What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you think Snyder should change the name of the Redskins? (2 Viewers)

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

• No

Votes: 312 43.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 320 44.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 89 12.3%

• Total voters
#### Thanksgiving‏ @lilnativeboy 13h13 hours ago

Also isn’t it funny how a football team is named after a racial slur and they are playing on Thanksgiving Day

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000801421/article/previewing-the-2017-thanksgiving-day-slate

The Washington Redskins will host their NFC East rivals New York Giants in the third game on November 23. The 'Skins are no stranger to Thanksgiving games -- this will be their 10th appearance -- but they often played at Texas Stadium or AT&T Stadium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Away fans are typically well represented.  Last week looked about 50% Vikings fans.
Well the game's in NO, he's my guest.

The Redskins have traditionally been a tough opponent for the Saints, historically there are like 10 teams that the Saints have beaten roughly only about a 1/3rd of the time, they're one of them.

I feel due to recent event the answer to this question has to hands down be a yes. Too much attention is being paid to confederate issues and not enough to the pre-civil war America.

What's wrong is wrong and if Dan Snyder cant see that, then he can deal with the fallout from protesters. 

The Washington vampires?  I mean they always suck anyway....

Wait.......what about the people who identify as vampires?!  ####!  Nevermind....

Could make it something very hip and trendy while at the same time pertinent to the competitive nature of the franchise.....

How about:  The Washington Byes?  Trendy because its a homophone of "bi" which is all the rage now and everybody's doing it and pertinent because they are the closest thing the other NFL teams get to a bye week.  

I was on the fence for a while but now i say change it.  I spent time on a number of Indian reservations all over the country and i would notice they am were always redskins fans.  When i asked about the name not one person had a problem with it.  I even had one person tell me they feared if all the teams changed their names that referenced them It would be like erasing them from history.  The only name i heard someone tell me they didn’t like was the chiefs, mostly because that is a very respected name and someone needs to earn the right to be a chief.  Ultimately if there are people that are offended by it which it seems there are, just change the name.  But i think we definitely should keep it as a reference to American Indian culture. Even better let’s work with American Indians to find the new name.  

I was on the fence for a while but now i say change it.  I spent time on a number of Indian reservations all over the country and i would notice they am were always redskins fans.  When i asked about the name not one person had a problem with it.  I even had one person tell me they feared if all the teams changed their names that referenced them It would be like erasing them from history.  The only name i heard someone tell me they didn’t like was the chiefs, mostly because that is a very respected name and someone needs to earn the right to be a chief.  Ultimately if there are people that are offended by it which it seems there are, just change the name.  But i think we definitely should keep it as a reference to American Indian culture. Even better let’s work with American Indians to find the new name.  
Name should have been changed a long time ago.   KC Chiefs will have to change as well, Cleveland Indians, Fighting Irish should change, FSU needs to dump Seminoles.  Any name or logo that uses any group of people will probably have to be changed.

Name should have been changed a long time ago.   KC Chiefs will have to change as well, Cleveland Indians, Fighting Irish should change, FSU needs to dump Seminoles.  Any name or logo that uses any group of people will probably have to be changed.
From what I have the read, Seminoles have no problem with FSU using their name (maybe that has changed in the last year or so).

Chiefs is not considered pejorative, unlike "Redskins" so that will probably remain.

Cleveland Indians should go.

I haven't seen much outrage from Irish Americans over "Fighting Irish" and clamoring for that to be changed.

From what I have the read, Seminoles have no problem with FSU using their name (maybe that has changed in the last year or so).

Chiefs is not considered pejorative, unlike "Redskins" so that will probably remain.

Cleveland Indians should go.

I haven't seen much outrage from Irish Americans over "Fighting Irish" and clamoring for that to be changed.
Would you call an Indian man Chief?

You can`t pick and choose in PC situations.  If there are any changes they have to be wholesale so I am sure you understand that.

About the Fighting Irish it does not matter as it is not up to us.  It is offends a handful that is too many today. Indian logos and names have been changed by administration without people clamoring for a change or even wanting one. So it probably should go and it makes people of Irish descent an object. Max Kellerman thinks ND should change as well.   If we want real change it has to be everyone.

You can`t pick and choose in PC situations.  If there are any changes they have to be wholesale so I am sure you understand that.

About the Fighting Irish it does not matter, Indian logos and names have been changed by administration without people clamoring for a change or even wanting one. So it probably should go and it project people of Irish descent. Max Kellerman thinks ND should change as well.   If we want real change it has to be everyone.
Right.  To people i spoke with chiefs was much more offensive.  Yankees?  Change that too.  Change em all. 

PETA will make sure all the animal names change as well

Why not just get rid of all team names and just say a bunch of people playing against another bunch of people. This crap is so beyond ridiculous anymore. Every single thing someone has to look for a race component.

About the Fighting Irish it does not matter as it is not up to us.  It is offends a handful that is too many today. Indian logos and names have been changed by administration without people clamoring for a change or even wanting one. So it probably should go and it makes people of Irish descent an object. Max Kellerman thinks ND should change as well.   If we want real change it has to be everyone.
Meh. I don't think every single name that a few people find offensive or not PC has to changed wholesale.

And I wouldn't call anyone Chief.

Why not just get rid of all team names and just say a bunch of people playing against another bunch of people. This crap is so beyond ridiculous anymore. Every single thing someone has to look for a race component.
You don't have to look too hard to find a race component in the use of "Redskin"

You don't have to look too hard to find a race component in the use of "Redskin"
And I guess you are one those that love to look for any component. If you read above some of the actual people that you say are offended seemed to want to keep it. But keep fighting the fight.

And I guess you are one those that love to look for any component. If you read above some of the actual people that you say are offended seemed to want to keep it. But keep fighting the fight.
True but i did not speak to every American Indian in this country.  It is apparent that some are offended by it.  So if that’s the case then change it.  What’s the downside?   It’s not like someone said I’m offended by tigers change that name.  This has actual historical context behind it.  

Someone said keep the name but change the logo to a Redskin Potato.  I guess that would work as the name recognition would stay but it would not be offensive to anyone.

Someone said keep the name but change the logo to a Redskin Potato.  I guess that would work as the name recognition would stay but it would not be offensive to anyone.
Plus it would be more representative of what they’ve lookEd like on the field the last few decades.....I can get behind this one. 

But it would not be offensive to anyone.
It would be offensive to anyone who doesn't like stupid team names or logos.  :hophead:

Reminds me of PETA's suggestion that Green Bay change its name from The Packers to The Pickers (because of the association with a slaughterhouse meat packing plant that originally owned the team).

My suggestion? Take a page from Florida State: rename them the Washington Piscataway- that’s the indigenous Native American tribe that is from Washington DC. 

Of course. And Cleveland too. Maybe even Kansas City. Gotta go. 
Atlanta Braves, FSU Seminoles, Fighting Irish, Chicago Blackhawks  Any nickname or logo that depicts any group of people has  gotta go!

This weeks NFL game of the week match-up:  The San Francisco Soft Feathers vs. the Baltimore Bubble Wraps.

Hold on......we are getting reports of protesters crying and kneeling in the streets....looks like the Place Your Stuff Carefully In A Box Union (formerly known as the Packers Union) has taken issue with the term "Bubble Wrap".  And...just now...a second cousin to the son's wife's brother of Elton John has filed a lawsuit against the use of "Feathers". 

I regret to inform you that the NFL season has been delayed indefinitely due to the lack of nouns in the English language that are non offensive.

I shouldn't be surprised at the latest attempt to equate an actual offensive term being used as a team nickname with an animal nickname, but I am disappointed.

Good afternoon human beings, and also to our friends who do not identify as human beings-

Welcome to the Football Stadium in Washington for today's game between the Team From Philadelphia, versus your own, Team From Washington!

Please everyone joins us in singing, standing, kneeling, praying, laying, or just relaxing, as we play the national anthems of all 257 countries of the world!

Thank you fans for remembering NOT to boo- the Stadium in Washington is a judgement free zone- and  though we will not keep score (as you know we are all winners), we hope you enjoy the game!

:D :banned:

the Washington football team name is a slur - i been carping (does that denigrate Piscean-Americans?) about it for decades because it offends me deeply. none of the other are slurs. they are characterizations of battling entities

the name has seemed a slur ever since i first considered that it might be.

and this will offend some, maybe most, maybe me,

but in light of NASCAR, might the name be changed to the Washington Redskins Lives Matter?

Win-Win

The 49ers nickname has to go too, how does that nickname get a pass?

Real Story of the 49ers

From the article I linked:

“The original 49ers carried out one of the most horrific campaigns of genocide in the history of North America.”

the Washington football team name is a slur - i been carping (does that denigrate Piscean-Americans?) about it for decades because it offends me deeply. none of the other are slurs. they are characterizations of battling entities
you get deeply offended by a team name? That's quite the privilege you have.

you get deeply offended by a team name? That's quite the privilege you have.
my father's on the census as a Native American, a function of he and his brothers wanting to keep their kids eligible for a free ride to Dartmouth (only one qualified). his mother was born in a grape field owned by Taylor Wines in upstate NY to an itinerate picker and had no birth certificate and my grandparents met thru a penpal service for "halfbreeds". i'm on the census as a Caucasian but i have no problem being offended by the n-word for my peeps

The Saints need to change their logo. 

The Fleur de lis was a symbol used to brand runaway slaves and as a punishment. How on earth do black players willingly put that on?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread