What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guitar Guys (1 Viewer)

Jayrok

Footballguy
I would like to listen to backing tracks off my computer (either mp3 files or straight from youtube) and play along with the guitar connected to the amp (Line 6 Spider III). I have headphones connected to the amp. Must be quiet in the house or I have an irate wife to deal with. The amp has "cd/mp3 in" jack. I would like to connect my computer into that jack and be able to hear the backing track and the guitar at the same time through the headphones connected to the amp. Can I do this with just a male to male audio cable from computer to amp? Connection to the computer will be out of the jack where headphones can be plugged into the computer and then into the cd/mp3 in jack on amp. Thanks for your input.

Maybe off topic but..

I play along to tracks or fellow jammers thru headphones with a Jamhub.

It's pretty cool IMO. I can set the volume for each player in my headphones.... jamhum

You can even get one with a digital recorder but, i have a Zoom R16 that i plug it thru.

Thinking of picking one of these up as a backup guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-mh-100-quilted-maple-electric-guitar

Not really my style of guitar, but the Floyd Rose alone will set you back $80-90, and for $200 it seems like a steal. I just spoke with the customer rep and they said they had a lot left.
No.
Not my style either, but maybe good as a starter?
I SAID NO.

Otis said:
Britney Spears said:
Otis said:
dickey moe said:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-mh-100-quilted-maple-electric-guitar

Not really my style of guitar, but the Floyd Rose alone will set you back $80-90, and for $200 it seems like a steal. I just spoke with the customer rep and they said they had a lot left.
No.
I SAID NO.
Otis said:
Britney Spears said:
Otis said:
dickey moe said:

No.
I SAID NO.
LOL - I know LTD is ESP's cheap model, but why no? Is it too "metal" looking or just too cheap a guitar worth buying?

bigbottom said:
dickey moe said:

In what way would you use it as a back-up guitar? What is your primary player?
Well, not really a backup guitar either I guess. More like an "extra" cheap guitar.

I don't see the issue. One of my regrets from my time in bands is that I never formed a metal band that used gear exactly like this. The turn of the century music in Austin was sensational. Aside from the blues and singer-songwriters that are so good (and many of whom are still playing) that launched Bob Schneider among others. There was a scene of alternative-rock bands trying on the Live-Matchbox-ThirdEye-Semisonic thing. A couple had some success (Fastball early, Blue October later). Then there was a growing alt-country-closer-to-country scene that produced Cross Canadian Ragweed, Reckless Kelly and Cory Morrow among others. There was a hard rock scene that lots of people were backing (Vallejo and Pushmonkey) thinking one of the groups would explode. And then at a couple clubs that didn't stay open long there was a metal scene (28 MPH, Saucer, etc.) and the guys were not doing any of that stuff with Les Pauls and Strats. They were playing Jackson and Kramer and ESP and Ibanez through Crate amps with the mids sucked out and the distortion way up. It was AWESOME.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the issue. One of my regrets from my time in bands is that I never formed a metal band that used gear exactly like this. The turn of the century music in Austin was sensational. Aside from the blues and singer-songwriters that are so good (and many of whom are still playing) that launched Bob Schneider among others. There was a scene of alternative-rock bands trying on the Live-Matchbox-ThirdEye-Semisonic thing. A couple had some success (Fastball early, Blue October later). Then there was a growing alt-country-closer-to-country scene that produced Cross Canadian Ragweed, Reckless Kelly and Cory Morrow among others. There was a hard rock scene that lots of people were backing (Vallejo and Pushmonkey) thinking one of the groups would explode. And then at a couple clubs that didn't stay open long there was a metal scene (28 MPH, Saucer, etc.) and the guys were not doing any of that stuff with Les Pauls and Strats. They were playing Jackson and Kramer and ESP and Ibanez through Crate amps with the mids sucked out and the distortion way up. It was AWESOME.
:lmao: memories

They were playing Jackson and Kramer and ESP and Ibanez through Crate amps with the mids sucked out and the distortion way up. It was AWESOME.
...and that's exactly how I'd play that guitar too, except it would be through a slightly better Line 6 instead of a Crate.

I'm the lone sole support for a family of five, fellas. I'm on a tight budget. Plus, I'm looking for an excuse to unleash my latent, inner, primeval metal.

Update for the original post: I ended up getting a refurbed Lenovo laptop and installed GuitarRig 5. Bought Presonus audio input device and studio monitors.

Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus guitar, Black Cherry burst.

Presonus AudioBox 22vsl with ZBox Hi-Z/Lo-Z input from guitar.

M-Audio AV40 Studio Monitors with HD headphones.

GR5 has tape decks at the top and bottom of the stack you configure so you can listen to mp3 through GR5 or Youtube videos through the laptop. The AudioBox becomes the laptop's audio device so you can jam with youtube through GR5. Backing track can be looped through GR5 so good for soloing over blues, etc.

Sound is great. Presonus box is excellent. When I'm alone I can blast away through the monitors, when I'm not, I can play through head phones.

When I jam with my son I just plug up to the amp and we're off.

Very happy with the setup.

What's with you nudnicks?

Any tips on finding a guitarist not O Craigslist? In a band with a rhythm, drummer, keys/singer (me), bassist and we've gone through like 6 lead guitarists in a year.

We play rock covers... ie Rocky Mountain Way, Steely Dan, Ah Leah, Hold on Loosely, Just Like Heaven, Possum Kingdom...

Set list is about 50 deep.

The problem is, we enjoy practicing as much as we enjoy playing out and we're getting lead guitarist on opposite sides of the spectrum.

Guy who doesn't want to practice, has loads of experience and just wants to show up and won't take low paying gigs.

Guy who can't play as well as we need and wants to practice for 6 months.

Tips for finding someone in between other than CL? We have YouTube video samples but guys will show up and the next week back out. Guys will commit and the back out the day of practice. Getting frustrating.

Thought I'd ask here. We're in Philly/South Jersey is that helps

Why not practice with the guy who wants to practice and gig with the other guy until the practice dude is ready? It's a rock band, not a Business entity. Some flexibility is fine.

They were playing Jackson and Kramer and ESP and Ibanez through Crate amps with the mids sucked out and the distortion way up. It was AWESOME.
...and that's exactly how I'd play that guitar too, except it would be through a slightly better Line 6 instead of a Crate.I'm the lone sole support for a family of five, fellas. I'm on a tight budget. Plus, I'm looking for an excuse to unleash my latent, inner, primeval metal.
I play an Ibanez through a Line 6 POD and a Crate. Pretty much exclusively with the Triple Rectifier distortion. Pure ####ing metal.

Any tips on finding a guitarist not O Craigslist? In a band with a rhythm, drummer, keys/singer (me), bassist and we've gone through like 6 lead guitarists in a year.

We play rock covers... ie Rocky Mountain Way, Steely Dan, Ah Leah, Hold on Loosely, Just Like Heaven, Possum Kingdom...

The problem is, we enjoy practicing as much as we enjoy playing out and we're getting lead guitarist on opposite sides of the spectrum.

Guy who doesn't want to practice, has loads of experience and just wants to show up and won't take low paying gigs.

Tips for finding someone in between other than CL? We have YouTube video samples but guys will show up and the next week back out. Guys will commit and the back out the day of practice. Getting frustrating.

Here's your profile. Find a middle age guy who played in his youth and is now a successful type A professional. He has a good day job, so he doesn't need to "make it" and isn't in it for the money (and will have decent gear). Playing isn't his identity, but it scratches an itch, so he won't be picky about the types of gigs you book. And he's a type A guy, so he'll be dedicated when it comes to practice, and because he seeks positive feedback, he'll be anxious to gig.Too bad you're not in Houston. We just played a great gig last night and could use a little Hammond/B3 action.

I wish BB. I know we've talked in the past. I'll keep my eyes out for a job in Houston and bring my ivories with me. ;-)

Actually just bought a Roland FP-80 yesterday, the vocal harmonizer function on this thing was amazing.

We will collab some day my friend.

Picked up an acoustic today. Never played guitar in my life but I feel I've learned all I need to on the piano and need a new challenge.

Since I'm well versed in theory and it won't take me long to learn my chords, how would you suggest tackling a new guitar as a brand new player? Lessons? Understanding tablature? All of the above?

Advice appreciated. I've already memorized the major/minor and 7th chords in just a few hours. Sounds a lot like my piano when I'm playing a bass octave and chords on the treble. Where do I go from here? Any great books out there that don't necessitate lessons?

Tia

Oh Btw, it's a Recording King "Dirty 30". I'm sure it's crap but I just needed a middle range starter and that's what was suggested to me.

Nice choice on the guitar -- the RK's are great value.

Re: direction, so much depends on what your goals are and what kind of music you want to play. Strum some chords? Some folk/rock? Something more advanced? Bottom line is learn some songs you like, start there. There are tons of guitar lesson resources on Youtube these days. I'm trying to learn jazz and have come across some awesome forums for that (just need to find the time for it). But I say play what you like, the rest will follow.

(If you want to start to learn to solo and improvise as well, learn the pentationic, blues, and major scales, and learn chord progressions for some songs that are fun to solo too -- I'm a big fan of Santana stuff, like Black Magic Woman or Europa, which have great elements of rock, blues, and jazz)

GL pessss

Picked up an acoustic today. Never played guitar in my life but I feel I've learned all I need to on the piano and need a new challenge.

Since I'm well versed in theory and it won't take me long to learn my chords, how would you suggest tackling a new guitar as a brand new player? Lessons? Understanding tablature? All of the above?

Advice appreciated. I've already memorized the major/minor and 7th chords in just a few hours. Sounds a lot like my piano when I'm playing a bass octave and chords on the treble. Where do I go from here? Any great books out there that don't necessitate lessons?

Tia
I'm self taught. No music talent what-so-ever going in. I basically started with the book that came with the Fender Squire starter set. That got me through some simple scales (which I still suck at) and how to play open chords. As I became tired of playing the songs in that book I started searching around on Ultimate-Guitar.com for songs I liked. Focused mostly on open chord stuff because that's what I knew, but Every once in a while, I'd mess with tablature

From there my skills got better. 6 years later, I focus more on tabs as I've gotten somewhat better at playing licks instead of stumming chords.

I'm sure I could use lessons, but it's kind of become a sense of pride that I've taught myself. So I've resisted going that route.

Enjoy

Tia
i don't know a thing about music theory, or any of that, but i bought a game called Rockstar that i have for XBox that shows how to play guitar. i think i have actually made pretty good progress in 2 weeks or so, and i was starting at probably a 0 with music instrument playing ability. i think the last time i played something was the kazoo in 5th grade

Good tips Oat. Thank you.

I know my blues scales and 2-5-1s based on piano (my expertise is jazz and blues) so it's just about learning where those notes are on the guitar.

As a guitarist playing jazz, do you play ii-V-I's? That was the foundation of my jazz piano training. If you are learning jazz guitar, absolutely Start with those if applicable (sorry, I'm very naive about guitar). And if you have general jazz questions, let me know.

Blues Guitar is generally easy from what I can tell. Once you learn the scales in each key, it's very easy to solo and sound like a virtuoso as you walk up and down playing the root, flatted 3rd, 4th,5th,raised 4th and 7th.

I think Limp had best suggestions, maybe just learn some songs that I like. I identified the following as the easiest so far chords wise:

6th Avenue heartache by Wallflowers

Wonderful Tonight by Clapton

Take a Look At My Girlfriend by Supertramp

And

What I Like About You by the Romantics.

Barre chords feel impossible right now. F and B. Any tips? As someone who could sit down to a piano and play Bach to Green Day, this is extremely frustrating. I don't have Otis hands either. #### the F and B.

Exercises appreciated for those tough chords.

Thanks for the responses gang

Barre chords are just practice and building up hand strength. No shortcut on that. Sounds like you have a good foundation already and should be off to a quick start. Go git em.

Are you still looking for someone? I know a guy who plays guitar (also sings) - last I heard, he was in between bands and located in the Medford area. He is heavy into Classic Rock. Let me know and I will reach out to him to see if he wants me to pass along his details.

Are you still looking for someone? I know a guy who plays guitar (also sings) - last I heard, he was in between bands and located in the Medford area. He is heavy into Classic Rock. Let me know and I will reach out to him to see if he wants me to pass along his details.
Whoa! This might be the first ever FFA band placement.

By the way Bender, saw in the bumped post that you guys play Ah Leah. I'm jamming on the side with a modified line-up of guys and we just worked up that tune. It's a lot of fun to play.

I know my blues scales and 2-5-1s based on piano (my expertise is jazz and blues) so it's just about learning where those notes are on the guitar.

As a guitarist playing jazz, do you play ii-V-I's? That was the foundation of my jazz piano training. If you are learning jazz guitar, absolutely Start with those if applicable (sorry, I'm very naive about guitar). And if you have general jazz questions, let me know.

Blues Guitar is generally easy from what I can tell. Once you learn the scales in each key, it's very easy to solo and sound like a virtuoso as you walk up and down playing the root, flatted 3rd, 4th,5th,raised 4th and 7th.

I think Limp had best suggestions, maybe just learn some songs that I like. I identified the following as the easiest so far chords wise:

And

Barre chords feel impossible right now. F and B. Any tips? As someone who could sit down to a piano and play Bach to Green Day, this is extremely frustrating. I don't have Otis hands either. #### the F and B.

I'm coming up on 20 years of guitar and you already know more about guitar than I do.

And

Yo bud, I may have guy stop by in a week or 2 to offer some tips to me on playing, you want to jump in and join? He's a dopey kid, but can play guitar good. if you want to join us, PM me or something. Not sure if it will come together right away, but i am hooked at trying to get some sweet tunes out

Guitar has been fun.

Luckily since I play keys in a band currently, I've been able to try it out beyond just in my apartment on real songs. Currently playing rhythm already on a few of the songs in our set list.

I also sit in with a blues band once a month or so as that's where I'm best on the keys but I'm eager to have them let me play some guitar.

So that brings me to my questions...blues guitar lessons...anything on youtube that you all have liked or recommend? I don't need help in HOW to play blues, and maybe since I do know all of my blues pentatonic scales I more need help in identifying which note is which on the guitar since it's not as easy as chords?

Is the trick to just memorize what each string/fret represent in notation terms or is there a trick that some use to memorize those? Maybe my question is jumbled. In short...give me a shortcut to learning where all the notes on the guitar are please so I can play some Blues Riffs.

The most common blues riff is to play the I the IV and the V all within one bar (at least on the piano it is)...i.e. if playing in C, you'd quickly run through the C (smash noting the flatted 3rd into a 3rd), an inverted F and an inverted G with the 7th included. I assume it's the same for the guitar? Having trouble translated piano into guitar.

TIA

Should I just become a really awesome Keytar player instead at this point?

The most basic of shortcuts: in the appropriate key for the fret, low string to high:

1-2-4

1-3-4

1-3-4

1-3

1-2-4

1-2-4

I'll let the lead players take it from here.

As for blues progressions, you can always just bar chord the I-IV-V. Blues in E or A allow for some cool open chording stuff.

The most basic of shortcuts: in the appropriate key for the fret, low string to high:

1-2-4

1-3-4

1-3-4

1-3

1-2-4

1-2-4

As for blues progressions, you can always just bar chord the I-IV-V. Blues in E or A allow for some cool open chording stuff.
Exactly the type of advice I'm looking for. Thanks BB as always.

1-2-4

1-3-4

1-3-4

1-3

1-2-4

1-2-4

Exactly the type of advice I'm looking for. Thanks BB as always.
Anywhere on the neck, a bar chord off the sixth string is the I, a bar chord off the fifth string in the same fret is the IV, and sliding up two frets from there is the V.

Been able to jump off piano and play some rhythm guitar on a few songs in the band.

:thumbup:

Right now, I'm still staying away from F and B as much as I can, but I'm getting better at playing those...

Here's some tunes I've found easy for anyone still starting out or looking for easier songs to add to their set lists....

Repertoire:

Bad Company - Shooting Star (this was incredibly easy, the trickiest part is the strum between the D and the E. If there's any shortcuts to get from a D to an E, I'd appreciate it as opposed to the normal method. (specifically some sort of inverted D on the E A and D strings would be easiest for me to make that transition)

38 Special - Hold On Loosely - leads is tough, but I leave that to our guitarist, the rhythm has been easy)

Free - All Right Now (incredibly easy)

The Romantics - What I Like About You - another easy one, quick transitions which is great for building muscle memory and moving from easy chord to easy chord quickly) - although the break does have a tricky B chord

Billy Idol - White Wedding - another simple one, although I have to lean over my keyboard to play those "ahhhh" synthy sounds

Billy Joel - You May Be Right - another simple one played in A, other than the F#minor chord at the end of the chorus

Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight - I have to play a straight D as opposed to the D over F#, so any tricks on the D/F# chord would be appreciated

Currently working on:

The Outfield - Your Love (Tricky because I'm the singer on this one)

Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way - very simple so far and easy way to start learning your A7, E7 chords. Having trouble with the B7 at the end of the chorus. My fingers just can't stretch across 5 strings like that yet.

Cracker - Low - seems very easy

What I need help on now....

Playing chords further down the neck - inversions, etc. All the charts I can find are basically using the 1st fret as a base line and so the chords are very simple. Can anyone link me to a chart that would show ALL A, B, C, D.... chords down the neck and the various inversions? I'm naive and maybe that's no way to learn, but for things like the transition on Shooting Star, that might help.

Happy playing and thanks again....

1-2-4

1-3-4

1-3-4

1-3

1-2-4

1-2-4

Can someone explain this to me like I'm me?

Users who are viewing this thread