What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (4 Viewers)

He must not have lost.

I'm kind of pathetic that I look for results here so that I don't have to watch.  That's gonna stink when (if) he finally loses.
I’m one of those who DVR Jeopardy every night, so I can watch later even if I can’t watch live (and have done that for a long time).

His run was an especially auto-watch early on in his run, but may become a bit more of an auto-snooze for me soon. I appreciate his talent/skill, but it’s like watching the Harlem Globetrotters (if their team was composed of unlikable people) versus the Washington Generals every night for months on end — it’s fun to watch and admire for awhile, but it eventually becomes a, yeah, I’ve seen this before.

Just no tension, and, unlike Ken Jennings, I find James’ personality too obnoxious to really root for.

I’m one of those who DVR Jeopardy every night, so I can watch later even if I can’t watch live (and have done that for a long time).

His run was an especially auto-watch early on in his run, but may become a bit more of an auto-snooze for me soon. I appreciate his talent/skill, but it’s like watching the Harlem Globetrotters (if their team was composed of unlikable people) versus the Washington Generals every night for months on end — it’s fun to watch and admire for awhile, but it eventually becomes a, yeah, I’ve seen this before.

Just no tension, and, unlike Ken Jennings, I find James’ personality too obnoxious to really root for.
Interesting, I assumed that most people for the questions and to guess the answers.  I don’t really care who wins and it’s impressive what he’s doing - I’d be fine if he never loses.

Mr. Mojo said:
It never pays to get on the wrong tangent in Jeopardy. Take the final last night for example.

19th Century Novels: The author of this tale dedicated the novel to British philosopher William Godwin, her father.

I have never heard of William Godwin, but I (and many other Jeopardy watchers) have heard of the mountain Godwin- Austen, better known as K2.

So I made the connection to Austen (Jane), who is probably the most famous female author of the 19th century. So I went with Sense and Sensibility.

:wall:  Doh, wrong again.
The key to the answer is the philosophy part.  Frankenstein fits that best.

Interesting, I assumed that most people for the questions and to guess the answers.  I don’t really care who wins and it’s impressive what he’s doing - I’d be fine if he never loses.
The questions and answers are what keep me going. Just a bit less fun to watch when you know what’s going to happen at the end of the day. I like football and seeing people score touchdowns, for example, but I don’t sit down to watch Alabama-Citadel.

Kind of sad when I saw Mary on the screen a week or two ago ❤️, and realized there was no point even bothering to root for her.

There was about a half-minute of tension when the librarian made a run in the Tea category. At that time, if memory serves, James had already hit one daily double and had something like 24K. She had something like 8K. If she hit the other DD, she had a chance to pull within 8K of James. Granted, that is a testament to his dominance—that the mere prospect that a competitor could pull within shouting distance if things fell her way was the highlight. Alas, we know how it ended. But for 30 seconds, I looked up from my dinner at least.

hmmm.  i think James style adds far more tension.  His high variance gameplay makes it exciting.  People are gonna miss him once he's gone.
This. He had 4K last night and landed on a DD before the competitors blinked. He bet it all, got it right and doubled up. Ho hum. But it will become interesting when, on that rare occasion, he misses and the game resets to triple zeroes. He plays it bit more conservatively in double jeopardy, assuming he has a big lead, but without that padding, the double jeopardy round (and the DDs) will be compelling.

There was about a half-minute of tension when the librarian made a run in the Tea category. At that time, if memory serves, James had already hit one daily double and had something like 24K. She had something like 8K. If she hit the other DD, she had a chance to pull within 8K of James. Granted, that is a testament to his dominance—that the mere prospect that a competitor could pull within shouting distance if things fell her way was the highlight. Alas, we know how it ended. But for 30 seconds, I looked up from my dinner at least.
She definitely knew her tea.

this is how I feel.   I am so impressed with his knowledge of EVERTHING.   mind boggling!

hmmm.  i think James style adds far more tension.  His high variance gameplay makes it exciting.  People are gonna miss him once he's gone.

How is his personality obnoxious?  He's a stone cold killer, but not a jerk or anything like that.
He is certainly more tolerable than any of the recent multiple day champs.  Austin (especially), Colby, Matt and Buzzy off the top of my head were all super obnoxious DBags.  This guys just has a quirky smile.

It definitely will get out.  The Reddit sub even has a thread on this subject.  I just hope i don’t see it.  I would like to be surprised.

chet said:
For all the math nerds who have been complaining about the suboptimal wagering in FJ, this article is for you.
However, it's way outdated.  2nd & 3rd have been getting cash for some time now, and it's been over a year since they changed the rules on ties.

I watched part of 1 episode during this run, but I'll now almost assuredly watch this one tonight to see how he found himself trailing going into FJ. Maybe that's the benefit of this being leaked.

I watched part of 1 episode during this run, but I'll now almost assuredly watch this one tonight to see how he found himself trailing going into FJ. Maybe that's the benefit of this being leaked.
meh...seems to be a much bigger story for promoting viewership if he has the possibility of breaking the all time record.  I can't imagine the powers that be are happy about this.

meh...seems to be a much bigger story for promoting viewership if he has the possibility of breaking the all time record.  I can't imagine the powers that be are happy about this.
No not happy that he lost. But since they can't prevent it from happening, leak it out when he does so everyone will tune in.

Mr Anonymous said:
No not happy that he lost. But since they can't prevent it from happening, leak it out when he does so everyone will tune in.
I am saying they would not want it leaked out...more people would tune in to see him break a record than will tune in to see him fall short of a record, IMO.

If having a good day or bad revolved around the Jeopardy! outcome, it seems that you have other issues.
:confused:  Please show me where I said my day was ruined. If you can’t separate the annoyance from having a show spoiled from having a good day or bad day, you might have other issues, like being on your 87th message board handle on a website that clearly doesn’t want you. 

Users who are viewing this thread