What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (5 Viewers)

Pretty good article from Tim Rohan of SI. 

Last week he went to the Bills-Jets game at The Ralph (f@3k you whatever stupid corporate name they use now), wearing a Kaepernick 49ers jersey. He went with a buddy who's a long time Bills fan. His friend was convinced Rohan would end up in the fight with some drunks, but our guys were far cooler and nicer than either expected. They even visited the Bills Mafia tailgate and talked with a crazy old ex-Marine. They heard some FUs for sure, but nothing ever physical or threatening. Great article.

I Wore a Colin Kaepernick Jersey to an NFL Game.  
I have a hard time with him trying to act like wearing a Kaepernick jersey to a Bills/Jets game wouldn't be a political statement. What other reason would someone have to wear one to a Bills/Jets game other than to make an intentionally provocative political/social statement?

I also take issue with his statement that the African American woman would have had a much different experience if she had worn her Kaepernick jersey. What possible justification does he have to make that statement?

You can almost taste the disappointment he has that he wasn't confronted more strongly. 

Pretty dumb statement by him saying that both teams obviously could have benefited from having Kaepernick. I mean, Taylor threw one INT that was partly Clay's fault and otherwise had a fairly decent game.

I think the article is really interesting and nice to read that Bills fans didn't really embarrass themselves, but it's pretty frustrating to read a story with such an obvious agenda and slant.

I have a hard time with him trying to act like wearing a Kaepernick jersey to a Bills/Jets game wouldn't be a political statement. What other reason would someone have to wear one to a Bills/Jets game other than to make an intentionally provocative political/social statement?

I also take issue with his statement that the African American woman would have had a much different experience if she had worn her Kaepernick jersey. What possible justification does he have to make that statement?

You can almost taste the disappointment he has that he wasn't confronted more strongly. 

Pretty dumb statement by him saying that both teams obviously could have benefited from having Kaepernick. I mean, Taylor threw one INT that was partly Clay's fault and otherwise had a fairly decent game.

I think the article is really interesting and nice to read that Bills fans didn't really embarrass themselves, but it's pretty frustrating to read a story with such an obvious agenda and slant.
Kaep would make a great backup in Buffalo. The Jets could use anybody, really.

The difference between an African-American woman wearing the jersey and him is that white people feel more comfortable bashing other white people for anti-racism then they do black people. The common sentiment is race is a black issue, when it's really a white-black issue. Then, of course, the confederate flag waving guys might just scream #### at the black woman. 

Also the obvious agenda and slant was to see how people would react. I'm not seeing your outrage here. It was actually pretty ballsy of the dude to do it. 

Totally disagree with this too. My read was he was pleasantly surprised and relieved at the lack of violent reactions. Hell, he hung out with that ex-Marine and listened to everything he said. He busted the stereotype of crazy violent racist rural white people in WNY, which is probably what he was hoping for under his journalist objectivity. 

Last edited by a moderator:

:thumbup:   Kapernick who? 

Wasn't able to watch the game.  Honest Bills fan perspective, was it a bad throw or bad drop by Zay at the end of the game?  
Donald Jones provided a good analysis on the John Murphy Show yesterday.... essentially, Jones misread the direction he was supposed to break on the route based on the safety's coverage.  Tyrod threw it to where Jones was supposed to be which is why Jones had to make that awkward, shoulder twisting attempt on the ball.  Rookie mistake on misreading the coverage.

Wasn't able to watch the game.  Honest Bills fan perspective, was it a bad throw or bad drop by Zay at the end of the game?  
I've read/heard different views each way. From my eyes, it was a little bit the fault of each of them and just a tough play in general. 

A 4th down throw from that far away along the sideline with defenders on closing on both sides is a tough read and tough throw. 

They had a shot at it and barely missed. But really, that play wasn't why they lost. Just disappointing to be that close at the end and see it fall incomplete like it seems to always do for the Bills.

Why does Tyrod only wake up late in the fourth quarter, after his defense has worn themselves to the bone keeping him in the game. 

Why does Tyrod only wake up late in the fourth quarter, after his defense has worn themselves to the bone keeping him in the game. 
Because he only throws the ball when it is absolutely necessary, like on a last ditch effort drive.  Otherwise he may throw an interception....can't have that happening.

It's crazy. It's like when he's in a hurry up, he doesn't have time to overthink things and he just rips it. 

It's really frustrating that we're now on year 3 of the coaches essentially all going with the same offensive game plan: run run run, don't turn the ball over, safe short traditional throws.

I actually think both Tyrod and the offense would be much better with more hurry up and more of a modern/spread offense.

GroveDiesel said:
I actually think both Tyrod and the offense would be much better with more hurry up and more of a modern/spread offense.
I was about to suggest that maybe they could call plays at the line of scrimmage instead of huddling, but that would never work.

GroveDiesel said:
It's crazy. It's like when he's in a hurry up, he doesn't have time to overthink things and he just rips it. 

It's really frustrating that we're now on year 3 of the coaches essentially all going with the same offensive game plan: run run run, don't turn the ball over, safe short traditional throws.

Isn't that how the K-Gun came around? They noticed how a young Jim Kelly was way better during the 2 minute drill, so they created the no-huddle hurry up offense.

NoI was listening to the Bills Beat podcast from Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn on my way home today and it got me really aggravated.

I know Tyrod Taylor is not a great QB. And I know that John Miller and Jordan Mills aren't good O-linemen. And I know Zay Jones and Jordan Matthews aren't speedy outside receivers. But all of those guys are pretty good at certain things (other than Mills who is terrible). 

So why is Rick Dennison forcing a blocking scheme and an offensive system onto guys that it doesn't fit at all?

The power blocking scheme worked well last for the Bills and Miller looked really promising in it. He's a horrible fit in the zone blocking scheme for many reasons. And Mills is even worse this year than last year.

Taylor works better out of the shotgun than from under center. So of course he's under center a bunch even though the NFL has trended towards QBs in shotgun for awhile now. 

Taylor is good running the read option. The Bills have run it once so far through 2 games.

Jones and Matthews are better in the slot running shorter quicker routes, which is also where Taylor can make quick first read throws that he is good at. So of course Matthews and Jones have played almost exclusively outside.

Over this long drought, one of the most frustrating things has been to watch coach after coach come in and force their scheme on players it doesn't fit. Or refuse to adjust the scheme when teams figure it out. In my mind, that's the #1 sign of a bad coach. It's much easier for the coach, one person, to adjust scheme/game plan than it is to get 11+ guys that all fit the scheme perfectly. Especially since a coach can adjust scheme just using his brain, while players can't change their physical abilities.

Seeing Rick Dennison pull the same crap that has killed so many other Bills team is ####ing me off. Because not only is it going to destroy any chance the Bills had to look good this year, it is also a likely sign that he does not have the ability to develop a QB and put a young QB in a situation to succeed. So even if the Bills are terrible and draft a QB high in the 1st round, it seems like that QB will be put in a situation with the deck stacked against him. :hot: :wall:

NoI was listening to the Bills Beat podcast from Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn on my way home today and it got me really aggravated.

I know Tyrod Taylor is not a great QB. And I know that John Miller and Jordan Mills aren't good O-linemen. And I know Zay Jones and Jordan Matthews aren't speedy outside receivers. But all of those guys are pretty good at certain things (other than Mills who is terrible). 

So why is Rick Dennison forcing a blocking scheme and an offensive system onto guys that it doesn't fit at all?

The power blocking scheme worked well last for the Bills and Miller looked really promising in it. He's a horrible fit in the zone blocking scheme for many reasons. And Mills is even worse this year than last year.

Taylor works better out of the shotgun than from under center. So of course he's under center a bunch even though the NFL has trended towards QBs in shotgun for awhile now. 

Taylor is good running the read option. The Bills have run it once so far through 2 games.

Jones and Matthews are better in the slot running shorter quicker routes, which is also where Taylor can make quick first read throws that he is good at. So of course Matthews and Jones have played almost exclusively outside.

Over this long drought, one of the most frustrating things has been to watch coach after coach come in and force their scheme on players it doesn't fit. Or refuse to adjust the scheme when teams figure it out. In my mind, that's the #1 sign of a bad coach. It's much easier for the coach, one person, to adjust scheme/game plan than it is to get 11+ guys that all fit the scheme perfectly. Especially since a coach can adjust scheme just using his brain, while players can't change their physical abilities.

Seeing Rick Dennison pull the same crap that has killed so many other Bills team is ####ing me off. Because not only is it going to destroy any chance the Bills had to look good this year, it is also a likely sign that he does not have the ability to develop a QB and put a young QB in a situation to succeed. So even if the Bills are terrible and draft a QB high in the 1st round, it seems like that QB will be put in a situation with the deck stacked against him. :hot: :wall:
:goodposting:

What are McDermott's connections to Dennison? Is there a chance he see's these same things, and dumps him next season for a better OC that comes available? I'm normally not in favor of a ton of turnover at the top level coach positions, but the Bills are obviously rebuilding, and if they bring in a new QB that's usually a reset, too.

We've got a lot of our former WRs all growed up and looking good on other teams tonight.
I was coming to post about this.

See, One Bills Drive? This is what our team could have looked like with a good, talented young QB. Woods and Watkins hauling in 6 for 100 and touchdowns. 

It's so ### #### depressing.

The line came out at -2.5/-3 most Places last Sunday night.  I'm very surprised it didn't jump early to -3.5-5 range.  Now with Cordy and Dareus out (albeit they haven't done much) it still hasn't moved.  If this stays at 3 - I think we have a chance.  If this moves Sunday around noon with the "smart" money to -4.5 we're in trouble.

I was kinda hoping it would move early in the week and then settle back at 3 around kick off giving me hope.

I just don't see how we'll be able to move the ball at all.

Some athletes politely tell Trump that he's being divisive. Others express their solidarity with the players. Our boy McCoy?

"our president is an @$$hole." 

:lmao:  

I'm hearing rumors that some or all Bills players are going to do something during the anthem today.  If they kneel during the anthem I will be seriously disappointed.  

I'm hearing rumors that some or all Bills players are going to do something during the anthem today.  If they kneel during the anthem I will be seriously disappointed.  
I'll be proud of those Americans exercising their first amendment rights. It's what our soldiers die to protect and preserve. 

I think the kneeling thing is dumb and irritating as it politicizes my entertainment where I go to escape stuff like that.

BUT, our President has opened his mouth and changed the landscape. For all of the stupidity of the kneeling, it was a quiet and peaceful protest made by private individual and handled by their private employers. Trump's comments are a direct insult and attack from the very top of our government on private individual practicing their first amendment rights. It was vulgar and our government has no business encouraging a business to fire their employee for speech that the President opposes.

That changes the issue and I have no problem with players banding together and demonstrating their rejection of our government's threats against their speech rights.

Healthy respectful disagreement makes this country great. We were founded on it.

Oppression from power figures is another story. Telling it to effe off is also what this country was founded on. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still shocked they beat the Broncos and are now 2-1. If they beat Atlanta next week I'm going to want to Billlieve even though I know it'll end in heartbreak.

I'm still shocked they beat the Broncos and are now 2-1. If they beat Atlanta next week I'm going to want to Billlieve even though I know it'll end in heartbreak.
And just think how close they were to beating the Panthers despite that horsecrap PI call on Carolina's last scoring drive.

flysack said:
Healthy respectful disagreement makes this country great. We were founded on it.

Oppression from power figures is another story. Telling it to effe off is also what this country was founded on. 
I wish I could give this post more than one like.  Both paragraphs are correct, but especially the second.

:goodposting:

What are McDermott's connections to Dennison? Is there a chance he see's these same things, and dumps him next season for a better OC that comes available? I'm normally not in favor of a ton of turnover at the top level coach positions, but the Bills are obviously rebuilding, and if they bring in a new QB that's usually a reset, too.
shouldn't be one that i can see.  McDermott was with Eagles most of career, Dennison with Broncos most of career.

And just think how close they were to beating the Panthers despite that horsecrap PI call on Carolina's last scoring drive.
Of course, I also fully expect the Bills to get absolutely smoked by the Falcons. No way they can contain both Julio and Freeman. Devonta Freeman is the type of RB that should destroy Buffalo's LBers in coverage. Could easily see Atlanta RBs with 120+ total receiving yards.

Dennison deserves some credit for making some adjustments. The Bills started throwing on 1st and 2nd down, he had Taylor in shotgun more and he was rolling Taylor out of the pocket. 

I also thought Dawkins had a pretty solid game in his first start. If Glenn could ever get healthy and get right, and Dawkins could get some practice time at RT, the O-line would be a lot more solid. Miller still struggling in this scheme though. That's not going to change I don't think. I wish Groy would be given a shot there.

Ten random thoughts

Yesterday was fun.  It hit 90 and it was the hottest game ever in Buffalo.  It was a lot of fun being at the stadium yesterday.

Bend but don’t break D… They battle, making it tough.  They get slanted to death because their LB’s but that secondary plays tough.

Tyrod… all the haters quiet today.  When he had more than 1.5 seconds to throw he had some dimes.  That pass to O’Leary was awesome.  Got him on the move a bit.

Shady getting frustrated behind this o-line.  He probably needs to stretch more.

Zay Jones has those rookie drops but he’s got great hands it’ll come.  Valuable playing time.

Rachel Bush is very good looking.

Dan Carpenter still sucks.  Haush-Money might have been one of the most valuable players.  4/4 and 49,55,53 WOW. (luckily only one was at the hard end)

We are really running out of “lead the charge” players when Jay Riemersma gets the call.

$3 waters, they ran out.  50,000 waters sold more than double ever…. Maybe you should charge $3 all the time.

Von Miller is an idiot.  I hate his glasses.  Go Bills 2-1

Dennison deserves some credit for making some adjustments. The Bills started throwing on 1st and 2nd down, he had Taylor in shotgun more and he was rolling Taylor out of the pocket. 

I also thought Dawkins had a pretty solid game in his first start. If Glenn could ever get healthy and get right, and Dawkins could get some practice time at RT, the O-line would be a lot more solid. Miller still struggling in this scheme though. That's not going to change I don't think. I wish Groy would be given a shot there.
Agree.

Dropped pass away from being 3-0. 

How bad a defensive coach is Rex Ryan. I know there was huge turnover on D....but the bookends before and after him are looking very impressive compared to what he did. 
No question. With how bad the Jets were for most of the time he was there, how bad the Bills record was when he was there, and how bad the defense was under him compared to the defense before him and after him, I would be surprised if he ever got another head coaching offer in the NFL. Especially with all of the nonsense that comes with him.

Not only 2-1 now, but the rest of the schedule doesn't look so scary anymore.  Atlanta, KC, New England and maybe Oakland are the only games that look like longshots.

Not only 2-1 now, but the rest of the schedule doesn't look so scary anymore.  Atlanta, KC, New England and maybe Oakland are the only games that look like longshots.
Now imagine they still had Watkins (although in Buffalo's defense, Gaines has been a top 5 CB according to PFF).

Unpopular opinion here but Jim Kelly needs to go away. Regardless of it you are for or against what he said, the owners had a statement, the coaches and players all backed each other and Jim needs to continue to be in the lime-light and go on any radio station he wants and run his mouth.  I get he's an "employee" and hired by Pegula as an ambassador I believe? It just seems like our legends don't go away.  When I watch other games I don't see Jerry Rice and Joe Montana hanging out on the 49ers sidelines or Dan Marino running around for Miami.

It's fine he does a lot for the community and can be apart of the organization.   Bruce was on the field and fired up the D-line in warm-ups great, no problems there.  When Rex was hired Jim had to be right by his side for the Big Tree spot.  Every quarterback we use he says he likes. I just don't see the value of him being around so much during the season.

I had a Bills related dream last night.  

Here in NJ, it's pretty rare that we get a televised game, but in my dream the Bills / Falcons game was on a Saturday during a non-standard time, and had also made it's way to our local tv.  By the time I realized, the game was already underway.  It was still early though, so I sat down on the couch, fired up the tv and went channel hunting for the game.  By the time I found the game and put it on, the Bills were already down 24-0.

Here in NJ, it's pretty rare that we get a televised game, but in my dream the Bills / Falcons game was on a Saturday during a non-standard time, and had also made it's way to our local tv.  By the time I realized, the game was already underway.  It was still early though, so I sat down on the couch, fired up the tv and went channel hunting for the game.  By the time I found the game and put it on, the Bills were already down 24-0.
Hex noted.

Sounds lime a premonition.

Users who are viewing this thread