What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (1 Viewer)

It seemed like his "ring in, then figure it out" strategy finally caught up with him.

He also looked tired, so maybe that didn't help.

A great run but I'm kind of glad it's over because having nearly every game be a runaway made Final Jeopardy fairly dull.

I look forward to seeing him in the TOC.

It seemed like his "ring in, then figure it out" strategy finally caught up with him.

He also looked tired, so maybe that didn't help.

A great run but I'm kind of glad it's over because having nearly every game be a runaway made Final Jeopardy fairly dull.

I look forward to seeing him in the TOC.

Normally when he did this, he was completely unflappable and confident he would get the answer.  He was nervous doing this when he lost.  It was inevitable he would have a bad day, but if the other players weren't so good he could have probably overcome it.

Enjoyed the run.  He was great.

That FJ seemed right up his alley with the kinds of categories he was extra good at.  Wouldn't have mattered anyway, but it struck me as odd that he didn't get that.

He had a lot of wrong answers last night, and quite a few seemed like Answers he should have kmown. A lot of games when he was on a roll he’d ring in and then figure out if he knew it. Pretty obvious from the slow pace of his answer and the sheepish grin after that he was sometimes ringing in and then coming up with the answer. It’s probably a lot easier to pull that off when you’re cruising. It’s lot harder to process information when you’re in tight game or trailing.

Eh, whatever...dude had an fantastic run. It was gonna end sooner or later, and I feel like last night was more about facing two strong players stepping up rather than him choking. Great, great player.

B o r I n g game without Matt.

Kid from the Bronx was one of the more visibly nervous contestants I’ve seen in awhile, though his Double Jeopardy round was decent.

Jonathon cruised to his second win with an impressive $31,000 Coryat score. While not a Top 42 game (33K-39.2K), that’s well above Amodio’s average of $27,913. How hard is it to top $30K? Not uncommon for most ToC contestants to have one game that high. Only four players have done it more than once: Jason Z, Matt, James and Ken.

ETA: answered 32 out of 60 correctly prior to FJ. Really exceptional showing.

Jonathon‘s two-day total of $51,700 puts him at 582nd place on the all-time list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, After Ken, Matt, and James, what are the next longest winning streaks?

What would be the average streak?

Just out of curiosity, After Ken, Matt, and James, what are the next longest winning streaks?

What would be the average streak?
I believe it's Julia Collins at 20 and Dave Madden at 19. Fun fact: Those two combined with Brad Rutter to win the Teams tournament. 

Most champs win 1 or 2 games, so I would imagine the average streak is well under 5, perhaps even under 3. 

I was actually shocked all three got FJ. I thought only the reigning champ had a shot. To me it was easy but a 60/70 year old woman?

Penguin said:
I was actually shocked all three got FJ. I thought only the reigning champ had a shot. To me it was easy but a 60/70 year old woman?
I got it.  I had no idea about the quote but looked Mr R and said,  "That sounds like Yogi Berra."

Penguin said:
She's probably old enough to remember all the original Berra-isms when he said them the first time... "no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded", "cut my pizza into six slices, I don't think I can eat eight", and most famously, "it ain't over 'til it's over", which is basically the same as "the record will stand until it's broken" to be fair. 

How much would it suck to be the person that Gary Indiana is named after.  When I first saw the clue that was my initial answer, but a few seconds of thought got me to Lafayette (helped that Purdue is in West Lafayette).

How much would it suck to be the person that Gary Indiana is named after.  When I first saw the clue that was my initial answer, but a few seconds of thought got me to Lafayette (helped that Purdue is in West Lafayette).
My 1st thought was Fort Wayne might be named after Mad Anthony Wayne (though I had no clue if he was part of any tour).

Is it just me, or did there seem to be an unusually high number of DJ clues involving actors and things related to acting?

I thought the challenger would answer "Santa Claus" owing to his history.

Is it just me, or did there seem to be an unusually high number of DJ clues involving actors and things related to acting?

I'm pretty sure there's a TV or Movies category in 4 out of 5 episodes each week, at a minimum. So all the more likely to see DD's in categories that are there every day. It's part of the "dumbing down" on the show that's been going on for years. At some point they did a focus group and found the audience was tired of 'being impressed' by the wide-ranging knowledge of the contestants, and was more engaged when the audience knew the answers too and could play along. Hence, they've worked in more pop-culture clues.

Categories in just the last two weeks:

Monday 10/4: SCI-FI MOVIE SYNOPSES

Tuesday 10/5: CULT MOVIES

Wednesday 10/6: WE ARE TV FAMILY

Thursday 10/7: SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE PEOPLE

Friday 10/8: ACTOR-MOGULS

Monday 10/11: RECENT MOVIES

Tuesday 10/12: WHO DIRECTED IT?

Wednesday 10/13: '80s TV

Thursday 10/14: MY FIRST NAME IS A TV SHOW TITLE

Friday 10/15: MOVIE TITLES THROUGH PICTURES

... There's also a popular music-related category 3 or 4 out of 5 episodes a week, too.

Yesterday was the first day off in a while, relying instead on "Disney Songs" and the general categories "Theater Companies" and "Fictional Africa", in which 4 of the 5 clues were TV Shows/Movies, all except the first one about Tarzan. The rest were Black Panther, 24, The West Wing, and Nicole Kidman's The Interpreter.

They really want to reward people for memorizing the imdb, it seems.

The first few times, Mayim made remarks like "well, being an actor certainly helped with that category". I'm thinking the producers suggested she stop that when he runs a movie/theater/actor/director category now.

I usually do pretty well on Director categories but I have to admit that the champ kicked my butt in that category a couple days ago.

The first few times, Mayim made remarks like "well, being an actor certainly helped with that category". I'm thinking the producers suggested she stop that when he runs a movie/theater/actor/director category now.

Took 7 wins before she stopped mentioning he knocked off Matt Amodio.

With his 10th Win today, Jonathan becomes the first to knock off an Ultra Champ (10 wins or more) and then become an Ultra Champ.

He’s the 11th Ultra Champion since the 5 game rule was lifted in 2003.

With 230K in winnings, he is now 39th on the all time Jeopardy leaderboard

Do you folks ever have one of those nights where you are sure that you got the Final Question correct, but still miss it?

I had that last night on "1970s Top 40 Hits".

"Seeing a poster for a production of “Cyrano de Bergerac” in a seedy Paris hotel & ladies of the evening nearby inspired this hit"

I picked a 70s hit song where they speak French and talk about sex.

I said "Lady Marmalade"

(Clank) Wrong!  :cry: :wall:

Do you folks ever have one of those nights where you are sure that you got the Final Question correct, but still miss it?

"Seeing a poster for a production of “Cyrano de Bergerac” in a seedy Paris hotel & ladies of the evening nearby inspired this hit"

I said "Lady Marmalade"

That was my choice too. 🙁

I said "Lady Marmalade"

I just watched this episode tonight. I guessed Lady Marmalade too! Made perfect sense given the info we had. If I'd known Roxanne was written in Paris, I might have thought of that, but I didn't. 

I just watched this episode tonight. I guessed Lady Marmalade too! Made perfect sense given the info we had. If I'd known Roxanne was written in Paris, I might have thought of that, but I didn't. 
Cyrano de Bergerac was written in French by a French guy.  Roxanne is the female lead in the story.  Where the song was written really doesn't matter.

(It might help if you saw the Steve Martin movie Roxanne, which is based on the play.)

Cyrano de Bergerac was written in French by a French guy.  Roxanne is the female lead in the story.  Where the song was written really doesn't matter.

(It might help if you saw the Steve Martin movie Roxanne, which is based on the play.)
I did. I was always under the impression that in the song, Roxanne was the random name of a call girl and had nothing to do with Cyrano. Given that Sting thinks of himself as a literary genius, obviously that was a bad impression. Knowing where the song was written would have helped ME a lot, even if it means nothing to you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrs. Rannous said:

I never made the connection.

Thanks

Per the jeopardyfan.com, last nights result broke a streak:

"Today was the first game since July 9 where the leader going into Final Jeopardy! did not win. This ends a streak of 62 consecutive games. The record is 83 regular-play games, from May 20 through November 29, 2004."

Per the jeopardyfan.com, last nights result broke a streak:

"Today was the first game since July 9 where the leader going into Final Jeopardy! did not win. This ends a streak of 62 consecutive games. The record is 83 regular-play games, from May 20 through November 29, 2004."

AKA "nine games before Ken Jenning's first appearance, then his 74 wins"

I was sorry to see Cindy lose on the Thursday night game this week.  :(

She played really well, bet wisely on the Final and dressed very stylishly for the show. 

Users who are viewing this thread