What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (7 Viewers)

Bills reportedly have a deal in place with Emmanuel Sanders. Not sure this one moves my meter very much.
I love it!   He can be a wonderful mentor to Davis on how 3rd round pick can become a baller.   

He is still getting separation, but his YAC has plummeted.  Will be very reliable for Allen.  

PS   Happy Birthday Mr. Sanders!

I think getting a draft pick for a 33 year-old blocking TE who was publicly mulling retirement deserves some sort of recognition.  Even if it's the very last pick of the draft two years from now, that's infinitely more trade value than I thought Lee Smith might have had.  (And I like Lee Smith.  I get that he's a good locker room guy and McDermott likes having him around.  But he was kind of low-key fortunate to make the team last year and was probably under 50% to be on our roster by week 1 this year).

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it!   He can be a wonderful mentor to Davis on how 3rd round pick can become a baller.   

He is still getting separation, but his YAC has plummeted.  Will be very reliable for Allen.  

PS   Happy Birthday Mr. Sanders!
Isn’t Sanders just an older slower Cole Beasley though when what they need is a speed guy to stretch the defense?

"Mitch Trubiski expected to sign with the Bills."

Interesting. I have a feeling it'll be more $ than I'd want to spend on a backup QB, but we'll see...

I've wanted to upgrade the backup QB position for two years now.  I'm not familiar with Trubisky at all -- I can't remember the last Bears game I watched -- but this roster is way too good to toss the keys to Matt Barkley for any more than occasional mop-up duty.  Love this signing, assuming the terms are okay.

One year $2.5M according to Rapoport.  Love that signing.

Of course it makes a lot of sense for Trubisky too.  He knows he's stuck with a backup role this year regardless, but at least he has the chance to put up good film in a loaded offense for next year's market if Allen were to miss any time.  

One year $2.5M according to Rapoport.  Love that signing.

Of course it makes a lot of sense for Trubisky too.  He knows he's stuck with a backup role this year regardless, but at least he has the chance to put up good film in a loaded offense for next year's market if Allen were to miss any time.  
That's a lot less than I was expecting. Like it.

I had to look it up, because I would have guessed Barkley was making that or a bit more last year, but it looks like he was on a ~$2 mil per year deal. I have no problem spending a tiny bit more on someone who has shown a decent bit more.

Not surprisingly, the new stadium name sucks.  It will always be The Ralph as far as I'm concerned, at least until they manage to land on a cool name.  (I propose #### Jon Bon Jovi Field, but I'm not sure that would attract sponsorship dollars). 

Not surprisingly, the new stadium name sucks.  It will always be The Ralph as far as I'm concerned, at least until they manage to land on a cool name.  (I propose #### Jon Bon Jovi Field, but I'm not sure that would attract sponsorship dollars). 
There was a rumor Dave Portnoy of Barstool Sports was going to put a bid in.  I think that would’ve been pretty cool.  

I didn't mind New Era, but yeah, I think we just need to get 'the Ralph' to stick.

Wow, officials finally admitting that the block in the back call on Cody Ford in their playoff loss to Houston was the wrong call.

That call very well may have cost the Bills the game. Even more outrageous, they actually fined Ford for it. Getting the call wrong on the field was pretty bad. Doubling down and fining him for what was clearly a bad call was nothing more than the NFL refusing to back down from a bad call that made them look bad. Now they tried to quietly sweep it under the rug and have the audacity to use the play as an example of a clean block in training videos instead of publicly issuing apologies to the Bills and a refund to Cody Ford.

Wow, officials finally admitting that the block in the back call on Cody Ford in their playoff loss to Houston was the wrong call.

That call very well may have cost the Bills the game. Even more outrageous, they actually fined Ford for it. Getting the call wrong on the field was pretty bad. Doubling down and fining him for what was clearly a bad call was nothing more than the NFL refusing to back down from a bad call that made them look bad. Now they tried to quietly sweep it under the rug and have the audacity to use the play as an example of a clean block in training videos instead of publicly issuing apologies to the Bills and a refund to Cody Ford.
 Can’t wait until they release the officiating video using the 2nd half “kickoff” as a demonstration as what is a live ball on a kickoff.

I dunno.  As bad as those two calls were, I was able to move on from the Houston game after about 24 hours.  Yeah, we should have won that game, and if Knox or Morse can block one guy on one play, we would have.  But that Bills team wasn't going any further in the playoffs that year anyway, and the team had a super-bright future in front of it, so it was hard to be mad.  

By way of contrast, I'm still salty over the Tennessee game.  That team had an excellent shot at the super bowl if we had gotten past the Titans, and it was a team whose window was obviously closing.

This Athletic article on JP Losman is really good. I always thought he got a raw deal in Buffalo and is the one out of all of the washouts that I really thought could have been something special. I’ll always harbor some resentment toward Troy Vincent for trying to be the tough guy and delivering a dirty late hit out of bounds in training camp to the rookie and forever altering Losman’s journey. In trying to “welcome the rook to the NFL” Vincent ruined Losman’s career and ruined Buffalo’s season and future. 

Glad to see Losman at peace with it and enjoying life as a coach today. Good for him.

I know this is smoke screen season, but I’ll go on record and say that I won’t be a fan of the Bills trading up to get Etienne in the 1st.  Especially if it means trading all the way up to about 20 to get ahead of the Jet’s and Steelers.  
But I will also say that I trust McBeanne and if that’s what they decide is best for the team then I won’t second guess it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is smoke screen season, but I’ll go on record and say that I won’t be a fan of the Bills trading up to get Etienne in the 1st.  Especially if it means trading all the way up to about 20 to get ahead of the Jet’s and Steelers.  
But I will also say that I trust McBeanne and if that’s what they decide is best for the team then I won’t second guess it. 
Same here.  If we draft Etienne at 30, fine, I'll be 100% on board with that.  (I would be on board with pretty much any non-QB at that selection).  I would also be okay with trading up to grab an edge rusher or corner who happens to slide a bit.  Not on board with trading up for a RB.

I get the argument that we don't have many open roster spots and only so many guys can make our team, so why not trade away a mid-round pick here and there if it means getting the guy you want.  But this staff has a pretty good track record of hitting on those mid-round picks -- no perfect of course, but pretty good.  It was one thing to trade away a bunch of players and picks to get to #7 to take your franchise QB.  I'm a little more skeptical of trading up for a MLB, a TE, a RB, and whoever else we've traded up to grab over the past few years.  Those picks haven't exactly been home runs. 

Same here.  If we draft Etienne at 30, fine, I'll be 100% on board with that.  (I would be on board with pretty much any non-QB at that selection).  I would also be okay with trading up to grab an edge rusher or corner who happens to slide a bit.  Not on board with trading up for a RB.
I definitely don't want them to trade up for an RB. I'd really prefer they don't take on at 30, either. If they want to improve their offense/running game, I'd rather they go OL. That would improve more areas and give more depth on OL. You can never have too much, IMO.

That said, I think I've resigned to hoping for defense in round one and two. I'm really hoping for Azeez Ojulari in the first and Aaron Robinson in the second. And I'm in the camp of liking the idea of them packaging a mid-to-late round pick this year and/or next to move up a few spots to get those guys. I the third I'm intrigued by Miami, TE Brevin Jordan. Either way, adding a little TE, OL, LB depth in the next few picks.

Honorable mention for pick one:

Washington - Edge - Joe Tryon
Tulsa - LB - Zaven Collins
USC - G - Alijah Vera-Tucker

Honorable mention for pick two:

Oklahoma - Edge - Ronnie Perkins
Wisconsin - C - Quinn Meinerz

The other thing I've been mulling. A week or two ago BB was on GMFB and said something to the effect that they aren't set on drafting a player at 30 that will make an immediate impact this year. I've been trying to think about what position(s) he may have been referring to. All I can really think of is LB (Edmunds replacement), WR (maybe), OL (maybe). Safety? Anyone have any other thoughts?

The other thing I've been mulling. A week or two ago BB was on GMFB and said something to the effect that they aren't set on drafting a player at 30 that will make an immediate impact this year. I've been trying to think about what position(s) he may have been referring to. All I can really think of is LB (Edmunds replacement), WR (maybe), OL (maybe). Safety? Anyone have any other thoughts?
There really aren't that many positions on our team where a rookie shows up at #30 and has an impact from day one.  CB and edge are really the only two, and I'm not even sure about the edge part since they rotate so many guys.  That's why I'm completely okay with using the pick on a RB if that happens to be the BPA.  This team can afford a pure luxury pick -- it's not the CJ Spiller or Willis McGahee situations all over again. 

I definitely don't want them to trade up for an RB. I'd really prefer they don't take on at 30, either. If they want to improve their offense/running game, I'd rather they go OL. That would improve more areas and give more depth on OL. You can never have too much, IMO.

That said, I think I've resigned to hoping for defense in round one and two. I'm really hoping for Azeez Ojulari in the first and Aaron Robinson in the second. And I'm in the camp of liking the idea of them packaging a mid-to-late round pick this year and/or next to move up a few spots to get those guys. I the third I'm intrigued by Miami, TE Brevin Jordan. Either way, adding a little TE, OL, LB depth in the next few picks.

TE Brevan Jordan from the U had a subpar pro day, and could slip to late 3rd. On the field, he showed that he knows the TE position and had multiple explosive plays over his college career. He was good as a freshman - it seems like early goodness is an indicator of pro success. 

There really aren't that many positions on our team where a rookie shows up at #30 and has an impact from day one.  CB and edge are really the only two, and I'm not even sure about the edge part since they rotate so many guys.  That's why I'm completely okay with using the pick on a RB if that happens to be the BPA.  This team can afford a pure luxury pick -- it's not the CJ Spiller or Willis McGahee situations all over again. 
I took what BB said as being closer to a RS year as opposed to being part of a rotation, which is what I think it would be at Edge/DE, and maybe even CB. I really feel like QB (obvi), MLB, C, TE, and maybe SS, FS are positions they could go at 30 where the layer won't get a good chunk of action (barring injuries, of course.)

I took what BB said as being closer to a RS year as opposed to being part of a rotation, which is what I think it would be at Edge/DE, and maybe even CB. I really feel like QB (obvi), MLB, C, TE, and maybe SS, FS are positions they could go at 30 where the layer won't get a good chunk of action (barring injuries, of course.)
That’s kind of why I thought it could be a DE that falls.  Rousseau comes to mind with that quote.  He took a year off and could use some time to adjusting and getting coached up.  I have no idea what he’s like as a person and if he fits in with what the Bills do.  But I think he could be a great replacement for Hughes the following year. 

There is no way that anyone in that organization said that they are trading up for a specific position, let alone a specific player. If they did, there’s no way it wasn’t smoke. This Bills group is very tight lipped and there is just no way any of them would be dumb enough to not only leak that they were trying to trade up into a specific range but targeting a specific player. That would be incredibly dumb and this group isn’t dumb. Yes, I could see the Bills trading up for a player (though I wish they would actually trade down instead), but don’t believe for a second this specific report.

And yeah, trading up for Etienne would not make me very happy. 

That’s kind of why I thought it could be a DE that falls.  Rousseau comes to mind with that quote.  He took a year off and could use some time to adjusting and getting coached up.  I have no idea what he’s like as a person and if he fits in with what the Bills do.  But I think he could be a great replacement for Hughes the following year. 
Yeah, that was the other thing I was thinking. That is, maybe it's a developmental type player he may have had in mind when making that comment.

There is no way that anyone in that organization said that they are trading up for a specific position, let alone a specific player. If they did, there’s no way it wasn’t smoke. This Bills group is very tight lipped and there is just no way any of them would be dumb enough to not only leak that they were trying to trade up into a specific range but targeting a specific player. That would be incredibly dumb and this group isn’t dumb. Yes, I could see the Bills trading up for a player (though I wish they would actually trade down instead), but don’t believe for a second this specific report.
Yes, and no... Regarding player specifics, didn't it break the year they took Allen that Allen was their target? I'm pretty sure I recall that coming out a couple weeks before the draft. That sort of leak is 100% on the team, so someone from the inside would have had to leak it.

Regarding a trade, if any team is considering a trade up, they surely would have been talking to other teams well in advance of right now. So, that could easily be leaked by the other team. I agree with you on the specific player piece. There are very few situations where that would come into play. 

Yes, and no... Regarding player specifics, didn't it break the year they took Allen that Allen was their target? I'm pretty sure I recall that coming out a couple weeks before the draft. That sort of leak is 100% on the team, so someone from the inside would have had to leak it.
My recollection is that the Bills were linked to every QB in that draft, especially Rosen.  And there was a time when Allen was going to go #1 overall to Cleveland.  I don't think it was ever settled that the Bills would draft Allen -- the fan reaction certainly didn't suggest as much.

I'm really hoping for Azeez Ojulari in the first and Aaron Robinson in the second. In the third I'm intrigued by Miami, TE Brevin Jordan.

The way to beat the Chiefs is to pressure Maholmes like the Bucs did.  
I like this pick.  Our coaching staff will coach him right up while he sees the field in passing situations. 

The way to beat the Chiefs is to pressure Maholmes like the Bucs did.  
I like this pick.  Our coaching staff will coach him right up while he sees the field in passing situations. 
What gives me pause is reading that his comparison may be more Shaq Lawson than Jerry Hughes. 

Not who I would have picked, but I like this selection quite a bit more than the Epenesa pick last year.  Nothing against Epenesa, but the gap between us and teams like KC mainly just comes down to playmakers.  Given where we are as a team, I strongly prefer high-ceiling/low-floor guys over low-ceiling/high-floor picks.

https://theathletic.com/2544638/2021/04/30/2021-nfl-draft-grades-round-1/ 

By Sheil Kapadia

Pick 30, Buffalo Bills: Gregory Rousseau, Edge, Miami
The Bills have been looking for a difference-maker on the defensive line, and they decided to bet on the upside of Rousseau.

At 6-foot-7, 266 pounds, Rousseau produced 15.5 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss as a 19 year old in 2019. He opted out of last season. Rousseau is not a pure edge rusher. Much of his production came on the interior as he proved to be too quick for guards and centers. There’s definitely a bit of a projection with Rousseau, but he’s someone who could develop into a versatile, disruptive player for Buffalo.

Grade: B

Reaction: Joe Buscaglia’s analysis

https://theathletic.com/2554939/2021/04/30/buffalo-bills-draft-gregory-rousseau-miami-de-will-likely-find-a-starting-role-in-2022/

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-grades-32-first-round-picks 
By PFF.com

R1 (30) BUFFALO BILLS: EDGE GREGORY ROUSSEAU, MIAMI (FL.)

Pick Grade: Below Average

Rousseau is a physical freak at 6-foot-7 with 34.75-inch arms and 11-inch hands. He opted out of the 2020 season and carries with him concerns about how he’ll fare as a true edge defender, though. Rousseau rushed the passer just 283 times in his college career, anywhere from 0-technique to stand-up outside linebacker. He earned a 71.3 pass-rushing grade from outside of the tackle in 2019, but when he rushed from the interior, it spiked to 85.1.

==========

FWIW, I was watching the PFF webcast last night, and Chris Collinsworth loved the pick.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-day-1-quick-snap-grades-for-all-32-teams

By Chad Reuter

Grade: A

Miami DE Gregory Rousseau (No. 30 overall)

Analysis: The Bills are in a favorable position, as their roster is so well-built that they could sit back and allow the draft to come to them. Rousseau played only one full season of college ball, but looks exactly like the powerful and long edge rushers teams want. He moved inside at times at Miami, presenting the power and agility to be a difference-maker at the next level. I suspect this will prove to be an excellent pick in time.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-justin-fields-rashawn-slater-among-day-1-s-top-value-picks

By Cynthia Frelund

The Bills brilliantly add versatility and youth at a true value with this pick, considering Rousseau was No. 16 on my board. Tracking his 2019 data (he opted out in 2020) shows he lined up all over the defensive front and was productive in each spot. From the first game to his last that season, Rousseau steadily improved his average time to pressure (which was adjusted for alignment). Rousseau checks both the "ideal" boxes of measurement for body mechanics at the position (low center of gravity, excellent body control). His résumé also includes playing safety, as well as offense, in high school, which suggests we haven't even seen what his development ceiling looks like. Defensive-minded Sean McDermott likely understands this puzzle piece extremely well, and the fit is a great predictor of January football in Buffalo. Rousseau adds 0.65 wins to the 2021 Bills.

Anyone have any wants for tonight?

I'm starting to lean away from UCF CB Aaron Robinson as my top 'hope' in round 2 to Quinn Meinerz (although his stock has seemed to be rising in the past week). I just think Meinerz is going to be a stud C/G. Either direction I'd be happy, but I kind of like adding one piece to the offense, then they can spend everything else on D, and maybe TE if they think they have a gem.

Anyone have any wants for tonight?

I'm starting to lean away from UCF CB Aaron Robinson as my top 'hope' in round 2 to Quinn Meinerz (although his stock has seemed to be rising in the past week). I just think Meinerz is going to be a stud C/G. Either direction I'd be happy, but I kind of like adding one piece to the offense, then they can spend everything else on D, and maybe TE if they think they have a gem.
CB, C/G, with DT being a sneaky need.

I like Melifonwu and Samuel quite a bit. But Morse has been pretty mediocre and both he and Feliciano may be gone after this year. A strong gap stuffing DT is a need as well. Star is back this year but this will likely be his last year with Buffalo and they really have no depth behind him.

There goes one of my guys Aaron Robinson.

Wish the Bills would have picked him instead of Basham. Kinda curious about that 2nd round pick. I like the player, but the position... Lots-o-questions.

I'm very interested to see what happens with Quinn Meinerz in these next picks. If he doesn't go soon I'm going to be yelling at my keyboard for the Bills to trade up and get him like I was for DK Metcalf.

Users who are viewing this thread