Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh

Posted (edited)

Don’t get the risk aversion for Jennifer. When she got DD2 in DJ she bet $2,200 out of $10,400.

You’re down $24K from Day 1, why not risk it all? To “protect 2nd place” which has a delta of $50K? When you could be going for it gaining $150K?

(prizes are 3rd-$50K 2nd-$100K 1st-$250K

A few seconds later Sam found DD3 and went for the true daily double wagering $7800 and taking the lead from Jenifer with $13800.

Would coulda shoulda. If she wins a true DD there and bets it all on FJ (only player who was correct) she’s the champ. She wanted to play it safe and received what she sought.

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Well the FJ question asked “countries” so the answer has to have more than one, no?

Hmm, you are right about "countries." Still think it's a bad clue though. Especially for a final.

11 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

Ugh.. Stupid local weatherman talked over the last 15 minutes of the TOC to talk about a storm warning that other networks did not break into their programming for.

At least they didn't switch to Heidi. 

• Laughing 3

Also, IDC if she “only finished third” (fantastic achievement!), Veronica Vichit-Vadakan is the coolest Jeopardy champ name of all time. V3 seems totally, genuinely humble. I’m not a celebrity crush kind of guy but she’s dreamy in my book.

🥰

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Also, IDC if she “only finished third” (fantastic achievement!), Veronica Vichit-Vadakan is the coolest Jeopardy champ name of all time. V3 seems totally, genuinely humble. I’m not a celebrity crush kind of guy but she’s dreamy in my book.

🥰

She's a classic Portlandian...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

🥰

Her reaction at the end of her semifinal win was pretty powerful. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Don’t get the risk aversion for Jennifer. When she got DD2 in DJ she bet $2,200 out of $10,400.

You’re down $24K from Day 1, why not risk it all? To “protect 2nd place” which has a delta of $50K? When you could be going for it gaining $150K?

(prizes are 3rd-$50K 2nd-$100K 1st-$250K

A few seconds later Sam found DD3 and went for the true daily double wagering $7800 and taking the lead from Jenifer with $13800.

Would coulda shoulda. If she wins a true DD there and bets it all on FJ (only player who was correct) she’s the champ. She wanted to play it safe and received what she sought.

this was an odd sequence.  she was down 24k from day one, gets a DD and really doesn’t even try.  if she doesn’t know the category, that’s one thing, but she got the answer and wagered 2200.  them, sam endangers himself by betting it all during the 2nd and last DD of the tournament.   i have no idea why he made that bet.  he misses and he actually puts the tournament at risk.  also, has bizzy stopped moving his hands?

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 7:24 AM, Murph said:

Hmm, you are right about "countries." Still think it's a bad clue though. Especially for a final.

I think technically East Germany was absorbed into the Federal Republic of Germany (which was known as West Germany) and that is still the official name of Germany.  Denmark bordered the FRG and still does. East Germany (The German Democratic Republic), which bordered Poland doesn't exist anymore. The FRG does.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)

I have a hard time accepting women in certain male-dominated professions, such as play-by-play announcer and disc jockey, probably just because I am so used to them always being men. I suppose, game show host falls into that same category for me. That said, I think Amy Farrah Fowler is doing a fantastic job, and I would be happy to see her every weeknight. 

Edited by Dennis Castro
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dennis Castro said:

I have a hard time accepting women in certain male-dominated professions, such as play-by-play announcer and disc jockey, probably just because I am so used to them always being men. I suppose, game show host falls into that same category for me. That said, I think Amy Farrah Fowler is doing a fantastic job, and I would be happy to see her every weeknight. 

Now let’s see Sheldon as host next!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PinkydaPimp said:

The likes of NFL star Aaron Rodgers, former Jeopardy! champion Ken Jennings, veteran news anchor Katie Couric and actor LeVar Burton have had mixed responses for their turn as presenters.

Am I tripping? LeVar's shows haven't aired yet, correct? 

13 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Blossom isn’t bad.  :shrug: 

I think she's doing a great job.  Still feel like Buzzy is better but she's in the top 4 imo.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

I think she's doing a great job.  Still feel like Buzzy is better but she's in the top 4 imo.  

Agree.  Buzzy is the best and his connection to the game make him the ideal fit.  The producer guy was obviously better but i suspect he’s fine just producing and coaching the new host.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Am I tripping? LeVar's shows haven't aired yet, correct? 

I am guessing they meant Bill Whitaker.

Yesterday my kids watched Monday's episode since "Amy from Big Bang" was hosting.  Since I had already watched it I was able to pause it on the questions I knew they could figure out.  They all laughed at the 'Madeline and the Bad Hat" question since we read those books, and I had the first two memorized from reading it almost every night to them.

37 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Agree.  Buzzy is the best and his connection to the game make him the ideal fit.  The producer guy was obviously better but i suspect he’s fine just producing and coaching the new host.  

Producer guy could also be an emergency sub host in case the #1 is out for some reason.

On 5/29/2021 at 4:24 AM, Murph said:

That was a tough final. I racked my brain and kept ruling out potential answers but never did come up with Poland.

I guessed Romania.

1 hour ago, Mr. Mojo said:

That was a tough final. I racked my brain and kept ruling out potential answers but never did come up with Poland.

I guessed Romania.

That was my guess too. It didn't occur to me that one of the "countries that no longer exist" was East Germany. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

I've liked him best so far.  Jennings was ok as well but Buzzy had an energy to him that I really enjoyed while still maintaining the proper decorum for Jeopardy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, identikit said:

I'll miss you Julia...

😢

She was definitely a thing.  I think my wife and son were more than a little surprised how bummed I was when she lost last night.  Quite a....um...JARRING...change to the new champ.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I don't like her at all.  I find her to be irritating.

Plus she is one of the most fuddy duddy dressers I have ever seen.  It's like she shops at the Salvation Army store in 1984.

She is the full body version of Buzzy's glasses.

• Laughing 5

2 hours ago, Runkle said:

I agree with the bottom 2, but I have some issues after that. 

My list would look something like:

1. Cohen
2. Bialik
3. Richards
4. Jennings
5. Cooper
6. Rodgers
7. Whitaker
8. Couric
9. Oz

I still think the shark play is for Jeopardy to continue with guest hosting on some sort of basis.

They've never gotten this much publicity since I've been watching.

And I go back to the Art Fleming days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Plus she is one of the most fuddy duddy dressers I have ever seen.  It's like she shops at the Salvation Army store in 1984.

This times 100.

She's awful--constantly laughing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chet said:
7 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

This times 100.

She's awful--constantly laughing.

My wife and I diagnosed it tonight: it's the CONSTANT post-answer comments.  Expanding on/furthering/filling in the correct answers of the contestants or providing the correct ungiven answers.  There's JUST a hint of superiority in almost all of them, JUST a hint of arrogance.  Along with the fuddy-duddy outfits, it's a huge turnoff.  

Bring back Buzzy and his Mayimesque glasses.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, facook said:

it's the CONSTANT post-answer comments. 

Oh, god, yes.  That's it, exactly.

I'm not sure it's arrogance.  Some people just have a need to fill gaps in conversation.  It may be a reflection of a lack of social skills.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

I agree with the bottom 2, but I have some issues after that. 

My list would look something like:

1. Cohen
2. Bialik
3. Richards
4. Jennings
5. Cooper
6. Rodgers
7. Whitaker
8. Couric
9. Oz

This is very close to how I'd want them.  I might flip Jennings and Cooper.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I'll grant you that her attire makes Rosa Klebb look like Lady Gaga.

I still like her the best.  

• Like 1