What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you think Snyder should change the name of the Redskins? (1 Viewer)

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

• No

Votes: 312 43.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 320 44.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 89 12.3%

• Total voters
Thru the freedom of information, a news source requested all the letters protesting the use of Redskins. The gov't had none. Not one letter.
I guess they didn't follow the link I put in this thread to the evidence used in the tribunal. The court had dozens and dozens that were sent directly to the Redskins in the 90s.
Dozens? So we're going to change something because dozens of people don't agree with it? Holy crap can you imagine if we did this with other things in this country?
Are you under the impression that the number of people who are offended by something is equal to the number who write a letter?

But how much is enough to enact change? I've always said if the majority of NAs are offended, then by all means, change it. But from the numbers I've seen, it doesn't sound like more than 30% are offended by it. Is that enough to make a change? I don't know.

Thru the freedom of information, a news source requested all the letters protesting the use of Redskins. The gov't had none. Not one letter.
I guess they didn't follow the link I put in this thread to the evidence used in the tribunal. The court had dozens and dozens that were sent directly to the Redskins in the 90s.
Dozens? So we're going to change something because dozens of people don't agree with it? Holy crap can you imagine if we did this with other things in this country?
Is dozens more than none?

You can do better than this.
Lol there were dozens of people that believed Obama wasn't born in this country. Does that mean he isn't?
It's only 9 am, and I've already read the worst argument I'll read today. Kind of takes the shine off of work today.

But how much is enough to enact change? I've always said if the majority of NAs are offended, then by all means, change it. But from the numbers I've seen, it doesn't sound like more than 30% are offended by it. Is that enough to make a change? I don't know.

Is dozens more than none?

You can do better than this.
Lol there were dozens of people that believed Obama wasn't born in this country. Does that mean he isn't?
It's only 9 am, and I've already read the worst argument I'll read today. Kind of takes the shine off of work today.
I know right?! Arguing that dozens of people wrote letters about something and saying we need to change that!

Wait, why would the government have letters protesting the Redskins' name? There's not a National Office for Fielding Complaints About Potentially Disparaging Trademarks (NOFCAPDT).

Right. There's plenty of room to argue about how many Native Americans truly don't like it, and whether that warrants a change. To me the number is pretty low, because the cost of changing it is so insignificant. It's the name of a sports team. Two NBA teams changed names in the last two years, pretty sure the world hasn't ended. In fact they both have significantly brighter futures than they did before the name changes. Maybe this is what our miserable franchise needs.

People can disagree with my conclusion and argue that the name is super important for some reason and that outweighs the negatives surrounding the name. That's a reasonable disagreement. But what they can't do is stick their head in the sand and pretend that nobody is really offended by or opposed to the name. Clearly there's a lot of people and Native Americans who are.
Tobias, you and I agree on alot of different topics (especially UNC bball), but this one I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Like you said, this is insignificant, so what does changing it really do? All of a sudden are the Native Americans going to stop suffering from poverty, alcoholism, gambling addiction, etc.? Doubtful. Are all these people that are crusading for a name change just going to forget about Native Americans if they finally get the Redskins to change their name? More than likely. Let's do more to help these people better their lives. There's been numerous NAs that have come out and say they see the name as an honor and tribute to their past. I just don't think changing the name of a sports team does anything for them when there are so many other things WE as a country can do for them.
Arguing that we shouldn't do the right thing because there are much more important things to worry about is a fraudulent argument. You could make that argument in response to everyone who cares about everything, except maybe people trying to stop genocide or nuclear war or something.

Also, it's patronizing to tell the Native Americans who think it's slur and that its use dehumanizes them and tell them that there are bigger fish to fry so they just have to suck it up and deal with it. Silly Native Americans with their misplaced priorities, right! Clearly the white man knows what's good for them! Why don't they just let us use whatever words we want to refer to them and worry about their poverty and alcoholism first, right? :hifive:

Seriously- Native American organizations have explained many times why they think this is important. You can read it here or here or in the PTO decision on the name or in lots of other places.
Again, I just feel like we're going to go in circles here. I'm all for chaning it if a majority feel it should be changed. However, we aren't there yet. Will we ever? I don't know. There just seems to be so many contradicting stories from both sides that it's hard to know who is actually telling the truth anymore.

I know right?! Arguing that dozens of people wrote letters about something and saying we need to change that!
Oh, sorry, I missed that. Where's the link that says we should change something because dozens of people wrote letters? That will probably make me appreciate your argument more.

Right. There's plenty of room to argue about how many Native Americans truly don't like it, and whether that warrants a change. To me the number is pretty low, because the cost of changing it is so insignificant. It's the name of a sports team. Two NBA teams changed names in the last two years, pretty sure the world hasn't ended. In fact they both have significantly brighter futures than they did before the name changes. Maybe this is what our miserable franchise needs.

People can disagree with my conclusion and argue that the name is super important for some reason and that outweighs the negatives surrounding the name. That's a reasonable disagreement. But what they can't do is stick their head in the sand and pretend that nobody is really offended by or opposed to the name. Clearly there's a lot of people and Native Americans who are.
Tobias, you and I agree on alot of different topics (especially UNC bball), but this one I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Like you said, this is insignificant, so what does changing it really do? All of a sudden are the Native Americans going to stop suffering from poverty, alcoholism, gambling addiction, etc.? Doubtful. Are all these people that are crusading for a name change just going to forget about Native Americans if they finally get the Redskins to change their name? More than likely. Let's do more to help these people better their lives. There's been numerous NAs that have come out and say they see the name as an honor and tribute to their past. I just don't think changing the name of a sports team does anything for them when there are so many other things WE as a country can do for them.
Arguing that we shouldn't do the right thing because there are much more important things to worry about is a fraudulent argument. You could make that argument in response to everyone who cares about everything, except maybe people trying to stop genocide or nuclear war or something.

Also, it's patronizing to tell the Native Americans who think it's slur and that its use dehumanizes them and tell them that there are bigger fish to fry so they just have to suck it up and deal with it. Silly Native Americans with their misplaced priorities, right! Clearly the white man knows what's good for them! Why don't they just let us use whatever words we want to refer to them and worry about their poverty and alcoholism first, right? :hifive:

Seriously- Native American organizations have explained many times why they think this is important. You can read it here or here or in the PTO decision on the name or in lots of other places.
Again, I just feel like we're going to go in circles here. I'm all for chaning it if a majority feel it should be changed. However, we aren't there yet. Will we ever? I don't know. There just seems to be so many contradicting stories from both sides that it's hard to know who is actually telling the truth anymore.
Why does it have to be a majority? It's OK to disparage/offend 45% of Native Americans but not 55% of them? That doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe we should all just realize...one guy said something really stupid in an attempt to throw a hammer down on this controversy. Now we can all go back to our days...

And in case anyone wanted to read any of them - Here are about 150 pages of letters written in the 90s. Obviously, those are just the ones actually included in the evidence before the tribunal.

Why does it have to be a majority? It's OK to disparage/offend 45% of Native Americans but not 55% of them? That doesn't make sense to me.
You may be right. But how many is enough? 10%? 30%? 45%? I honestly don't know the answer.

Nobody knows what percentage needs to find it disparaging. It's not defined by the statute. I would say that 30% of a political and ethnic minority finding a federal trademark disparaging is a non-trivial percentage, IMO. And because federal trademark protection is actually restrictive of speech (keep in mind that the point of a trademark is to allow Daniel Snyder to keep other people from using the term Redskins in commerce), I think that any non-trivial percentage of a clearly defined group should suffice under the statute because we're really only balancing the need to prevent consumer confusion against the possible offense.

You may be right. But how many is enough? 10%? 30%? 45%? I honestly don't know the answer.
Right, that's the question. How many people is it OK to offend and disparage (plus how many fans like myself that don't like the name and don't support the team as much as we would otherwise with merchandise buys and whatnot) before that outweighs the benefits of keeping the name?

I think the benefits are wildly exaggerated and I'm not really a fan or offending and disparaging minorities, so for me the threshold is pretty low. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:

Right, that's the question. How many people is it OK to offend and disparage (plus how many fans like myself that don't like the name and don't support the team as much as we would otherwise with merchandise buys and whatnot) before that outweighs the benefits of keeping the name?

I think the benefits are wildly exaggerated and I'm not really a fan or offending and disparaging minorities, so for me the threshold is pretty low. YMMV.
there you go-- let the fans / season ticketholders vote.. they are the ones paying the bills

If 51% of the people descended from the people who committed mass genocide believe that a team name is disparaging to the small remnant of the descendants of those people slaughtered for centuries in the genocide, then it should change.

Makes sense.

there you go-- let the fans / season ticketholders vote.. they are the ones paying the bills
Paying the bills has nothing to do with it. I assume everyone agrees that the team has a right to call itself whatever it wants. It's about what they should do. Lots of people have a stake in that, not just ownership and fans of the team - most notably Native Americans. If it were the 1930s and we were debating about whether this place should change its name and mascot you wouldn't say that only people who buy their chicken get to have a say, right?

earlier in the thread you were asking why non Redskins fans cared about the name change :shrug: I say let the fans decide
I said I didn't understand why non-Redskins fans who want to keep the name care about it one way or another. I understand why non-fans who want the name changed feel they have a stake.

I could care less either way what they end up doing. However, if I was a Redskins' fan, I would vote to keep the name as is. Last thing I would want is a new team name like the "Pelicans" or something equally awful.

I could care less either way what they end up doing. However, if I was a Redskins' fan, I would vote to keep the name as is. Last thing I would want is a new team name like the "Pelicans" or something equally awful.
Most sports team names are relatively new either because the team was an expansion team or because they team changed cities and names or because they just thought something else was better. They sound funny for a while, then we all get used to it and life goes on. The Redskins used to be the Braves. Hell, even the country's most famous and recognized sports franchise used to be called something else at one point. There were probably tons of whiners in NY during the WWI era that thought "Yankees" sounded funny and they wished they were still called the Highlanders.

hey sheik how can you be so down on dsp for being racist against you and then be so for this nickname it is the same thing just to another group of people i think you are all right but i think you are one being a hipocrate and two wrong about this one it is a horrible name and please think this one through take that to the bank fellow bromerican
The difference is huge. You're comparing Hitler to oranges.

My guess is this is more an indication of the lack of transparency and typical flouting of record retention laws in today's government than a lack of direct protest.

People complain to the feds about a host of things they have no involvement in from potholes to noisy parrots to Santa Claus.

Hey maybe all the complaints are actually Cowboys fans trying to surreptitiously embarrass the Redskins and steal their mojo by making them change their logo etc.

earlier in the thread you were asking why non Redskins fans cared about the name change :shrug: I say let the fans decide
I've said let the local Indian tribes around DC decide. There are 8-9 of them, if they're not offended by a good margin carry on. If they are let them pick a new name that they consider dignified and which represents them.

I've said let the local Indian tribes around DC decide. There are 8-9 of them, if they're not offended by a good margin carry on. If they are let them pick a new name that they consider dignified and which represents them.
Offended by a good margin?

So you'd be perfectly fine with offending 49% of them? Why don't those people's feelings matter?

TobiasFunke said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
Parrothead said:
Offended by a good margin?

So you'd be perfectly fine with offending 49% of them? Why don't those people's feelings matter?
Yeah I saw the discussion about trying to quantify the offendedness level for this or anything. Wasn't going to comment on it but am openminded on it.

I really don't think you can quantify as a general rule. I had this discussion with someone else on another topic recently - it's not just how many are offended but how intense is the anger (or is it even anger, as opposed to a preference or just a general impression).

So if you're doing this, include a quantification of the intensity. I'd say 5% of all 9 local tribes right out pssed off and ready to burn the Redskins facility down is more powerful than 90% of a suburban district which is kind of aggravated that a red light just got put up by the local grocery because it slows their commute to work.

Washington Districts. Logo could be a map of the city.

Washington Georgandrias. Mix of Georgetown and Allexandria (the disctricts included from the respective states). Logo could be one half maryland flag one half virginia flag.

Washington Settlers. Logo could be a log cabin. Bonus when gay GOP guys go to the games.

Washington 23rd's - in honor of the amendment to the Constitution that gave them electors. Logo can be a really cool looking 23 in America Flag type colors.

Washington Metro's - in honor of the best public transportation system in the country.

Nah, my favorite at the moment - the Washington Presidents - and the logo changes every time there is a new President. So it will be Obama for the next few years, then Christie for 8 years, then so on and so on.

Washington Georgandrias. Mix of Georgetown and Allexandria (the disctricts included from the respective states). Logo could be one half maryland flag one half virginia flag.

Washington Settlers. Logo could be a log cabin. Bonus when gay GOP guys go to the games.

Washington 23rd's - in honor of the amendment to the Constitution that gave them electors. Logo can be a really cool looking 23 in America Flag type colors.

Washington Metro's - in honor of the best public transportation system in the country.

Nah, my favorite at the moment - the Washington Presidents - and the logo changes every time there is a new President. So it will be Obama for the next few years, then Christie for 8 years, then so on and so on.
Way off topic, but how great would it be if a sitting president busted out a surprise appearance running alongside the racing presidents at a Nats game? he could put on the red jersey and emerge from the centerfield gate chugging along the warning track with the mascots. Would be epic.

Wha?

How about the Washington Lobbyists.

Or maybe the DC Quid Pro Quos.

The logo on the helmet and field could be a big fat gold bag with a green dollar sign, like this: " :moneybag: "

They would also be allowed to play with soft money which is outside the salary cap allowing them to sign an unlimited amount of players on their wish list without ever having to account for it.

Way off topic, but how great would it be if a sitting president busted out a surprise appearance running alongside the racing presidents at a Nats game? he could put on the red jersey and emerge from the centerfield gate chugging along the warning track with the mascots. Would be epic.
This is not a terrible idea.

Even better, get Bush 1, Bush 2, Obama and Clinton out there for a real race.

And Abe Lincoln's casket on a chariot.

Just realized that a local school has the mascot "Warriors." Drove by it today and on the granite slab outside it says "Warriors" and has a deception of a male's head with a Native American headdress on. Wonder how long it will take for that to change.

Carter too (I guess he could play the role of the oft-forgotten Taft).

Why would Cris Carter get to race with them? :confused:

Why would Cris Carter get to race with them? :confused:
It's his brother John. He's president of D&N Electric.

I would cheer for a Democrat for that.

Just realized that a local school has the mascot "Warriors." Drove by it today and on the granite slab outside it says "Warriors" and has a deception of a male's head with a Native American headdress on. Wonder how long it will take for that to change.
There have been at least a couple articles here of high schools with mostly Indian students which did not want to change the name.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/jul/02/for-wellpinit-students-redskins-a-source-of-pride/

I think we all know how that one would end.

With Clinton getting a bj? :confused:

It would go like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSqkdcT25ss

It just occurred to me that the word Indian is also offensive to Native Americans. Why is there no push for Indiana and Indianapolis to change their names?

It just occurred to me that the word Indian is also offensive to Native Americans. Why is there no push for Indiana and Indianapolis to change their names?
This is one of those points where you realize that the type of question being asked already tells you that the answer you give won't be understood.

Users who are viewing this thread