What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (1 Viewer)

I amazed that this episode was filmed March 12th, almost 2 months ago and was able to stay spoiler proof, we’ll almost.

I don’t know if I buy that. It was her first time on the show and there had to be substantial. He had to at least take into account she could screw up the betting no? 
He absolutely wagered the right amount. Gave himself the best chance to win. No brainer to make sure 3rd place couldn't catch him. Only wager she's going to make was just enough to beat him if he doubled up.

He absolutely wagered the right amount. Gave himself the best chance to win. No brainer to make sure 3rd place couldn't catch him. Only wager she's going to make was just enough to beat him if he doubled up.
Yes so I have gathered. I wasn’t paying attention to how much third place had when the show ended. Wasn’t even thinking about him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@OrtonToOlsen When you're figuring out your final jeopardy wager amount do the contestants get any tools to help them with the math? Calculator? Pen and paper? Do they let you do the math into the place where you write your final jeopardy answer? Or you just have to figure it out in your head?

@OrtonToOlsen When you're figuring out your final jeopardy wager amount do the contestants get any tools to help them with the math? Calculator? Pen and paper? Do they let you do the math into the place where you write your final jeopardy answer? Or you just have to figure it out in your head?
You get a pen and paper. No calculator etc.

They also have you write your wager on the screen, then on the paper.  Then a contestant coordinator erases your wager on the screen and has you rewrite it just to confirm.

I have to say every freaking website spoiling this thing today was bull####. Not talking about here in the thread, i'm talking about cnn, huffpo, yahoo, every freaking website has their headline talking about a "big spoiler' for tonight's show. Who are the ####### nitwits who OK'd that? Who thought it'd be a good idea to spoil the show for their readers? What's next? Giving away movie endings? It's bad enough that almost every day for the last two weeks cnn.com and espn.com had to post at 4:31pst that the guy won again. Do these websites not know there's a west coast? I actually sent the 3rd tweet of my life last week to some idiot at cnn.com who wrote the "breaking news" about the guy winning. Is everybody just a spaz now who can't keep it in their pants for a few hours?

You get a pen and paper. No calculator etc.

They also have you write your wager on the screen, then on the paper.  Then a contestant coordinator erases your wager on the screen and has you rewrite it just to confirm.
Interesting. Is that to avoid mathematical errors? What if you had made an obvious math error. Would that person tell you?

Thanks for trying @Galileo

@Capella / @Frostillicus / the other 56,338 FBGs I pissed off -

You guys are right & I was wrong. Very sorry about that (though I am a bit surprised by how quickly it went vitriolic.) I found out because the headline was on my Google landing page & the front page of one of my investment sites (CNBC or FT or sumtin, not sure?) - I wrongly concluded everyone had heard since I learned about it without even clicking through to the story.

ETA: might be worth noting it was 5AMish, wasn't really awake. Also, I don't watch GoT so probably not as hip about spoilers as I should reasonably be expected to be.

Nothing I can do to make it right, live & learn. Again, my sincere apologies, no malice or (unfortunately) forethought involved.
Well written mea culpa.  I wasn't spoiled because I don't visit this thread until after that night's show.  I also don't spend a lot of time on news sites, so didn't see any spoilers.
I agree with @Nipsey about the media's inability to keep anything secret.

My wife was pretty ticked because her mom spoiled it for her.  We usually record it and watch it later in the evening.  Her mom watches it when it is on, and said to my wife afterwards "well, that girl beat him!"  My wife made a point of not letting me know.

Here’s the perfect storm of circumstances that felled him: he faced not one but two really good opponents who were also very quick on the buzzer. So if one didn’t know the response or couldn’t beat him on the buzzer that clue, the other did often enough. He still outplayed both of them in number of correct responses, but the luck of the draw on the daily doubles went against him. He got one on the first clue of the game, before he had anything to wager. Then the winner found both DDs in DJ and got them right. It was the combination of all of these that had him lose by 3200, but he was the same player he always was: didn’t miss a question, got his DD and FJ right, got the most correct responses. He seemed to have an off day on the buzzer, but maybe that was due to his opponents.

If you are complaining about spoilers get over it.  It was on the CBS evening news.
Yep.  But it was a Richard move.  I wonder where one sends one's complaints.  ABC didn't do that.

eidt - I found the CBS News website and complained.  Not that it does much good.

He took a dive in final....
I don’t think so. Both James & the new champ made the correct bet on FJ. The only tactical error he might of made was category selection late in the game - he went to a new category (“Capital A”) and Emma went on a run, and eventually found the last DD. Up by $3K, she doubled her lead (& if she had missed, would have still been tied.)

She was so well prepared. The NYT article on her says spent a year standing in front of the tv practicing ringing in while watching new episodes (first with a ballpoint pen, then she switched to something larger that was more like the actual buzzer.) After graduating from Princeton she did her masters thesis on Jeopardy! 

For the entire game, there was only one incorrect answer by all three, and 1st/2nd missed none.

James retires having answered 32 of 33 FJ Qs correctly. KJ got like 68%, and the average is around 51-52%. So his FJ bet was based on the presumption he needed to beat 3rd place (he bet &1 more) and that Emma might answer incorrectly.

Jeopardy! uploaded the full episode to YouTube

Ironically my wife wasn’t spoiled at all. But we paused it on the dvr to put the kid to bed and her mom texted her “wow can’t believe he lost” 10 minutes before we saw it. :lmao:  Guess it was just bound to happen. 

At first glance thought his FJ wager was odd/out of place but saw that it was his only/best bet.  She had to miss the question and he had to cover third place. Nothing else James could do there.

Both the other players were very smart and quick to the buzzer.  Only one question was missed the entire game.  Crazy. 

Emma played flawlessly and her getting the DDs in the second round sealed her win.  Also, as was mentioned above, when she didn't win the buzzer, Jay often did creating a tough road for James to overcome.  

It was a great run. Hope to see him back in a champions tourney.  

I figured James would eventually lose by getting a DD or a FJ wrong.  Kind of crazy that he lost getting both right.  He didn't dominate the buzzer and both opponents were very good. He got every answer right and still lost.  wow.

Emma also knew who she was facing and planned to be aggressive from the start.  I wonder if she was one of his earlier opponents would she have played the same.  Would she play a true daily double in the DJ round?  

Emma also knew who she was facing and planned to be aggressive from the start.  I wonder if she was one of his earlier opponents would she have played the same.  Would she play a true daily double in the DJ round?  
No way. It really looked like she had to force herself to do it. Even though everyone (including herself) knew she had no other choice.

PS - Bobby spoiled it for me too. Not angry about it, but definitely annoying. I was considerate enough not to spoil it for my family.

No way. It really looked like she had to force herself to do it. Even though everyone (including herself) knew she had no other choice.

PS - Bobby spoiled it for me too. Not angry about it, but definitely annoying. I was considerate enough not to spoil it for my family.
Yeah we knew it was his losing game once I saw Emma as a player.  Didn't know if it would air Monday or another day this week.  My wife saw it elsewhere but didn't say anything to me but I saw this thread yesterday morning and figured the leaked story was that he lost.  

I wasn't angry either, just bummed out a little.  We've been tuning in for awhile now during his run. Before I'd only try to tune in at least during FJ to see the question.  I was glad to see that Emma played a great game to challenge him and that he didn't just have a horrible day.  Hope we see him again sometime on there. 

Edit to add:  I agree that she wouldn't have been as bold if she didn't know what she was up against.  

BTW, the other guy qualifies as one of the best 3rd placer finishers ever.
:goodposting: Yeah, he really got robbed from his shining nerd moment of being a returning champ.  He memorized the entire Trivial Pursuit 1st Edition as a child!  He missed one answer.

Poor *******.

Holy crap the hair is AWESOME.  And the librarian attire to go with it.  Where did she even find that stuff to wear, along with a salon that won't tell her to leave 1950's?

God bless EMMA, you go!

Even the name is perfect, I'm dying over here. 😂  HUGE FAN, will be watching tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread