Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh

I don't even like AR but still have to defend him. He won a celebrity version + 50k for his charity. Just because those are easier questions doesn't mean he didn't beat out a group of somewhat dumber celebrities.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He is a very nice guy in my experience.  I have a handicapped brother who is obsessed with jeopardy.  When he was young they said he would never be able to talk and he taught himself to speak watching

Thanks for trying @Galileo @Capella / @Frostillicus / the other 56,338 FBGs I pissed off - You guys are right & I was wrong. Very sorry about that (though I am a bit surprised by how qui

love spending other people’s money on the internet 

9 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I don't even like AR but still have to defend him. He won a celebrity version + 50k for his charity. Just because those are easier questions doesn't mean he didn't beat out a group of somewhat dumber celebrities.

I don't question his intelligence. I'm just not sure his personality will work as a game show host. (But I don't think Jennings' personality really works either.) 

• Like 1

WTF.  "Some guy held the record for the mile and this slightly shorter metric race."

And their three guesses were 10,000m, 10m, and 500m??  How do you come up with any of those 3 choices.  6 miles, 30 feet and 1/4 mile.

18 hours ago, UOFI_316 said:

WTF.  "Some guy held the record for the mile and this slightly shorter metric race."

And their three guesses were 10,000m, 10m, and 500m??  How do you come up with any of those 3 choices.  6 miles, 30 feet and 1/4 mile.

Americans don’t know the metric system 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, UOFI_316 said:

It's a lot to convert 5000-ish feet into meters in your head, and then remember exactly what track and field events are close to that distance. I could see someone saying "Is there a 1000m race? Is there 500? 1500? 2000? 2500?" 

It's kind of a wild guess if you're not a track and field expert.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shades said:

It's a lot to convert 5000-ish feet into meters in your head, and then remember exactly what track and field events are close to that distance. I could see someone saying "Is there a 1000m race? Is there 500? 1500? 2000? 2500?" 

And wild guesses really shouldn't be a thing here.  You should at least have some idea of the answer if you are going to make a guess.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, shades said:

I get that there is some wild guess involved in answering and I assume some nerves when it is not your top subject.  If their answers were 1600m, 2000m, 1000m I would not have said anything.  But 10m and 10000m should never be guesses from someone who made it onto the show.

When Aaron Rodgers is guest host I am really hoping there are some football related categories and we get 3 contestants who know nothing about sports.  Alex loved the one episode a few years ago where they went down the entire category about football without a single attempt at an answer.

6 hours ago, UOFI_316 said:

When Aaron Rodgers is guest host I am really hoping there are some football related categories and we get 3 contestants who know nothing about sports.  Alex loved the one episode a few years ago where they went down the entire category about football without a single attempt at an answer.

To make it worse they were all pretty easy answers. Not like the Dan Patrick fronted Sports Jeopardy, which had some fairly obscure clues.

On 1/12/2021 at 3:02 PM, Snoopy said:

Aaron Rodgers just stated that he will be a guest host.

If we’re going NFL players/game show hosts, what’s Rolf Benirschke up to these days?

On 1/14/2021 at 9:01 PM, UOFI_316 said:

Just watched this episode and at the first break, KJ said the leader had a lead of $4800 which was actually his total.  He did the same thing at the end of the Jeopardy! round.  Maybe a small thing but I doubt AT would make such a mistake.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, chet said:

Just watched this episode and at the first break, KJ said the leader had a lead of $4800 which was actually his total.  He did the same thing at the end of the Jeopardy! round.  Maybe a small thing but I doubt AT would make such a mistake.

I know they sometimes edit to cover stuff,  but Alex making a mistake was an extremely rare occurrence. He was like a machine.

15 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I know they sometimes edit to cover stuff,  but Alex making a mistake was an extremely rare occurrence. He was like a machine.

He did at the beginning.  Remember, recent Alex had been doing the show for decades.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, apalmer said:

Only if he knew the correct answer. If he was drawing a blank and was losing the money anyhow, it cost him nothing extra.

I agree.

But it seemed like such an easy question, it was hard to imagine that he blanked on it, but who knows?

41 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

I agree.

But it seemed like such an easy question, it was hard to imagine that he blanked on it, but who knows?

If he was planning on a joke answer whether he knew the correct response or not, wouldn't he have bet nothing? I don't think it was "easy" in that I had no idea that the 6 in Motel 6 had any relationship to its rates and I doubt most people know that. It was one of those Finals that can be "figured out" pretty easily if you can isolate the important part of the question and the category, but it's also one that a contestant might look at and say "I have no idea". It's really similar to the DD he missed when he couldn't relate "puff" to an article of clothing and guessed "pastry".

Edited by apalmer

Jeopardy! related - has anyone caught the first two episodes of the new Chase trivia show?  Ken, James, and Brad are the 3 chasers.  So far there's been two episodes, and without completely spoiling anything, I'll just say that James is still in peak form.  I thoroughly enjoyed their GOAT Jeopardy! tourney, but what I really liked was seeing the banter, the human side of them, etc. in addition to the trivia knowledge.  The Chase's format lends itself to that, it's slower paced and not just rapid-fire questions

2 hours ago, wlwiles said:

Jeopardy! related - has anyone caught the first two episodes of the new Chase trivia show?  Ken, James, and Brad are the 3 chasers.  So far there's been two episodes, and without completely spoiling anything, I'll just say that James is still in peak form.  I thoroughly enjoyed their GOAT Jeopardy! tourney, but what I really liked was seeing the banter, the human side of them, etc. in addition to the trivia knowledge.  The Chase's format lends itself to that, it's slower paced and not just rapid-fire questions

I’ve watched it, but I prefer the rapid fire question format of Jeopardy. The Chase has too much other stuff going on.

I don’t need someone to explain after every question/answer that they knew the correct answer because “oh, I’ve read that before, so I knew the right answer.”

• Like 1
10 hours ago, apalmer said:

If he was planning on a joke answer whether he knew the correct response or not, wouldn't he have bet nothing? I don't think it was "easy" in that I had no idea that the 6 in Motel 6 had any relationship to its rates and I doubt most people know that. It was one of those Finals that can be "figured out" pretty easily if you can isolate the important part of the question and the category, but it's also one that a contestant might look at and say "I have no idea". It's really similar to the DD he missed when he couldn't relate "puff" to an article of clothing and guessed "pastry".

Yup, all I could come up with was Dollar Rent-A-Car. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

As long as they don't use Wolf Blitzer, who played the most embarrassing game of Jeopardy I've ever seen. 

I'm guessing that you didn't see Kirsten Dunce (I mean Dunst). She looked like a deer in a 5th grader's headlights.

Edited by Mr. Mojo

I'm really enjoying Jennings as the host, you can tell he's settling in a bit in his delivery, and he's getting comfortable enough to throw in a bit of banter here and there after particular clues.  Always been a big fan of his since his epic run, glad he won the GOAT tourney and would love to see him get the permanent job. 

• Like 2

Looks like Jennings last episode (at least for this stint) airs on Feb 19th. Next up will be executive producer Mike Richards followed by Katie Couric then Aaron Rodgers and Mayim Bialik in that order. No mention of how many episodes each guest will host.

Other announced guest hosts include two CNN figures — Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sajay Gupta, Savannah Guthrie, a reporter from Today, and Dr. Oz. No order has been set for those three as of now.

Link

Correct answers to Final Jeopardy can be really streaky.

I was on a hot streak recently where I only missed 2 Finals in 3 weeks.   :pickle:

I knew it would catch up with me and sure enough it did - I have only one correct of the last 8. :bag:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Correct answers to Final Jeopardy can be really streaky.

I was on a hot streak recently where I only missed 2 Finals in 3 weeks.   :pickle:

I knew it would catch up with me and sure enough it did - I have only one correct of the last 8. :bag:

Few things give me greater pleasure than getting FJ when all three contestants miss it. I'm a :nerd:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Few things give me greater pleasure than getting FJ when all three contestants miss it. I'm a :nerd:

I will take it on a normal question.  Like the Dave Chappelle one from a few weeks ago.  I love being able to mutter "dumb-asses" under my breath at the contestants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 1
On 2/10/2021 at 11:28 PM, UOFI_316 said:

I will take it on a normal question.  Like the Dave Chappelle one from a few weeks ago.  I love being able to mutter "dumb-asses" under my breath at the contestants.

Not only do I know what Jimmy Butler looks like (this one I can understand if you don't watch basketball), but I know that the Taj Mahal is not going to be an answer to the category "Geographical Namesake".

• Like 2
12 hours ago, UOFI_316 said:

Not only do I know what Jimmy Butler looks like (this one I can understand if you don't watch basketball), but I know that the Taj Mahal is not going to be an answer to the category "Geographical Namesake".

The first thing I said when I saw that clue was "I know it's not the Taj Majal." 😆

11 hours ago, Dennis Castro said:

I agree. He was more engaging and had a much better voice for television. I wouldn’t be at all upset if he left his current position to be the new host.

I’d still like to see LeVar Burton get a shot though.

That's a good suggestion as hes very likable and would do a good job but I think they'd be better off getting someone much younger in an effort to find the next Alex. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...