What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (2 Viewers)

Deadspin's take on why the Bills suck.

Some of the better lines -

Think about how desperate you have to be at QB to start Tuel, sign Matt Leinart, and trade (TRADE!) for Thad Lewis. Why trade for Thad Lewis when you can make your own out of felt and Elmer's Glue? We haven't even made it to the regular season yet and already the Bills have already seen one of their QBs have surgery and another end his career. Because that's what happens if you're a QB and you go to Buffalo: your life ends.
Here is the worst part: the Gailey years were orchestrated by GM Buddy Nix, who is 4,000,000,000 years old. The Bills went 16-32 the past three seasons. Any sane NFL franchise would have ####canned Nix ages ago (actually, they never would have hired him to begin with). But you know what the Bills did? They let Nix retire, and turned everything over to his ####### hand-picked successor.

Do you know how f##king insane that is? The Bills are a DISASTER. They're barely an NFL franchise anymore. And yet, here's Nix in his cowboy hat clicking his boots together and being like, My work here is done. You didn't do anything, Amarillo Slim! You hired Chan Gailey! You gave HORRIBLE contracts to Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mario Williams! YOU ARE THE ####### WORST. How can the franchise tolerate this? I'll tell you how: Because owner Ralph Wilson is a dying, confused old man who hires underlings strictly on the basis of whether or not they'll bring flowers to his bedside. It's lunacy.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

One of the fan comments -

You know the Buffalo Bills suck when the owner chooses to live in Detroit instead of Buffalo.

Matt Leinart is so bad that the coaching staff isn't even going to be able to use this game to evaluate any other offensive players. Woof.

That was a fun game. This should be a fun year. :popcorn:

It's starting to look like this year will be more like Survivor than a football season. What's the O/U on IR players?

:lmao:

The highest rated NFC preseason QB was Tarvaris Jackson. The highest rated AFC preseason QB was Ryan Fitzpatrick.

You can't even make this stuff up.

Brad Smith a surprise IR designation. My bet is they end up coming to an injury settlement with him and release him. That contract is as ridiculous as the day they gave it to him. They will miss him on special teams, but $4M just for special teams is silly.

Brad Smith a surprise IR designation. My bet is they end up coming to an injury settlement with him and release him. That contract is as ridiculous as the day they gave it to him. They will miss him on special teams, but $4M just for special teams is silly.
Too bad they hadn't done something about it a year or two sooner.

Drayton Florence is/will be available, too.
he's probably done at this point. didn't have much left when he left Buffalo.
He looked great this preseason. I'm surprised he was cut. I think either one would be an upgrade at this point. Heck, Terrence McGee is still available too. The question is whether any of those guys would even want to play for peanuts on a team that won't contend for a title.Dowling might be worth sniffing around too. He has had major injury issues, but the talent seems decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tashard Choice? anything to see here?

Fred looked like he was feeling his age vs Washington. If Spiller were to lose time can Choice step in to some extent?

EJ Manuel is back at practice today. Reports are that the knee surgery was a scope to remove some floating meniscus. Barring a setback, it looks like he'll be starting Week 1.

Jairus Byrd - DB - Bills

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Bills FS Jairus Byrd has been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis.
It's an injury Byrd can play through, assuming the foot doesn't tear. Byrd recently met with Dr. Robert Anderson. The fact that he does not need surgery after that trip is positive news, but he's going to have to play through pain in his contract year. Byrd is making a fully guaranteed $6.916 million in 2013.
I think this is worse than it sounds.

Jairus Byrd - DB - Bills

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Bills FS Jairus Byrd has been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis.

It's an injury Byrd can play through, assuming the foot doesn't tear. Byrd recently met with Dr. Robert Anderson. The fact that he does not need surgery after that trip is positive news, but he's going to have to play through pain in his contract year. Byrd is making a fully guaranteed $6.916 million in 2013.
I think this is worse than it sounds.
It's definitely bad. He will have constant pain and of it snaps, he'll be dome for the year. Looks like Buffalo may have gotten lucky with slapping him with the franchise tag instead of giving him a big deal. Of course, he could embelish it and sit most the year too. Although that would seem to be terrible for his next contract.

Tashard Choice? anything to see here?

Fred looked like he was feeling his age vs Washington. If Spiller were to lose time can Choice step in to some extent?
he's got no upside. just a guy most likely but a solid #3 option.
Yeah. Worth very little in FF terms unless both backs ahead of him get nicked up, IMO. Not worth rostering at this point, but I don't play FF anymore so take my input FWIW.

It really won't affect his contract next year if he sits because of an injury. Looks better than being out of shape. He'll take the 6.9M and still end up with 7.5 a year or more in a long term deal in the offseason. Free Agency people overpay as is.

Hopefully Duke Williams and Aaron Williams can eventually become a solid duo.

I haven't heard much about Duke or Meeks. How have they been looking so far?

By the way, love the Captains. Freddy Jackson, Kyle Williams and Eric Wood. I think they will make great leaders for this team.

Duke actually had one preseason game that stood out, 7 or 8 tackles and a pass breakup and sack. Other than that I haven't heard much. (Could be a good thing)

Looks like Jim Leonard may be back, working out for team and baring physical he'll sign. Pettine worked with him Balt, NYJ. Must mean Byrd won't be suiting up Week 1.

This is getting ridiculous. Buffalo was forced to sign Dan Carpenter today after Dustin Hopkins injured his groin during today's practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan Carpenter's 4th team in two weeks. Awesome. Hopefully they cut him once Hopkins is healthy.

Just frustrating not going after corner depth knowing how weak it is, Also no OL depth with Hariston shut down. LG and RT will be a problem. Hopefully our gimmick, mixed with some Spiller and hopefully some read-option will make for some exciting games. Yet another year of if they don't get to the QB then they will be torched through the air. Kyle Williams very over-rated as a run defender too and hopefully Dareus decides to produce.

/Vent over, Thanks guys.

Bills WR Steve Johnson isn't sure where Patrick Chung playsBy Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

September 2, 2013 8:31 pm ETSteve Johnson can be hilarious, especially when the Bills receiver is talking trash against what appears to be a far-superior opponent. For an example, here's what he said Monday about the secondary of the Patriots, who will face Buffalo on Sunday.

"I don't think they got nobody that can stop me," Johnson said, via the Buffalo News. "For real."

Then, he mentioned Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib and how he's noticed on film that he's long, athletic and tries to play with vision. Yeah, who else impresses you?

"I got a lot of respect for Chung," Johnson said. "I know him personally."

Perhaps the two should catch up soon, because Patrick Chung doesn't play for the Patriots anymore. No, now the safety is with the Eagles, while Devin McCourty mans the free safety position in New England.

OK, so Johnson made a mistake. A funny mistake, but still. And thankfully, Johnson doesn't mind being the butt of a joke.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23448743/bills-wr-steve-johnson-isnt-sure-where-patrick-chung-plays

Bills>sign Tebow
Stop it.And Winfield decided to hang it up.
Lawyer Milloy part II. Sign the guy right before the season opener. He'll give away the Patriots game plan, the Bills will win, and God will love us again.
Didn't the Patriots still end up drubbing the Bills in the last game of that season and end up winning the Super Bowl? No thanks.

Oh, and for about the 100th year in a row, the Pats have signed a Bills castoff to do exactly what you described above. They signed Chris White after Detroit cut him. Nice end around the rule that would have forced them to keep White for 3 games if the Bills had been his last team.

flysack said:
I noticed the Steelers cut Brian Moorman. I guess Marone and staff knew something we all didn't. :shrug:
Marone didn't cut Moorman. He was gone before Marone took over.

Moorman was one of our better players for years. And probably one of the fastest too.

EJ and Tuel splitting reps, hoping Manuel is good to go. Extra padding on that knee. Don't think Byrd has a chance to sniff the field, 6 SS/FS on the roster.

Screw Byrd and this seeking a trade stuff. And screw Parker even more. Whaley should tell them that they won't even consider a trade during the season and that if he continues to seek one on his own that they'll file a collective bargaining grievance against him. And that if his "injury" doesn't get better by Week 3 they're putting him on IR. And then I'd tag his ### again next year just to spite him and his scumbag agent.

Screw Byrd and this seeking a trade stuff. And screw Parker even more. Whaley should tell them that they won't even consider a trade during the season and that if he continues to seek one on his own that they'll file a collective bargaining grievance against him. And that if his "injury" doesn't get better by Week 3 they're putting him on IR. And then I'd tag his ### again next year just to spite him and his scumbag agent.
I agree completely. I never thought this seemed like something Byrd would do. He seemed like a hard working, old school player who wouldn't pull some of the bs these baby players do recently. This Parker guy seems to be a bit of a d bag though. Does he usually play hard ball like this?

Mark Gaughan usually isn't one to pull a story out of his ###, but this new Byrd trade revelation is odd. In mid-July, "sources" were telling local media that Byrd wanted to stay with the Bills so badly that any other agent could've negotiated a long-term deal and that Parker was playing unncessary hardball. Now he hates the team so much that he wants to be traded ASAP?

Public perception has turned very quickly locally against Byrd. Hell hath no fury like a Bills fan scorned, apparently.

And I keep seeing the Bills wouldn't get much in return for him if we did trade him. I saw someone say a 2nd at best but more likely two mid round picks. That doesn't make sense. Why take him in the 2nd, find that we lucked out and is one of the leagues best, and then trade him for less than where we even took him? Would it be purely a financial thing? I know safeties aren't worth that much in trade, but to get not much in return for one of the better players at his position is silly.

I agree completely. I never thought this seemed like something Byrd would do. He seemed like a hard working, old school player who wouldn't pull some of the bs these baby players do recently. This Parker guy seems to be a bit of a d bag though. Does he usually play hard ball like this?
Yes. Parker is the worst. 90% of all players that have held out have been Parker clients. All 3 of the last 3 NFL players that have held out into the season were Parker clients. Jason Peters is a Parker client. Parker was one of the biggest reasons rookie contracts became such a mess.

I can't say I disagree with any of this, unfortunately.

Could end up being a really ugly situation.

I can't say I disagree with any of this, unfortunately.

Could end up being a really ugly situation.
I agree in concept, but they did bring up a good point on the radio this morning that this could have significant locker room implications outside of just Byrd. Byrd is a big name in the team and a talented player....a guy who players listen to. If the other players on the team feel that the Bills organization is mistreating Byrd, it could be a mutinous atmosphere.

I don't think any of us can even speculate as to what the locker room perception of this situation is, but it is certainly something the Bills need to consider when acting. Some fans may want to see the Bills "fight back" and give him and Parker the ol #### you, but they need to be careful to gauge locker room morale when doing so, IMO.

While this is a good point, what can the Bills do at this point? They cant negotiate a contract now, so they are a little stuck arent they?

All the more reason to pay or trade him earlier.

While this is a good point, what can the Bills do at this point? They cant negotiate a contract now, so they are a little stuck arent they?

All the more reason to pay or trade him earlier.
I don't think that the Bills honestly believed that Parker would refuse to come down at all from his demands and not work out a deal. I think they were even more surprised when he didn't sign the franchise offer then and hold out until right before the season.

And I keep seeing the Bills wouldn't get much in return for him if we did trade him. I saw someone say a 2nd at best but more likely two mid round picks. That doesn't make sense. Why take him in the 2nd, find that we lucked out and is one of the leagues best, and then trade him for less than where we even took him? Would it be purely a financial thing? I know safeties aren't worth that much in trade, but to get not much in return for one of the better players at his position is silly.
Draft position is irrelevant when determining current value.

The reason they'd consider trading him is because it's better to get something for him now than get nothing for him later (assuming he isn't the missing piece to a championship this year, of course).

I've been hesitant to outright accuse Byrd, but I have to say that I've been thinking pretty much exactly what Jerry Sullivan says in this blog post. The whole plantar fasciitis thing seems awfully convenient for Byrd. They claim he had it last year but I don't remember Byrd taking any practices off and that would make no sense with plantar fasciitis. He also claims to be suffering from it in both feet and that too seems awfully weird.

There seems to be 2 possibilities to me at this point:

1) Byrd is not a team player and is a liar. He is making up his injury to screw over the Bills.

2) Byrd has some HUGE foot problems. Plantar fasciitis in both feet that didn't get better after an entire off season of rest is a gigantic red flag and something that could be a career ended very shortly. If his condition is truly as he describes, any team would be foolish to give him the type of contract he wants.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/09/plantar-fasciitis-the-injury-of-the-moment.html?ref=bmh

Users who are viewing this thread