Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh

7 hours ago, Penguin said:

I have a feeling that tonight's new champ may go on a run

That’s what I thought about the Jewish guy earlier this week but he was terrible in his second game. I agree, yesterday’s champ was impressive. 

On 3/18/2021 at 3:23 PM, chet said:

Anyone notice her standing on one leg with the other extended behind her close to the end of FJ yesterday?  Very distracting.  Don't like her in this seat at all.

Katie is 65 soon. Probably a little long in the tooth to be just starting out in the game show game. Although she was not horrible she did not bring much either. Katie never seemed that sharp on her other shows so not sure why they would want to have her on a show like Jeopardy.

Dr. Oz not any better.      Just waiting for Aaron Rodgers.  Have no idea how that will turn out.      

Ken Jennings would be good, he just needs more experience to grow into the role as he does have the intellect and wit needed for the show.

Edited by Summer Wheat
  • Like 2

Semi Jeopardy related - James Holzhauer's brother is running for a spot on the Naperville City Council.

Not Jepoardy related - a neighboring suburb has a Danny Glover running for their city council.  Unfortunetly it is a 40 year old white guy and not a former LAPD officer with a loose cannon as a partner.

• Laughing 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, UOFI_316 said:

Not Jepoardy related - a neighboring suburb has a Danny Glover running for their city council.  Unfortunetly it is a 40 year old white guy and not a former LAPD officer with a loose cannon as a partner.

Well, to be fair, he is getting too old for this ####.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2

The only way Dr. Oz would be good is if they do one of those category themes when they announce categories, so that he has to read out:

• "Eye" - dealing with the anatomy of the eye.
  • Yam - All about potatoes
  • "A" - every answer starts with the letter "A"
  • Quack - All about ducks.
Edited by Don Quixote
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

23 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

The only way Dr. Oz would be good is if they do one of those category themes when they announce categories, so that he has to read out:

• "Eye" - dealing with the anatomy of the eye.
  • Yam - All about potatoes
  • "A" - every answer starts with the letter "A"
  • Quack - All about ducks.

While both yams and potatoes are tubers, they are in different families, so a yam is not a potato.

Sorry in advance. :kicksrock:

I don’t like the little fun facts Oz occasionally drops about the previous question. Comes of as smug. Alex had more restraint. 

Also, I can’t stand this new champ. He takes so long to answer after ringing in. I can’t believe he didn’t run out of time at least five or six                        times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MTskibum said:

While both yams and potatoes are tubers, they are in different families, so a yam is not a potato.

Sorry in advance. :kicksrock:

Yeah, I was expecting a comment like that, but I decided to make the joke anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

About a week ago I guess we had Jeopardy on in the background while making dinner. There was a long stretch where they only showed the contestants but we could hear the host. I said to my wife, “Who’s hosting this week? Whoever it is, man it’s the best since Alex has passed.” Well, it was a rerun of one of Alex’s last shows and it made me a lot more sad than it should have. 

I can’t even say that I liked Alex very much all these years. I always thought he was a bit smug and it seemed natural to pick between Alex and Pat (Sajak), and I always felt partial to Pat. He lives in nearby Annapolis and he has always come off as super down to earth on interviews. 

I was almost moved to tears seeing Alex again. It’s always been sort of a unwritten tradition/habit to have Jeopardy and the wheel on during dinner. Out of nowhere I was flooded with 25 years of memories of Jeopardy and family dinners. 

I dont think they’re going to find a suitable replacement. Not for this nostalgic old fool anyway. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

A-Rod was not good but did not expect him to be.  This had to be just a "Rating grab"    A-Rod would not give up 35 million a year to host a game show even if he was offered the job.

Link

A lot of people joke that Alex Trebek had the ultimate dream job on Jeopardy!—he was paid pretty well to work just 40-something days a year. So I’ve got to ask—would you ever consider giving up football to host Jeopardy!?

I don’t think I’d need to give up football to do it. They film 46 days a year. I worked 187 this year in Green Bay. That gives me, eh—[pauses]—178 days to do Jeopardy! So I feel like I could fit 46 into that 178 and make it work. It would be a dream job for sure, and I’m not shy at all about saying I want the job. That’s how I went into it. I want an opportunity to be in the mix.

Edited by Penguin

6 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Link

A lot of people joke that Alex Trebek had the ultimate dream job on Jeopardy!—he was paid pretty well to work just 40-something days a year. So I’ve got to ask—would you ever consider giving up football to host Jeopardy!?

I don’t think I’d need to give up football to do it. They film 46 days a year. I worked 187 this year in Green Bay. That gives me, eh—[pauses]—178 days to do Jeopardy! So I feel like I could fit 46 into that 178 and make it work. It would be a dream job for sure, and I’m not shy at all about saying I want the job. That’s how I went into it. I want an opportunity to be in the mix.

He obviously knows his schedule way better than I ever would but I would think in a non-covid year he’d spend way more than a 187 days in Green Bay. That’s basically last week of July- end of January. Usually with mini camps and longer training camps I would think he’s working longer. But who knows. 

Rodgers was a little slow to read clues but he was OK. Didn’t waste time interjecting like Dr Oz, just played it straight. The FJ answer from the returning champ was classic. :lmao:

• Like 3

I think alot of it is simply how you vibe with the producer.  He is likely in their ear steering them around what to say and when.  Im sure they add their own add libs and flair and that  is what makes them a good host.  Aaron just seemed blah. 

8 hours ago, chet said:

I came in with a negative bias toward AR because of the stories about him cutting his family off etc.  Negative bias remains.

I have negative bias bc FTP but I like his laconic style. Also I noticed in Day Two he mimics a few classic Trebekian verbal traits ("that's the city/lake/president") and a few other phrases that reminded me a of Alex. It's weird bc I would think that would come off badly and I have no reason to like Rodgers but I think he's doing a good job.

Still on TeamKen though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

I have negative bias bc FTP but I like his laconic style. Also I noticed in Day Two he mimics a few classic Trebekian verbal traits ("that's the city/lake/president") and a few other phrases that reminded me a of Alex. It's weird bc I would think that would come off badly and I have no reason to like Rodgers but I think he's doing a good job.

Still on TeamKen though.

Is laconic a synonym for dull, listless, boring, monotonous, or nondescript?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Is laconic a synonym for dull, listless, boring, monotonous, or nondescript?

I believe those are the exact same adjectives my no-football-awareness gf used.

He still seems a bit stiff.  Trying to loosen up with the drawn out "yeeeesss"...just not sure its really fitting or as comfortable for him as he wanted it to be.

Something is missing...he has the smugness down...but not the rest.

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

He still seems a bit stiff.  Trying to loosen up with the drawn out "yeeeesss"...just not sure its really fitting or as comfortable for him as he wanted it to be.

KO-rect

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

Rodgers is pretty good expect his voice is not strong enough. 

That is strange because he sounds so loud calling out signals duing games.

8 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Rodgers is pretty good expect his voice is not strong enough. 

That is strange because he sounds so loud calling out signals duing games.

That's because there he doesn't have to put it into a form of a question.

• Laughing 2