What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you think Snyder should change the name of the Redskins? (3 Viewers)

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

• No

Votes: 312 43.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 320 44.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 89 12.3%

• Total voters
I thought you were implying that at least some of them were.
I was. But not because they were voicing their opinions. It was because of the WAY they were voicing their opinions.
Oh, so if there's a specific action that you have a problem with (like, say, "swearing at the redskins PR rep"), I shouldn't take the most general form of that action I can think of (like, "voicing an opinion"), even though I know full well that's not what your issue is, and attempt to carry on the conversation as though it were? You say this sort of willful ignorance does nothing but bog down threads and derail them into meaningless tangents?

Good, I agree.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the tweet. What's wrong with sticking up for your belief? Why is it when someone sticks up for their beliefs and others disagree with it, they say that the other person is clueless? :confused:

I thought you were implying that at least some of them were.
I was. But not because they were voicing their opinions. It was because of the WAY they were voicing their opinions.
Oh, so if there's a specific action that you have a problem with (like, say, "swearing at the redskins PR rep"), I shouldn't take the most general form of that action I can think of (like, "voicing an opinion"), even though I know full well that's not what your issue is, and attempt to carry on the conversation as though it were? You say this sort of willful ignorance does nothing but bog down threads and derail them into meaningless tangents?

Good, I agree.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the tweet. What's wrong with sticking up for your belief? Why is it when someone sticks up for their beliefs and others disagree with it, they say that the other person is clueless? :confused:
What the hell are you talking about? :confused:

The most offensive part of the name is Washington, not Redskins. Drop that. FYI http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002961.html Redskins is a term originated by Native Americans themselves. Maybe that has already been pointed out here, but I am too lazy to read all the posts.
I think that it is well established that redskin is taken by most people today to be disparaging
Has anyone ever actually heard the term Redskin used as a slur? Even a movie?

The most offensive part of the name is Washington, not Redskins. Drop that. FYI http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002961.html Redskins is a term originated by Native Americans themselves. Maybe that has already been pointed out here, but I am too lazy to read all the posts.
Funny actually I don't know if anyone has discussed this aspect.

It does seem like a lot of the fervor has been coming from the Oneida about the name. The tactics of Washington in the French & Indian War is a controversial subject:

http://nativeamericannetroots.net/diary/1077

On the other hand the Oneida were our outright allies, and they were key to winning at Saratoga:

The United States Congress in 1777 recognized the Oneida contribution to the Revolutionary War stating:“We have experienced your love, strong as the oak, and your fidelity, unchangeable as truth. You have kept fast hold of the ancient covenant-chain, and preserved it free from rust and decay, and bright as silver. Like brave men, for glory you despised danger; you stood forth, in the cause of your friends, and ventured your lives in our battles. While the sun and moon continue to give light to the world, we shall love and respect you. As our trusty friends, we shall protect you; and shall at all times consider your welfare as our own.”
http://www.oneidaindiannation.com/history/veterans/The-Revolutionary-War.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It just seems like the Oneida is the only tribe I can recall really saying anything about the name as a tribe. They are nearby I believe but not actually in the Redskins' territory.

What tribe is most prominent in the Redskins' area? Any specific tribe really a name in Maryland or Northern Virginia area?

If so have they said anything about the Redskins name?

It just seems like the Oneida is the only tribe I can recall really saying anything about the name as a tribe. They are nearby I believe but not actually in the Redskins' territory.

What tribe is most prominent in the Redskins' area? Any specific tribe really a name in Maryland or Northern Virginia area?

This is wrong, as has been pointed out repeatedly. You can read through this thread and find tons of other Native American leaders, tribes and regular old people who have spoken up in opposition to the name.

I don't really get what geography has to do with it. It's a slur that a large number of Native Americans find offensive. That much is not really up for debate. Pretty much every argument that the team has made to the contrary has been exposed as a lie, from the guy they put in front of cameras to condone the name to the claim that they changed the name to "honor" a coach. If they have to lie to find support for their position in the Native American community that should probably tell you something.

It's up to you whether you're cool with offending some Native Americans as long as the number of offended is less than some arbitrary number, or just how many Native Americans in a particular geographic area would have to be offended for you to think it's worth the untold horrors that might unfold if a sports team changes its name. Personally I think that's a little silly, but whatever.

TobiasFunke said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

This is wrong, as has been pointed out repeatedly. You can read through this thread and find tons of other Native American leaders, tribes and regular old people who have spoken up in opposition to the name.

I don't really get what geography has to do with it. It's a slur that a large number of Native Americans find offensive. That much is not really up for debate. Pretty much every argument that the team has made to the contrary has been exposed as a lie, from the guy they put in front of cameras to condone the name to the claim that they changed the name to "honor" a coach. If they have to lie to find support for their position in the Native American community that should probably tell you something.

It's up to you whether you're cool with offending some Native Americans as long as the number of offended is less than some arbitrary number, or just how many Native Americans in a particular geographic area would have to be offended for you to think it's worth the untold horrors that might unfold if a sports team changes its name. Personally I think that's a little silly, but whatever.
Good lord, Tobias, I didn't even comment on the issue.

If anything I posted from the Oneida site a statement that reminds us that we owe the Oneida, we have an historical debt and duty to them.

There are thousands of tribes in this country, there is as much ethnic diversity as there is in Europe. It just seems like every time I hear a statement (I said "I recall") it's coming from the Oneida, and then I just said something very positive why they should carry weight.

By the way I'm surprised you don't know of any local tribes in the DC area. I can tell you that in LA if the Coushatta, Tunica and Houma wanted to make a stink about something people from US Senators to powerful state elgislators would jump, albeit they're not a factor in NO, but then again the Saints and Pels rely heavily on state funding (that's a polite way of putting it).

Given what happened with Cooke and the RFK Stadium back in teh day, I'm surprised the state of MD isn't getting some sort of pressure from some key local tribe to withhold use of the stadium and other state/local support. Is that happening and if so which tribe? Just asking.

TobiasFunke said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:

Good lord, Tobias, I didn't even comment on the issue.

If anything I posted from the Oneida site a statement that reminds us that we owe the Oneida, we have an historical debt and duty to them.

There are thousands of tribes in this country, there is as much ethnic diversity as there is in Europe. It just seems like every time I hear a statement (I said "I recall") it's coming from the Oneida, and then I just said something very positive why they should carry weight.

By the way I'm surprised you don't know of any local tribes in the DC area. I can tell you that in LA if the Coushatta, Tunica and Houma wanted to make a stink about something people from US Senators to powerful state elgislators would jump, albeit they're not a factor in NO, but then again the Saints and Pels rely heavily on state funding (that's a polite way of putting it).

Given what happened with Cooke and the RFK Stadium back in teh day, I'm surprised the state of MD isn't getting some sort of pressure from some key local tribe to withhold use of the stadium and other state/local support. Is that happening and if so which tribe? Just asking.
You asked if any tribe other than the Oneidas has expressed opposition to the name. I pointed out that yes, many have, as has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread and elsewhere.

I didn't say anything about not knowing tribes in the region. Not sure why you said I don't. You can google the information yourself and get a result in about five seconds.

And yes, I assumed that you were asking (1) whether other tribes had a problem with it, and (2) specifically about local tribes, because you thought the answers to those questions relevant to the subject of the thread, whether the name should be changed or not. Seemed like a reasonable assumption, and I responded based on that. What that an incorrect assumption?

As to your next question- Fed Ex Field is owned by the team, not the state, so the state could not withhold use (there would be breach concerns anyway, I assume most sports teams have long-term leases).

Snyder owns the stadium and land. The state/county does provide police service (traffic and crowd control), but I doubt they'd ever withhold that.

I heard someone recently suggest changing the name to a local tribe name, assuming a local tribe approves. The Richmond Times Dispatch talked to three Virginia chiefs last year who support the name. So, maybe we can have the Washington Patawomecks? Washington Pamunkies? Washington Rappahanocks? That would be weird.

Or from Maryland, you have the Washington Piscataways or Washington Pocomokes?

Snyder owns the stadium and land. The state/county does provide police service (traffic and crowd control), but I doubt they'd ever withhold that.

I heard someone recently suggest changing the name to a local tribe name, assuming a local tribe approves. The Richmond Times Dispatch talked to three Virginia chiefs last year who support the name. So, maybe we can have the Washington Patawomecks? Washington Pamunkies? Washington Rappahanocks? That would be weird.

Or maybe Washington Potomacs, which is probably linked with the Patawomeck tribe name:

"Potomac" is a European spelling of Patowmeck, the Algonquian name of a Native American village, perhaps meaning "something brought".[3]Native Americans had different names for different parts of the river, calling the river above the falls Cohongarooton, meaning "honking geese".[4][5] The spelling of the name has taken many forms over the years from "Patawomeke" (as on Captain John Smith's map) to "Patawomeck", "Patowmack", and numerous other spellings in the 18th century and now "Potomac".[5] The river's name was officially decided upon as Potomac by the Board on Geographic Names in 1931.

That would be kinda cool if the tribe was on board, as is the case with the Seminoles and FSU. Would be a weird process to choose one, though. I know the Rappahanock tribe doesn't mind the current name but the Piscataway are not so keen on it.

Or maybe Washington Potomacs, which is probably linked with the Patawomeck tribe name:

"Potomac" is a European spelling of Patowmeck, the Algonquian name of a Native American village, perhaps meaning "something brought".[3]Native Americans had different names for different parts of the river, calling the river above the falls Cohongarooton, meaning "honking geese".[4][5] The spelling of the name has taken many forms over the years from "Patawomeke" (as on Captain John Smith's map) to "Patawomeck", "Patowmack", and numerous other spellings in the 18th century and now "Potomac".[5] The river's name was officially decided upon as Potomac by the Board on Geographic Names in 1931.
Actually I love that idea, it reminds me of the SD Sioux or the FSU Seminoles.

That would be kinda cool if the tribe was on board, as is the case with the Seminoles and FSU. Would be a weird process to choose one, though. I know the Rappahanock tribe doesn't mind the current name but the Piscataway are not so keen on it.
Yeah, the process to pick a tribe could be tough. Not sure if any one tribe is dominant in the area or not.

As with Potomac, there's no shortage of other American Indian words associated with the region. Chesapeake could be another one. The Washington Mattawoman and the rest of the league could make fun of the team for being a bunch of women...unless that's offensive, of course ;) .

I have total respect for people's viewpoints. I couldn't stand face to face with an Oneida and say, 'hey you shouldn't be offended.'

On the other hand, I think if the local tribes take pride in the name or don't care, then that should carry a lot of weight. It would also carry more weight than anything if they opposed it.

“It doesn’t bother me,” said Robert Green, 66 and chief of the Patawomeck Tribe in Virginia. “About 98 percent of my tribe is Redskins fans, and it doesn’t offend them, either.”
Kevin Brown, 58 and chief of the Pamunkey Tribe of Virginia, said, “I’m a Redskins fan, and I don’t think there’s any intention for (the nickname) to be derogatory. The majority of the people in my tribe don’t have a problem with it. There are a few who do, and we respect their feelings.
“I like the uniforms. I like the symbol (logo).”
G. Anne Richardson, chief of Virginia’s Rappahannock Tribe, had to stifle a laugh when asked her feelings on the Redskins’ nickname.
“I don’t have an issue with it,” she said. “There are so many more issues that are important for the tribe than to waste time on what a team is called. We’re worried about real things, and I don’t consider that a real thing.
“We’re more worried about our kids being educated, our people housed, elder care and the survival of our culture. We’ve been in that survival mode for 400 years. We’re not worried about how some ball team is named.”
But if the ball team did not have a nickname some believe denigrates an indigenous culture, those making decisions to provide money for education, housing, elder care and the preservation of that culture might take the issues more seriously.
“That has nothing to do with why we don’t receive the benefits we deserve,” Richardson said. “Congress is not willing to do what they need to do so we will get what we deserve.
“Congress is not willing to do what most Americans need right now, so I don’t feel so bad.”
For the record, Richardson, 57, is a football fan.
“I’m not a Redskins fan, but I cheer for them when they’re not playing my team,” she said.
And her team is?
“I can’t say,” she said. “They’ll impeach me.”
Brownisn’t bothered by the way some fans of the Washington team dress or behave at games.
“I don’t mind the nuts with headdresses on,” he said. “Fans are crazy.”
There was only one reason Brown said should be considered for changing the team’s nickname.
“It’s just a distraction,” he said. “It’s always brought up when I’m watching the games. I don’t like hearing it. I get tired of the whole controversy. Leave it alone or change it.”
http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/professional/football/redskins/article_26b0f8d8-eb22-52f0-87df-c05e24bbfc0e.html

It seems to me it's also difficult for any anglo person to similarly tell a Patawomeck, Rappahannock or Pamunkey why they are wrong for not feeling offended. And if a name change were to occur it would start with the local tribes that have the most influence in the area.

I have total respect for people's viewpoints. I couldn't stand face to face with an Oneida and say, 'hey you shouldn't be offended.'

On the other hand, I think if the local tribes take pride in the name or don't care, then that should carry a lot of weight. It would also carry more weight than anything if they opposed it.

“It doesn’t bother me,” said Robert Green, 66 and chief of the Patawomeck Tribe in Virginia. “About 98 percent of my tribe is Redskins fans, and it doesn’t offend them, either.”
Kevin Brown, 58 and chief of the Pamunkey Tribe of Virginia, said, “I’m a Redskins fan, and I don’t think there’s any intention for (the nickname) to be derogatory. The majority of the people in my tribe don’t have a problem with it. There are a few who do, and we respect their feelings.
G. Anne Richardson, chief of Virginia’s Rappahannock Tribe, had to stifle a laugh when asked her feelings on the Redskins’ nickname.
“I don’t have an issue with it,” she said. “There are so many more issues that are important for the tribe than to waste time on what a team is called. We’re worried about real things, and I don’t consider that a real thing.
“We’re more worried about our kids being educated, our people housed, elder care and the survival of our culture. We’ve been in that survival mode for 400 years. We’re not worried about how some ball team is named.”
But if the ball team did not have a nickname some believe denigrates an indigenous culture, those making decisions to provide money for education, housing, elder care and the preservation of that culture might take the issues more seriously.
“That has nothing to do with why we don’t receive the benefits we deserve,” Richardson said. “Congress is not willing to do what they need to do so we will get what we deserve.
“Congress is not willing to do what most Americans need right now, so I don’t feel so bad.”
“I’m not a Redskins fan, but I cheer for them when they’re not playing my team,” she said.
And her team is?
Brownisn’t bothered by the way some fans of the Washington team dress or behave at games.
There was only one reason Brown said should be considered for changing the team’s nickname.
“It’s just a distraction,” he said. “It’s always brought up when I’m watching the games. I don’t like hearing it. I get tired of the whole controversy. Leave it alone or change it.”
http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/professional/football/redskins/article_26b0f8d8-eb22-52f0-87df-c05e24bbfc0e.html

It seems to me it's also difficult for any anglo person to similarly tell a Patawomeck, Rappahannock or Pamunkey why they are wrong for not feeling offended. And if a name change were to occur it would start with the local tribes that have the most influence in the area.
On the bolded- nobody is doing that. That's never been a part of the discussion. Only the opposite is true- people are telling those who ARE offended that they should not be.

Also, I disagree that the local tribes carry significantly more weight on the subject than others. If some Jews in New York considered "****" to be a term of affection but lots of other Jews (and other people) considered it a slur, would you be OK with the NY Knicks changing their name to the NY Kikes? It's not a local high school- the name is on TV screens and newspapers and websites across the world.

Finally, if you do think the local tribes' opinion is vastly more important for some reason, here's one that thinks it should be changed.

ETA: if you think the local tribes have the most influence in the area, you're out of your mind. Even the tribal leaders would laugh at that. Any Skins starter coming out against the name would have a bigger impact than any tribal leader's statement. If RGIII said he didn't like it they'd change the name before he finished the sentence.

As I grew up in the town of Piscataway, NJ, I may have to switch my only remaining non-local allegiance and start pulling for them if they change their name to the Piscataways.

And her team is?

On the bolded- nobody is doing that. That's never been a part of the discussion. Only the opposite is true- people are telling those who ARE offended that they should not be.

Also, I disagree that the local tribes carry significantly more weight on the subject than others. If some Jews in New York considered "****" to be a term of affection but lots of other Jews (and other people) considered it a slur, would you be OK with the NY Knicks changing their name to the NY Kikes? It's not a local high school- the name is on TV screens and newspapers and websites across the world.

Finally, if you do think the local tribes' opinion is vastly more important for some reason, here's one that thinks it should be changed.
"Look up the word 'Redskins,' it's a racial slur for North American Indians," said Billy Redwing Tayac, chief of the Piscataway Indian Nation, an indigenous people of the Chesapeake Bay region, including parts of Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Delaware.

"It is derogatory," says Mervyn Savoy, chairwoman of the Piscataway-Canoy Tribe, an Indian tribe native to Maryland.

For three decades, Tayac and Savoy have been trying to persuade the Washington Redskins to change the team's name. Both say they had meetings with the team's previous owner, Jack Kent Cooke, to no avail and both say that the current owner, Daniel Snyder, has refused to meet with them.
That is wild, it's like two totally different articles. Odd how the Piscataway chief was left out of that first one from Richmond but you plainly showed there are several tribes, and the Piscataway-Canoy are actually in MD,

I really do think the local tribes matter, interesting stuff, thanks.

Snyder owns the stadium and land. The state/county does provide police service (traffic and crowd control), but I doubt they'd ever withhold that.I heard someone recently suggest changing the name to a local tribe name, assuming a local tribe approves. The Richmond Times Dispatch talked to three Virginia chiefs last year who support the name. So, maybe we can have the Washington Patawomecks? Washington Pamunkies? Washington Rappahanocks? That would be weird.

It doesnt bother me, said Robert Green, 66 and chief of the Patawomeck Tribe in Virginia. About 98 percent of my tribe is Redskins fans, and it doesnt offend them, either.

Kevin Brown, 58 and chief of the Pamunkey Tribe of Virginia, said, Im a Redskins fan, and I dont think theres any intention for (the nickname) to be derogatory. The majority of the people in my tribe dont have a problem with it. There are a few who do, and we respect their feelings.

I like the uniforms. I like the symbol (logo).

G. Anne Richardson, chief of Virginias Rappahannock Tribe, had to stifle a laugh when asked her feelings on the Redskins nickname.

I dont have an issue with it, she said. There are so many more issues that are important for the tribe than to waste time on what a team is called. Were worried about real things, and I dont consider that a real thing.

Were more worried about our kids being educated, our people housed, elder care and the survival of our culture. Weve been in that survival mode for 400 years. Were not worried about how some ball team is named.

That has nothing to do with why we dont receive the benefits we deserve, Richardson said. Congress is not willing to do what they need to do so we will get what we deserve.

Congress is not willing to do what most Americans need right now, so I dont feel so bad.

Im not a Redskins fan, but I cheer for them when theyre not playing my team, she said.

And her team is?

I cant say, she said. Theyll impeach me.

Brownisnt bothered by the way some fans of the Washington team dress or behave at games.

I dont mind the nuts with headdresses on, he said. Fans are crazy.

There was only one reason Brown said should be considered for changing the teams nickname.

Its just a distraction, he said. Its always brought up when Im watching the games. I dont like hearing it. I get tired of the whole controversy. Leave it alone or change it.

ETA: if you think the local tribes have the most influence in the area, you're out of your mind. Even the tribal leaders would laugh at that. Any Skins starter coming out against the name would have a bigger impact than any tribal leader's statement. If RGIII said he didn't like it they'd change the name before he finished the sentence.
Have any players come out against the name?

If someone who isn't on a phone wouldn't mind copying and pasting the article, I'd sure appreciate it.

It would be nice to see how everyone else feels about an actual study that shows that 65% of Native Americans (not 10%) find the term racist.

One of the oft-repeated statistics in the on-going debate over the name Redskins is that very few Native Americans are actually offended by the term. Youve likely heard Roger Goodell, or Dan Snyder, or Rick Reilly claim that only 10 percent of Native Americans object to the term. Even those who have argued for changing the name have generally accepted this statistic as fact, stating their case as well, isnt 10 percent still too much? And honestly, that would be an interesting conversation to have, but as it turns out, we dont need to have it, because all that talk about Native Americans supporting the name is a great big pile of horse####. Try and look surprised.

According to a recent survey conducted by California State University, 67 percent of Native Americans find the name Redskins as well as the imagery around it to be racist. Additionally, 65.5 percent of respondents believed that non-Natives using the phrase was racist, compared to just 17.8 percent who didnt.

But what about the infamous 2004 survey that so many defenders of the name have cited, in which it stated that only nine percent of Native Americans found the name to be offensive? Well, as it turns out that study was a lot of bunk. As the Buzzfeed article points out, no effort was made to verify the tribal status of the respondents. So basically, any white dude with a tan could respond to the survey and say they were fine with the name, and be counted as a Native American. Conversely, Professor James Fenelon, who put the study together, put verification of respondents as a top priority, making sure every respondent was an active enrolled member of a tribal group. One more note about that infamous 2004 study: it also entirely left out Alaska, where more than half of all identified Native Americans live.

The debunking of the 2004 study, as well as the presence of new information that a ####-ton of native Americans are angry about the name is bad news for the pro-Redskins crowd. The 2004 survey has been a huge part of their argument for years. It made it all-too-easy to frame any non-Native person who disliked the term as a perpetually cranky member of the PC Police. Hey, youre more offended by than they are, theyd say. Another popular one: who are you to tell these proud people what they should be offended by?

Both of those arguments are out the window now, and Snyder and his ilk will have to defend the name knowing that a huge chunk of the people they claim to be honoring are really ####### pissed off. My guess is, whatever faint shreds of credibility their arguments may have still held will evaporate rather quickly.

One of the oft-repeated statistics in the on-going debate over the name Redskins is that very few Native Americans are actually offended by the term. Youve likely heard Roger Goodell, or Dan Snyder, or Rick Reilly claim that only 10 percent of Native Americans object to the term. Even those who have argued for changing the name have generally accepted this statistic as fact, stating their case as well, isnt 10 percent still too much? And honestly, that would be an interesting conversation to have, but as it turns out, we dont need to have it, because all that talk about Native Americans supporting the name is a great big pile of horse####. Try and look surprised.

According to a recent survey conducted by California State University, 67 percent of Native Americans find the name Redskins as well as the imagery around it to be racist. Additionally, 65.5 percent of respondents believed that non-Natives using the phrase was racist, compared to just 17.8 percent who didnt.

But what about the infamous 2004 survey that so many defenders of the name have cited, in which it stated that only nine percent of Native Americans found the name to be offensive? Well, as it turns out that study was a lot of bunk. As the Buzzfeed article points out, no effort was made to verify the tribal status of the respondents. So basically, any white dude with a tan could respond to the survey and say they were fine with the name, and be counted as a Native American. Conversely, Professor James Fenelon, who put the study together, put verification of respondents as a top priority, making sure every respondent was an active enrolled member of a tribal group. One more note about that infamous 2004 study: it also entirely left out Alaska, where more than half of all identified Native Americans live.

The debunking of the 2004 study, as well as the presence of new information that a ####-ton of native Americans are angry about the name is bad news for the pro-Redskins crowd. The 2004 survey has been a huge part of their argument for years. It made it all-too-easy to frame any non-Native person who disliked the term as a perpetually cranky member of the PC Police. Hey, youre more offended by than they are, theyd say. Another popular one: who are you to tell these proud people what they should be offended by?

Both of those arguments are out the window now, and Snyder and his ilk will have to defend the name knowing that a huge chunk of the people they claim to be honoring are really ####### pissed off. My guess is, whatever faint shreds of credibility their arguments may have still held will evaporate rather quickly.
I'm shocked, shocked I say, that a majority of native Americans find the term Redskin offensive.

Supposedly an email to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune.

Dear Mr. Page...

I always love your articles. and I generally agree with them. I would
suggest, as in an email I received, they change the name to the
"Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the
**** heads in Congress.

Here are some other politically correctness to consider: I agree with
our Native American population. I am highly insulted by the racially
charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a
professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as
fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in
the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.
Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland
Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name
Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland
Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of
militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white
folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team
named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to
that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion
among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New
Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and
pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the
Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to
our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or
even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a
growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children.

The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates . Wrong message to our
children.

The Milwaukee Brewers---well that goes without saying . . . Wrong
message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to
rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become
involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the
do-nothing congress loves . . .

As a die hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind,
it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State
women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers."

tonydead said:
A blog from kissingsuzykobler means what now?
It's not really the blog entry that's important. It's the CSU survey information it relates. If it's true, those defending the name will lose the last rational argument they've hid behind: that most Native Americans don't find the name and imagery offensive.

Here's the press release from the department that did the survey, if for some reason you thought KSK fabricated it. Getting picked up by other outlets today, too.

I'd be surprised if the name isn't changed by the start of the 2015 season. They'll cite this survey as evidence of "a significant shift in attitudes" and hide behind the poorly done 2004 Annenberg survey as the reason they didn't do it sooner.

otello said:
One more note about that infamous 2004 study: it also entirely left out Alaska, where more than half of all identified Native Americans live.
:confused:

Not sure where they got this number. By "more than half", did they mean "about 4%", which is what the American Community Survey says (98,976/2,529,100=0.039135)? Or is this only based on who James Fenelon deems worthy of being a Native Amercian?

Both surveys likely have problems.

And here's the question:

The Redskins team name is a racial or racist word and symbol.
"racial"? Of course it's "racial". So someone who says the word "Redskins" is "racial" is counted with those who say the word is "racist". Two different words, IMO. I would have answered yes to that question.

And here's the question:

"racial"? Of course it's "racial". So someone who says the word "Redskins" is "racial" is counted with those who say the word is "racist". Two different words, IMO. I would have answered yes to that question.
Read the rest of it.And really? If someone asked you "Is the Redskins name racial or racist" you would say "yes" and not believe that it's racist?

And here's the question:

That would be a great point if it were the only question asked, and I'm not sure why they phrased it like that. But they also asked if it was disrespectful (question 2) and the % of yes responses was even higher, so that pretty much takes care of that argument.

And here's the question:

Read the rest of it.
I'm more of a skimmer than a reader.

Yes, those other questions looks better. No data for questions 2-4?

And here's the question:

Read the rest of it.
I'm more of a skimmer than a reader.Yes, those other questions looks better. No data for questions 2-4?
It's only a press release. The data will be released in the full study, no doubt.

And here's the question:

Read the rest of it.
I'm more of a skimmer than a reader.Yes, those other questions looks better. No data for questions 2-4?
It's only a press release. The data will be released in the full study, no doubt.
I assume. I'll also be interested in reading the methodology so we can find out how they "properly identified and polled" Native Americans.

And here's the question:

Read the rest of it.And really? If someone asked you "Is the Redskins name racial or racist" you would say "yes" and not believe that it's racist?
:shrug: That's the meaning of "or". I don't have to agree with both parts to answer Yes. Obviously the actual respondents may not have answered the same way. They may have read into the intent of the question rather than the actual wording.

And here's the question:

Read the rest of it.
:lmao: And of course the "blog" translates this to a ####-ton of ######-pissed of native Americans.

Users who are viewing this thread