What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The cocktail thread (2 Viewers)

Dan Lambskin said:
Yeah that’s the problem with cocktails.  Plus nothing was really coming to mind.  Might make something tonight 

Larry’s Latest

two hearted

shorts Ten Tickles

Any $20-$25 bottle of bourbon should be fine 

bulleit, 4 roses, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, etc.  

dont think the vermouth brand matters all that much, I usually use dolins or noilly pratt 
Disagree here. The vermouth matters. A lot.  More than the bourbon. Carpano Antica is worth the extra dough. 

Also (semi OT), mix it up a bit by making a Black Manhattan - substitute the vermouth with Amaro. Montenegro a good place to start. 

I have used this mojito recipe from Death and Company quite a bit, it’s good.  It’s such a basic drink that as long as you are using quality ingredients it should come out fine 

6 Mint Leaves
3/4 oz Simple Syrup
2 oz Rum (Death and Co suggests Caña Brava Rum)
1 oz Lime Juice
2 drops of Angostura Bitters

In a shaker, gently muddle the mint and simple syrup. Ad the rest of your ingredients and shake over ice. Pour into a double rocks glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with mint.
The most important part of this recipe is in the context of their instructions. So many people over muddle or over shake. Important to read that part of the book with that recipe. And make sure to strain. Also, I like to add a splash of soda. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Royal Bermuda Yacht Club

2 oz El Dorado 5 year rum

.75 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice

.5 oz Falernum

Dash Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao 

shake all ingredients over ice and shake until chilled and pour into a martini glass. Garnish with a Lime Wheel

That reminds me I bought Cocktail Codex The other day but haven’t had time to sit down and read it.

Smoking some ribs today so it’s the perfect day to browse through it and look at a bunch of great sounding  drinks that I won’t have any of the ingredients for

That reminds me I bought Cocktail Codex The other day but haven’t had time to sit down and read it.

Smoking some ribs today so it’s the perfect day to browse through it and look at a bunch of great sounding  drinks that I won’t have any of the ingredients for
example:

chumrata celery 

toasted bermium seed

dragonfruit

ginger beer only found in New Zealand. 

Sbagliato

1 oz sweet vermouth 

1 oz Comparis

4 oz Prosecco

stir and pour over ice

garnish with orange wedge 

I was just reading something about "congeners" and how you are more likely to have a hangover with bourbon whisky (high levels of congeners) compared to vodka (low levels).  Truth?

Any good, simple 2 or 3 ingredient cocktails made with vodka? 

I was just reading something about "congeners" and how you are more likely to have a hangover with bourbon whisky (high levels of congeners) compared to vodka (low levels).  Truth?

Vodka Madras

2 oz Vodka

3 oz Cranberry

1 oz OJ

lime wedge garnish

pour over ice and stir

Doesn’t get much better than a dirty martini 

What about gin?  Or just sub vodka for gin in any classic cocktail that calls for it

Can't get simpler than a vodka tonic or Moscow Mule.

But I'm a notorious vodka hater, so take it with a grain of salt.

Probably not the first one to concoct this ... but I named it anyway

"The Meatwhistle"

Vodka, Red Bull, Splash of Cran-apple

I have found a difference in my martinis that is significant to me

Stirred is smooth

Shaken hard enough and you get a sort of slushy, totally different texture and feel. 

I can say for sure the shaken martini and the stirred martini are two different cocktails 

I've become a fan of the giant French Kiss:

I fill a large 24oz tervis tumbler with cubes and crushed ice

Vodka 3 parts (about half the glass)

Raspberry Liqueur (I use the di Amore brand, it's much cheaper than Chambord and tastes the same to me) .5 part

Triple Sec .5 part

Pineapple juice to top of glass

Shake it up till good and frothy.

Careful with the raspberry liq- it is extremely sweet. Also great over vanilla ice cream.

I have found a difference in my martinis that is significant to me

Stirred is smooth

Shaken hard enough and you get a sort of slushy, totally different texture and feel. 

I can say for sure the shaken martini and the stirred martini are two different cocktails 
Thanks, James

Bought a bottle of Amaro Nonino last weekend and made these last weekend, everyone loved them - my new favorite.
pretty sure i had this one straight last weekend at a restaurant.  Went to an italian joint with like 25 amaros and just asked the waitress to recommend one. 

Long Ball Larry said:
pretty sure i had this one straight last weekend at a restaurant.  Went to an italian joint with like 25 amaros and just asked the waitress to recommend one. 
Pro tip - Amari 

Won a cocktail contest with friends with this recipe: 

1 ounce grey goose vodka

1 ounce kahlua 

1 ounce chilled chai tea latte

.5 ounce sweet cream

Top with edible 12k gold flakes

The perfect "white privilege" 

Yeah that’s the problem with cocktails.  Plus nothing was really coming to mind.  Might make something tonight 

Larry’s Latest

two hearted

shorts Ten Tickles

Any $20-$25 bottle of bourbon should be fine 

bulleit, 4 roses, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, etc.  

dont think the vermouth brand matters all that much, I usually use dolins or noilly pratt 
Punt e Mes is what I use as my sweet vermouth. The body and sweetness of a quality vermouth but a nice bitter structure like an amaro. All I pour for sweet vermouth as it walks the line as a sweet vermouth/amaro, it can handle a bold spirit cocktail. I love the stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread