What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (1 Viewer)

Congrats to Ken, who was maybe undervalued after James' great run.  He takes the current best Jeopardy Champ title.  

That being said, can we redo the whole thing with Ken and James going head to head?  Brad did nothing but get in the way here.   Let's see a mano-a-mano showdown between the two Jeopardy geniuses.

As was mentioned earlier... this was easily the hardest Jeopardy shows I've ever seen.  Even categories I thought I knew well had obscure and crazy questions in them.  It was fun to see how small my knowledge base really is.   :P

He admitted that he was guessing most of the time on the DDs and didn't "know" the answers. The pause was him working out the best guess. And he probably was surprised when he got it right. The other two did the same. You don't have to know all the answers - if you know enough about the subject, you can guess the right answer most of the time. 
Seemed kind of coincidental that he got it right every single time he did this.

I appreciated the showmanship! 

Seemed kind of coincidental that he got it right every single time he did this.

I appreciated the showmanship! 
He didn’t get it every single time. But he got it most of the time, because he’s the GOAT. He knows that most of the clues give you enough to figure out the answer. They all did.

Ken's little pause, then answer, then acting surprised he got it correct was a bit much. I don't think he missed one when he did that whole act. Guy has a bit of ham in him.
So you think he spent his entire time on Jeopardy doing some kind of schtick?  

I have no idea what is wrong with people.  Does it make you feel superior or something?

So you think he spent his entire time on Jeopardy doing some kind of schtick?  

I have no idea what is wrong with people.  Does it make you feel superior or something?
Yes I think he was shticking it up. Showmanship.

No it does not make me feel superior to supercomputer millionaire Ken Jennings. 

I really enjoyed the best ever series and the questions were harder than I've ever seen on any other Jeopardy! show.  However, almost every time they all passed, I somehow knew the question.  Not true though when they knew.   :bag:  

Didnt James say he was using childrens books to prepare, which makes total sense!
James said in an interview once that when there’s a topic he knows nothing about, he’ll find a children’s book on that subject because it introduces the content simply. He uses that as a starting point to get a feel and then dives into the minutiae as he normally would once he has a good grasp.  

It constantly amazes me just how wide these guys’ knowledge goes. I understand getting all the dead presidents/Shakespeare/science questions right, things about documented US/European history, even current events type questions. Its the one in a million type questions that get me. “A 5’8” Ukranian dentist, who was the 3rd person in 1923 to visit Stonehenge AND die of a snakebite both in the same month, has a great grand nephew who founded an orphanage in Newfoundland and married a romance novelist from Arizona”. And bam, Ken and James are smashing the buzzer because somehow they both have heard of this guy.   Just astounding to watch them both.  

And Ken especially is amazing when it’s a category that requires multiple answers and needs them translated or combined. The Numbers to Roman Numerals to Initials to Name category last night, or the Triple Rhyming one from the first night...I pause the show immediately after the question to try and think it through and combine it all out. Ken is wicked fast at processing and verbalizing those

And Ken especially is amazing when it’s a category that requires multiple answers and needs them translated or combined. The Numbers to Roman Numerals to Initials to Name category last night, or the Triple Rhyming one from the first night...I pause the show immediately after the question to try and think it through and combine it all out. Ken is wicked fast at processing and verbalizing those
Lol and true at the rest, but dammit yes about the above. I couldn't follow even after he said the answer to those- I still needed time processing it before they moved to the next question.

+1, we talked about that at Chez Dinsy.  Amazing.

James said in an interview once that when there’s a topic he knows nothing about, he’ll find a children’s book on that subject because it introduces the content simply. He uses that as a starting point to get a feel and then dives into the minutiae as he normally would once he has a good grasp.  

It constantly amazes me just how wide these guys’ knowledge goes. I understand getting all the dead presidents/Shakespeare/science questions right, things about documented US/European history, even current events type questions. Its the one in a million type questions that get me. “A 5’8” Ukranian dentist, who was the 3rd person in 1923 to visit Stonehenge AND die of a snakebite both in the same month, has a great grand nephew who founded an orphanage in Newfoundland and married a romance novelist from Arizona”. And bam, Ken and James are smashing the buzzer because somehow they both have heard of this guy.   Just astounding to watch them both.  

I agree completely. You could give me several minutes on some of those "triples" and I might come up with 2 out of 3.

I also noticed that they seemed to have good pronunciation on many of the tough foreign words and phrases.

They really are fun and amazing to watch.

wlwiles said:

Back to regular Jeopardy tonight with one nervous lady scoring an impressive -$4,600 and another missing about 50% of his answers. Thanks goodness the Champ played solid again.

Some of these people look like utter baboons after the tournament we just watched.  :confused:

Finally caught up on this on the DVR.  It took me a moment to sink in when Trebek said this is the last time we'll probably be together.  That's rough. 

Good for Jennings.  He kicked ###.  I was pulling for James, but Ken was better. 

what are we talking about here?
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6529

Priscilla had an epicly terrible game, finishing at -$5400.

At one point, she answered the clue "It's the most common last name in over half the US states" with "What is C?", was ruled incorrect by Alex, and then said "Oh, sorry, what is..." and tried to answer again before Alex cut her off and said "You were already incorrect the first time". 
She was so anxious, she could barely breathe, let alone speak. I thought she was going to go into convulsions at any moment. It was so bad, even alex had to say something about it at the end. And wow did she give some bad answers..reminded me of that miss America contestant who just started saying all the words she could  think of, without them having any relation to the previous or following word.

First we had a pro gambler, now we have a "Slot Floorperson".  Who says gambling doesn't pay?
I'm surprised they let him wear the 'Choose Life" pin. I can understand wearing ribbons for diseases and such, but I can't figure out why they let someone wear a political pin.

Anyone else want to tell the current blonde champ to stand still?

The lady is smart but bouncing all over the place.

I did the online test again this week. It's really disheartening to miss stuff that I knew that at some point earlier in life I would have gotten easily. I'm guessing I got somewhere between 10-12 wrong, which won't be good enough. Stupid opera...

I did the online test again this week. It's really disheartening to miss stuff that I knew that at some point earlier in life I would have gotten easily. I'm guessing I got somewhere between 10-12 wrong, which won't be good enough. Stupid opera...
For me it's being slower than I was. There are 1-2 questions per night that I know, but am too slow to get them out. 20 years ago I would easily have got them in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread