What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (3 Viewers)

Oh, god, yes.  That's it, exactly.

I'm not sure it's arrogance.  Some people just have a need to fill gaps in conversation.  It may be a reflection of a lack of social skills.
I'm catching up, got one more Mayim episode to go.  I like her, and I don't mind the "filling in the gaps" part that she does.  But her transitions into breaks are a bit awkward. Stopping midway through the Jeopardy! round for the first break: 

Trebek: "That's correct, and that takes you up to $2300, a good game going so far. :turns to camera:  We'll pause here, and get to meet the players when we come back. Stay tuned folks." 

Mayim: "That's correct, and :turning to camera: it's time for our first commercial break."   

Just no segue skills...I really like her otherwise, and I think she's having fun and it's a bit infectious to the contestants, lots of smiles from them as they answer because she's feeding them the energy.  You get Ken Jennings and a couple braniacs up there and it can get monotonous for stretches.  

She is all over NBC. She’s hosted the Today show for the past 10 years, serves as a fill-in host on NBC Nightly News, covers the Macy’s Thanksgiving day parade, goes to the Olympics with Bob Costas etc. 
I wouldn't have seen her on anything but the bolded, but I'm kind of embarrassed I had no idea who she was, given that resume.

The current champ has won twice by betting intelligently both times.

What a concept....
I prefer champs who get Final Jeopardy questions right (which she finally did).

Smart play or no, you should get a pie in in the face for backdooring a win.

She is all over NBC. She’s hosted the Today show for the past 10 years, serves as a fill-in host on NBC Nightly News, covers the Macy’s Thanksgiving day parade, goes to the Olympics with Bob Costas etc. 
You can tell I don't watch a whole lot of NBC programming.

Did she get that outfit from 1976?  The ladies' wardrobe at the Lawrence Welk Show?  Oy.

Last edited by a moderator:
$5 bet on a daily double in a tight game on the second to last clue? Got it right too— enjoy that extra Subway foot long, I guess. (Although does not even get that since just ends up with second place money.)

Updated ranking of guest hosts:

1. Cohen
2. Bialik
3. Richards
4. Jennings

Would be happy to see any of those take over. 

5. Cooper
6. Rodgers

Would be fine with either of those taking over but don't like them as much as the top 4.

7. Gupta
8. Whitaker
9. Guthrie

The "meh" tier. Not excited by any of them but they wouldn't kill the show if they took over.

10. Couric
11. Oz

Did not enjoy them and they are poorly suited for the gig. 

Updated ranking of guest hosts:

1. Cohen
2. Bialik
3. Richards
4. Jennings

Would be happy to see any of those take over. 

5. Cooper
6. Rodgers

Would be fine with either of those taking over but don't like them as much as the top 4.

7. Gupta
8. Whitaker
9. Guthrie

The "meh" tier. Not excited by any of them but they wouldn't kill the show if they took over.

10. Couric
11. Oz

Did not enjoy them and they are poorly suited for the gig. 
I agree with all of these except I would put Bialik below Gupta.

$5 bet on a daily double in a tight game on the second to last clue? Got it right too— enjoy that extra Subway foot long, I guess. (Although does not even get that since just ends up with second place money.)
Category has a lot to do with wagering. Sure, it would be nice to build a big lead there, but I can sympathize with the "I know next to nothing about opera, so I'm sure not betting big and risking my lead" approach. I'd have probably been thankful for a chance to burn off the daily double in that category the same way and breathe a sigh of relief that the other contestants couldn't use it.

I actually agree with both of you. But I would purposely miss a $5 question because I would end up looking dumber by getting it right.

Category has a lot to do with wagering. Sure, it would be nice to build a big lead there, but I can sympathize with the "I know next to nothing about opera, so I'm sure not betting big and risking my lead" approach. I'd have probably been thankful for a chance to burn off the daily double in that category the same way and breathe a sigh of relief that the other contestants couldn't use it.
I can get that, but he seemed to know a decent amount about opera. He got the $2,000 clue right too. 

My uncle was on Jeopardy tonight. Not as a contestant, but in a photo of the clue about the Bull and Finch Pub, the bar that inspired Cheers. He was a regular there and was second from right in the photo.

He looked a little like George Wendt and used to get asked all the time if he was the inspiration for Norm (he wasn't). Eventually it became a charity initiative. He would sit at the bar with a sign that said "Ask me if I'm Norm and donate to the Jimmy Fund."

These are my thoughts on the various temp hosts so far. I am splitting this into separate posts so they might be more convenient to respond to - not at all because I want to increase my post count and earn badges. 

Ken Jennings obviously knows his stuff. I don’t like his voice though, and as a contestant, it would be hard for me to get past the thought that he likely knows the vast majority of the answers going in, and is probably judging me. 

Mike Richards. I liked his strong presence and nearly flawless delivery. I’ve heard conflicting reports over whether or not he actually wants the job. Also, being a relative nobody may not be ideal for the hype machine. Lastly, his name is very similar to Michael Richards. I don’t know whether that would be an asset or a liability, but it does make me smile thinking of Kramer hosting. 

Katie Couric. I couldn’t stand her. I thought she was too cutesy and a little bit condescending. Near the bottom of my list, though I have read she has no interest in taking over full-time.

