What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2014 Draft Prospects (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

UCF QB Blake Bortles has a list tacked to his wall that shows the average drill showing of every NFL quarterback who has performed at the combine.
"I'm not the fastest guy or I won't jump the highest or the furthest or any of that," Bortles said. "But I've got that sheet ... and my goal is to be above that [average] in every single category." It's an admirable goal, but we still don't know if Bortles intends to throw better than average, too, because he still hasn't decided if he'll air it out for scouts in Indy. If Bortles is confident in his right arm, we'd advise him to throw. He has a lot to gain and not much to lose: A great showing could potentially propel him into the No. 1 pick, while even a poor display isn't likely to knock Bortles out of the top half of the first round.

Source: Orlando Sentinel

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper believes Notre Dame's Troy Niklas can challenge for the No. 2 TE spot in the 2014 class.
"Niklas has solidified his status as a potential first-round pick and even a potential challenger to be the second tight end taken," Kiper writes. "His blocking ability is ahead of Ebron's and Amaro's, but I think he's athletic enough to be split out or work in the slot consistently." Niklas currently sits as Kiper's No. 3 tight end. He was asked to frequently stay in as a pass protector, but Niklas can be freed as a receiver at the next level.

Source: ESPN

Mike Mayock's position rankings for 2014 NFL Draft

By Mike Mayock

NFL Media draft analyst

Excerpt:

With the NFL Scouting Combine beginning on Feb. 22, Mike Mayock unveils the first of his position-by-position rankings for the 2014 NFL Draft.

Quarterback

1. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
2. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
3. Blake Bortles, Central Florida
4. Derek Carr, Fresno State
5. AJ McCarron, Alabama

Running back
1. Carlos Hyde, Ohio State
2. Jeremy Hill, LSU
3. Bishop Sankey, Washington
4. Andre Williams, Boston College
5. Tre Mason, Auburn

Wide receiver
1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson
2. Marqise Lee, USC
3. Mike Evans, Texas A&M
4. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State
5. Jarvis Landry, LSU

Tight end
1. Eric Ebron, North Carolina
2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
3. Jace Amaro, Texas Tech
4. Troy Niklas, Notre Dame
5. C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa

CFN combine RB preview:

Top 10

The Rest

Their top two are Hyde and Hill. Those are also the top two on my list and the top two on Mayock's list released today.

The Scout.com guys are pretty firmly on the "Seastrunk is a mid round pick" train. They have him ranked RB9 as a 3rd round value and a 4th round projection. He's not in Mayock's top 5 RBs and the DraftScout guys have him at RB7 right now with a 3rd round projection, so barring a huge buzz after the combine it's starting to seem like he's not going to be drafted as high as some of us thought. If he really goes in the 3rd of the NFL draft then he might slide to the late 1st of rookie drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
CFN combine RB preview:

Top 10

The Rest

Their top two are Hyde and Hill. Those are also the top two on my list and the top two on Mayock's list released today.

The Scout.com guys are pretty firmly on the "Seastrunk is a mid round pick" train. They have him ranked RB9 as a 3rd round value and a 4th round projection. He's not in Mayock's top 5 RBs and the DraftScout guys have him at RB7 right now with a 3rd round projection, so barring a huge buzz after the combine it's starting to seem like he's not going to be drafted as high as some of us thought. If he really goes in the 3rd of the NFL draft then he might slide to the late 1st of rookie drafts.
WAY TOO LOW ON THESE GUYS - I THINK YOUR MISSING BADLY HERE!

19. TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington – Talked about as a possible top 10 overall pick in the offseason, ASJ simply doesn't have the raw explosiveness to warrant such a high selection. He doesn't break big plays and isn't very fast, but I like his chances of having a moderately successful career as a big body power forward type. He has a huge frame, he's nimble for a big man, and he has good innate receiving skills to come down with difficult grabs. I see his NFL outlook falling somewhere between Martellus Bennett and Antonio Gates. Like Ebron, his ranking on this list suffers from the relatively low value of the TE position in most FF leagues. He also has some minor character red flags to answer.

20. RB Bishop Sankey, Washington – A jack of all trades and a master of none, Sankey is yet another RB in this draft who can do a little bit of everything. I rate him a little below some of the others because he looks less dynamic to me. I don't think he's going to be one of the 20 most talented backs in the NFL, but I think he's talented enough that if he goes to an open situation he could make some noise. So as with many of the other backs this year, keep a close eye on who drafts him and what their depth chart looks like.

Rotoworld:

Clemson WR Sammy Watkins says he is 10 times faster now than he was while playing in college.

"My body was so messed up that I can get 10 times faster. I was using 60 percent of my body, and I have 40 percent more I need to get out," Watkins said. The receiver added he does not want to predict a forty time during his Indianapolis workout, "but I will definitely have the fastest time or one of the two or three fastest at the combine."

Source: Orange and White
Sammy Watkins planning to 'dominate' the combine

Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay believes the most surprising part of the 2014 draft process is "all the Derek Carr love."

Carr has a "good arm but not accurate downfield and/or under pressure," McShay tweeted. The Fresno State quarterback was forced to throw plenty of quick passes near the line of scrimmage and makes some awe inspiring throws downfield, but our own Josh Norris has questioned Carr's balance and base upon release.

Source: Todd McShay on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Arizona RB Ka'Deem Carey will fully participate in the NFL Combine.

Carey added he currently weighs in at 207 pounds despite some listing him under 200. The Arizona running back is a favorite of Rotoworld's Evan Silva and produced at a high level the last two seasons. He has displayed the ability to break tackles between the tackles and evade defenders in space.

Source: Brent Sobleski on Twitter

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler notes that, from an evaluation perspective, Washington TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins leaves him wanting more.

Brugler did add that the "athletic and physical traits are there" for ASJ to succeed. Our own Josh Norris considers Seferian-Jenkins a top-40 talent at this point in the process, and he could flourish in an inline role while offering some versatility.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Here are my current rankings for RB and WR:

RB

1. Isaiah Crowell
  2. Bishop Sankey
  3. Carlos Hyde
  4. Tre Mason
  5. Antonio Andrews
  6. Lache Seastrunk
  7. Jeremy Hill
  8. Stephen Houston
  9. Ka’Deem Carey
  10. James White
  11. Devonta Freeman
  12. James Wilder, Jr.
  13. Andre Williams
  14. Charles Sims
  15. Tim Flanders
  16. Terrance West
  17. David Fluellen
  18. Zurlon Tipton
  19. Henry Josey
  20. Brendan Bigelow
  21. Marion Grice
WR

1. Mike Evans
  2. Sammy Watkins
  3. Odell Beckham, Jr.
  4. Davante Adams
  5. Allen Robinson
  6. Brandin Cooks
  7. Jordan Matthews
  8. Marqise Lee
  9. Chris Boyd
  10. Cody Hoffman
  11. Cody Latimer
  12. Kelvin Benjamin
  13. Paul Richardson
  14. Ryan Grant
  15. TJ Jones
  16. Jarvis Landry
  17. Josh Huff
  18. Donte Moncrief
  19. Martavis Bryant
  20. Robert Herron
  21. Matt Hazel
  22. Jalen Saunders
  23. Jared Abbrederis
  24. Austin Franklin
  25. Kain Colter
  26. Mike Davis
  27. L’Damian Washington
  28. Quincy Enunwa
  29. Shaquelle Evans
  30. Chandler Jones

Xue,

I appreciate your rankings, and it always nice to see somebody willing to offer a contrarian perspective as opposed to the cookie cutter and consensus rankings that tend to dominate around this time of the year.

I do have a question, with the ranking of Isaiah Crowell as your top RB, is fair to say that your rankings are heavily driven on talent level and don't factor much in the way of character questions & concerns, or are you just that high on Crowell as a prospect and are perhaps confident that the character questions are overblown?

Xue,

I appreciate your rankings, and it always nice to see somebody willing to offer a contrarian perspective as opposed to the cookie cutter and consensus rankings that tend to dominate around this time of the year.

I do have a question, with the ranking of Isaiah Crowell as your top RB, is fair to say that your rankings are heavily driven on talent level and don't factor much in the way of character questions & concerns, or are you just that high on Crowell as a prospect and are perhaps confident that the character questions are overblown?
As far as I know he is well-liked at Alabama State. He's also pretty young, a true Jr, compared to most of his FCS counterparts like Terrance West, who is a 5th-year Jr.

Yes, my rankings are driven by talent level and are not projections. So adjust accordingly.

Twitter:

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Not necessarily from a style perspective, but wouldn't be surprised if Isaiah Crowell is considered this year's Christine Michael.
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

I apologize if someone has already said that. Know @MattWaldman spoke up about Crowell very early on. Others too. So much talent.

Yea, he has talent, but he doesn't look like a workout freak. Tough to see him higher than the 4th round.

I've read mixed things about his time at Georgia, but there is some heavy smoke that he was a slacker with an attitude problem. Skipping workouts. Entitled mentality. All of that stuff. You give a guy like that money and freedom, and he's a risk to go off the reservation. Regardless of his ability, that stuff is likely to haunt his draft stock. I think he's much more Bryce Brown than Christine Michael in terms of athletic profile, running style, personality, NCAA career trajectory, and NFL draft stock.

Yea, he has talent, but he doesn't look like a workout freak. Tough to see him higher than the 4th round.

I've read mixed things about his time at Georgia, but there is some heavy smoke that he was a slacker with an attitude problem. Skipping workouts. Entitled mentality. All of that stuff. You give a guy like that money and freedom, and he's a risk to go off the reservation. Regardless of his ability, that stuff is likely to haunt his draft stock. I think he's much more Bryce Brown than Christine Michael in terms of athletic profile, running style, personality, NCAA career trajectory, and NFL draft stock.
You don't need to be a workout freak to be a very good RB.

Christine Michael was in the doghouse at Texas A&M under both Sherman and Sumlin. Crowell at least has drown much praise from his Alabama State coaches.

Bryce Brown barely played at all. Crowell has a much better body of work. I like his odds better than Brown.

Where did I say otherwise?

I'm explaining why Crowell won't vault up the board like Michael did. He's not really that fast or explosive. He's not the type of guy who seems likely to rip up the combine. Thus I think he's more like Brown (who had pretty "meh" workout numbers apart from his 40) than Michael. A fallen prep star whose spotty background will push him down into day three.

RB

1. Isaiah Crowell
  2. Bishop Sankey
  3. Carlos Hyde
  4. Tre Mason
  5. Antonio Andrews
  6. Lache Seastrunk
  7. Jeremy Hill
  8. Stephen Houston
  9. Ka’Deem Carey
  10. James White
  11. Devonta Freeman
  12. James Wilder, Jr.
  13. Andre Williams
  14. Charles Sims
  15. Tim Flanders
  16. Terrance West
  17. David Fluellen
  18. Zurlon Tipton
  19. Henry Josey
  20. Brendan Bigelow
  21. Marion Grice
WR

1. Mike Evans
  2. Sammy Watkins
  3. Odell Beckham, Jr.
  4. Davante Adams
  5. Allen Robinson
  6. Brandin Cooks
  7. Jordan Matthews
  8. Marqise Lee
  9. Chris Boyd
  10. Cody Hoffman
  11. Cody Latimer
  12. Kelvin Benjamin
  13. Paul Richardson
  14. Ryan Grant
  15. TJ Jones
  16. Jarvis Landry
  17. Josh Huff
  18. Donte Moncrief
  19. Martavis Bryant
  20. Robert Herron
  21. Matt Hazel
  22. Jalen Saunders
  23. Jared Abbrederis
  24. Austin Franklin
  25. Kain Colter
  26. Mike Davis
  27. L’Damian Washington
  28. Quincy Enunwa
  29. Shaquelle Evans
  30. Chandler Jones
Interesting to see Stephen Houston that high. Are there any complete game videos of him on the internet? From the numbers out there, it looks like he has pretty good college stats, good size, and bad speed.

I'm explaining why Crowell won't vault up the board like Michael did. He's not really that fast or explosive. He's not the type of guy who seems likely to rip up the combine. Thus I think he's more like Brown (who had pretty "meh" workout numbers apart from his 40) than Michael. A fallen prep star whose spotty background will push him down into day three.
If anyone is going to vault up the rankings it's going to be Seastrunk IMO. The guy is a freak and is about to show it this weekend.

Bad workout numbers aren't going to hurt him. His on-field play was better than what I saw from Michael. How many people were high on Michael BEFORE the combine?

RB

1. Isaiah Crowell
  2. Bishop Sankey
  3. Carlos Hyde
  4. Tre Mason
  5. Antonio Andrews
  6. Lache Seastrunk
  7. Jeremy Hill
  8. Stephen Houston
  9. Ka’Deem Carey
  10. James White
  11. Devonta Freeman
  12. James Wilder, Jr.
  13. Andre Williams
  14. Charles Sims
  15. Tim Flanders
  16. Terrance West
  17. David Fluellen
  18. Zurlon Tipton
  19. Henry Josey
  20. Brendan Bigelow
  21. Marion Grice
WR

1. Mike Evans
  2. Sammy Watkins
  3. Odell Beckham, Jr.
  4. Davante Adams
  5. Allen Robinson
  6. Brandin Cooks
  7. Jordan Matthews
  8. Marqise Lee
  9. Chris Boyd
  10. Cody Hoffman
  11. Cody Latimer
  12. Kelvin Benjamin
  13. Paul Richardson
  14. Ryan Grant
  15. TJ Jones
  16. Jarvis Landry
  17. Josh Huff
  18. Donte Moncrief
  19. Martavis Bryant
  20. Robert Herron
  21. Matt Hazel
  22. Jalen Saunders
  23. Jared Abbrederis
  24. Austin Franklin
  25. Kain Colter
  26. Mike Davis
  27. L’Damian Washington
  28. Quincy Enunwa
  29. Shaquelle Evans
  30. Chandler Jones
Interesting to see Stephen Houston that high. Are there any complete game videos of him on the internet? From the numbers out there, it looks like he has pretty good college stats, good size, and bad speed.
No. I'm in the process of cutting some up. He's essentially Andre Williams with hands. Built like Eddie Lacy, runs like DeMarco Murray.

Here is a highlight vid to hold you over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxsfCoEDSZ0

If anyone is going to vault up the rankings it's going to be Seastrunk IMO. The guy is a freak and is about to show it this weekend.
Different position but I think Cooks is the guy who's going to vault up the rankings.

Bad workout numbers aren't going to hurt him. His on-field play was better than what I saw from Michael. How many people were high on Michael BEFORE the combine?
Michael had plenty of hype early in his career. He was rostered in some of my shallow dev leagues even before the 2012 season. His stock cooled off after a quiet senior year and then the combine put him back on the map in a big way.

I like Crowell as a sleeper pick, but find it very unlikely that he will be chosen in the top 90-100 picks of the draft. There's even some chance that he could fall out of the top 200. None of this means he can't become a good pro. Only that he's not a good parallel with Michael (a late riser who vaulted up the boards on the back of a strong combine).

Here's what CFN said about him in their RB preview that came out yesterday:

Isaiah Crowell, Alabama State 5-11, 215 (Jr.)

Draft Him: The talent is there. The one-time superstar recruit for Georgia really is a good back with NFL skills. He has the size, the moves and the explosiveness to be terrific part of an offense – for cheap. He’ll go late, if he’s drafted at all, and teams in the fifth round and lower can take the chance.

Key To The Combine: The interview process. After getting the boot from the Bulldogs, he turned his career back around at Alabama State, but there’s still a mega-red character mark next to his name. He has to show he’s ready to be a pro while also looking the part on the field.

Should Go: Fifth Round

Will Go: Undrafted
NFL.com has him with a 5.05 grade, which is relatively low on their RB scale. Probably not even in the top 15. Here was their take:

Strengths Good vision and run strength -- runs hard and has a knack for finding seams. Presses the line of scrimmage and shows nice short-area burst to attack the outside. Weaknesses Average balance and tackle-breaking power. Cannot make his own holes and goes down too easy on contact, especially inside. Minimal receiving production. Soft, disinterested pass protector. Lacks top finishing speed. Effort waned late in games. Beats to the tune of his own drummer. Extremely immature and has a history of off-field issues. Can be difficult to coach. Bottom Line

An adequate-sized back with the run instincts and perimeter running skills to compete for a job in a situational role if he learns to commit himself to the process and figures out what it means to be a pro.
DraftScout has him as the 26th RB in the class with a UDFA projection:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119377&draftyear=2014&genpos=RB

If people want to argue that he's a good sleeper pick, I won't dispute that at all. I agree. If people think he's going to be a high pick like Christine Michael, I think they're not reading the tea leaves. Crowell's stock seems pretty low and he's not likely to help himself with a really strong workout. So I'm saying day three or UDFA, regardless of what he ultimately becomes as a pro.

Different position but I think Cooks is the guy who's going to vault up the rankings.
That's an interesting call. He's very explosive, but also absolutely tiny. I don't know what the height/weight will be, but to me he looks like he might be smaller than his listed 5'10" 186. Might not matter if he runs a 4.3 and looks dynamite in the drills, but it could be something that suppresses his stock a little bit.

That's an interesting call. He's very explosive, but also absolutely tiny. I don't know what the height/weight will be, but to me he looks like he might be smaller than his listed 5'10" 186. Might not matter if he runs a 4.3 and looks dynamite in the drills, but it could be something that suppresses his stock a little bit.
TY Hilton is the same size. Cooks will be fine. He's already high on many people's boards.

I am not sure how much player who is expected to run really fast (and actually runs fast) improves his draft stock, but he is planning on putting on a show.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/18/baylor-rb-lache-seastrunk-i-know-i-can-run-faster-than-4-3/

FWIW....Bucky Brooks on the combine...Reads bottom to top

Regardless of their performance, I respect the willingness to put their talents on display in a pressure-packed environment

If he is a big-time guy & willing to put it on display, I have a tendency to give those guys a little extra when I discuss them in meetings

That's why it's a gamble when guys don't work out.. Everyone won't see the performance.. Plus, it's "all or nothing" at Pro Day.

Prospect can wait to perform at Pro Day, but he won't have the same stage at the combine. Team may only send scout, position coach to ProDay

3. Working out at #NFLCombine allows every GM, HC and scout to see the player showcase his skills. Every decision maker is in the building

Players have a built-in mulligan by working at the combine. Pro Day workout can erase poor workout in Indy.

(Cont) from any workout is recorded & used as the number on the player card. That's why there's nothing to lose at the combine.

Plus, teams will use the best measurement for final draft grade. Whether it's at the combine or Pro Day, the best 40, VJ, Shuttles or broad

A poor workout is kept in perspective because the tape evaluation outweighs everything else. Some guys just aren't great testers.

If a player runs slower than expected or looks tight during the workout, scouts will go back and see if the issues showed up on tape

2. Combine workouts don't negatively impact grade. Scouts use workouts to confirm what they've witnessed on tape. Speed/AA checked vs. Film

Doctors are evaluating long-term prospects. Is the player subject to re-injury or long-term issues based on prior medical history

1. Interviews and medical evaluations are most important. Teams are assessing character & potential locker room fit.

I am not sure how much player who is expected to run really fast (and actually runs fast) improves his draft stock, but he is planning on putting on a show.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/18/baylor-rb-lache-seastrunk-i-know-i-can-run-faster-than-4-3/
This article from back in May showed it's not only his 40 that should be impressive...

Seastrunk's vertical, which was an impressive 42.5 inches last winter, is now 44.2 inches. He also broad jumped 11-4 -- five inches more than in 2012. His 40 time: 4.36.
That would be a better 40, vertical, AND broad jump than Michael had last year. His 3 cone and shuttle should be interesting too. I think his misuse at Baylor is currently keeping him low in rankings but I expect him to be a steady riser into May.

:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread