What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (7 Viewers)

TobiasFunke

Footballguy
Check out Leonard Cooper, who won the Teen tournament last night. Ways in which Leonard is awesome: 1. :fro: 2. Bet most of his money on a late daily double while in the lead, which I think might actually be the correct play. Get it right (which I think they do more often than not) and you end it right there. Better odds than worrying about final jeopardy or a late surge? Perhaps. 3. Final Jeopardy answer: "who cares." :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Leonard Cooper, who won the Teen tournament last night.

Ways in which Leonard is awesome:

1. :fro:

2. Bet most of his money on a late daily double while in the lead, which I think might actually be the correct play. Get it right (which I think they do more often than not) and you end it right there. Better odds than worrying about final jeopardy or a late surge? Perhaps.

3. Final Jeopardy answer: "who cares."

:wub:
It seems to me that contestants are systematically too risk-averse here. If you get a late Daily Double on a topic that you feel comfortable with, why not take your chances on that instead of gambling on the Final Jeopardy topic?

2. Bet most of his money on a late daily double while in the lead, which I think might actually be the correct play. Get it right (which I think they do more often than not) and you end it right there. Better odds than worrying about final jeopardy or a late surge? Perhaps.

It seems to me that contestants are systematically too risk-averse here. If you get a late Daily Double on a topic that you feel comfortable with, why not take your chances on that instead of gambling on the Final Jeopardy topic?
Agree 100%.

Check out Leonard Cooper, who won the Teen tournament last night.Ways in which Leonard is awesome:1. :fro: 2. Bet most of his money on a late daily double while in the lead, which I think might actually be the correct play. Get it right (which I think they do more often than not) and you end it right there. Better odds than worrying about final jeopardy or a late surge? Perhaps.3. Final Jeopardy answer: "who cares." :wub:
It was a great move, no doubt, but he kind of had to right then if he wanted to win. It was a two day total and he went into yesterday down 14,000.

Agree 100%.
Totally. Much more risk is needed. And the question he got was pretty easy, an $800 question, if he missed that he should go home broke anyway.But, in general, many Jeopardy players are bad at math, so screwing up DDs is usually par for the course.

Any answer other than Tanner is unacceptable. On this board, if nowhere else, he is the greatest Jeopardy champion ever.

Check out Leonard Cooper, who won the Teen tournament last night.Ways in which Leonard is awesome:1. :fro: 2. Bet most of his money on a late daily double while in the lead, which I think might actually be the correct play. Get it right (which I think they do more often than not) and you end it right there. Better odds than worrying about final jeopardy or a late surge? Perhaps.3. Final Jeopardy answer: "who cares." :wub:
It was a great move, no doubt, but he kind of had to right then if he wanted to win. It was a two day total and he went into yesterday down 14,000.
:goodposting: Would've looked real dumb if the first kid gets it right and he doesn't come in first.

Agree that if you are comfortable with the topic, it is a good idea. But risking 18K out of 18.2 K pretty much ends the game there one way or another. I just feel wagering 8-10K puts you either right back in with the rest or gives you a dominant lead. So you can still win even without getting it right but getting it right would still give you a dominant lead.Also just looking at this, he had some balls. There was no guarantee he won. If the Indian guy got it right with his wager, he would have won.

Awesomeness

thanks for the post but a pet peeve of mine is guys who post to articles featuring youtube videos instead of just going to the youtube video and posting it yourself

Roger Craig was a pretty great champion. Also had the best jeopardy moment of all time IMO.

that was great. But wasnt he in a better scenario if he bet like 10K in the second daily double? leaves him some leeway if he misses and still gridlike on win if he wins

did not know the prizes for 2nd and 3rd were so little. From wiki

Cash prizesThe top scorer on each show keeps his or her winnings and returns as the champion in the next match, and non-winners receive consolation prizes. The current prizes are $2,000 for the second-place contestant and $1,000 for the third-place contestant. Since the show does not provide airfare or lodging for most contestants (with the exception of returning champions who have to make multiple flights to the Los Angeles area),[26] these cash consolation prizes alleviate the financial burden of appearing on the show. Prior to May 16, 2002, the second-place contestant typically received a vacation package or merchandise and the third-place contestant received lesser-value merchandise. On the Fleming versions, all contestants kept their winnings, and contestants who finished with scores below $0 received consolation prizes.When the Trebek version began, the show's producers decided to award full winnings only to the champion as a means of making the game more competitive, so that the final outcome is not always evident until the end of the game. On the Fleming versions, some contestants would occasionally decide that they only wanted to win a certain amount of money and then stop ringing-in when they reached that amount, instead of attempting to become a returning champion, while others would refuse to write down a question for Final Jeopardy! if another contestant had a significant lead.[27]

Officer Pete Malloy
:thumbup:In all seriousness it is Jennings. The teen tournament is a joke.
Jennings had a great run, no doubt, but Brad Rutter crushed him in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions.What's more amazing is 2 of 3 missed the Final Jeopardy question.
This is like saying Joe Frazier was the greatest champion because he beat Ali.
Really? I thought Rutter never lost to anyone, ever. You think he would have been able to come close to 70-whatever in a row if he had been allowed?

What if the 2nd place kid answered final jeopardy correctly? Leonard would have lost, right? Would've made the last answer he wrote down kinda stupid.

What if the 2nd place kid answered final jeopardy correctly? Leonard would have lost, right? Would've made the last answer he wrote down kinda stupid.
Yeah I'm not understanding something here. I can't watch the video so I'm just going off of screenshots, but from what I can tell Nilai had 33,400 going into the last question (max bid of 14,400) whereas Leonard had 40,000 with a max bid of 37,000. Either I don't understand how this works or Leonard is an idiot who got lucky. My guess would be the former, can anyone explain this to me?

Yeah I'm not understanding something here. I can't watch the video so I'm just going off of screenshots, but from what I can tell Nilai had 33,400 going into the last question (max bid of 14,400) whereas Leonard had 40,000 with a max bid of 37,000. Either I don't understand how this works or Leonard is an idiot who got lucky. My guess would be the former, can anyone explain this to me?
yeah he got lucky. Not sure why he was so cocky to write that he won in the final jeopardy thing, if the first kid got it right he would have won

And like others have said since this was a two day tally and he was way behind the easy move was to bet it all on the daily double since he had lots of ground to catch up and if the other guys just get their Final jeopardy correct they beat him unless he could get way ahead of them before that point which is what happened.

Babe Ruth would've looked dumb if he didn't homer after calling his shot. When you have swag like Leonard does, you're not concerned about such details.

good move. you have to figure that that daily double will be much easier than the final jeopardy question. So if you have that chance to lock in the game at that point, you do it!!

I don't understand either. Is it possible to know how much other contestants have wagered before you answer the final question? Maybe they discussed it during the commercial break so Leonard already knew he won.

I don't understand either. Is it possible to know how much other contestants have wagered before you answer the final question? Maybe they discussed it during the commercial break so Leonard already knew he won.
If Leonard was aware of Nilai's bid that would make it even worse as Nilai did bid enough to get past 40K, which is where Leonard was at heading into the question. Maybe Leonard did some bad math in his head real quick or something. Glad it worked out for him though.

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4077Nilai came into the game with $19,000 from day 1Leonard had $3,000Going into FJ, Nilai's score was 14,400, Leonard was at 37,000.If Nilai had bet the 7000 he did and answered Eisenhower, he would have had 21,400, with a total of $40,400. Leonard bet $0, finished with $37,000, and adding the Day 1 score would have finished in second place with $40,000 even, losing by $400.Lucky and dumb.

If Leonard was aware of Nilai's bid that would make it even worse as Nilai did bid enough to get past 40K, which is where Leonard was at heading into the question. Maybe Leonard did some bad math in his head real quick or something. Glad it worked out for him though.
Good point. I hadn't done the math, and thought maybe Nilai would not have won even if he got it right because he did not bet enough. Definitely looks like just got lucky.

Watched this last night. "Who cares, I just won $75,000" might be the best Jeopardy answer ever.

Is Arizona Ron writing for Grantland now?

After Day 1 of the finals of the Jeopardy! Teen Tournament, he was in third place with only three racks. But that was OK, because he was wearing the olive long-sleeve, so anything was possible.
Leonard, on the other hand, not only came from behind to win the Jeopardy! Teen Tournament, but also dropped the mic in the form of "Alex, I don't know the answer, and frankly, I don't care, because it's time for you to GIVE ME MY FORTY RACKS."

What a show off. Act like ya been there. I hope they come up with a rule with a penalty with this type of unsportsmanship!

Users who are viewing this thread