Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

[Dynasty] 2014 Draft Prospects

Xue

I posted my first top 24 of this draft season. It's the top link in my signature if you're curious.

Now it's time to sit back and see what these guys look like at the combine.

I have the same top eight except a little bit different order.

1. Watkins

2. Hyde

3. Lee

4. Seastrunk

5. Robinson

6. Hill

7. Ebron

8. Evans

Hill has kind of grown on me. He just looks so natural catching the football and he looks fast for his size. He does seem a little stiff to me. Hyde looks more fluid than Hill and I think he has the size and enough wiggle to be special. I think Hyde is a special talent. Does everything well. Can start day one and be 1200 yard 10+ TD back right out of the gate.

I only have Watkins #1 because everybody who's opinion I respect has him #1. So I figure I'm most likely mistaken about him. The way he got his yards in college scares me a little bit. NFL level CB's are not going to play 8-10 yards off of him and let him catch bubble screens all day. Watkins also looks a little stiff to me. He does have elite acceleration, good hands, and good size so his floor his pretty high.

Ebron's floor is very high imo. He reminds me of Vernon Davis (I know you say that's a bad comparison ) He's much more fluid than Davis. I could see him being a top 2-3 TE in the league in a couple years "if" he can be a good redzone target. That's a big if and the biggest question mark on Ebron.

I have no idea why Seastrunk is falling so far but I have the #5 pick and if he's there I will be jumping up and down. If he can catch the ball well he is going to be a 3 down back with homerun play ability. That's potentially top 10 overall dynasty value down the road.

Robinson really excites me because I think he is going to fall into the bottom of the 1st round in most rookie drafts. You made a great comparison his route running/footwork remind me of Keenan Allen. We all know how that worked out.

Lee looks amazing on tape but his drop rate scares me. Particularly his drop rate on long passes. He would be a great fit for Detroit with Calvin Johnson doing all the deep stuff and Lee the underneath routes.

Evans is kind of the forgotten man but he dominated some good SEC defenses. He has a huge upside. I heard or read somewhere that he is an extremely hard worker which I personally love. He hasn't been playing football for very long and he was a total stud this year in the SEC. That counts for something.

Pretty much with you on all of this.

As far as Watkins goes, I see what you mean about stiffness. That's why I mentioned Mike Wallace as part of my comparison. Watkins is just a little bit straight-linish like that. He doesn't have the agile open field moves of Lee, Robinson, or Beckham. I have a pretty strong preference for agile players, so that's a little bit of a negative for me. Ultimately though, does he do enough things at a high enough level to be successful? I think the answer's yes. I'm not valuing him like he's a 21 year old Julio or Demaryius. I've got him around WR9-12 and I think at that stage you're not passing on anyone who's obviously superior.

Hyde vs. Hill is an interesting one. Hyde has grown on me throughout the season. I think he's a little more put together than Hill. He sort of reminds me of Doug Martin, but maybe a bit taller and with a fraction less explosiveness. I tentatively have him ranked over Hill, as you can see on the list. Part of that is just the cleaner character profile. I've been burned by guys like Justin Blackmon and Santonio Holmes, so if two guys look pretty close on talent then I'm probably going to prefer the one who isn't gonna be getting in bar fights. Putting that aside, Hill is a deceptive athlete.

I posted this little clip before, but he's not just a plodding power back. He has better lateral ability than people might realize. You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgGpQYFfs3c

He has a little bit of that Marshawn Lynch/Ray Rice thing where he runs on a swivel and can make hard cuts in the second level to leave tacklers grasping air. That's a quality that I always like to see in a RB. One of the hallmark traits of the great ones like ADP or LT is that they have very active feet/hips. Defenders can never get a clean shot on them because they're always bouncing around and redirecting their momentum. Hill is no LT, but for a guy who might weigh 230 he's pretty slippery.

Yeah Hill definitely looks really good. I just watched his game against Miss St and he can cut pretty violently when he gets going downhill. It's not Christine Michael "omg did he just do that" violent. His cuts are more economical but they get the defender off balance enough that he can run through their arm tackle. He's fast for 235 to. He has homerun speed and good vision. I am very excited to see him run the 40 at the combine.

Jeremy Hill has two things going for him that make him very appealing to FF owners. He has great hands to catch the football. I mean he looks like a WR catching the ball. Catches the ball with his hands away from his body. Turns up field decisively and he has good vision. He's also going to have GL duties. That's a really good combination for a running back.

He pass pro looks good/above average to. He runs at the line of scrimmage to shorten the space between him and the defender well and he uses his size and strength to punch the defender in the chest. I don't see him going low on defenders much. Just mans up and punches them in the mouth. If he would just stop doing that off the field he would be good to go.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NFL.com has posted scouting reports for all the players going to the combine. Each report also includes a grade for the player.

Some interesting stuff.

QUARTERBACKS

Blake Bortles - 6.4

Teddy Bridgewater - 6.3

Johnny Manziel - 5.9
AJ McCarron - 5.65

RUNNING BACKS

Carlos Hyde - 6.2

Jeremy Hill - 5.8

KaDeem Carey - 5.75

Tre Mason - 5.75

Andre Williams - 5.62

Devonta Freeman - 5.57

DeAnthony Thomas - 5.49

Dri Archer - 5.45

Terrance West - 5.4

Charles Sims - 5.36

Storm Johnson - 5.34

Bishop Sankey - 5.3

Lache Seastrunk - 5.28

Alfred Blue - 5.25

James Wilder - 5.22

Antonio Andrews - 5.16

LaDarius Perkins - 5.15
David Fluellen - 5.1

Henry Josey - 5.08

Isaiah Crowell - 5.05

RECEIVERS

Sammy Watkins - 7.0

Kelvin Benjamin - 6.4

Marqise Lee - 6.2

Mike Evans - 6.1

Davante Adams - 5.96

Odell Beckham - 5.9

Brandin Cooks - 5.85

Donte Moncrief - 5.85

Allen Robinson - 5.7

Jarvis Landry - 5.6

TIGHT ENDS

Eric Ebron - 6.4

Troy Niklas - 5.65

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - 5.5

Jace Amaro - 5.4

Colt Lyerla - 5.33

Richard Rodgers - 5.2

There were a lot more receivers, but I left off all the guys with really low grades. There was no grade for Jordan Matthews or Derek Carr.

I'm mildly surprised that they have Benjamin as WR2, but more surprised by how low Seastrunk is. With all of the tea leaves pointing towards him being less highly-regarded by evaluators than we might have anticipated, he's beginning to take on a very mild Jonathan Dwyer/Johnathan Franklin vibe as a player the FF community has overrated. I still think he can go 2nd-3rd round. We'll see.

Less surprised to see Amaro far behind Ebron. I agree with that. I also think their RB and WR analysis is quite good for the most part.

NFL.com has posted scouting reports for all the players going to the combine. Each report also includes a grade for the player.

Some interesting stuff.

QUARTERBACKS

Blake Bortles - 6.4

Teddy Bridgewater - 6.3

Johnny Manziel - 5.9

AJ McCarron - 5.65

RUNNING BACKS

Carlos Hyde - 6.2

Jeremy Hill - 5.8

KaDeem Carey - 5.75

Tre Mason - 5.75

Andre Williams - 5.62

Devonta Freeman - 5.57

DeAnthony Thomas - 5.49

Dri Archer - 5.45

Terrance West - 5.4

Charles Sims - 5.36

Storm Johnson - 5.34

Bishop Sankey - 5.3

Lache Seastrunk - 5.28

Alfred Blue - 5.25

James Wilder - 5.22

Antonio Andrews - 5.16

LaDarius Perkins - 5.15

David Fluellen - 5.1

Henry Josey - 5.08

Isaiah Crowell - 5.05

RECEIVERS

Sammy Watkins - 7.0

Kelvin Benjamin - 6.4

Marqise Lee - 6.2

Mike Evans - 6.1

Davante Adams - 5.96

Odell Beckham - 5.9

Brandin Cooks - 5.85

Donte Moncrief - 5.85

Allen Robinson - 5.7

Jarvis Landry - 5.6

TIGHT ENDS

Eric Ebron - 6.4

Troy Niklas - 5.65

Jace Amaro - 5.4

Colt Lyerla - 5.33

Richard Rodgers - 5.2

There were a lot more receivers, but I left off all the guys with really low grades. There was no grade for Jordan Matthews or Derek Carr.

I'm mildly surprised that they have Benjamin as WR2, but more surprised by how low Seastrunk is. With all of the tea leaves pointing towards him being less highly-regarded by evaluators than we might have anticipated, he's beginning to take on a very mild Jonathan Dwyer/Johnathan Franklin vibe as a player the FF community has overrated. I still think he can go 2nd-3rd round. We'll see.

Less surprised to see Amaro far behind Ebron. I agree with that. I also think their RB and WR analysis is quite good for the most part.

I think RB is just that deep. In NFL terms I do not remember a draft having so much anticipation for it;s depth.

Some interesting stuff.

QUARTERBACKS

Blake Bortles - 6.4

Teddy Bridgewater - 6.3

Johnny Manziel - 5.9

AJ McCarron - 5.65

RUNNING BACKS

Carlos Hyde - 6.2

Jeremy Hill - 5.8

KaDeem Carey - 5.75

Tre Mason - 5.75

Andre Williams - 5.62

Devonta Freeman - 5.57

DeAnthony Thomas - 5.49

Dri Archer - 5.45

Terrance West - 5.4

Charles Sims - 5.36

Storm Johnson - 5.34

Bishop Sankey - 5.3

Lache Seastrunk - 5.28

Alfred Blue - 5.25

James Wilder - 5.22

Antonio Andrews - 5.16

LaDarius Perkins - 5.15

David Fluellen - 5.1

Henry Josey - 5.08

Isaiah Crowell - 5.05

RECEIVERS

Sammy Watkins - 7.0

Kelvin Benjamin - 6.4

Marqise Lee - 6.2

Mike Evans - 6.1

Davante Adams - 5.96

Odell Beckham - 5.9

Brandin Cooks - 5.85

Donte Moncrief - 5.85

Allen Robinson - 5.7

Jarvis Landry - 5.6

TIGHT ENDS

Eric Ebron - 6.4

Troy Niklas - 5.65

Jace Amaro - 5.4

Colt Lyerla - 5.33

Richard Rodgers - 5.2

Is there a link for this?

Some interesting stuff.

QUARTERBACKS

Blake Bortles - 6.4

Teddy Bridgewater - 6.3

Johnny Manziel - 5.9

AJ McCarron - 5.65

RUNNING BACKS

Carlos Hyde - 6.2

Jeremy Hill - 5.8

KaDeem Carey - 5.75

Tre Mason - 5.75

Andre Williams - 5.62

Devonta Freeman - 5.57

DeAnthony Thomas - 5.49

Dri Archer - 5.45

Terrance West - 5.4

Charles Sims - 5.36

Storm Johnson - 5.34

Bishop Sankey - 5.3

Lache Seastrunk - 5.28

Alfred Blue - 5.25

James Wilder - 5.22

Antonio Andrews - 5.16

LaDarius Perkins - 5.15

David Fluellen - 5.1

Henry Josey - 5.08

Isaiah Crowell - 5.05

RECEIVERS

Sammy Watkins - 7.0

Kelvin Benjamin - 6.4

Marqise Lee - 6.2

Mike Evans - 6.1

Davante Adams - 5.96

Odell Beckham - 5.9

Brandin Cooks - 5.85

Donte Moncrief - 5.85

Allen Robinson - 5.7

Jarvis Landry - 5.6

TIGHT ENDS

Eric Ebron - 6.4

Troy Niklas - 5.65

Jace Amaro - 5.4

Colt Lyerla - 5.33

Richard Rodgers - 5.2

Is there a link for this?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

The grades are within the analysis reports.

I can't wait til the combine starts next week. Players are starting to rise/fall and some new tape on these guys will answer some questions. Seastrunk seems to be taking the biggest beating and I thought he looked just as good or better than some other prospects ranked above him.

I can't wait til the combine starts next week. Players are starting to rise/fall and some new tape on these guys will answer some questions. Seastrunk seems to be taking the biggest beating and I thought he looked just as good or better than some other prospects ranked above him.

Seastrunk seems to be the player with the biggest spread of opinion on what his NFL prospects will be. There are draft analysts who have him as a top 3 RB (and some have him as number 1) while others have him outside of the top 7-8 RB prospects.

Seasttrunk will likely preform very well in the NFL combine with his athletic skills being his strength, and it will be interesting to see what catching skills he can showcase after not being utilized that way at Baylor.

Rotoworld:

Alabama QB AJ McCarron is "a very mentally aware, but physically limited QB," according to NFL Films' Greg Cosell.

McCarron has the physical ability of an NFL backup, according to Cosell. In a run-first system, however, Cosell thinks McCarron could transcend into a passable starter. The scribe offered Seattle's offensive scheme as an example, but of course the Seahawks don't need a starter. McCarron's future is entirely dependent on the organization that pulls the trigger on him.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell ranks UCF QB Blake Bortles as the No. 1 QB in the draft.

That designation comes with a War and Peace-length list of caveats. "There's no Andrew Luck in this draft," Cosell said. "There is no one who would even be in the same conversation, nobody that would even be in the same book." The beauty of this year's QB class will be in the eye of the beholder. Cosell himself said Bortles, his top-ranked QB, is "not a great thrower" and "doesn't drive the ball."

Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo might have a stronger arm than he showed in his collegiate offensive system, according to NFL Films' Greg Cosell.

"I kind of like him," Cosell said. In college, according to Cosell, "you didn't see him drive the ball, because that wasn't built into the offense." In EIU's spread system, Garoppolo was often asked to deliver the ball immediately, within his first three steps, based on pre-snap reads. Because of that, he was able to display a lauded ability for intermediate accuracy, but often wasn't given the stage to "let 'er rip." Garoppolo, Cosell believes, may surprise people at the next level with his ability to push the ball vertically.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell prefers Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin to Texas A&M's Mike Evans.

"I thought that he had a little more natural quickness and athleticism than Evans," Cosell said. "I thought that Benjamin brought a lot of the same attributes to the table as Evans, but I thought he was just a little more athletic." Cosell believes Benjamin runs faster than his 40 time. "You want to see a burst when the ball is in the air," Cosell said, mentioning Jerry Rice as one example of a WR who ran a 4.6-second 40-yard dash in shorts but appeared far faster once donned in pads. Benjamin is massive, and his speed might sneak up on NFL DBs. Rotoworld's Josh Norris, for the record, likes Evans significantly more than Benjamin (No. 11 overall compared to No. 32).

NFL Films' Greg Cosell doesn't believe UCF's Blake Bortles, Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel and Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater are "franchise quarterbacks."

Cosell notes that this is a rather arbitrary distinction, as teams don't draft in vacuums. Quarterback-needy organizations in possession of a Top-10 selection will always consider taking the highest-rated QB available, regardless of whether that prospect is Andrew Luck or Jake Locker. The bust potential inherent to this QB class is high, but Bortles, Manziel and Bridgewater also all possess All-Pro upside. This is where scouts make their money.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell called Clemson WR Sammy Watkins arguably "the best wide receiver to come out since the A.J. Green/Julio Jones 2011 draft."

"He's got size, speed, hands, shiftiness, explosion," Cosell said. "I think that Sammy Watkins is hands down the best receiver in this draft." Watkins is preparing to make scouts salivate at the NFL's Scouting Combine later this month in Indy. The former Tigers' star registered 1,464 yards and 12 touchdowns last season as a junior. Rotoworld's top wide out prospect has a chance to go in the Top-5.

Seastrunk seems to be the player with the biggest spread of opinion on what his NFL prospects will be. There are draft analysts who have him as a top 3 RB (and some have him as number 1) while others have him outside of the top 7-8 RB prospects.

Seasttrunk will likely preform very well in the NFL combine with his athletic skills being his strength, and it will be interesting to see what catching skills he can showcase after not being utilized that way at Baylor.

I don't see how Seastrunk is not a top 3 RB if he catches the ball well at the combine. He has good size, elite speed, predigree, and he produced in college. The scouts are seeing something they don't like.

Here are my last pre-combine RB rankings. Previous rankings here, asterisk means that I haven't watched as much of that player as I'd like to.

Probably:
Lache Seastrunk
Carlos Hyde
Jeremy Hill

Maybe:
Devonta Freeman *
Antonio Andrews
Tre Mason
Ka'Deem Carey
Charles Sims
James Wilder, Jr.
Henry Josey *
David Fluellen *
Tim Flanders
Isaiah Crowell *
Bishop Sankey
Andre Williams

Probably not:
James White
Silas Redd
Terrance West
Rajion Neal
Marion Grice
Storm Johnson *
Kapri Bibbs *
Tyler Gaffney *

Maybe in a Sproles or Harvin type role, if they're good enough receivers:
Dri Archer
De'Anthony Thomas
Robert Godhigh *

Not enough info / want to see more of:
Tim Cornett

LaDarius Perkins

Changes since last time: added Fluellen & Flanders to the "maybe" tier and a few guys to the "probably not" tier. Sankey & Williams move up to the bottom of the "maybe" tier based on watching more of them and trying to evaluate RBs separately on elusiveness in traffic & elusiveness in space.

"Not enough info / want to see more of:
Tim Cornett"

Cornett is a guy I wanted to see more of too. I cut one of his games up this afternoon.

http://youtu.be/pH5nq1ca5Zs

I included WR Devante Davis in the same video. He's a guy I'm interested in for next season. Unfortunately, the AVS Logo shows on the video for a couple of minutes. I'm going to do a few more to see if I can get the hang of it before I buy the program. FWIW, Cornett is #35 and Davis is #81.

The huge disparity (all along, but especially now) between Seastrunk's perception among dynasty owners and his perception among draftniks is really weird, and worrisome, and it's part of why I traded him before I could find out which camp is right. Despite the fact that I really, really still like him, I couldn't hold that ticking time bomb all the way through the countdown.

Tim Cornett"

Cornett is a guy I wanted to see more of too. I cut one of his games up this afternoon.

I included WR Devante Davis in the same video. He's a guy I'm interested in for next season. Unfortunately, the AVS Logo shows on the video for a couple of minutes. I'm going to do a few more to see if I can get the hang of it before I buy the program. FWIW, Cornett is #35 and Davis is #81.

Thanks!

Looks like he has good speed and decent power in terms of driving forward for the extra yard, which matches the nice size/speed combo in his listing at nfldraftscout, but I didn't see him break many tackles or make guys miss in space. I am now a bit less excited about him than I was before.

I agree that Davis is someone to watch at WR. He came in 11th in my purely by the numbers ranking of college WRs, and is 2nd (behind Coates) among WRs who are returning to school.

Tim Cornett"

Thanks!

Looks like he has good speed and decent power in terms of driving forward for the extra yard, which matches the nice size/speed combo in his listing at nfldraftscout, but I didn't see him break many tackles or make guys miss in space. I am now a bit less excited about him than I was before.

I agree that Davis is someone to watch at WR. He came in 11th in my purely by the numbers ranking of college WRs, and is 2nd (behind Coates) among WRs who are returning to school.

Have to admit I was a tad disappointed as well. Looked very pedestrian. The announcers kept harping on his knee and mentioned numerous times they were surprised he played. He had a few other big games during the same. If I find one, I'll do another.

The huge disparity (all along, but especially now) between Seastrunk's perception among dynasty owners and his perception among draftniks is really weird, and worrisome, and it's part of why I traded him before I could find out which camp is right. Despite the fact that I really, really still like him, I couldn't hold that ticking time bomb all the way through the countdown.

To me he literally looks like Chris Johnson / CJ Spiller. The guy has ridiculous speed and I personally think underrated hands. He's going to rise pretty quickly when he runs a sub 4.4 forty yard dash.

To me he literally looks like Chris Johnson / CJ Spiller. The guy has ridiculous speed and I personally think underrated hands. He's going to rise pretty quickly when he runs a sub 4.4 forty yard dash.

The main issue I have with him is that he seems to always go for the corner. Does he have an inside game? If not, he's not going to be anything special in the NFL. To my eyes, he seems to be more LaMichael James than Darren Sproles. Will be interesting to see his combine numbers.

More to the game than running fast. He gets brought down by arm tackles at the NCAA level often, vision, power to move the pile, huge running lanes due to offense, etc.

I've been on the pessimistic bandwagon on seastrunk since last year, so take it for what it's worth.

yeah, we really learned a lot about his hands with those zero passes he caught 2013.

The thing is that everyone already expects him to destroy the combine. It should already be factored into his ranking. He shouldn't "rise" after running the 40 everyone already knows he's going to kill.

Is it that seastrunk cant catch? or that he never really had the opportunity?

In the purest sense we don't flat don't know this answer to his pass catching skills. I tend to be skeptical even knowing that the current design of Baylor's offense does not appear to put priority in the running backs catching the ball. Given the amount of time he played, if he were even average in this area, i think a handful of passes would have found him somehow. I personally can't have him at the top of my rankings in PPR leagues, when just total guessing his ability in this area.

In the purest sense we don't flat don't know this answer to his pass catching skills. I tend to be skeptical even knowing that the current design of Baylor's offense does not appear to put priority in the running backs catching the ball. Given the amount of time he played, if he were even average in this area, i think a handful of passes would have found him somehow. I personally can't have him at the top of my rankings in PPR leagues, when just total guessing his ability in this area.

The combine and maybe a pro day workout is all we will get to see pre draft. However, minicamps may tell even more about his ability to catch. They didn't use him in that manner.

The combine and maybe a pro day workout is all we will get to see pre draft. However, minicamps may tell even more about his ability to catch. They didn't use him in that manner.

What's more important than his hands? His pass blocking is poor, therefore his hands may not matter a whole lot.

RB Orleans Darkwa of Tulane is a guy that's flashed on occasion. It's difficult to find any tape so I did a cut-up of the recent bowl game against Lousiana-Lafayette. It wasn't that great of a game (15 carries, 84 yards, 3 TDs) but I think he has a chance to stick if he lands in the right situation and can stay healthy. He missed a few blocks, but I was actually surprised with his ability to pass protect.

http://youtu.be/2GnEg7v-nN0

The thing is that everyone already expects him to destroy the combine. It should already be factored into his ranking. He shouldn't "rise" after running the 40 everyone already knows he's going to kill.

Agree, i don't see how Seastrunk killing the combine is going to increase his stock much, we all know he's going to destroy the drills.

He's an amazing athlete, just not sure he's that good of a RB.

Rotoworld:

Former Vanderbilt WR Chris Boyd will explain his involvement in the rape case, that was linked to members of the football team, to NFL teams.

Boyd was dismissed from Vanderbilt prior to the 2013 season after he allegedly assisted in a cover-up that included other players on the football team. "I would never want to hurt anybody or do anything harmful to anyone. I think once people get to know me and spend some time around me, it will be pretty obvious. I’m not a bad guy," Boyd said. The receiver considered transferring to Wisconsin and Penn State but elected to make the jump to the NFL.

Agree, i don't see how Seastrunk killing the combine is going to increase his stock much, we all know he's going to destroy the drills.

He's an amazing athlete, just not sure he's that good of a RB.

It shouldn't impact his FF stock (assuming he performs as expected and doesn't turn in a truly elite set of numbers across the board); however, a very good workout could boost his stock to NFL GMs and that could lead to him being "over-drafted" just on his measurable traits alone (see Mike Mamula). The Raiders were notorious for chasing height/weight/speed prospects for years and it only takes on team to "reach" for a player a round or two earlier than they should have gone.

The big question is Seastrunk more like Lamar Miller or more like LeSean McCoy (without the proven pass catching skills, as that is also a bit of an x-factor with Seastrunk)

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks is a "special athlete."

"WR Brandin Cooks is a special athlete and I don't throw around the word "special" lightly. Measuring above 5-10 at the Combine would be big," Brugler tweeted. Cooks is looking to live up to all the Steve Smith comparisons. What Cook lacks in size and strength, he makes up for it with speed and explosiveness. With the ability to line up outside, in the slot, or as a returner, Cooks brings a lot to the table. The Biletnikoff Award winner, led the nation with 1,730 receiving yards and set the Pac-12 single season record with 128 receptions in 2013.

Ed Orgeron: USC TE Xavier Grimble will be an All-Pro in NFL

By Daniel Kim NFL.com

Published: Feb. 15, 2014 at 06:50 p.m.

Xavier Grimble's career at USC didn't live up to the hype of a player many rated as the nation's top tight end coming out of high school in 2010. But former Trojans interim head coach Ed Orgeron says pro teams won't want to give up on him just yet.