Also, I mentioned above that I have a bias against female sportscasters and female disc jockeys. I think this might apply to game show hosts too. I’m not sure why that is, but I’m thinking it all comes from having to watch so many years of Pam Ward covering lower-tier Big 10 games.

Aaron Rodgers. I thought he came across as wooden and he really doesn’t have a good television voice. In all fairness though, I only caught his first couple of episodes and everybody seems to get better over the course of their time behind the podium. Naturally, there are questions over his ability to make a long-term commitment given his other career opportunities.

I don’t want this to become like Family Feud, which seems to get a new host every six months or so.

As for Anderson Cooper, I can’t see it happening. He is a decent enough presenter, but his politics make him too polarizing, especially given that Jeopardy‘s audience is largely composed of old white people - a demographic that leans conservative.

Also, there’s absolutely no way he drops what he’s doing now to take the gig.

Buzzy Cohen was pretty good. He’s got the pedigree, is likable, and would bring an energy that might appeal to a wider audience. Personally, I got tired of him pretty quickly during his original run on the show though. That hipster persona gets old after awhile. They could do worse though, much worse.

Mayim Bialik was a total homerun in my book. Yeah, I know what I said about female game show hosts, but she is the exception. Great presence, fun fashion sense, and she’s not unpleasant to look at. She is my top pick so far. The only thing that annoys me is the constant references to her having that PhD in neuroscience. OK, we get it.

This is a good time to mention how sick I am of hearing the hosts go on about how much money the show is donating to whatever cause they are supporting and how awesome they are for doing that. 

Furthermore, I know that Alex Trebek is irreplaceable, set an impossibly high bar, etc. I get that every new host is compelled to say that, but it’s not like it’s a major point of contention. 

Savannah Guthrie. Katie Couric Part II. I honestly couldn’t tell you what differentiates one from the other. And like I said, she’s all over the television anyway. She’s at the height of her career, so I don’t think she would be taking this job anyway. 

Dr. Sanjay Gupta has been awesome. I would be happy to see him every night. He has a very expressive face, he’s clearly intelligent, and seems as happy to be there as anyone has. Plus, like Whitaker, he checks the diversity box which might be appealing. Yeah, I know about the Rachel Nichols thing, so save it.

I only have two small gripes about him. One is that when he gives the correct answer after a mess, he doesn’t put it in the form of a question. He just blurts out ‘David Bowie’ or whatever the correct response was supposed to be. I never actually noticed that Alex always used the question form in his corrections, but it seems really awkward when Dr. Gupta does not.

The other thing is that he seems surprised, and by extension condescending, when someone gets a correct answer that he did not expect them to. Here, I’m thinking about the lady last week with the very thick Chinese accent. Whenever she rang in with a correct response on a pop-culture topic, Gupta would always say something like “Nice!” There have been a few other cases too, but that one really stuck out.

Those are fixable problems though. He is currently my second choice.

Savannah Guthrie. Katie Couric Part II. I honestly couldn’t tell you what differentiates one from the other. And like I said, she’s all over the television anyway. She’s at the height of her career, so I don’t think she would be taking this job anyway. 
One's taller than the other.

Mayim Bialik was a total homerun in my book. Yeah, I know what I said about female game show hosts, but she is the exception. Great presence, fun fashion sense, and she’s not unpleasant to look at. She is my top pick so far. The only thing that annoys me is the constant references to her having that PhD in neuroscience. OK, we get it.

This is a good time to mention how sick I am of hearing the hosts go on about how much money the show is donating to whatever cause they are supporting and how awesome they are for doing that. 

Furthermore, I know that Alex Trebek is irreplaceable, set an impossibly high bar, etc. I get that every new host is compelled to say that, but it’s not like it’s a major point of contention. 
"This.....IS.....AnnOYINGGGGGGGG...Jeapordy!"

She sucks.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta has been awesome. I would be happy to see him every night. He has a very expressive face, he’s clearly intelligent, and seems as happy to be there as anyone has. Plus, like Whitaker, he checks the diversity box which might be appealing. Yeah, I know about the Rachel Nichols thing, so save it.

I only have two small gripes about him. One is that when he gives the correct answer after a mess, he doesn’t put it in the form of a question. He just blurts out ‘David Bowie’ or whatever the correct response was supposed to be. I never actually noticed that Alex always used the question form in his corrections, but it seems really awkward when Dr. Gupta does not.

The other thing is that he seems surprised, and by extension condescending, when someone gets a correct answer that he did not expect them to. Here, I’m thinking about the lady last week with the very thick Chinese accent. Whenever she rang in with a correct response on a pop-culture topic, Gupta would always say something like “Nice!” There have been a few other cases too, but that one really stuck out.

Those are fixable problems though. He is currently my second choice.
My son started calling Rat because he reminded him of a grown up version of Rat from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. 

I don’t want this to become like Family Feud, which seems to get a new host every six months or so.
That was true for a while, but Steve Harvey has had the gig for a long time now. 

Rodgers really did get better as he went along, though he doesn't have the greatest voice. I'd like to see what Peyton Manning could do if they wanna go the QB route. He's not bad on College Bowl. 

So nothing about the constant references to her being Jewish?  She commented on every clue having to do with Judaism.

Oy.

Users who are viewing this thread