Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Frostillicus said:

Why would you post this other than to be a jerk?

In Bobby's defense (not that he needs it from me), all he posted was that he was "bummed about the leaked video".  This doesn't necessarily give anything away.  It could be video showing James attain the record which bummed him out to know in advance.  It could be video about a really close match and the excitement of being able to see it unfold was now gone which bummed him out.  It could be video of something that happens 10 shows down the line.  Only if you dug deeper could you ascertain what Bobby was referencing from his initial post.

Edited by Galileo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Galileo said:

In Bobby's defense (not that he needs it from me), all he posted was that he was "bummed about the leaked video".  This doesn't necessarily give anything away.  It could be video showing Josh attain the record which bummed him out to know in advance.  It could be video about a really close match and the excitement of being able to see it unfold was now gone which bummed him out.  It could be video of something that happens 10 shows down the line.  Only if you dug deeper could you ascertain what Bobby was referencing from his initial post.

Seemed pretty obvious to me, but whatever. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frostillicus said:

Why would you post this other than to be a jerk?

Thanks for trying @Galileo

@Capella / @Frostillicus / the other 56,338 FBGs I pissed off -

You guys are right & I was wrong. Very sorry about that (though I am a bit surprised by how quickly it went vitriolic.) I found out because the headline was on my Google landing page & the front page of one of my investment sites (CNBC or FT or sumtin, not sure?) - I wrongly concluded everyone had heard since I learned about it without even clicking through to the story.

ETA: might be worth noting it was 5AMish, wasn't really awake. Also, I don't watch GoT so probably not as hip about spoilers as I should reasonably be expected to be.

Nothing I can do to make it right, live & learn. Again, my sincere apologies, no malice or (unfortunately) forethought involved.

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Thanks for trying @Galileo

@Capella / @Frostillicus / the other 56,338 FBGs I pissed off -

You guys are right & I was wrong. Very sorry about that (though I am a bit surprised by how quickly it went vitriolic.) I found out because the headline was on my Google landing page & the front page of one of my investment sites (CNBC or FT or sumtin, not sure?) - I wrongly concluded everyone had heard since I learned about it without even clicking through to the story.

ETA: might be worth noting it was 5AMish, wasn't really awake. Also, I don't watch GoT so probably not as hip about spoilers as I should reasonably be expected to be.

Nothing I can do to make it right, live & learn. Again, my sincere apologies, no malice or (unfortunately) forethought involved.

I apologize for calling you a tool. In hindsight, that should have been reserved for posty. 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool, cool, all good. 

(well....at least with 3-4 of you. Waiting on the other 56,335 to weigh in.)

Did they show it tonight or is that later in the season? Can we talk about WTH was that FJ bet all about?

Awesome run. So I presume he ends up with 2nd best all-time in both winnings and winning streak? Absolutely shattered every other record and his strategy was revolutionary, which is pretty crazy for a game that has been on the tube since 1964.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Thanks for trying @Galileo

@Capella / @Frostillicus / the other 56,338 FBGs I pissed off -

You guys are right & I was wrong. Very sorry about that (though I am a bit surprised by how quickly it went vitriolic.) I found out because the headline was on my Google landing page & the front page of one of my investment sites (CNBC or FT or sumtin, not sure?) - I wrongly concluded everyone had heard since I learned about it without even clicking through to the story.

ETA: might be worth noting it was 5AMish, wasn't really awake. Also, I don't watch GoT so probably not as hip about spoilers as I should reasonably be expected to be.

Nothing I can do to make it right, live & learn. Again, my sincere apologies, no malice or (unfortunately) forethought involved.

👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Cool, cool, all good. 

(well....at least with 3-4 of you. Waiting on the other 56,335 to weigh in.)

 

  Hide contents

Did they show it tonight or is that later in the season? Can we talk about WTH was that FJ bet all about?

Awesome run. So I presume he ends up with 2nd best all-time in both winnings and winning streak? Absolutely shattered every other record and his strategy was revolutionary, which is pretty crazy for a game that has been on the tube since 1964.

I think after the show is fair game.

 

What in the hell was that final bet about? Did he throw the game? She had enough to beat him but still...?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Capella said:

What in the hell was that final bet about? Did he throw the game? She had enough to beat him but still...?

He bet just enough to beat the guy in 3rd place if he bet double. It was the right bet, since she had to miss the question.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Capella said:

I think after the show is fair game.

 

What in the hell was that final bet about? Did he throw the game? She had enough to beat him but still...?

He needed the leader to get it wrong and he wanted to guard against the top two getting it wrong and the third place finisher getting FJ correct.  His wager wasn't going to win it for him but it could have cost him a victory in certain circumstances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

He bet just enough to beat the guy in 3rd place if he bet double. It was the right bet, since she had to miss the question.

I don’t know if I buy that. It was her first time on the show and there had to be substantial. He had to at least take into account she could screw up the betting no? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chet said:

He needed the leader to get it wrong and he wanted to guard against the top two getting it wrong and the third place finisher getting FJ correct.  His wager wasn't going to win it for him but it could have cost him a victory in certain circumstances.

I can see how for some people this is the play but it seems to run contradictory to how he’s bet in the past. Also, what did he miss on this run - 1 FJ total? He also didn’t miss an answer all night. Just odd. 

Edited by Capella
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Capella said:

I can see how for some people this is the play but it seems to run contradictory to how he’s bet in the past. Also, what did he miss on this run - 1 FJ total? He also didn’t miss an answer all night. Just odd. 

It was the correct play and you've never seen it before because he's never trailed going into FJ.  His goal was to win the game first and he gained nothing by wagering big.  There are some scenarios where he costs himself the victory by wagering big in FJ.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Capella said:

I don’t know if I buy that. It was her first time on the show and there had to be substantial. He had to at least take into account she could screw up the betting no? 

He arranged the game so that if she missed the question he won no matter what else happened.

The odds of her missing the question have to be higher than her losing because she bet wrong.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Capella said:

I don’t know if I buy that. It was her first time on the show and there had to be substantial. He had to at least take into account she could screw up the betting no? 

Everyone knows that if you are in the lead in Final Jeopardy, but you don't have double the next opponent that you will bet enough to beat that opponent by at least one dollar, and that was exactly her bet. James knew that the only way he could win was if she didn't answer correctly. So then, he bet the amount that would beat the 3rd place contestant if he bet double, and he bet that exact amount (edit to clarify, he bet enough that if he missed the answer he would still beat the 3rd place guy).

As a side note, James lost because in round 1 he got the first daily double right off the bat, so he could only bet 1000, which essentially made it a regular 1000 dollar question. Then in Round 2, Emma found both Double Jeopardys, and she doubled up on one, and bet 3000 on the other (which I thought was a mistake going against James). 

Edited by Kilgore Trout
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Game theory. He assumes she will bet big and other guy will bet big  

If he gets it right and she gets it right, he knows he’s not going to win. 

If he gets it right and she gets it wrong, he doesn’t need a big bet to take the lead. 

If they both get it wrong, he wants to lose a small amount and hope she bets big. 

If he gets it wrong, he also has to defend against the other guy getting it right and doubling his amount. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

As a side note, James lost because in round 1 he got the first daily double right off the bat, so he could only bet 1000, which essentially made it a regular 1000 dollar question. Then in Round 2, Emma found both Double Jeopardys, and she doubled up on one, and bet 3000 on the other (which I thought was a mistake going against James). 

Honestly, James got beat at his own game. Most players would never try to do a true Double Jeopardy in Round 2. Emma knew who she was playing, and had to make that bet. The fact that she also found the second one sealed the deal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

The odds of her missing the question have to be higher than her losing because she bet wrong.

Yeah, I wonder how often the person in first place going into final jeopardy gets it right and loses. I'm sure it's happened, but has to be extremely rare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Seems like the consensus is James made the right play, but she also played very smart throughout both rounds - as well as getting lucky in finding the DJs. Bit of a perfect storm to take him down.

He was unlucky getting the DD in the first Rd when he had no $ yet 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Capella said:

I can see how for some people this is the play but it seems to run contradictory to how he’s bet in the past. Also, what did he miss on this run - 1 FJ total? He also didn’t miss an answer all night. Just odd. 

How often has he gone into FJ not in the lead?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

She was ahead by 3000 at that point, it was the last DD and therefore she knew he couldn't "leap ahead" by betting 10K on a single question or anything. She bet enough to keep her lead even if she got it wrong, and put the pressure on him to out-buzz her, which he hadn't been doing yet. 

Losing a late lead against James with no DDs left on the board would be a bigger mistake IMO.

To me it was a matter of betting on getting a true Daily Double right or waiting for Final Jeopardy. You are probably right that Final Jeopardy would be less risky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Honestly, James got beat at his own game. Most players would never try to do a true Double Jeopardy in Round 2. Emma knew who she was playing, and had to make that bet. The fact that she also found the second one sealed the deal.

yep.  i had a feeling once people saw him play a bit his days would be numbered as they would simply use his strategy as well.  Then on a day where he misses the DDs he is done.  Like today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2019 at 8:25 PM, PinkydaPimp said:

I think we will see more of these close games as more players learn that they must play aggressive to compete with him.  Should be interesting.  

 

On 5/2/2019 at 8:17 PM, PinkydaPimp said:

so with the teachers tournament, does that mean we will start seeing players that have most likely seen a good portion of his run?  We still see players that havent changed their strategy yet, but i think more and more will play like the guy earlier this week.

 

On 5/2/2019 at 8:37 PM, PinkydaPimp said:

Well there is a strategy.  You need to get the DDs away from him to have a chance.  Which means not going for the top line first.  I still see people doing this.  When you have a chance you need to choose questions likely to have a DD.  Of course thats easier said than done.  but its almost a must that you have to do that against him. 

:shrug:i will be curious to see him during the next tourney. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, shuke said:

Well, one thing I'm thankful for, due to the spoiler I made sure I watched tonight, and learned that I've been pronouncing Albert Camus incorrectly my entire life.

I never make fun of people who mispronounce words--they learned them by reading. 

Camus' name comes up often enough on Jeopardy! though--did you break your ankle jumping off the bandwagon when James lost?

  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

He was unlucky getting the DD in the first Rd when he had no $ yet 

Yeah, for sure, that was massive because he usually gets on a roll from impeccable buzzer timing & gets so far out in front there’s no hope. Only netting $1K from that DD set the tone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...