The Redskins obviously haven’t had enough time to put together their playbook -- they'll start going heavy on it after the coaching staff is finalized (the goal, Gruden said, is to have that happen by early next week). But as they continue to discuss how the scheme will look, and the terminology that will be involved, it won’t just be a duplicate of what Gruden did as the offensive coordinator in Cincinnati.

“I don’t think it will change a lot,” new Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay said. “The foundation and base principles will remain the same. Jay does a great job of adjusting to his players. He doesn’t make the player adjust to his scheme.”

That means bootlegs, or keepers, and the outside-zone run game that benefited running back Alfred Morris. He rushed for 2,888 yards in his first two seasons under Shanahan – the Redskins ranked third in yards per carry this season and second in 2012. He’ll continue to be a big part of the offense.

“He’ll be the same guy,” McVay said. “The run game will be very similar.”

Tarkenton & Wilson should be the model for the Skins & Griffin - great defenses & powerful run games while he uses his legs to extend plays and occasionally deflate opponents with big plays. - The Skins appear to be doing the opposite.
Sure thing. The Skins only need what, 8 new starters on D, half of them Pro Bowl caliber, to have a defense as good as Seattle or SF. Other than that, your plan is perfect.

Dalton finished QB12 in 2012 and QB 6 last yr so as a RGIII owner x2 I'm excited about Gruden coming in. Lets face it, Dalton is pretty avg.

Griffin avg about 6.7 runs a game last yr which would of came out to 100 rushing attempts, times that to his 5.5 avg and you got 55 points from the ground... now add in a couple of TDs and thats a good amount of points. As for the injury risk, nothing wrong w/ giving him 90 to 100 attempts a year; his speed shouldn't be overlooked.

do most people still have him in top 10 Dynasty QBs?

1 & 2 is a pick -em (Luck / Cam)

3 Foles - where ever you people have him, he should be top 7

4 Stafford - big season that imploded at the end, new coach makes me feel better

5 - 6 (CK / Wilson) whoever you feel more comfortable with

7 Rodgers - i'm sure many would flip flop Brees and Rodgers but Rodgers is about 5 yrs younger

8 - 10 tricky part since you have the vets in Brady, Manning, Brees, Ryan & Rivers while Dalton had a top 6 season and Tannehill came on later in the yr... I want to place RGIII in that little group of 8 - 10 but its nearly impossible without calling it a reach and passing up on some really good talent.

4 Stafford - big season that imploded at the end, new coach makes me feel better

7 Rodgers - i'm sure many would flip flop Brees and Rodgers but Rodgers is about 5 yrs younger

8 - 10 tricky part since you have the vets in Brady, Manning, Brees, Ryan & Rivers while Dalton had a top 6 season and Tannehill came on later in the yr... I want to place RGIII in that little group of 8 - 10 but its nearly impossible without calling it a reach and passing up on some really good talent.
Aaron Rodgers is hands down the number 1 dynasty QB.People have short memories.

Sure thing. The Skins only need what, 8 new starters on D, half of them Pro Bowl caliber, to have a defense as good as Seattle or SF. Other than that, your plan is perfect.
Good posting!

Role reversal and RG3 is worshipped and Russell Wilson is "overrated."

Good posting!

Role reversal and RG3 is worshipped and Russell Wilson is "overrated."
Yeah, but if the Redskins could have picked up Wilson and Irvin and Bobby Wagner and Percy Harvin and still have their 1st round pick this year and the Seahawks spent all those picks on Griffin, it might not be that much of a role reversal. Heck, Shanahan might still be around.

Dalton finished QB12 in 2012 and QB 6 last yr so as a RGIII owner x2 I'm excited about Gruden coming in. Lets face it, Dalton is pretty avg.

Griffin avg about 6.7 runs a game last yr which would of came out to 100 rushing attempts, times that to his 5.5 avg and you got 55 points from the ground... now add in a couple of TDs and thats a good amount of points. As for the injury risk, nothing wrong w/ giving him 90 to 100 attempts a year; his speed shouldn't be overlooked.
so Washington now has aj green, Marvin jones, Gio Bernard, Tyler eifert, jermaine Gresham, Mohamed sanu, Andrew Hawkins, and a great o line?

no, my memory isn't short, Rodgers owners' rely on TDs more than the avg FF QB due to his low yardage numbers (low for a top 5 QB) and now GB actually has a running game which will take a little slice away from Rodgers' numbers; especially his rushing TDs. IJMO but the guys I listed above him are all between 24 - 26 yrs old and I would take any of them over Aaron.

Heck, Shanahan might still be around.
No, he wouldn't. He was going to do himself in no matter who was on the team. Bad coaching, feeling threatened by good players, bad staff hires, he was toast no matter what.
That was kind of a throw away point at the end of my thought.. if he tried to build a team instead of buy a team he might still be around. Carroll and Shanahan took over bad teams at the same time. One just went 3-13 and one went 13-3.

so Washington now has aj green, Marvin jones, Gio Bernard, Tyler eifert, jermaine Gresham, Mohamed sanu, Andrew Hawkins, and a great o line?
ofcourse they don't have an AJ Green but the other guys you mentioned are more of the result of good coaching. Jones, Sanu, Hawkins, Gresham are really nothing special; Eifert, a guy I drafted in a couple of 1st rounds last summer, didn't produce much. Gio was nice.

Comparsion

ofcourse Garcon isn't AJ Green but hes been pretty impressive since becoming Wash's #1

rest of Wash WRs w/ a FA can be better than the current Cin WRs (Also the Skins have about 30 mil of cap space so they can load up on FA talent this yr.)

Reed / Logan is just as good as Gresham / Eifert (Reed was looking very good before his head injury)

and I'd take Morris / Helu over BGJE / Gio

O-line's can be fixed up with good coaching, we've seen it many times before.

No, he wouldn't. He was going to do himself in no matter who was on the team. Bad coaching, feeling threatened by good players, bad staff hires, he was toast no matter what.
That was kind of a throw away point at the end of my thought.. if he tried to build a team instead of buy a team he might still be around. Carroll and Shanahan took over bad teams at the same time. One just went 3-13 and one went 13-3.
people seem (or choose) not to remember that Carrol and the Seahawks did bring in a lot of FA his 1st couple or yrs; this is the team that gave a 3rd plus and started Charle Whitehurst followed by paying Matt Flynn millions of dollars. Also the Harvin trade so far has been terrible.

The difference here is that Seattle had the b@lls to take Wilson and the brains to play him while the skins had to give up all those 1sts for Griffin

That's the point on which I'm disagreeing with you. Carroll can coach and get the most out of his players. Shanahan cannot.

ofcourse they don't have an AJ Green but the other guys you mentioned are more of the result of good coaching. Jones, Sanu, Hawkins, Gresham are really nothing special; Eifert, a guy I drafted in a couple of 1st rounds last summer, didn't produce much. Gio was nice.Comparsion

ofcourse Garcon isn't AJ Green but hes been pretty impressive since becoming Wash's #1

rest of Wash WRs w/ a FA can be better than the current Cin WRs (Also the Skins have about 30 mil of cap space so they can load up on FA talent this yr.)

Reed / Logan is just as good as Gresham / Eifert (Reed was looking very good before his head injury)

and I'd take Morris / Helu over BGJE / Gio

O-line's can be fixed up with good coaching, we've seen it many times before.
youre under estimating those weapons and giving too much credit to Dalton.

no, my memory isn't short, Rodgers owners' rely on TDs more than the avg FF QB due to his low yardage numbers (low for a top 5 QB) and now GB actually has a running game which will take a little slice away from Rodgers' numbers; especially his rushing TDs. IJMO but the guys I listed above him are all between 24 - 26 yrs old and I would take any of them over Aaron.
Typically, in a dynasty league, I look for (AT MOST) a 3-5 year window with a player. Rodgers will be 35 in 5 years, so it's not like he's going to be a "1 more year" type of QB. If you would take guys like Luck, Foles, Stafford, Kaepernick ??????, and Wilson ?????? over Rodgers, I'd love to have you in my league. Luck still has a HC and OC who want to pound the ball. They want that to be their identity. That's not going to change too soon. Luck will continue to get less opportunities to put up FF stats because they won't unleash him until they are down big. Foles is too unproven. He could be great in that offense, but what he did this year could also be a flash in the pan. Stafford is too inconsistent; sure he's put up great numbers, but he was mediocre in every other season. Kaepernick/Wilson? I'm not even going to bother discussing them too much. Look at their attempts; I'm not going to bet on a QB getting low 400 attempts in a season as being a top-5 FF QB.

Typically, in a dynasty league, I look for (AT MOST) a 3-5 year window with a player. Rodgers will be 35 in 5 years, so it's not like he's going to be a "1 more year" type of QB. If you would take guys like Luck, Foles, Stafford, Kaepernick ??????, and Wilson ?????? over Rodgers, I'd love to have you in my league. Luck still has a HC and OC who want to pound the ball. They want that to be their identity. That's not going to change too soon. Luck will continue to get less opportunities to put up FF stats because they won't unleash him until they are down big. Foles is too unproven. He could be great in that offense, but what he did this year could also be a flash in the pan. Stafford is too inconsistent; sure he's put up great numbers, but he was mediocre in every other season. Kaepernick/Wilson? I'm not even going to bother discussing them too much. Look at their attempts; I'm not going to be on a QB getting low 400 attempts in a season as being a top-5 FF QB.
somuchthis.

I still think RG3 is a top 10 QB going forward. What did you see from Wilson/Kapernick that suggests RG3 should be ranked way behind them? Through 13 games this year, RG3 was right there stat wise with Wilson, Luck and Kapernick. And that was with him having a bad year. So I'm not sure why all of a suddent Kaepernick is a top 5 QB but RG3 isn't even top 10.

I still think RG3 is a top 10 QB going forward. What did you see from Wilson/Kapernick that suggests RG3 should be ranked way behind them? Through 13 games this year, RG3 was right there stat wise with Wilson, Luck and Kapernick. And that was with him having a bad year. So I'm not sure why all of a suddent Kaepernick is a top 5 QB but RG3 isn't even top 10.
a loss of confidence in RGIII while CK / Wilson are being held back by their coaches. Also RGIII has the injury concerns.

a loss of confidence in RGIII while CK / Wilson are being held back by their coaches. Also RGIII has the injury concerns.
Couple of things:

1-Kaepernick and Wilson's coaches aren't going anywhere soon, so if you think they were being "held back" by their coaches, why would you expect that to change?

2-Kaepernick wasn't being held back, he regressed. Lower YPA, lower completion %, lower QB rating, higher INT ratio, lower YPC when rushing, lower rushing TD ratio, more fumbles. The only area he progressed in was a slightly higher TD ratio.

3-RGIII has what injury concerns? He tore up his knee. Plenty of players have done that. With modern medical knowledge/technique, that usually isn't a death toll for a player's career.

Your reasons for having RGIII drastically behind Kaepernick and Wilson (especially Kaep) don't make sense.

Good article on Gruden and Griffin by John Keim, a reliable Redskin beat reporter now working for ESPN.

Gruden made it clear the day he was hired that he liked the zone read-option, so obviously he wants Griffin to use his legs. And Gruden's agent, Bob LaMonte, stressed after Gruden was hired that a big reason for his excitement was Griffin’s ability to be dynamic. That doesn’t mean just throwing the ball. So there wasn’t much doubt how Gruden would want to use Griffin. Just in case, though, he went a little further in a story for Sports Illustrated’s Monday Morning Quarterback.

“I worked with Andy Dalton for three years in Cincinnati, and built a foundation of concepts and protections that I think worked well with him,” Gruden told MMQB. “With Robert, we’ll obviously use his skill set differently. When it comes to the quarterback position, my job is to make him comfortable and productive. I’m not going to try to turn RG3 into Andy Dalton or Drew Brees. He isn’t them. They’re not him. I would be foolish to try to turn RG3 into a pocket passer. It would be foolish. The way he is as a runner, we have to take advantage of that. He strikes fear into defensive coordinators when he runs outside. I’m going to let him be himself.”
There's a lot more to the article than that selection.

The more I read about Gruden, the more I like him. Sounds like he isn't going to make RG3 just sit back there in the pocket. No point in putting a square peg in a round hole. Work to RG3's strengths.

It's just as hard to put together a Seattle or SF like D as it is to find a real franchise QB.

ESPN's Louis Riddick "would not be surprised to see" Robert Griffin III "become a guy who never fully realizes or meets the expectations and is looked back on in disgust."
Strong words. However, Riddick is on the fence with RGIII, characterizing his long-term expectations for the third-year quarterback as "lukewarm." Riddick, a former scout and personnel man in the NFL, continued, "From what I've seen and know and what I've heard, I think it could really go either way with him." RGIII has taken his fair share of heat since Week 1 of last season, but he needs to get 100 percent healthy first before we can truly project his future. RGIII has a big arm, can throw the deep ball, sports plus athleticism, but needs to fine-tune his mechanics and his accuracy. New Redskins coach got the most out of Andy Dalton, and Griffin is lightyears better. We still remain high on RGIII.

Rotoworld:

Robert Griffin III - QB - Redskins

Redskins coach Jay Gruden promises to fit his offense to his personnel, and that he's "not going to force-feed an offense down anybody's (throat)."

In other words, just because Gruden didn't coach a dual-threat quarterback in Cincinnati doesn't mean he's not going to adapt to one in Washington. It's refreshing to hear a coach publicly promise not to adopt a square peg/round hole philosophy. Too many NFL coaches try to fit their players to their scheme instead of vice versa. Gruden is not the most imaginative offensive mind, but he's clearly approaching his new gig with an open mind.

Source: Redskins on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Robert Griffin III said he will not wear a knee brace this season.
The bulky brace Griffin lugged around throughout the 2013 season appeared to really limit him. He rushed for just 489 yards and zero touchdowns, often lacking the explosive edge speed we saw during his rookie campaign. When Week 1 comes around this year, he'll be roughly 20 months removed from his ACL tear and primed for a bounce-back under Jay Gruden.

Source: CSN Washington
WR Andre Roberts said one of the reasons he signed with the Redskins was because he expects a pass-centric offense.
Under the Shanahan & Son offense, the Redskins ideally were a run-based team. They ranked 3rd in rushing attempts in 2012 and only sunk to 13th in 2013 because they trailed so much. New coach Jay Gruden allowed Andy Dalton to chuck it 586 times last year, so we know his scheme is going to highlight Robert Griffin III. Alfred Morris will remain effective, but his touch count projects to tail off toward the 250 mark. Roy Helu and Chris Thompson are better in the passing game.

Related: Andre Roberts

Source: ESPN.com

Griffin and many of the Redskin WR's, TE's, and RB's are going to Arizona for a week (next week) for a passing camp.

Good that the new guys are coming too
Yeah, it is.

Redskins wide receivers Pierre Garcon, Aldrick Robinson, Santana Moss, and new additions Andre Roberts and David Gettis will make the trip. The group also includes tight end Jordan Reed and running backs Alfred Morris, Evan Royster and Chris Thompson.

Wide receiver Josh Morgan, who is a free agent and has yet to re-sign with Washington or catch on with any other team, also will join Griffin & Co. Morgan hopes to re-sign with Washington, but thus far, the team and his representatives haven’t held negotiations on a new deal, a person with knowledge of the situation said.

The players will spend the week working at a training facility in Phoenix.

This marks the first time since the summer leading up to Griffin’s rookie year that he and his pass-catchers have held their own passing camp. That year he hosted receivers in Waco, Texas.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/03/17/rgiii-pass-catchers-to-train-in-phoenix-next-week/

fatness said:
msommer said:
Good that the new guys are coming too
Yeah, it is.

Redskins wide receivers Pierre Garcon, Aldrick Robinson, Santana Moss, and new additions Andre Roberts and David Gettis will make the trip. The group also includes tight end Jordan Reed and running backs Alfred Morris, Evan Royster and Chris Thompson.

Wide receiver Josh Morgan, who is a free agent and has yet to re-sign with Washington or catch on with any other team, also will join Griffin & Co. Morgan hopes to re-sign with Washington, but thus far, the team and his representatives haven’t held negotiations on a new deal, a person with knowledge of the situation said.

The players will spend the week working at a training facility in Phoenix.

This marks the first time since the summer leading up to Griffin’s rookie year that he and his pass-catchers have held their own passing camp. That year he hosted receivers in Waco, Texas.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/03/17/rgiii-pass-catchers-to-train-in-phoenix-next-week/
Weird that Helu isn't going, since he's the one most likely to be facing some kind of competition for a passing-back role this year.

RG3: DeSean Jackson is my kind of guyPosted by Michael David Smith on April 1, 2014, 5:32 PM EDT

If free agent receiver DeSean Jackson ends up in Washington, quarterback Robert Griffin III will welcome him with open arms.

Griffin told ESPN that Jackson is just the type of player he would love to see added to his receiving corps.

Very exciting player. Determined to show he is the best and hungry to win. My kinda guy,” Griffin said.

Jackson was in Washington for a meeting with the team today, and Griffin reportedly spent time with Jackson in Los Angeles over the weekend. An offense with Griffin passing to Jackson and Pierre Garcon, and handing off to Alfred Morris, would be the kind of talent at the skill positions that Washington hasn’t seen in a long time.

RGIII on DJax signing: 'We haven't won anything yet'By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

DeSean Jackson's arrival in Washington offers the Redskins the potential to become one of football's top offenses in 2014.

Potential is the key word there. Nothing has been accomplished yet, and Robert Griffin III wants Redskins fans to keep that in mind in the afterglow of DJax's arrival.

"It's an exciting time to be a Redskins fan and a part of this team because of the firepower that we have," Griffin said, according to Mike Jones of The Washington Post. "Everyone needs to understand that we haven't won anything yet, and these next few months will be about building those bonds and chemistry so that we can."

Griffin knows all about the dangers of unrealistic expectations. The quarterback was chewed up and spit out by the hype machine in 2013 -- a wheezing contraption Griffin helped fuel with jumping jacks, Operation Patience et al.

That said, it will be hard for Redskins fans not to salivate at the thought of what a healthy, knee-brace-free Griffin can do with an offense that already included NFL receptions leader Pierre Garcon, star rusher Alfred Morris, fresh import Andre Roberts and on-the-rise tight end Jordan Reed.

Now add Jackson, one of the game's most gifted playmakers.

"We are excited to have him join our team. Our team and this city will be there for him," Griffin said. "I understand his drive and his competitiveness to win. Always doing it for his dad (Bill Jackson, who died of pancreatic cancer in 2009), and now doing it for this city."

As Chris Wesseling wrote Tuesday, no one stands to gain more from the arrival of Jackson than Griffin himself. Health, new coaching and a dynamic supporting cast makes him an early favorite for Comeback Player of the Year honors.

In the latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast" the guys do the news, open the mailbag and play "Win Wess' Toaster."

Users who are viewing this thread