What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The cocktail thread (1 Viewer)

The Negroni saved the life of Russian dissident Aleksei Navalny who was poisoned by a nerve agent earlier this year.  The poison had been put in his cocktail but...

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2020/12/14/fsb-team-of-chemical-weapon-experts-implicated-in-alexey-navalny-novichok-poisoning/
After several attempts to enjoy the bottle of Campari I had (neat, Negroni, Boulevardier) I gave up and gave what was left to my buddy who's palate is notably different than mine.  He can't stand it either - he keeps threatening to bring it and leave it in my bar when I'm not looking. 

Seems like the Negroni story is too good to be true as Navalny duped a member of the tox team into revealing it was Novichok on Navalny’s underwear that was used on him. 

Going holiday booze shopping today. Any suggestions for a Holiday Cocktail, maybe something with only 4 or so ingredients, in the whiskey or vodka family?

Going holiday booze shopping today. Any suggestions for a Holiday Cocktail, maybe something with only 4 or so ingredients, in the whiskey or vodka family?
Cinnamon, honey, ginger, lemon, whiskey. Would probably work with vodka too. Go easy on the lemon or you'll need more honey. Muddle the ginger in the bottom before adding the rest. Use 2-3 fresh slices IMO. 

seems to be a campari shortage in my neck of the words just when i decided i would try some negronis and boulevadiers at home.

The best substitute i could get was Fernet Branca.  Will this make due or am i setting myself up?

seems to be a campari shortage in my neck of the words just when i decided i would try some negronis and boulevadiers at home.

The best substitute i could get was Fernet Branca.  Will this make due or am i setting myself up?
Fernet is a whole different animal than Campari to me. Different flavor notes and aromatics. Color profiles also wouldn’t mesh. Fernet and Coke is awesome. Fernet neat reminds me of turpentine.

Totally different. I like Fernet neat after a big dinner,  in Coke, and in the Toronto cocktail:

Continuing with whiskey-based cocktails: the Toronto

Rye whiskey (Pikesville) 2 oz

Fernet branca  1/4 oz

Simple syrup 1/4 oz

Orange peel garnsish

Definitely another cold weather cocktail (though we had snow this week and just hitting the 40s today so appropriate). Some other recipes I’ve seen incorporate bitters but I skipped them as Fernet is pretty bitter on its own. I thought this was very herbal with that Fernet menthol aftertaste so would probably either increase the simple syrup or replace the rye with a bourbon to give better balance on next attempt. A nice change up from my usual Manhattan-Boulevardier-Black Manhattan go tos.

I’d guess-

4oz each clamato/tomato juice

2oz vodka 

1 tsp hot sauce

1/2 tsp horseradish 

couple shakes of celery salt

cracked pepper to taste/texture you like...I like more than most

Couple shakes of smoked paprika 
Thanks. Sounds great. 

I would go with Aperol as a replacement if you have it.  It’ll be sweeter but I think work well.

Yeah I was looking for aperol but didn’t see that anywhere either.

not sure why I thought Fernet was a good sub, but looks like a lot of Torontos, fanciullis and hanky pankys coming up.

Anyone have a favorite Christmas cocktail with standardish ingredients?
Little late now, but my wife likes to usually open a bottle of bubbles during the day and I'm not a big fan of champagne so I will often make it into a Champagne Cocktail with brandy, sugar, bitters and a lemon peel twist or cocktail cherry. 

Tried a poinsettia gimlet for the first time the other night. Good stuff.

2 parts gin

2 parts pomegranate juice

1 splash of Sprite

Over ice

I have some great citrus simple syrup from making candied citrus peels for a Christmas pastry. I want to use it in a cocktail for New Years. Any suggestions?

I have some great citrus simple syrup from making candied citrus peels for a Christmas pastry. I want to use it in a cocktail for New Years. Any suggestions?
Maybe just anything using simple and lime/lemon/orange juice and reduce the juice ratios a bit. 

Like maybe a Mai Tai with 1/2 oz of lime juice instead of a full ounce. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is steeped from the peels maybe make a reverse limoncello? Mix it with grain alcohol and serve ice cold as an apertif. 

