Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh

14 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I have no problem with Gupta. Not perfect, but he rarely tries to bring attention to himself.  Like a good ump or ref.

The only thing that I don't like about Gupta is that he seems to more often than not do the "double-tap" when no one knows the answer. (E.g., "It's Japan... what is Japan?")  Others do that too, but it seems more pronounced and more frequent with him.  If that is my biggest gripe with him, I can't complain too much -- I'd put him around middle of the pack of the guest hosts so far.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd put Roberts in the same bucket as Couric. Mediocre as a host, but gets a bump for being a huge proponent of cancer research/funding in personal life, which is a big part of the show's mission this season.

Roberts corrected a wrong answer last night, after another contestant gave the right answer.

Never noticed that before.

Coming across as a scold to me.

On 7/22/2021 at 3:10 PM, Don Quixote said:

I'd put Roberts in the same bucket as Couric. 

She's nowhere near as annoying as Couric. But she's not great. I'd rank her around the same as Guthrie. 

23 hours ago, identikit said:

Roberts corrected a wrong answer last night, after another contestant gave the right answer.

Or an explanation

Pre-empted here during the Olympics. It's important that we not miss 1/2 hour per day of coverage of local Olympians (which, so far, is actually coverage of local "almost Olympians") to supplement the 100 hours per day coverage provided by NBC. 

14 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I see our contestant broke the record for the lowest score ever.  Nice!

It would be great if they made contestants actually pay that money.

"Patrick, you owe us $7,400. We reserve the right to retain you until arrangements can be made."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 3

1 minute ago, apalmer said:

Pre-empted here during the Olympics. It's important that we not miss 1/2 hour per day of coverage of local Olympians (which, so far, is actually coverage of local "almost Olympians") to supplement the 100 hours per day coverage provided by NBC. 

Yes, a lot of local stations that carry are on NBC. Also matters if you get a 7:00 or 7:30 timeslot. Mine bumped Wheel of Fortune instead.

53 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I sure hope LeVar Burton improves.  So far, he isn't that good at hosting this.

It was like he was playing celebrity Jeopardy on SNL.  "Welcome back Burt Reynolds with negative 7,495 points... Sean Connery with -$13,500 points..." 

Seemed like Burton was nervous. I imagine he'll get better.  Hope so anyway.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, apalmer said:

The Jeopardy website has a list of when to watch pre-empted episodes.

Alas, I think ABC, which carries it here, will pre-empt for the Congress stuff.  God only knows if it will run.

6 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Me before the game: "Wow, a contestant from our city!". :)

After the game: "Where did they get that doofus?". :bag:

• Laughing 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I sure hope LeVar Burton improves.  So far, he isn't that good at hosting this.

Yea i was thinking he would be good but alas.  Seems super nervous out there.  Maybe after a few episodes.  :shrug: 

23 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Yea i was thinking he would be good but alas.  Seems super nervous out there.  Maybe after a few episodes.  :shrug: 

He’s getting more comfortable imo.  Think he can be good once he fully settles into this and is less robotic.  

Then I guess he is better today than yesterday.  The new-found shouty enthusiasm was annoying.

Update-  Nope.  Not better.  Still shouty.  Maybe it's a holdover from playing to a younger audience?

Edited by Mrs. Rannous

Yeah, not liking Burton that much.  The first or maybe second game the lady in the middle buzzed in and he forgot to call on her.  Was just weird silence.  Then when her little red lights were about to count out he calls on her. 

Wake up, Geordi!  

On 7/28/2021 at 9:11 PM, Penguin said:

Current champ is a buzzsaw

Couple games he found the DJ after racking up a bunch of $1K answers and shoved. It's such a great strategy, if you miss you've got plenty of time to make it up, if you hit you've massive lead. Last night he made it a true daily double when he was up $5K to $1K to (-600), got it right. Ended up with $44K then bet $30K (& won) on FJ.

Another game (Wednesday) was almost the same scenario, double up fm $4.2K to 8.4K with both his opponents under $1K.

Matt has a chance to be an all-time great, $269K through 7 games.

• Like 1

Didn’t find the first DD (broke a streak of 9 straight), and only netted -2K on the two he found in Double Jeopardy, and missed FJ. Still ran away $22.4K to 4K, $204K for the week, and $292K through 8 games.

This was probably his 5th game of the day (they tape 5 per day) so I imagine fatigue was a factor, but still dominated the buzzer. 

Matt’s game yesterday was the 2nd-best Coryat score of all time. 

Todays “easy” Final Jeopardy:

These are the 2 of a reporter’s 5 W’s that are not on the baseball team in Abbott & Costello’s “Who’s On First?”

All 3 players whiffed.

A: What are When and Where?

On 7/27/2021 at 7:37 AM, Mrs. Rannous said:

He had the unfortunate combination of being fast on the buzzer but not knowing many of the answers (especially in the expensive categories). 

Yea this champion is solid.  How did Burton do?  Curious to see how he does on the next day of recordings.  On paper he seemed like he was going to be good but the nervousness and mistakes are rough.  Im still a buzzy or Ken guy myself.  It just makes sense and i think Buzzy is ideal since he has more personality which is important. 

how many more guest hosts are coming? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Matt’s game yesterday was the 2nd-best Coryat score of all time. 

Todays “easy” Final Jeopardy:

These are the 2 of a reporter’s 5 W’s that are not on the baseball team in Abbott & Costello’s “Who’s On First?”

All 3 players whiffed.

A: What are When and Where?

I struggled  with that one within the time limits. Been a while since watching the routine and had trouble eliminating the third option after Who and What.

Matt is definitely rolling, but it bothers me that he starts every question with “What’s” especially when referring to a person.

Really wanted Levar to emphasize the ! in Andrew! and yell at him every time he buzzed in too.

3 minutes ago, Rustoleum said:

I struggled  with that one within the time limits. Been a while since watching the routine and had trouble eliminating the third option after Who and What.

Matt is definitely rolling, but it bothers me that he starts every question with “What’s” especially when referring to a person.

Really wanted Levar to emphasize the ! in Andrew! and yell at him every time he buzzed in too.

What’s pause pause pause The Answer

Saw his stats last night, he’s ringing in successfully over 50% of the time. Roughly 239/444 questions in 8 games (+ 5 more after the first person missed.) Pretty sure his focus is on timing the buzzer and he’s ringing on any category he feels confident in, and the What’s pause pause pause The Answer schtict is him figuring out “huh…do I actually know this one?” Or another alternative theory is he knows but he’s double checking to make sure he’s read/heard the clue correctly.

Whichever it is, he’s a beast. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

What’s pause pause pause The Answer

Saw his stats last night, he’s ringing in successfully over 50% of the time. Roughly 239/444 questions in 8 games (+ 5 more after the first person missed.) Pretty sure his focus is on timing the buzzer and he’s ringing on any category he feels confident in, and the What’s pause pause pause The Answer schtict is him figuring out “huh…do I actually know this one?” Or another alternative theory is he knows but he’s double checking to make sure he’s read/heard the clue correctly.

Whichever it is, he’s a beast. 

Yeah he’s locked in on the buzzer for sure, almost always first even on the gimmes, and the couple of people fast enough to challenge him are jumping in on stuff they don’t know just to have a chance to score and digging themselves into a hole.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rustoleum said:

Yeah he’s locked in on the buzzer for sure, almost always first even on the gimmes, and the couple of people fast enough to challenge him are jumping in on stuff they don’t know just to have a chance to score and digging themselves into a hole.

We’ve seen it often already. He’s so good at keeping control that they’re just desperate to ring in (and it’s while he is typically cleaning the bottom row $1K clues, to build his total before he hunts the DD.) They miss and holy crap he’s doubling up while they’re now $10K behind. Gotta be psychologically devastating to the challengers.

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rustoleum said:

I missed it, too. I knew that "When" was one of the 2 omitted, but struggled with "Where" and "Why", and picked the wrong one. I have to assume that they guy on the right completely misread the question.

I also noticed the "What" answer on everything, which doesn't seem right for such a smart champion.

Like many other long playing champs, he seems strong in nearly every category.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

I also noticed the "What" answer on everything, which doesn't seem right for such a smart champion.

Its one less thing to clutter your mind - instead of hesitating a couple nanoseconds to remember “is this a Who Is or What is answer?”, you just train yourself to answer everything  What’s..

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Would be solid shtick to go on the show and start every response with "Is it..?" 

"Is it George Washington?" 

"Is it New York City?" 

Then maybe mix it up once in a while with a 

"Ain't that gamma radiation?" 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 3

16 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Its one less thing to clutter your mind - instead of hesitating a couple nanoseconds to remember “is this a Who Is or What is answer?”, you just train yourself to answer everything  What’s..

Absolutely.  

Even when it seems like he's in a tough match at the start like today, he still has more than twice the next player at the first commercial break on his way to another runaway.

Also, new host (Faber) isn't half bad.  I don't know if he's really good or if he just seems so after Burton.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jhib said:

Even when it seems like he's in a tough match at the start like today, he still has more than twice the next player at the first commercial break on his way to another runaway.

Also, new host (Faber) isn't half bad.  I don't know if he's really good or if he just seems so after Burton.

I was late getting dinner started so I missed parts of the Jeopardy round, but seemed like early on the other contestants were matching him on the buzzer. Like I think he was behind for a second, $1.4K to $1.8K. I went back to the kitchen to stir something and when I came back, the onslaught was already over, it was $12.8K to $2K to 400. Like I missed two minutes and he just curb stomped everyone,

Matt, you’re a PhD student at, er, in New Haven.

:lol:

Some Ivy’s are like that; I went to school in Ithaca or I matriculated in Providence. If Harvard grads haven’t name checked their school within 5 minutes of meeting you, they probably have laryngitis. Same same with UPenn.

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

On 7/23/2021 at 9:27 AM, identikit said:

RR was terrible.  The finger wagging really irked me.  By far the worst guest host so far IMO.

• Thanks 1

So far, I think Faber is one of my favorites.  He acts like he's been there before.

It was nice to see someone put some pressure on Matt for more than a few minutes.

• Like 1

Matt Amodio showed some huge balls today

Was in tough game; missed the DD in the Jeopardy round, and another player found the first DD in Double Jeopardy. Both players made it a true daily double - Christine going from $3.6K (tied with Matt) to $7.2K, and Harry going fm $2.4 to $4.8K early on the second board. A few clues later Matt found the last daily double. Scores:

Matt $13.0K

Christine $10-11K

Harry $5K(ish)

I’d like to wager $13,000

Final scores: $52K $19.2K $0

10th all time in  wins (9), 8th in winnings with $362.4K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1