Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

And the stupid woman at the end can't wager.

It's amazing how many third-placers going into FJ make poor wagers. Which could have a bit to do with why they were in third place to begin with. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i wish they would do a cover of the jeopardy song that baby needs to be freshed up they should looking glass to cover it and not only would more people watch the show but it would shatter the top 40 into pieces take that to the bank bromigos 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two mistakes/things that Rodgers is doing that could be improved. 

1. He wastes time elaborating on correct answers too often.  When the clue is a person and the contestant rings in with "Who is Emerson?" and Rodgers says "yes, that's right, Ralph Waldo Emerson is correct. Go again".  Just a yes will do bud.  

2. Because of #1, last night the contestants ran out of time and didn't get to all the clues in the DJ round.  But Rodgers never gave them the typical "less than a minute now" warning and you could see some of them were a bit surprised when the buzzer went off to signal the end of the round.  That may be more on the producers, but they should be in his ear telling him to give the players a heads-up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2021 at 1:16 PM, culdeus said:

Is Levar Burton not doing a guest spot?  I thought he was announced earlier, but I don't see it anywhere now.  

They released the next set of guest hosts and he is not on there.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, wlwiles said:

Two mistakes/things that Rodgers is doing that could be improved. 

1. He wastes time elaborating on correct answers too often.  When the clue is a person and the contestant rings in with "Who is Emerson?" and Rodgers says "yes, that's right, Ralph Waldo Emerson is correct. Go again".  Just a yes will do bud.  

2. Because of #1, last night the contestants ran out of time and didn't get to all the clues in the DJ round.  But Rodgers never gave them the typical "less than a minute now" warning and you could see some of them were a bit surprised when the buzzer went off to signal the end of the round.  That may be more on the producers, but they should be in his ear telling him to give the players a heads-up. 

That's definitely on the producers. Alex had 35 years of doing the routine and wouldn't have needed a reminder, but you can't expect a guest host to remember that themselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

And the stupid woman at the end can't wager.

Both Wednesday and Thursday had 3rd place ladies that were completely clueless on betting in Final Jeopardy.

On Wednesday, the lady in 3rd had a chance to win if she bet enough and 1st and 2nd place both missed the Final - so she bet $0. Fortunately it didn't matter.

We know how Thursday went.

I can hear Wallace Shawn's voice "Morons!".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ben & Jerry's said:

The producer guy was clearly the best so far. I think it's his to lose so far if he wants it. 

I agree.

I'd like to see Brad Rutter try.  He already has experience doing this.  I figure he is more personable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2021 at 9:45 AM, SWC said:

i wish they would do a cover of the jeopardy song that baby needs to be freshed up they should looking glass to cover it and not only would more people watch the show but it would shatter the top 40 into pieces take that to the bank bromigos 

Do-do-do-do-do, do-do-do-do...

There's a show on the TV set,
See how many right you can get.
Winning players stay another day
And talk about their lives.

There's a host on this TV show,
And the answers he has to know.
This guest hosts say play another round
As they show us the new board.

The players say "Alex, we miss you so"
"What a great host you have been"
"Yeah, the new guys aren't as brilliant, we can see."
 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So did they stop testing people first, or is there a mohawk demographic they were trying to fill.  Fox was not the sharpest.  "Coke developed this cherry flavored drink to rival Dr. Pepper" "What is Cherry Coke?" and "Named for an explorer and linked to salt flats, this ancient lake once covered most of what is now Utah." "What is the Great Salt Lake?" sound like my 4th grader answered them.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2021 at 11:28 AM, wlwiles said:

Two mistakes/things that Rodgers is doing that could be improved. 

1. He wastes time elaborating on correct answers too often.  When the clue is a person and the contestant rings in with "Who is Emerson?" and Rodgers says "yes, that's right, Ralph Waldo Emerson is correct. Go again".  Just a yes will do bud.  

2. Because of #1, last night the contestants ran out of time and didn't get to all the clues in the DJ round.  But Rodgers never gave them the typical "less than a minute now" warning and you could see some of them were a bit surprised when the buzzer went off to signal the end of the round.  That may be more on the producers, but they should be in his ear telling him to give the players a heads-up. 

I think he did give the "minute warning" but the next to last question was a video DD and took up more time, 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Snoopy said:

In the 1960s these Midwesterners earned 5 NFL championship trophies.

 

No one chimed in, making another embarrassing moment for Rodgers.

Lombardi- What the hell is going on out here?

  • Laughing 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Snoopy said:

In the 1960s these Midwesterners earned 5 NFL championship trophies.

 

No one chimed in, making another embarrassing moment for Rodgers.

But I did like his "oh, you knew that one?" when someone answered the next question about the Celtics. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Snoopy said:

In the 1960s these Midwesterners earned 5 NFL championship trophies.

 

No one chimed in, making another embarrassing moment for Rodgers.

Why is that embarrassing for Rodgers? 3 schmucks didn't know the answer so now it's his fault? You people are really reaching to bash him at this point.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, strykerpks said:

Why is that embarrassing for Rodgers? 3 schmucks didn't know the answer so now it's his fault? You people are really reaching to bash him at this point.

It was only embarrassing for the contestants.  Given who the host was, it should have been worthy of a guess at least.

And those idiots still can't wager.  If the person in the middle hadn't changed her answer, the leader would have lost big time.  Doofus.

Edited by Mrs. Rannous
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

It was only embarrassing for the contestants.  Given who the host was, it should have been worthy of a guess at least.

And those idiots still can't wager.  If the person in the middle hadn't changed her answer, the leader would have lost big time.  Doofus.

Life's greatest mystery:

How can you be smart enough to qualify to play on Jeopardy and not understand simple betting strategy. :confused: :excited: :shrug:

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Life's greatest mystery:

How can you be smart enough to qualify to play on Jeopardy and not understand simple betting strategy. :confused: :excited: :shrug:

Some people are good at trivia and bad at math? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Some people are good at trivia and bad at math? 

And the math to me is easier than the trivia. Unlimited subjects vs. a limited amount of wagering possibilities. Some of us could coach these people in just a few minutes, not sure why they don't get some help before they go on the show.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Ugh why wouldn’t she do a true daily double at the end.  

Everytime someone chickens out on the DD wager (when they find it late in the DJ round) when they're behind it baffles me.  You have a waaaaay better chance of knowing it and catching up right then than you do getting the FJ clue.  Holzhauer was a genius, bet big on the DD's because that's where the bread is made

Edited by wlwiles
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HaFo SaFo said:

Textbook case of when you have to go nearly all-in, you've hit the DD on the last clue of the round as time is running out, and you have between 1/4th and 1/2 of the leader... so you have to cross the 1/2 mark in order to force him to get it right in FJ and not have a "lock game" where he can't be caught. 

Not betting big is a major error.

Also infuriating is when the last clue in DJ is revealed and its value is the difference between a contestant being able to catch the leader in FJ and the leader having a runaway, and the contestant who could prevent the runaway doesn't ring in. Even a wild guess has a better shot at preventing the runaway than no guess at all. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Also infuriating is when the last clue in DJ is revealed and its value is the difference between a contestant being able to catch the leader in FJ and the leader having a runaway, and the contestant who could prevent the runaway doesn't ring in. Even a wild guess has a better shot at preventing the runaway than no guess at all. 

Ringing in is it's own challenge.  It's a timing thing, if you ring in too early then you get locked out for a small fraction of time, or maybe the other person just hit it a nanosecond before you did.  Not getting the clue doesn't mean they weren't trying to ring in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, wlwiles said:

Ringing in is it's own challenge.  It's a timing thing, if you ring in too early then you get locked out for a small fraction of time, or maybe the other person just hit it a nanosecond before you did.  Not getting the clue doesn't mean they weren't trying to ring in. 

I know that. I was more thinking about cases where no one rang in, so it was there for the taking. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pip's Invitation said:

I know that. I was more thinking about cases where no one rang in, so it was there for the taking. 

Then in that case, absolutely ring in and throw something at the wall.  

I sometimes wonder if DD betting can be influenced inadvertently by the host.  I've noticed Rodgers will say "there's the daily double.  You're $1200 off the lead..." and then it feels like the contestant tends to wager something right around that amount.  Maybe sheer coincidence, but I don't remember Trebek ever doing the math for the player before their wager.  Not a knock on Rodgers, Katie Couric did it and that producer guy I remember did it a time or two also.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, wlwiles said:

Then in that case, absolutely ring in and throw something at the wall.  

I sometimes wonder if DD betting can be influenced inadvertently by the host.  I've noticed Rodgers will say "there's the daily double.  You're $1200 off the lead..." and then it feels like the contestant tends to wager something right around that amount.  Maybe sheer coincidence, but I don't remember Trebek ever doing the math for the player before their wager.  Not a knock on Rodgers, Katie Couric did it and that producer guy I remember did it a time or two also.  

Maybe. IIRC Alex would say something like "you see the scores" or give a general sense of how far off the lead they were. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, wlwiles said:

Then in that case, absolutely ring in and throw something at the wall.  

I sometimes wonder if DD betting can be influenced inadvertently by the host.  I've noticed Rodgers will say "there's the daily double.  You're $1200 off the lead..." and then it feels like the contestant tends to wager something right around that amount.  Maybe sheer coincidence, but I don't remember Trebek ever doing the math for the player before their wager.  Not a knock on Rodgers, Katie Couric did it and that producer guy I remember did it a time or two also.  

I'm pretty sure Alex did it, too.  He varied it more, probably because he had to do that so many times.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2021 at 6:08 PM, Leroy Hoard said:

That's because there he doesn't have to put it into a form of a question.

lol could you imagine the weird cadence if he did make calls and audibles in the form of a question? I think that would be hilarious. I wouldn't be shocked if he worked in some sort of Jeopardy related call next season. I hear Joe Buck wants to host now. No thanks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Marauders said:

 I hear Joe Buck wants to host now. No thanks. 

He'll start every show "Sitting beside me is Hall-of-Famer Troy Aikman". I think it's in his contract.

  • Laughing 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, The General said:

Anderson Cooper the best of the bunch so far. 

That was very impressive for his first show. I expect him to get even better. He has that perfect on air cadence with all his time on TV.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Snoopy said:

And another bad wager.  2nd place had exactly half of leader going into FJ and did not bet it all.  He got the question correctly and the leader got it wrong and bet $1.

I yelled at the screen again.  Some people have the logic skills of a rabid chinchilla.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Snoopy said:

And another bad wager.  2nd place had exactly half of leader going into FJ and did not bet it all.  He got the question correctly and the leader got it wrong and bet $1.

I kept adding up his score thinking that I miscounted, hardly believing that the contestant was that stupid. :boxing:

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I yelled at the screen again.  Some people have the logic skills of a rabid chinchilla.

If I ever get on the show I'll try to work "rabid chinchilla" into my banter with the host. 

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The male challenger on Friday's episode had one of the worst performances I can remember for someone who made it to the FJ round. He had serious reading comprehension problems. And to top it all off he made a dumb wager in FJ. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...