What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Path of Exile (free to play & now on Xbone) (3 Viewers)

My only major gripe is looting. You have to get near it, then scroll up or down to pick what you want. No chance I would play on free for all. 
hmm, not sure I can picture that.  I assumed it would be like diablo 3 on console where you simply "run over item and click it" to pick it up.  That scrolling sounds slow if I am picturing it correctly.

you can do that. however as you know a TON of white trash drops. So if there is a pile of crap and a scroll in the center, you need to stand close and then scroll up/down with either the + button or R stick to get the one you want and then press A. It treats the loot as if its in an exact line as it lays scattered and you can go up and down it

you can do that. however as you know a TON of white trash drops. So if there is a pile of crap and a scroll in the center, you need to stand close and then scroll up/down with either the + button or R stick to get the one you want and then press A. It treats the loot as if its in an exact line as it lays scattered and you can go up and down it
oh that is right, the console does not yet have the loot filter.  When you get that, it will make things much nicer.  It was a massive improvement for the PC when introduced.

Working my way through this thread for some help as I begin this game on XB1.  One question, after playing briefly this morning; the rating was M and one of the items listed was nudity.  Are there cut scenes in the future.  I'm curious where the nudity would come in as my kids might get into the game.

Working my way through this thread for some help as I begin this game on XB1.  One question, after playing briefly this morning; the rating was M and one of the items listed was nudity.  Are there cut scenes in the future.  I'm curious where the nudity would come in as my kids might get into the game.
There are no cut scenes in per say in POE.

The "nudity" is not sexualized from my memory.  It is things like statues and various works of art in the game.  I don't recall any character themselves nude.

Things like this

http://imgur.com/NT38l6y

Some enemies and statues have visible genetalia and breasts. Pretty low key though.

That being said, i would think the dead babies, piles of corpses, literal lakes and rivers of blood and countless mutilated bodies could be a concern.

Anyone playing this on XB1?  For some reason I can't figure out, the sound shuts off as soon as I load a game, sometimes sooner.  The intro music starts, then turns silent pretty quickly.  No sound during the game???

Bull Dozier said:
Anyone playing this on XB1?  For some reason I can't figure out, the sound shuts off as soon as I load a game, sometimes sooner.  The intro music starts, then turns silent pretty quickly.  No sound during the game???
This was a bug in the beta too. Unfortunately not fixed yet.

I don't know about all headsets, however for mine, if I plug in the USB and green headset jack into the tv, and plug the other end into my controller, the sound works out of both the headset and the tv. So I just lay the headset down and use the tv sound, or mute the t.v. and use the headset 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on xbox and trying a sunder berserker build I found online. It's amazing how endless the possibilies are to customize a character to your liking

As you guys are progressing, make sure you do any and all Master Missions you find.  When you do enough of them, you get to start building your hideout which is very cool and convenient for your character.

Here is an example of one of a ton of different hideout you can eventually create

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZi6O7fm_dM
Wow....

Quick question. What happened to the "join a party" board? I was looking to join one but now its a trading board. 

I'm quickly learning this game requires far more homework and reading than I enjoy from my hack n slashes.  I'm going to keep bumbling through and just see what happens.

Quick question. What happened to the "join a party" board? I was looking to join one but now its a trading board. 
I can't speak for the console but on the PC there are two boards in each town.

1) Event Noticeboard

2) Noticeboard

It is in the second where you can pick join a party.  

Alternatively, if you're on pc, if you press S to open your social menu, there are 4 tabs, Friends - Guild - Create A Party - Public Parties.

The Public parties tab is the same as the noticeboard.

I'm quickly learning this game requires far more homework and reading than I enjoy from my hack n slashes.  I'm going to keep bumbling through and just see what happens.
go as far as you can with this character, it will almost certainly suck, then dump and and follow a guide once you know a little of the game mechanics.

I know I have mentioned it before but you really should watch the short vids I posted.  Just watch them on your phone while taking a dump.  They will teach you a ton in a very short amount of time.

Not gonna speak for others, but the biggest thing that appealed to me about Diablo 2, and absolutely Path of Exile has mastered it, is being able to breakdown and manipulate mechanics to build a character.

Few things more enjoyable in an ARPG to me than watching a build come together.

Not gonna speak for others, but the biggest thing that appealed to me about Diablo 2, and absolutely Path of Exile has mastered it, is being able to breakdown and manipulate mechanics to build a character.

Few things more enjoyable in an ARPG to me than watching a build come together.
how is your frost blade build coming?  Mine is great on power, short on survivability.   I am closing in on level 89 now.

Is there a reason to keep gems you aren't using? Are there any you can't just re-buy from a vendor? And what is the difference between a regular gem and a corrupted one?

Is there a reason to keep gems you aren't using? Are there any you can't just re-buy from a vendor? And what is the difference between a regular gem and a corrupted one?
Corrupted gems if you are lucky can increase the level to 21, or the quality above 20 (21-23), once a gem is corrupted it cannot have quality added to it with a gem cutter prism.  

Odds are that when you use a vaal orb that causes corrupted gems it will "brick" and you will end up with a quality that is permanent below the 20%.   This is why 21/20 gems, and some 20/23 are very expensive due to their rarity.    Some gems are drop only gems, so I would suggest holding on to any gem you find until you decide which ones you need and don't need.  You can get several from the vendors, but not all of them.  

I tend to keep them around unless I have two of them for future builds.  Always keep superior gems in any case for the Gem Cutter recipe*

==========

*For new players who might not know, recipes are certain things you can trade to a vendor to get specific items back.  These are very helpful.  Here is a list of recipes.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system

Seems the game wants me to make an archer, all my decent drops thus far have been for Ranger. I guess I know what class I will be playing next. 

Do you need the hideout before you can make changes to your items?  I tried using some of the orbs to re-color or change the number of sockets, but nothing happens.

Do you need the hideout before you can make changes to your items?  I tried using some of the orbs to re-color or change the number of sockets, but nothing happens.
all you need to do is have the orb in your inventory, select it, the scroll onto the item you want to change (cant be worn) and hit the A button

I was looking at reviews for this game on Steam and found this gem:

"DragonBytes ツ

33 products in account

1 review

Recommended

910.2 hrs on record

POSTED: AUGUST 21

my wife left me"

But yeah this game is pretty dank actually.  I'm impressed with the depth of the leveling system and skilltree.  I only wish there were an easier way to deal with having to constantly recycle/sell loot and manage inventory space.  I went with the witch class.  Any pro tips on what the funnest class is?  

I was looking at reviews for this game on Steam and found this gem:

"DragonBytes ツ

33 products in account

1 review

Recommended

910.2 hrs on record

POSTED: AUGUST 21

my wife left me"

But yeah this game is pretty dank actually.  I'm impressed with the depth of the leveling system and skilltree.  I only wish there were an easier way to deal with having to constantly recycle/sell loot and manage inventory space.  I went with the witch class.  Any pro tips on what the funnest class is?  
They are all fun.  And, now with the ascendancy classes each character can have infinite amount of changes.    My advice is to watch a few videos and get a feel for which type of play style you like and just go with it.  Seriously!  Everyone plays multiple characters because the first one you make is probably going to suck unless you follow  a guide.  Good Luck. 

.  I only wish there were an easier way to deal with having to constantly recycle/sell loot and manage inventory space.    
The game is free to play so if you like it enough, the best way to show support is to purchase items to help your stash.  Getting more tabs and getting the special currency, essence and divinity card tabs are highly recommended.  They won't make your character any better but are fantastic improvements to managing your stash.

all you need to do is have the orb in your inventory, select it, the scroll onto the item you want to change (cant be worn) and hit the A button
This was probably the problem.  I think I was wearing the item I was toying with.

The game is free to play so if you like it enough, the best way to show support is to purchase items to help your stash.  Getting more tabs and getting the special currency, essence and divinity card tabs are highly recommended.  They won't make your character any better but are fantastic improvements to managing your stash.
I assume this means you get upgraded amount of slots of items you can carry?  That would be helpful, as I'm constantly leaving all sorts of loot lying around.  Granted, I'm at level 22 or so now, so I rarely find items that are an improvement over what I have.  Being able to carry stuff back and hoard for my next characters would be helpful though.

Are there strategic benefits to the hideout you get to build, or is it just something fun to play with?  Also, I assume it is a waypoint you can set when you eventually build it?  I have one of the characters half way to level 3, so I hope to have it soon.

Edited to add, my biggest complaint about the game is the map.  I'll have five open missions going on at one point, and have a hard time remembering where everything is that I am supposed to be heading to.  The other complaint is that when returning to a map you have been before, your previously explored areas aren't saved.  I can't remember which character it was but I would wanted for five minutes trying to find her again, all three times I went back to see her.  Wasn't the biggest deal, but if I could open up the map and see exactly where she was (you know, since I have a map in my hand and have been there before so it seems logical), it would be helpful.

Best way to start this game is to browse the class forums for a "starter" or "budget" build that has a main skill that looks like fun to you and just use it as a guide.  The better build guides on the forums will show you how to level your skill tree and what you should do while leveling.  

This was probably the problem.  I think I was wearing the item I was toying with.

I assume this means you get upgraded amount of slots of items you can carry?  That would be helpful, as I'm constantly leaving all sorts of loot lying around.  Granted, I'm at level 22 or so now, so I rarely find items that are an improvement over what I have.  Being able to carry stuff back and hoard for my next characters would be helpful though.

Are there strategic benefits to the hideout you get to build, or is it just something fun to play with?  Also, I assume it is a waypoint you can set when you eventually build it?  I have one of the characters half way to level 3, so I hope to have it soon.

Edited to add, my biggest complaint about the game is the map.  I'll have five open missions going on at one point, and have a hard time remembering where everything is that I am supposed to be heading to.  The other complaint is that when returning to a map you have been before, your previously explored areas aren't saved.  I can't remember which character it was but I would wanted for five minutes trying to find her again, all three times I went back to see her.  Wasn't the biggest deal, but if I could open up the map and see exactly where she was (you know, since I have a map in my hand and have been there before so it seems logical), it would be helpful.
The areas reset every 15 minutes or so. This is great for farming etc (you can also target the zone/door, hit the Y button and reset the map as well).  To see where you need to go for your quests you can stand on a way point and move down the quests that you are currently on and they will highlight the area you need to go. This can also be done from the "world" tab. 

Best way to start this game is to browse the class forums for a "starter" or "budget" build that has a main skill that looks like fun to you and just use it as a guide.  The better build guides on the forums will show you how to level your skill tree and what you should do while leveling.  
I wouldn't even worry about builds until you have a good grasp on the game and some gear/currency to actually develop a specific build. The gear you get while working on your first couple of chars should dictate what you play in the future. IMO trading on the Xbox is going to be a S**** show for a little bit, so I don't think you can depend on that. 

no, the amount you carry never changes.  The upgrades are for your stash.  

Being level 22, don't pick up any whites or blues any more unless you see a red-blue-green socket linked piece, if you do pick it up and trade it to a vendor for a chromatic orb.  It is the easiest recipe in the game and a nice way to build up the important chromatic orbs.

Don't waste time on meaningless loot.  Pick up only yellows and eventually you will be leaving most yellows on ground as well.

The hideout is a convenient area for end game.  It puts a way point on the master map so that you can always access it.  It allows for easy trading, crafting and mapping, which you will be doing constantly at end game.

1) In the main map(not the overlay), you can click on the quest, and it will give you a general path you need to progress to complete it (kind of like a destination)

2) areas resetting is a core mechanic of the game.  The game, like many arpg's, is built around farming and you need areas to reset to farm them over and over again.  You can force a reset or the area will reset on its own if you have not accessed it recently.

I wouldn't even worry about builds until you have a good grasp on the game and some gear/currency to actually develop a specific build. The gear you get while working on your first couple of chars should dictate what you play in the future. IMO trading on the Xbox is going to be a S**** show for a little bit, so I don't think you can depend on that. 
There are great starter builds that do not require expensive or specific uniques at all and those are the ones I recommend targeting.  I picked one like this specifically for the start of this new league.  I'm in the mid 70s now and all of the gear I bought was less than 3-5 chaos total which is easily obtained while leveling, especially with the Harbinger encounters.  

Yes, if you're patient enough, you can struggle through the late game with a bad character build trying to save currency, but there's really no reason to.  

There are great starter builds that do not require expensive or specific uniques at all and those are the ones I recommend targeting.  I picked one like this specifically for the start of this new league.  I'm in the mid 70s now and all of the gear I bought was less than 3-5 chaos total which is easily obtained while leveling.  

Yes, if you're patient enough, you can struggle through the late game with a bad character build trying to save currency, but there's really no reason to.  
I can't imagine being new to the game and going into end game with your first char and hoping its going to do well. 

That's exactly it.  I looked through some that someone (you?) posted earlier in this thread.  It took forever to just read through one of those pages, and there was no way I could compare a few different "cheap" builds to match to how I wanted to play.  I felt like I was reading Moby **** after a while...enough of the details, let's get to the action.

That said, I did watch the videos NewlyRetired posted, and got some quick tips to fix the build I was doing.  I'm probably over leveled for the part of the story I'm at, as I just walk around fireballing everything with one hit without much threat of dying lately.

I can't imagine being new to the game and going into end game with your first char and hoping its going to do well. 
It can if you follow a guide.  Take the popular "pizza sticks" totem build.  It has a very straightforward and newbie friendly playstyle, does not require any uniques to be good, and if you do end up liking it, it can eventually do all the content in the game.  You're infinitely better off following a build like this to start off than trying to figure one out on your own.  

That's exactly it.  I looked through some that someone (you?) posted earlier in this thread.  It took forever to just read through one of those pages, and there was no way I could compare a few different "cheap" builds to match to how I wanted to play.  I felt like I was reading Moby **** after a while...enough of the details, let's get to the action.

That said, I did watch the videos NewlyRetired posted, and got some quick tips to fix the build I was doing.  I'm probably over leveled for the part of the story I'm at, as I just walk around fireballing everything with one hit without much threat of dying lately.
The best way to see if you'll like a build is to skip to the video section and see how it plays.  Most build guides will have videos.  And if a build guide has a leveling section, that's really the only section you need to focus on from levels 1 through about 60-65.  By that point, your grasp of the game should be good enough for the rest of the build to make sense.  

PoE definitely has a large learning curve and requires patience to master, which is why starting with a guide can save you from wasting a lot of time.  

1) In the main map(not the overlay), you can click on the quest, and it will give you a general path you need to progress to complete it (kind of like a destination)

2) areas resetting is a core mechanic of the game.  The game, like many arpg's, is built around farming and you need areas to reset to farm them over and over again.  You can force a reset or the area will reset on its own if you have not accessed it recently.
1) I'm not sure how to "click" on the quest from the console without a cursor/mouse, but I will play with that tonight.  It would be extremely helpful.

2) I get that the areas reset, but why does my map of the explored areas need to reset?  Does the map itself change?  Maybe that explains why I have trouble finding things the second time.

It can if you follow a guide.  Take the popular "pizza sticks" totem build.  It has a very straightforward and newbie friendly playstyle, does not require any uniques to be good, and if you do end up liking it, it can eventually do all the content in the game.  You're infinitely better off following a build like this to start off than trying to figure one out on your own.  
I just disagree. Being new to this game which is pretty unique and complicated I think learning how things work, learning the ins and outs are pretty important. Just going with a "guide" to start takes away quite a bit from what makes the game great. 

Users who are viewing this thread