If it is steeped from the peels maybe make a reverse limoncello? Mix it with grain alcohol and serve ice cold as an apertif. 
Yeah, nevermind. This is a dumb idea. No way simple syrup is going to have the same level of flavor as doing an alcohol extraction.

Ron Swanson said:
Yeah, nevermind. This is a dumb idea. No way simple syrup is going to have the same level of flavor as doing an alcohol extraction.
Yeah I wasn't sure this'd work. I've made limoncello before with everclear. Actually was good but too strong. Should have watered it down a touch. Threw a lot of it out, rather stupidly.

Made a Toronto.

2 oz. rye
1/2 oz. Fernet
1/2 oz. simple syrup
1-2 dashes Angostura bitters

Served over ice. First sip was...rough. Got better as ice melted down a bit. But still, I just don't think I'm a Fernet guy. 

We're going with some Lychee liquer cocktails tonight. Here's an easy one: 

Red Lotus

1.5 oz gin

1.5 oz lychee liquer

1 oz cranberry juice

Made a Toronto.

2 oz. rye
1/2 oz. Fernet
1/2 oz. simple syrup
1-2 dashes Angostura bitters

Served over ice. First sip was...rough. Got better as ice melted down a bit. But still, I just don't think I'm a Fernet guy. 
Not a fan of Fernet.  Bought a bottle years ago for my World Cup cocktails and poured the rest down the drain once Argentina was eliminated.

you should all be ashamed of yourselves.
I’ve been slacking but doing a lot of neat whiskey.  Trying to lose weight and really getting in to bourbon/rye.  But I did make a variation of a Glasgow Mule - basically just the scotch and ginger beer.  Pretty refreshing.

Masala Daisy

1.5 tequila

0.75 lemon juice

1.0 ginger turmeric honey

.5 passionfruit tea float

Idk what I did right or wrong on the float. I did it four times and it worked perfect once, ok once, and like not really twice. I think I did the same thing all four times.

Masala Daisy

1.5 tequila

0.75 lemon juice

Idk what I did right or wrong on the float. I did it four times and it worked perfect once, ok once, and like not really twice. I think I did the same thing all four times.
I suck at the float, but I think I just need to be more patient and use a bottle pourer.

Here's one I've played with recently:

2oz Hendricks gin

2oz Chambord

1/2oz lemon juice

6oz tonic water 

Fresh raspberries and/or blackberries on top 

Making Peacock Tonics tonight: 

2 oz Green Chartreuse

1 oz Gin

1 dash Blue Curaçao 

3 oz tonic

Twist (garnish of lemon peel optional)

Stir and serve on ice. 

ETA: I cut the Chartreuse down to 1 oz and it’s much better imo. Pic

AAABatteries said:
I think it was on How to Drink where I saw Greg pour it off the back of a spoon.  No clue how well that works.
That's what I did! I used a bar spoon, hovered just over the top of the glass, and poured super slowly over the spoon. Like I said, one perfect, one ok, and two meh.

I've got to go do some YTing for more tips or something. 

AAABatteries said:
I think it was on How to Drink where I saw Greg pour it off the back of a spoon.  No clue how well that works.
correct.  my issue is pouring slowly enough over the spoon.  I think I just need to use a spout.

Making Peacock Tonics tonight: 

2 oz Green Chartreuse

1 oz Gin

1 dash Blue Curaçao 

3 oz tonic

Twist (garnish of lemon peel optional)

Stir and serve on ice. 

ETA: I cut the Chartreuse down to 1 oz and it’s much better imo. Pic
good candidate to try and separate the colors here.

Masala Daisy

1.5 tequila

0.75 lemon juice

An odd coincidence, but my wife was just shipped this exact cocktail for a virtual work function.  Gotta work on my float!

I’m looking for some margarita recipes.  Thinking one classic, one fruity and one with maybe jalapeño.  I kind find a million online but curious if any of you have one you recommend.

I’m looking for some margarita recipes.  Thinking one classic, one fruity and one with maybe jalapeño.  I kind find a million online but curious if any of you have one you recommend.
I use the one Binging with Babish has to great success, sometimes muddling things in it before shaking for additional flavors like jalapeno.

Users who are viewing this thread