What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The cocktail thread (1 Viewer)

Had a customer who would come in and always get one of these. Always found it to be a strange cocktail:

Chrysanthemum

2 oz dry vermouth

1 oz benedictine

dash of absinthe or give a chilled glass an absinthe wash

Combine with ice in shaker, stir, strain into chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with orange peel.

Tried a boulevardier last night. Supposedly it is a negroni with rye instead of gin. It was very good.
I had a couple of these over thanksgiving, along with some manhattans. Picked up a bottle of carpano antica vermouth, which I highly recommend.

otello said:
Mr. Ected said:
Here is one, more for the season:

Homemade Bailey's

3 eggs

2T Hershey's Chocolate Syrup

1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 Pint Table Cream (Light Cream)

1 Pint Half & Half

1 Cup Whiskey (to taste ;->)

Blend and chill
Have made this every year just about forever and it is delicious. Can be multiplied easily.
I am going to try this one.
Do it the first time in a blender, then put it in a container you can shake; so you can properly mix it before serving.

We've talked a little about ice balls earlier. My buddy got me a couple ice ball molds for Christmas, and they are very cool.

But this takes it to a whole different level. I HAVE to get one of these.

You can skip to the 2:30 mark if you just want to see coolness in action, but the whole video is pretty cool.
Cross-posting the post from kutta about ice balls.

Last edited by a moderator:
bitters to taste (Angostura is fine. I use Fee Brothers Barrel Aged Bitters or even Cherry bitters if the mood hits)
We could do a whole thread on bitters, right? My favorite is from Urban Moonshine.
I think the cocktail thread can safely handle all bitters discussion without risking blowing up to GMTAN levels.

I had you pegged as the Do It Yourself bitters type of guy. Do you use the Urban Moonshine for any particular drink or just for medicinal purposes like a 19th century throwback?

bitters to taste (Angostura is fine. I use Fee Brothers Barrel Aged Bitters or even Cherry bitters if the mood hits)
We could do a whole thread on bitters, right? My favorite is from Urban Moonshine.
I think the cocktail thread can safely handle all bitters discussion without risking blowing up to GMTAN levels.

I had you pegged as the Do It Yourself bitters type of guy. Do you use the Urban Moonshine for any particular drink or just for medicinal purposes like a 19th century throwback?
I haven't used it in a drink. I do small shots of it. I've tried only the original bitters, not the maple or citrus, but I've also tried each of their tonics, and their Joy Tonic is really fantastic. I'm not sure to what extent it's placebic (and if that's not a word, it should be), but it's acutely uplifting. After doing a shot of that, I tend to raise my arms like I'm signalling a touchdown, and I don't even realize I'm doing it until they're on their way up. It makes me feel like Emily Mortimer just hugged me, or at least what I imagine that would feel like.

I'm intrigued by Mr. Lee's bitters that JW posted.

I need some recommends for a party tomorrow night. We'll be hosting a large crowd for pre-trick-or-treating drinks and food, then going out with the kids for TT, then having the post party that will go into the wee hours. I've been tasked with coming up with something I can do that will be a bit different, but not too complex. I'd like something I can put in a large plastic cup to send out into the streets with folks when they venture out with the kids. Something good for a cold Wisconsin fall evening. I'm thinking whisky or brandy. TIA

I'll keep thinking of others, but one cocktail that I've been enjoying this fall, which you don't see often, is the Rusty Nail. It's just a blended scotch (I like Famous Grouse better than Dewars, but I've also done it with High West Campfire whiskey for a smokier flavor) with Drambuie. As essentially a "sweetened whiskey" cocktail, it tastes like a fancier Old Fashioned. Proportions vary. The original recipe is 1 to 1, but that's really, really sweet. I find it cloying. The most common modern recipe is 4 parts scotch to 1 part Drambuie. I tend to go closer to 3 to 1. Drambuie is also excellent in a cup of hot cider with cinnamon, which your guests might enjoy after coming back from streets.

Another option might be a Vieux Carre. It's generally equal parts rye whiskey, cognac, and sweet vermouth with a splash of Benedictine and healthy doses of both Angostura and Peychoud's bitters.

Fair warning that these are both potent drinks.

I've been trying to look for some cocktails featuring Applejack, which is what I most associate with fall cocktails. The problem is that many of these cocktails require a number of bottles that most typically won't have, but here's a representative cocktail that would look to hit a lot of my favorite notes.

Laird's also has a recipe for making an old fashioned with applejack substituting for the whiskey. I'd imagine you could also experiment a bit with a mix or rye and applejack..

I need some recommends for a party tomorrow night. We'll be hosting a large crowd for pre-trick-or-treating drinks and food, then going out with the kids for TT, then having the post party that will go into the wee hours. I've been tasked with coming up with something I can do that will be a bit different, but not too complex. I'd like something I can put in a large plastic cup to send out into the streets with folks when they venture out with the kids. Something good for a cold Wisconsin fall evening. I'm thinking whisky or brandy. TIA
Black Friday?

I thought for sure I posted one in here that looked great, but now I can't find it. Does anyone have a good bourbon/mint/sweet tea cocktail recipe?

I'm getting hammered on Moscow Mules right now. Came back from Zuma beach for the 4th and broke out the copper mugs. Vodka, fresh lime juice, Bunderberg Ginger beer and mint. Phenomenal summer drink. The copper mugs are a must.

I've got the next 9 days off (look at me!) and wanting to try some season drinks - anybody got any Fall/Thanksgiving drinks they would recommend?  Preferable something not too exotic as I don't want to spend hundreds at the liquor store.

@Ramsay Hunt Experience bat signal activated

Seeing coffee drinks mentioned above, any good ideas outside of the old standard Irish or Mexican coffees?

Did not realize we had this thread.  Bookmarking for later.  Also recently nought Death and Company cocktail book...need to start getting motivated to make some of those.  So much stuff I'll need to stock up on though

I'm getting hammered on Moscow Mules right now. Came back from Zuma beach for the 4th and broke out the copper mugs. Vodka, fresh lime juice, Bunderberg Ginger beer and mint. Phenomenal summer drink. The copper mugs are a must.
I sub the vodka out for Bulleit Bourbon.  Called a Kentucky Mule.  

I've got the next 9 days off (look at me!) and wanting to try some season drinks - anybody got any Fall/Thanksgiving drinks they would recommend?  Preferable something not too exotic as I don't want to spend hundreds at the liquor store.
Here's what I got planned right now:

• Cranberry Gimlets - had a bottle of Gin taking up room in the pantry and I'll get rid of it and be festive at the same time
  • Cranberry Martinis - for the ladies
  • Breckenridge and Four Roses bourbon
  • FIL has some Fireball recipe he's planning  :lmao:

Trying not to be such a fatass, so I'm not partaking at the moment.  But I've always liked spicy whisky cocktails in fall. 

The Tommy Gun is a decent example (and most decently stocked home bars can make it with only a trip to the grocery store).  

I could be persuaded to try this cranberry-themed Manhattan variation.

: Cranberry & Rye

© Carey Jones

Looking for something a little boozier? Try stirring cranberry into this Manhattan variation, the traditional backbone of rye and sweet vermouth enlivened with that sour hit. Nothing says “festive” like the classics. 

Instructions: In a mixing glass with ice, combine 2 ounces of rye (we’re using Redemption Rye here), 1/2 an ounce 100% cranberry juice, and 1/2 an ounce sweet vermouth. Add a 1/4 ounce of simple syrup, a dash of orange bitters, and a dash of Angostura. Stir until well-chilled, then strain into a chilled coupe. Garnish with a thin lemon peel and a cranberry. 

I have a Black Russian variation I call a Siberian Tiger.

2 oz vodka

1/2 oz Kahlua

1/2 oz orange liqueur (Gran Gala is nearly as good as Cointreau and half the price)

Combine in rocks glass, add ice, fill with Coke Zero. Better than it sounds, I swear.

Penicillin Cocktail

3 slices of fresh Ginger

2 oz Dewar’s 

3/4 oz Honey Simple Syrup

3/4 oz fresh squeezed Lemon Juice

1/4 oz Single Malt Scotch from Islay

Muddle the Ginger in a shaker and then add ice and the next three ingredients. Shake and then double strain over fresh ice in a lowball and float the Islay Scotch

Drinking the #### out of these two lately:

Paper Plane

Amaro Nonino is great but unnecessary if you can’t find it.  Any other type does just fine.

Ancho Old Fashioned

I usually sub simple syrup with agave nectar, but just a splash rather than the 1/4 ounce called for. Also go back and forth between tequila and mezcal depending on mood.

Both are super easy to make and nice diversions from the usual suspects  

Last edited by a moderator:
Endless riffing opportunities:

3 parts rye (I like Bulleit; get a handle at Costco for $34 or so)

1 part Antica (get at Costco for $26)

1 part Cointreau, or Grand Marnier, or Luxardo Maraschino (called a Redhook), or yellow Chartreuse (called a Greenpoint)

Dash orange bitters.

Serve over ice, or shake and serve.

Add orange peel and/or Luxardo Cherries (don't eff around with the cheap bings or maraschinos)

Can't wait to try the Paper Plane and the Aviation. :thumbup:

There's so much damn stuff I have to buy to make cocktails 

Think right now Ive bought the following just to make a few drinks

Cynar

Campari 

Green chartreuse 

Luxarado maraschino liquer

Cream de peche

Creme Yvette 

Like 4 different vermouths (blanc, sweet, Rouge and punt e mes)

Always come across some obscure Amaro or liquor I need

There was another cocktail thread here as well..might have been named after whatever the bar in Cocktail was called. I would love them to get merged. I posted some recipes in there.

There's so much damn stuff I have to buy to make cocktails 

Think right now Ive bought the following just to make a few drinks

Cynar

Campari 

Green chartreuse 

Luxarado maraschino liquer

Cream de peche

Creme Yvette 

Like 4 different vermouths (blanc, sweet, Rouge and punt e mes)

Always come across some obscure Amaro or liquor I need
You have Green Chartreuse and Luxardo Maraschino liqueur so I’m hoping you were making The Last Word 

Outstanding list of vermouth cocktails.

I think I'm going to buy a little notebook and write about the different recipes, tweaks, favorites and failures. I keep thinking about the Cheers episode when they spend hours making the perfect drink, only to realize nobody has any idea what's in it.

Yeah, I'm sure there's another cocktail thread somewhere. I'm pretty sure I shared the Corpse Reviver II recipe in there. Outstanding drink.

Users who are viewing this thread