What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (4 Viewers)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Bills owner Ralph Wilson Jr. passes away at age 95Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 25, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT

Bills owner Ralph Wilson Jr., who founded the franchise in 1959, has passed away at age 95, club president Russ Brandon announced Tuesday, according to multiple media outlets.

“No one loved the game of football more than Ralph Wilson,” Brandon said Tuesday, according to the Buffalo News.

Wilson was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2009. In his tenure, the Bills made four Super Bowls and won a pair of AFL titles.
Respect to Mr. Wilson. :heart:

Ralph Wilson: dead at 95

RIP
:(

A tremendous man and owner. He did a lot of good in the NFL and the city of Buffalo. Fought in WW2, foubding member of the AFL, kept two other franchises afloat with loans, instremental in the merger, was way out ahead of other owners in actively funding research into head and spinal injuries, a true lover of the history of the game, and on and on.

He got a bad rap as cheap and senile as he aged but that reputation was largely unfair, especially after he got smeared in the media after the one CBA discussion. He was with it enough that he called and talked to Russ Brandon just 5 days ago about a safety draft prospect that he felt was a 4th or 5th rounder he was interested in.

He will be sorely missed.

The big questions about what will happen to the team are looming, but for now, a big thank you to Mr. Wilson for all he did for the NFL, the Bills, the city of Buffalo and the game of football in general.

RIP, Ralph.

I really hope this ends well for the team. I know there's a huge relocation fee if a new owner had plans on moving the franchise -- hopefully it doesn't come to that.

RIP, Ralph.

I really hope this ends well for the team. I know there's a huge relocation fee if a new owner had plans on moving the franchise -- hopefully it doesn't come to that.
I posted this in the other thread, but I think there's actually a plan in place to sell the team to a Buffalo ownership group, most likely the group Jim Kelly was putting together. There was a lot of talk about Kelly putting together a group, some cryptic Twitter comments and then shortly after that the announcement was made about the lease agreement being made with the city of Buffalo. Russ Brandon's statement today also leads me to believe that there is a plan in place to keep the team in Buffalo_Of course, with the news on Kelly's cancer today, who knows if that would affect anything he was a part of.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is somewhat surprising. The Bills are rumored to be trying to trade up to the #1 overall pick.

According to a report from Dan Pompei of Bleacher Report, the Houston Texans are “trying hard" to trade the No. 1 overall pick and the Buffalo Bills could be a potential trade partner.

Word from the NFL meetings is the Texans are trying hard to deal the first pick in the draft. They want to move down and acquire extra selections. Sources say they might have a trade partner in the Bills, who appear interested in moving up. It is unclear who the Bills would want in a trade-up scenario. Some believe they would move up for a quarterback. They also could make good use of an offensive tackle such as Greg Robinson. And it would be something to see them pair Mario Williams with either Jadeveon Clowney or Khalil Mack.
http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/28/houston-texans-trade-no-1-pick-2014-nfl-draft/

IvanKaramazov said:
Faust said:
I think I would rather have the team sold to an ownership group split three ways between Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, and the corpse of Al Davis than one involving Donald Trump.
I was just discussing this with some friends... there some positives in thinking about Trump as being part of an ownership group.

He has a pretty good track of passionately supporting his investments and projects - including his ownership of the NJ Generals in the USFL during the early '80s. And his goal there was to bring the Generals to the NFL, so obviously there's a strong interest to have a team. He's also on record as saying he wants to see the Bills stay in Buffalo. You can choose to take that with a grain of salt, but it's at least better than what a lot of other ownership groups might say.

I'm not saying I'm totally on board with Donald Trump as the face of a Bills ownership team, but I don't know if I'm against it either.

Trump is a self promoter and it's just a publicity stunt - like all his supposed presidential and gubernatorial runs. I hope that Buffalo instead gets real ownership that is worthy of their loyal fan base.

-QG

Trump is a self promoter and it's just a publicity stunt - like all his supposed presidential and gubernatorial runs. I hope that Buffalo instead gets real ownership that is worthy of their loyal fan base.

-QG
:shrug:

He was pretty serious about trying to get the Generals into the NFL 30 years ago.

-QG

He was pretty serious about trying to get the Generals into the NFL 30 years ago.
I remember him owning the Generals -my family has season tickets the last year - he ground the USFL into the dust on a fools errand. There's already 2 teams in the market that he was looking to break into. He's a self-promoting fool. Buffalo could do infinitely better. Have you watched the 30 for 30 on the USFL? Very much a worthy watch.

-QG

The likelihood is Trump would waste time and divert attention for folks who legitimately have an interest in keeping the NFL in Buffalo.

If somehow he were to becoming owner (and it's very dubious if he truly hast that kind of $) they would surely move.

But I don't think he'd be able to get past the NFL's vetting process TBH.

But publicity is free, and he's a man who knows this.

-QG

I wouldn't be upset with Trump as an owner, but there is zero chance the other owners approve him. Trump is a New York guy through and through. And yeah, he is a self-promoter, but that would extend to the Bills if he owned them.

-QG

I remember him owning the Generals -my family has season tickets the last year - he ground the USFL into the dust on a fools errand. There's already 2 teams in the market that he was looking to break into. He's a self-promoting fool. Buffalo could do infinitely better. Have you watched the 30 for 30 on the USFL? Very much a worthy watch.

-QG
I did watch the 30 for 30. Trump was indeed instrumental in causing the league to fall apart. But that was also because he was trying to get his team into the NFL.

The likelihood is Trump would waste time and divert attention for folks who legitimately have an interest in keeping the NFL in Buffalo.

If somehow he were to becoming owner (and it's very dubious if he truly hast that kind of $) they would surely move.

But I don't think he'd be able to get past the NFL's vetting process TBH.

But publicity is free, and he's a man who knows this.

-QG
Trump has a lot of money, but he would only be part of an ownership group. NFL teams no longer have to be majority owned by a single person. There aren't a lot of unknown skeletons in Trump's closet. And those skeletons are comparable to other owners around the league. Thus, I wouldn't foresee the league's vetting process being a huge stumbling block.

GroveDiesel,

Would you be opposed to changing the thread title to either 2014 or Ongoing Buffalo Bills Thread?

Cheers,

Faust

GroveDiesel,

Would you be opposed to changing the thread title to either 2014 or Ongoing Buffalo Bills Thread?

Cheers,

Faust
GroveDiesel,

Would you be opposed to changing the thread title to either 1991 or 1992 Buffalo Bills Thread?

Then I can remember the good times. (Hell, I'd settle for January 8, 2000 with 30 seconds left.)

Cheers,

Gawain

What is the mood of Bills fans with Spiller?

Great talent, can score from anywhere on the field... and apparently he can't carry a full load, especially in an offense with as many carries as Marrone's. And as great as Fred is, he's already gotten up there in age. Shouldn't the Bills think of moving to draft or bring in a new RB to help transition from Jackson?

The Bills have many other positional issues they need to address before they draft a RB. Spiller and Fred will be good enough for this season and if not there's always undrafted guys and FAs should they really need to get a guy.

Great talent, can score from anywhere on the field... and apparently he can't carry a full load, especially in an offense with as many carries as Marrone's. And as great as Fred is, he's already gotten up there in age. Shouldn't the Bills think of moving to draft or bring in a new RB to help transition from Jackson?
I expect / hope that they'll draft a big pounding RB in the mid to late rounds. An undrafted RB would work as well. I know they got Anthony Dixon but some young depth would be good.

I don't expect the Bills to make a big push to re-sign Spiller. Probably only a moderate, team-friendly contract. I suspect some other team will make him a better offer.

Why do you think he can't carry a full load?

I expect / hope that they'll draft a big pounding RB in the mid to late rounds. An undrafted RB would work as well. I know they got Anthony Dixon but some young depth would be good.

I don't expect the Bills to make a big push to re-sign Spiller. Probably only a moderate, team-friendly contract. I suspect some other team will make him a better offer.
I was about to say that there's no way the Bills let Spiller get away, but then I remembered that these are the Bills we're talking about.

Rotoworld:

LSU RB Jeremy Hill visited the Bills this week.
Hill is an upright runner who breaks tackles once picking up speed. Teams will have questions about his checkered past off the field, but it is difficult to know how much that will impact his evaluation. He should, at best, be a third-round pick.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Apr 5 - 9:45 AM
UNC TE Eric Ebron visited the Buffalo Bills this week.
Bills fans have been calling for a tight end for years, and Ebron could fill that hole at No. 9. The Tar Heel played in the slot around 80 percent of the time in 2013, but many believe he can play inline as a complete tight end since he is at least an adequate blocker. No. 9 might be a bit too early, however.

Source: Adrian Wilson on Twitter

Apr 5 - 9:11 AM

I guess this is a serious question? Maybe my impression is wrong, maybe it's not that he "can't" but that he hasn't yet, and by that I mean say 3/4's of the carries in any one game and do that on average over the course of a whole season, if that's a fair call. So better than a 3:2 run ratio over FJax, maybe more like 3:1. Then again, how many RBs do carry a full load these days? Not many. - Above I see the Tigers' Jeremy Hill paid a visit. He and Spiller together would be great I think. Like I said I think Marrone can do great things if he has the right personnel, I'm really curious about how Manuel does this year.

Jeremy Hill late would be awesome but it would have to be 5th or later. I don't think he will fall that far.

Ebron with the 9th overall is a bad pick. I have no issue with Ebron but there will just be more talent still on the board at other positions.

So PFT says the Bills leaked that they are the opponent playing in Detroit for Thanksgiving. Enjoy the spotlight :)

-QG

There's also a report out of Fox Sports Wisconsin that the Packers are playing a Monday night game at the Ralph this year.

I know he cant carry a full load!

Marone last year said he would give him the rock untill he pukes. Most thought this was a good sign, but in reallity Marone was trying to motivate him to not pull himself out. He has done this since he was drafted.

I'm still high on him. Last season, the entire offense was a tire fire. The the revolving door at QB and terrible offensive line play, there were really no players in position to succeed.

Defense's knew that they could stack the box to stop Spiller/FJax & there was nothing the Bills could do about it.

Even after all of that & playing through injuries (and missing games), Spiller still put up 900 yards and averaged 4.6 ypc. Spiller is never going to be that pound it down the throat of the defense, 300+ carry back. If the Bills make the investment in the o-line during the draft (Matthews or Lewan @ 9 & OG as early as 3rd) like they should & Manuel can stay healthy, Spiller should return to his 2012 form & improve on it. He was able to average 6.0 ypc while putting up over 1200 yards.

Ideally, Spiller should be in the 12-16 carry range with 4-6 receptions per game. Hackett struggled to get him the ball in space last season. No reason they shouldn't be feeding Spiller screen pass after screen pass. Gets him in space & is a nice simple, high % throw for Manuel.

I gotta think that Trump thing is just a political ploy. He's been talking often about running for governor lately, but I think deep-down he knows he wouldn't really stand a chance.

So #### like this plays well with the western NY people, but when push comes to shove, I think he's all talk on this one. Just my speculation though.

I gotta think that Trump thing is just a political ploy. He's been talking often about running for governor lately, but I think deep-down he knows he wouldn't really stand a chance.

So #### like this plays well with the western NY people, but when push comes to shove, I think he's all talk on this one. Just my speculation though.
I would agree, but he already said he is not running for Governor. He wanted a united political party, that is no one running against him, for him to run and that didn't happen. So he pulled out.

I like what he said in the one interview he had

"The Bills are the only true New York team, and I want to keep it that way."

I would agree, but he already said he is not running for Governor. He wanted a united political party, that is no one running against him, for him to run and that didn't happen. So he pulled out.

I like what he said in the one interview he had

"The Bills are the only true New York team, and I want to keep it that way."
He said that? Really?

OH FORGET IT. I'M TOTALLY BEHIND HIM NOW.

TRUMP!

TRUMP!

HE'S OUR MAN,

HE'LL BRING HOME THE LOMBARDI

OR NO ONE CAN!

The thought of a cam pan into the owners box and seeing the stupid hair piece with the graphic "New Bills owner Donald Trump" makes my skin crawl. If I ever see that during one of those Toronto games, I may quit the Bills.

:kicksrock:

Users who are viewing this thread