Orgeron, who led USC to a 7-2 record after Lane Kiffin was fired in late September, didn't see much production from Grimble last season, when Grimble totaled just 25 catches for 271 yards and two touchdowns. In three seasons, Grimble had 69 catches for 731 yards and 11 touchdowns. But looking beyond the numbers, Orgeron believes Grimble (6-foot-5, 255 pounds) possesses the size and skills to develop into a star.

"I think Xavier is going to be an All-Pro in the NFL," Orgeron told FoxSports.com. "He has unusual body size for a tight end that looks like a left tackle. He can block, run and catch, and he's a great young man."

For his part, Grimble, who is bypassing his senior season to enter the draft, acknowledges he didn't meet expectations during his college career. Part of the reason, he said, is because Kiffin rarely featured him in the offense.

"I don't really want to blame the coach or anything, but [Lane] Kiffin has his ways," Grimble said. "He likes to run a certain type of offense. ... He likes to max out one person. Our first year it was Robert Woods. Then it was Marqise [Lee] for two years. "I kind of got overshadowed a bit," he said. "But I think I showed enough that will allow me to get an opportunity."

Grimble said he's eager to show everyone what he can do at next week's NFL Scouting Combine, where his strong hands and all-around athleticism should allow him to test well.

"Can't wait to prove myself, man," Grimble said. "I feel like the underdog now. I was the guy who had a lot of expectations. I showed some flashes, but I didn't really get to max out. That's what I'm looking forward to. I want to get out there and rip it up."

Most draft analysts questioned Grimble's decision to leave school early and rate him one notch below the top three tight ends -- North Carolina's Eric Ebron, Texas Tech's Jace Amaro and Washington's Austin Seferian-Jenkins. NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks also did not include Grimble in his top five tight ends in the draft.

NFL Prospect Focus: Sammy Watkins and Max Bullough

Greg Gabriel

Excerpt:

I wrote up both Watkins and Bullough for the NFP early in the season when most of the tape I had to view was from 2012, plus a couple of 2013 games. Many times, players don’t change that much through a season. In each of these cases, they changed a lot.

Sammy Watkins – Wide Receiver – Clemson

Size – 6004e – 203e – 4.47e

Strong Points – Size, long arms, hands, route running, adjust to the ball, run after catch, returns kicks, very productive, competitive

Weak Points – Just an adequate blocker, doesn’t have a twin brother

Summation – Watkins is a third-year junior and has been a starter since midway through his freshman year. He is Clemson’s go-to receiver and had a very productive season. On the year, he had 101 receptions for 1464 yards and 12 touchdowns. He also returned kickoffs for a 20 yard average. If the only game you saw was the Orange Bowl, you would have seen the kind of talent Watkins is. In that game he caught 16 passes for 227 yards and two touchdowns.

Watkins has good, but not great size. He will measure at about 6004 – 203 at the combine. While he doesn’t have the height of players like Alshon Jeffery and Megatron, he has very long arms that allow him to play taller than he is. He is an explosive athlete, with excellent change of direction and body control. He has speed, but he is not sprinter fast. He should run in the 4.47 range at the Combine. While he is not a 4.3 type, he has great acceleration. He is a very physical player when he has the ball in his hands and is a top competitor. I really like the way he competes for the ball in traffic.

Watkins is used often on bubble screens and shows he can snatch the ball and get up field quickly. When the ball is in his hands, he is like a running back, with good lean, quick moves to make people miss, and power. The other types of routes he runs are slants, comebacks, outs and go’s. He does a good job setting up defenders with double moves on some of his deeper routes. On the shorter routes, he shows his excellent body control as he can sink his hips and get out of cuts quickly to gain separation. He is very good at adjusting his routes and finding an open seam in zone. He has excellent hands and always tries to snatch the ball.

Early in the year, I thought that Watkins was very talented but raw. While I still feel he has to improve his route running skills to be a top NFL route runner, I have no doubt that he will. Watkins has excellent big play ability, and while he won’t be a clubs number one receiver as a rookie, he should be by his second year. I have no doubt that he will be the first receiver drafted come May.

Grade A 7.2

I had a good laugh at the highlighted part of the "Weak Points"

Looking at rankings pretty much everywhere, Hyde seems to be near the top of the RB prospects. I'm trying to like the guy but I'm continually unimpressed when I watch him. He doesn't have any great attributes and I'm having a hard time understanding why he's ranked where he is. Production is all he's got going for him IMO and there's nothing there to make me get over the "Meh" feeling I get whenever I watch him. Even if he lands in a great situation I will have a hard time spending an early pick on the guy in rook drafts... I'd almost consider him a do not draft guy at this point. The combine will be interesting but I have a hunch the "Meh" feelings will continue when the middle of the pack performance comes in Indy.

:shrug:

NFL Prospect Focus: Sammy Watkins and Max Bullough

Greg Gabriel

Excerpt:

I wrote up both Watkins and Bullough for the NFP early in the season when most of the tape I had to view was from 2012, plus a couple of 2013 games. Many times, players don’t change that much through a season. In each of these cases, they changed a lot.

Sammy Watkins – Wide Receiver – Clemson

Size – 6004e – 203e – 4.47e

Strong Points – Size, long arms, hands, route running, adjust to the ball, run after catch, returns kicks, very productive, competitive

Weak Points – Just an adequate blocker, doesn’t have a twin brother

Summation – Watkins is a third-year junior and has been a starter since midway through his freshman year. He is Clemson’s go-to receiver and had a very productive season. On the year, he had 101 receptions for 1464 yards and 12 touchdowns. He also returned kickoffs for a 20 yard average. If the only game you saw was the Orange Bowl, you would have seen the kind of talent Watkins is. In that game he caught 16 passes for 227 yards and two touchdowns.

Watkins has good, but not great size. He will measure at about 6004 – 203 at the combine. While he doesn’t have the height of players like Alshon Jeffery and Megatron, he has very long arms that allow him to play taller than he is. He is an explosive athlete, with excellent change of direction and body control. He has speed, but he is not sprinter fast. He should run in the 4.47 range at the Combine. While he is not a 4.3 type, he has great acceleration. He is a very physical player when he has the ball in his hands and is a top competitor. I really like the way he competes for the ball in traffic.

Watkins is used often on bubble screens and shows he can snatch the ball and get up field quickly. When the ball is in his hands, he is like a running back, with good lean, quick moves to make people miss, and power. The other types of routes he runs are slants, comebacks, outs and go’s. He does a good job setting up defenders with double moves on some of his deeper routes. On the shorter routes, he shows his excellent body control as he can sink his hips and get out of cuts quickly to gain separation. He is very good at adjusting his routes and finding an open seam in zone. He has excellent hands and always tries to snatch the ball.

Early in the year, I thought that Watkins was very talented but raw. While I still feel he has to improve his route running skills to be a top NFL route runner, I have no doubt that he will. Watkins has excellent big play ability, and while he won’t be a clubs number one receiver as a rookie, he should be by his second year. I have no doubt that he will be the first receiver drafted come May.

Grade A 7.2

I had a good laugh at the highlighted part of the "Weak Points"

:lmao:

I've seen Tre Mason at or near the top on a lot of boards. ECU's Vintavious Cooper is about the same size, but I can't find him anywhere. I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing. Cut-up against Ohio:

http://youtu.be/wwE5AAGE4Ho

Mason looks thicker and faster to me, and he runs with more power than Cooper, though I'd give Cooper the edge in cutting ability.

I've seen Tre Mason at or near the top on a lot of boards. ECU's Vintavious Cooper is about the same size, but I can't find him anywhere. I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing. Cut-up against Ohio:

Mason looks thicker and faster to me, and he runs with more power than Cooper, though I'd give Cooper the edge in cutting ability.

One of the reasons I like Mason is that he's essentially a Sophomore in age. There's room for growth/improvement. What did some of these other RBs look like as a Sophomore?

One of the reasons I like Mason is that he's essentially a Sophomore in age. There's room for growth/improvement. What did some of these other RBs look like as a Sophomore?

His age is definitely a plus. Like Kitbitzer said, he's a tad thicker in the lower half and may be a little faster. Regardless, Cooper is a guy I think could make some noise if he gets an opportunity. If I remember correctly, he had some character issues so that could be contributing to his lack of any recognition whatsoever. For all I know, he'll never be heard from again.

Archived