What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (2 Viewers)

She started off slow too. 
But her recent FJ issue bit her. 

My wife noticed how red her ears were at the end. She was embarrassed, mad, or both. 

Mrs. Rannous said:
He coudln't believe it, either.
Amy posted on Reddit r/jeopardy around 4pm today:

Hi all, it's Amy! (Yes, it's really me, happy to provide proof to a moderator or whatever the process would be.)

Just wanted to drop in and say that I've been reading every thread on here, and I have a lot of thoughts on your observations about my gameplay, so I'm really excited to finally have that conversation with y'all! (tl;dr: I agree with some criticisms and disagree with others)

As you might imagine, I'm going to be swamped with media requests for the next couple of days, but for now, thanks for all the love, and even all the critiques; I'm always happy to hear the opinions of people who take Jeopardy as seriously as I do. I'll be back soon!

(Oh, also, if you want a preview of my opinions, please check out my detailed posts as @ jeopardamy on Twitter if you haven't already) 

Strategic betting is so important! Rhone lost it all on DD1 when he had $1.4K. Didn’t panic; if you miss a true DD early, there’s always time to make it up. Glad he wasn’t deterred when he hit DD3.

Amy had a 3:1 advantage (24-7.8) at that point but the only way he could ensure it wasn’t going to be a runaway was to bet it all. So many times we see people with a similar score and they go conservative.

Great run, she was the best old school champ in a long time. Was pretty cool Ken was the host throughout bc hardly anyone goes straight down the category anymore. Very  gracious & charming champion.

Also, both Matt and Amy lost on the same FJ Category: COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD

I was shocked she missed that even with her recent FJ issues. Before I finished reading the question Bangladesh immediately popped into my head

AAABatteries said:
That true Daily Double plus another FJ miss by Amy won it for him.  Doubt he goes on much of a run.  
Totally see glasses guy being one and done. There were a few cute women along the way that Amy defeated - wish one of them had been the victors instead.

Also surprised she didn't get Bangladesh, but I guess when you have that many countries to parse through in a very short period of time, it either hits you right away or doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally see glasses guy being one and done. There were a few cute women along the way that Amy defeated - wish one of them had been the victors instead.

Also surprised she didn't get Bangladesh, but I guess when you have that many countries to parse through in a very short period of time, it either hits you right away or doesn't.
I thought for sure with the added clue of being top-10 in population she would get it.  Was fairly shocked when she came up empty.  Seems like a category the contestants would study.

Why?  I literally don’t care about the contestant and just want to gauge how much I know and enjoy learning.  I could see if you said you specifically don’t like Amy but even then it seems weird to me, they are just answering questions.  I don’t even listen to the banter after the commercial break, skip right past it.
I agree but I do sometimes feel bad for the other two contestants who may love the show and it just so happens that when they get on they run into a buzzsaw like Amy. 

I got Bangladesh instantly and was shocked that she didn't.

Fun fact: Both James and Amy were taken down by librarians. 
I also got it right away and was surprised that she didn't, but she had only been getting about 50% of the Finals right lately and it finally caught up with her. I still think that there must be some mental fatigue with being on that many shows in a row, even with some breaks in filming. 

And she was smiling just as much at the end as when she won, which is another reason I really like her.

#2 all time win streak at 40 games, hats off to you Ms. Schneider! 

Interesting FJ that tripped her up...it wasn't some obscure piece of French literature or who signed what document in Greece in 1739, just a straight up "Here's 30 seconds to name the one country in the world that ends in -H" and she couldn't come up with it.   I realized it right as the music ended, would have been too late to scribble down if I'd been at one of the lecterns though.  

Really a seriously impressive streak by Amy, because like others have said, she did it in a very Ken Jennings-like way.  Didn't bounce around categories, didn't go Holzhauer on the DD bets, she often went straight down the board clearing whole categories, just bludgeoned the other contestants with brute knowledge and wicked buzzer timing. I believe (before her ultimately last game) she had a 7 game streak of runaway games?  Wow

It was interesting seeing that the high score entering Final Jeopardy was only $13K for the first time in 8 weeks.

I thought the Final was really tough and it was difficult even coming up with a decent guess. I started wondering if there was a guy named Vernon who sold him the Mount Vernon property (I know, that's a longshot and a bad guess).

It was interesting seeing that the high score entering Final Jeopardy was only $13K for the first time in 8 weeks.

I thought the Final was really tough and it was difficult even coming up with a decent guess. I started wondering if there was a guy named Vernon who sold him the Mount Vernon property (I know, that's a longshot and a bad guess).
Same here on the final yesterday. I was trying to think of someone famous who immigrated from Ireland around that time and coming up empty.

Stuart was not in my head. I did not know that he left the colonies around the time of the Revolution and came back (good to learn something new from the show, as always).

As a few of us said upthread, no surprise that glasses guy's reign was one and done.

What I found strange last night is hearing the beep-beep-beep to end the first round before all the categories were cleared. I don't think that ever happened during Amy's run because she was so lightning quick and efficient.

Don Quixote said:
Same here on the final yesterday. I was trying to think of someone famous who immigrated from Ireland around that time and coming up empty.

Stuart was not in my head. I did not know that he left the colonies around the time of the Revolution and came back (good to learn something new from the show, as always).
Same. If I’d known Stuart had been in Ireland, I might have gotten it, but I didn’t, so I didn’t.

There’s a Stuart in the faculty room of my alma mater that is always mentioned during tours, but it’s been forever since I’ve been on one of those. 

zamboni said:
As a few of us said upthread, no surprise that glasses guy's reign was one and done.

What I found strange last night is hearing the beep-beep-beep to end the first round before all the categories were cleared. I don't think that ever happened during Amy's run because she was so lightning quick and efficient.
It did not. My wife was disappointed because she hates when clues go unrevealed.

Fast forwarding the beginning I saw the guy in today's episode in profile and said "That looks like Jay Leno" and then saw that his name actually was Jay.

When Ken did the "this is what has happened this season" two 38+ game winners, an 11, and several 5, it really pointed out how crazy this season is that this far in and there are only a few champs.

Dumb question.  Do they only bring 5+ game winners (and winners of the college/prof tournies) to the Tournament of Champions, or if there is a lack do they extend it to other multi-day winners?

Fast forwarding the beginning I saw the guy in today's episode in profile and said "That looks like Jay Leno" and then saw that his name actually was Jay.

When Ken did the "this is what has happened this season" two 38+ game winners, an 11, and several 5, it really pointed out how crazy this season is that this far in and there are only a few champs.

Dumb question.  Do they only bring 5+ game winners (and winners of the college/prof tournies) to the Tournament of Champions, or if there is a lack do they extend it to other multi-day winners?
They extend it if needed.

5+ are guaranteed. 4+ qualify, but not guaranteed an invitation.

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/toc-tracker

I was firmly in the Mayim camp after last year's auditions.  I also liked Ken, but not as much. My opinion has now changed completely. Ken, by a large margin.

Did Alex ever call the first round "Single Jeopardy?" I feel like it was always just "the Jeopardy Round."

I'm just asking because she's called it that before commercial the last couple episodes and it's bothered me, and I want to know if I'm justified in being bothered.  :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread