What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (1 Viewer)

Some of those "smart" contestants are morons when it comes to betting. They had a lady on this season who was in 1st with $17,600 going into the final, 2nd had exactly half of that $8,800 and Third had a negative score and was out of the final. All 1st place had to bet was $0 and she was guaranteed $17,600, whether 2nd place got the final right or not. 2nd place did and bet it all, tying 1st with $17,600. 1st place bets $3,000 (!?) going for the win, missed the question and got $3,000 for second. Was it really worth risking $14,600 for a chance at $3,000 more?! Ugh..no..Duh. :rolleyes:

Some of those "smart" contestants are morons when it comes to betting.
They're consistently terrible at math. It's quite entertaining. Especially since they're given a pencil & paper during the break to calculate their wagers.I saw one a year or so ago where a woman had a "lock game" near the end of double jeopardy. She had 20K, the second place person had like 9K, and the third place guy was barely hanging on. She got the last question... the last Daily Double. She could wager whatever she wanted... including $0 to keep her win a guarantee. Nope, she bet $5000 and blew it, dropping her to $15K and putting the game within reach for second place. Who then beat her in FJ and took her down. :crazy:

Some of those "smart" contestants are morons when it comes to betting. They had a lady on this season who was in 1st with $17,600 going into the final, 2nd had exactly half of that $8,800 and Third had a negative score and was out of the final. All 1st place had to bet was $0 and she was guaranteed $17,600, whether 2nd place got the final right or not. 2nd place did and bet it all, tying 1st with $17,600. 1st place bets $3,000 (!?) going for the win, missed the question and got $3,000 for second. Was it really worth risking $14,600 for a chance at $3,000 more?! Ugh..no..Duh. :rolleyes:
How about the three donkeys early in the teen tourney that all tied with zero dollars at the end of final Jeopardy. :loco:

Check out Leonard Cooper, who won the Teen tournament last night.

Ways in which Leonard is awesome:

1. :fro:

2. Bet most of his money on a late daily double while in the lead, which I think might actually be the correct play. Get it right (which I think they do more often than not) and you end it right there. Better odds than worrying about final jeopardy or a late surge? Perhaps.

3. Final Jeopardy answer: "who cares."

:wub:
What if the 2nd place kid answered final jeopardy correctly? Leonard would have lost, right? Would've made the last answer he wrote down kinda stupid.
Yeah I'm not understanding something here. I can't watch the video so I'm just going off of screenshots, but from what I can tell Nilai had 33,400 going into the last question (max bid of 14,400) whereas Leonard had 40,000 with a max bid of 37,000. Either I don't understand how this works or Leonard is an idiot who got lucky. My guess would be the former, can anyone explain this to me?
I don't understand either. Is it possible to know how much other contestants have wagered before you answer the final question? Maybe they discussed it during the commercial break so Leonard already knew he won.
If Leonard was aware of Nilai's bid that would make it even worse as Nilai did bid enough to get past 40K, which is where Leonard was at heading into the question. Maybe Leonard did some bad math in his head real quick or something. Glad it worked out for him though.
Good point. I hadn't done the math, and thought maybe Nilai would not have won even if he got it right because he did not bet enough. Definitely looks like just got lucky.
Jeopardy! tournament finals are always two day events where the contestants scores from each day are added, and the highest two day score wins. I don't know what happened here, but it's likely that Leonard won Day 1 handidly and knew that he would still have the highest cumulative two-day score even if he shanked Day 2's Final Jeopardy and the other contestant answered the question correctly (thus the other contestsnt winning Day 2).

Check out Leonard Cooper, who won the Teen tournament last night.

Ways in which Leonard is awesome:

1. :fro:

2. Bet most of his money on a late daily double while in the lead, which I think might actually be the correct play. Get it right (which I think they do more often than not) and you end it right there. Better odds than worrying about final jeopardy or a late surge? Perhaps.

3. Final Jeopardy answer: "who cares."

:wub:
What if the 2nd place kid answered final jeopardy correctly? Leonard would have lost, right? Would've made the last answer he wrote down kinda stupid.
Yeah I'm not understanding something here. I can't watch the video so I'm just going off of screenshots, but from what I can tell Nilai had 33,400 going into the last question (max bid of 14,400) whereas Leonard had 40,000 with a max bid of 37,000. Either I don't understand how this works or Leonard is an idiot who got lucky. My guess would be the former, can anyone explain this to me?
I don't understand either. Is it possible to know how much other contestants have wagered before you answer the final question? Maybe they discussed it during the commercial break so Leonard already knew he won.
If Leonard was aware of Nilai's bid that would make it even worse as Nilai did bid enough to get past 40K, which is where Leonard was at heading into the question. Maybe Leonard did some bad math in his head real quick or something. Glad it worked out for him though.
Good point. I hadn't done the math, and thought maybe Nilai would not have won even if he got it right because he did not bet enough. Definitely looks like just got lucky.
Jeopardy! tournament finals are always two day events where the contestants scores from each day are added, and the highest two day score wins. I don't know what happened here, but it's likely that Leonard won Day 1 handidly and knew that he would still have the highest cumulative two-day score even if he shanked Day 2's Final Jeopardy and the other contestant answered the question correctly (thus the other contestsnt winning Day 2).
He was losing bad after day one.

No, Leonard shanked day 1 and was down heavily. The math is in post #43, Leonard got lucky that Nilai missed it. Had Nilai guessed right, it would have been hilarious TV.

Do you guys think Leonard understood the situation and was just assuming Nilai would not be able to get the question right when he wrote his bid/answer? I sure don't, has to have been a mental math mistake on his part. I'm kinda hoping somebody interviews him and asks him about it. Is Yandek still around? We need him on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, Leonard shanked day 1 and was down heavily. The math is in post #43, Leonard got lucky that Nilai missed it. Had Nilai guessed right, it would have been hilarious TV.
Well, then that's either giant balls in figuring the other contestant doesn't know or an oversight that he was fortunate didn't come back to bite him.

Takes away from the Grantland piece that he didn't realize that Leonard actually screwed up majorly in FJ and got very lucky (if he bet the cover amount as he should have, he would have lost to Barrett). Plus he walked away with 75 racks, not 40.

Takes away from the Grantland piece that he didn't realize that Leonard actually screwed up majorly in FJ and got very lucky (if he bet the cover amount as he should have, he would have lost to Barrett). Plus he walked away with 75 racks, not 40.
Well I think we should all be thankful Barrett didn't win. Fist pump in third place after getting the FJ right.

One man's errant math is another's phenomenal swag. Give in to the magic of Leonard.

Arthur is just killing it right now. I really like his style.
I can't stand him. Every time someone else beats him to the buzzer he looks over at them like he can't believe it. Smug SOB. Can't wait for someone to beat him.

I can't stand him. Every time someone else beats him to the buzzer he looks over at them like he can't believe it. Smug SOB. Can't wait for someone to beat him.
Same here. The guy is a great player but he is also the most annoying. I write that as someone who has been watching since the mid 1980s.

I've heard people actually complaining about his strategy.It makes much more sense to go for the bigger questions sooner for multiple reasons.
His strategy is nothing new. It has been used since the 80's. It is called Forrest Bounce named after Chuck Forrest. Its main goal is two fold:

1) to hunt out the daily doubles which statistically more often fall in the last two rows of the board

2) to continually give himself the slightest of time advantages by switching categories which is believed to throw off contestents who are used to a top to bottom approach eliminating the category from their thought process.

He gives an long and detailed interview here that is fun if you enjoy learning about the behind the scenes part of Jeopardy.

http://www.avclub.com/article/controversial-jeopardy-champ-arthur-chu-tells-his--201355

He had the chance to get in the conversation for greatest Jeopardy champion today if he had bet a little bigger on the DDs and then gone for it on the FJ. Could have set the single-game record. Even as it was, he could have safely gone over $75k and passed Ken Jennings for second. When you've already won 8 games, why not go for the history books when you have the chance (and it won't even cost you a lock game)? Disappointed. He was punished with an extremely easy FJ.

He's good, he actually seems to want to be liked and I'm pulling for him. Respects the game and doesn't stray from his plan. He wants Jennings!

I wonder if he's getting an apartment in LA during this break.

He's won just under $300k so far, and I hate him more every time I watch. I wish his opponents would start hunting for the daily doubles, they all seem content to go through the categories from the top down. He always gets his big leads on the DDs. Take those away from him and it would be interesting to see how it shakes out.

He's won just under $300k so far, and I hate him more every time I watch. I wish his opponents would start hunting for the daily doubles, they all seem content to go through the categories from the top down. He always gets his big leads on the DDs. Take those away from him and it would be interesting to see how it shakes out.
I don't see him lasting much longer if he doesn't keep getting those DD's with how he has looked the last few games.

His streak ends soon IMO.

He still looks over at the other contestants when one of them beats him to the buzzer....Also, when he gets an answer wrong and Alex tells him, he says 'oh' quite a bit. I really wish he would knock it off.

Down goes Frazier!!!

Bout damn time. Funny, he only found one of the 3 DDs and he risked everything and got it wrong, knocking him down to zero and he never recovered. He also missed 5 or 6 answers during the game.

Hell of a run but I'm glad he's history.

The current champion Julia Collins has set her own records now. The previous record for most consecutive wins by a woman was 8.

Julia hit 10 straight wins after Fridays win and has topped $220k in winnings. She is off now for a couple of weeks which the Decades tournament starts back up now.

The current champion Julia Collins has set her own records now. The previous record for most consecutive wins by a woman was 8.

Julia hit 10 straight wins after Fridays win and has topped $220k in winnings. She is off now for a couple of weeks which the Decades tournament starts back up now.
She's crushing her competition and she isn't annoying like that Arthur guy was. I'm rooting for her to keep her winning streak going.

wait a sec... is Tanner in on this?

She's crushing her competition and she isn't annoying like that Arthur guy was. I'm rooting for her to keep her winning streak going.
She is much more annoying because she doesn't play the game well yet is being fed patsies. I prefer to see players like Arthur who know how to wager and strategically move around the board. Julia just bets 1500 or 2k on most DDs, and she actually risked a lock game on FJ by overbetting. She has a good knowledge base and seems strong on the buzzer, but she would get crushed by the woman who came in a distant third in today's Battle of the Decades game.

Shrugs said:
Wingnut said:
NewlyRetired said:

She is much more annoying because she doesn't play the game well yet is being fed patsies. I prefer to see players like Arthur who know how to wager and strategically move around the board. Julia just bets 1500 or 2k on most DDs, and she actually risked a lock game on FJ by overbetting. She has a good knowledge base and seems strong on the buzzer, but she would get crushed by the woman who came in a distant third in today's Battle of the Decades game.
So betting more on daily doubles and moving around the board makes for a better player? She's won more consecutive games than any women ever on the show. Arthur was smug. I always root against smug picks. Julia seems nice.

roger craig is simply money......he seems like a guy that has a couple of bodies stuffed in the trunk of his car, but i have never seen this guy lose.

he bets aggressively. understands how to find DDs. i have supreme confidence he wins the decades tourney.

roger craig is simply money......he seems like a guy that has a couple of bodies stuffed in the trunk of his car, but i have never seen this guy lose.

he bets aggressively. understands how to find DDs. i have supreme confidence he wins the decades tourney.
I agree with you about him. He's my favorite player of all time. But he won't win. When it's the best against the best, it comes down to buzzing speed. In his two Battle of the Decades games thus far, Roger's buzzer has shown to be his weakness. He was killed on the buzzer by 3 of the 4 opponents. He tried to ring in on the first 13 regular clues yesterday but only got in on three, two that the others didn't try to ring in on and one beating the woman. He has no chance against Brad Rutter, who is GOAT on the buzzer and has at least equal knowledge. And no chance against Jennings for the same reason. I'm hoping he makes the final vs Rutter and Jennings, but if he does I fear he gets locked out.

Shrugs said:
Wingnut said:
NewlyRetired said:

I agree that her competition has been weak. She's a good player but not an all timer. At least she smiles a lot.

I agree with you about him. He's my favorite player of all time. But he won't win. When it's the best against the best, it comes down to buzzing speed. In his two Battle of the Decades games thus far, Roger's buzzer has shown to be his weakness. He was killed on the buzzer by 3 of the 4 opponents. He tried to ring in on the first 13 regular clues yesterday but only got in on three, two that the others didn't try to ring in on and one beating the woman. He has no chance against Brad Rutter, who is GOAT on the buzzer and has at least equal knowledge. And no chance against Jennings for the same reason. I'm hoping he makes the final vs Rutter and Jennings, but if he does I fear he gets locked out.
jennings is in this? i havent seem him, just rutter.

Users who are viewing this thread