What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (8 Viewers)

Unless Bell suited up on defense yesterday he would not have made much of a difference.  Mahomes could have thrown for 8 TDs if given another 2 or 3 possessions.
Anyone who thought the Steelers were going to have a good D this year was naively thinking "happy, joy -joy" thoughts.  They were never going to be good on D; they were picked to be a playoff team, and potential AFC SB representative because of their dynamic offense that forced teams to try to shut down two All-Pro caliber players, an experienced, savvy QB, and a young dynamic WR threat. 

Obviously I haven't watched the game pass film from week 2 yet, but that film from week 1 showed the Browns focusing on AB with double teams/safety help.  I wouldn't be surprised if this week's film shows a similar plan.  He's catching  55% of his passes this year, as opposed to his career average of 66%, and his YPR is 8.9 instead of 13.4.

Without Bell, the Browns and Chiefs seem to have decided to pay more attention to AB, and force Conner to make them regret it. 

The good thing is we'll probably never know if Bell would choose to sit out playoff games to save his body the wear & tear, as the Steelers might not be in position to make him make that choice.

one more win than the Steelers have with Conner as their main RB! :lol:
I don't have high expectations this year.  The defense isn't strong or deep enough for them to contend this year.  Meh secondary lacking playmakers, not much of a pass rush, and all the offense in the world isn't going to be enough to overcome that.  They'll be exposed by any team with a good offense.  Losing Shazier was a huge blow to the defense.

Bell can sit out 10 weeks, that's fine.  It'll have minimal impact on anything the Steelers accomplish this year and it gives the Steelers a great look at what they have in Conner for the future.  I'm OK with that.  

Anyone who thought the Steelers were going to have a good D this year was naively thinking "happy, joy -joy" thoughts.  They were never going to be good on D; they were picked to be a playoff team, and potential AFC SB representative because of their dynamic offense that forced teams to try to shut down two All-Pro caliber players, an experienced, savvy QB, and a young dynamic WR threat. 

Obviously I haven't watched the game pass film from week 2 yet, but that film from week 1 showed the Browns focusing on AB with double teams/safety help.  I wouldn't be surprised if this week's film shows a similar plan.  He's catching  55% of his passes this year, as opposed to his career average of 66%, and his YPR is 8.9 instead of 13.4.

Without Bell, the Browns and Chiefs seem to have decided to pay more attention to AB, and force Conner to make them regret it. 

The good thing is we'll probably never know if Bell would choose to sit out playoff games to save his body the wear & tear, as the Steelers might not be in position to make him make that choice.
I don't recall anyone saying the Steelers defense was going to be good this season.  Still you hope they can keep the opposing QB to under 6 TD passes at home.

As for the rest, Nelson had a fair amount of 1 on 1 with AB and did a pretty good job albeit with a lot of clutching and grabbing (to be fair AB initiated it a lot of contact too).  Ben had no problems spreading the ball to JuJu, Conner, James, Washington, etc.  

I guess the offense could have been better but they did put up 35 points.  The special teams was really bad too but you don't need to study film to figure out the defense was the biggest problem and Bell wouldn't have made a difference there.

I am just curious Bayhawks, are you related to Bell or just have a huge man crush?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recall anyone saying the Steelers defense was going to be good this season.  Still you hope they can keep the opposing QB to under 6 TD passes at home.

As for the rest, Nelson had a fair amount of 1 on 1 with AB and did a pretty good job albeit with a lot of clutching and grabbing (to be fair AB initiated it a lot of contact too).  Ben had no problems spreading the ball to JuJu, Conner, James, Washington, etc.  

I guess the offense could have been better but they did put up 35 points.  The special teams was really bad too but you don't need to study film to figure out the defense was the biggest problem and Bell wouldn't have made a difference there.

I am just curious Bayhawks, are you related to Bell or just have a huge man crush?
Because I think he is a special talent at RB, or because I think that a top RB would command more attention from opposing D's than James Conner, or because the film backs up (from the Cle game) that without Bell, teams might pay even more attention to AB?  Which of those reasons indicates that I'm related to Bell?

Because I think he is a special talent at RB, or because I think that a top RB would command more attention from opposing D's than James Conner, or because the film backs up (from the Cle game) that without Bell, teams might pay even more attention to AB?  Which of those reasons indicates that I'm related to Bell?
Because you seem to think the Steelers with Bell would be 2-0

Maybe you are Bell?

Because you seem to think the Steelers with Bell would be 2-0
I'm not sure where you think I posted that.  If you could point me to the post where I indicated that, I'd be happy to edit it.

I DO think they'd have had a better chance of winning both games with Bell.  But, I thought the Jags would have had a better chance of beating NE with Fournette, and that the Packers had a better chance of beating Minny with Rodgers.

I tend to think that teams who have their better players playing have a better chance of winning games.

I'm not sure where you think I posted that.  If you could point me to the post where I indicated that, I'd be happy to edit it.

I DO think they'd have had a better chance of winning both games with Bell.  But, I thought the Jags would have had a better chance of beating NE with Fournette, and that the Packers had a better chance of beating Minny with Rodgers.

I tend to think that teams who have their better players playing have a better chance of winning games.
Me too but I also watch the games.   The KC game was not winnable with that defense, period.  It was one of the worst defensive performances I've ever seen by an NFL team.

Still think he is a top 5 RB in terms of talent, but the Steelers clearly need to address defense - his time there is done. 

He comes back week 10, what they do with him, who knows. 

I'm starting to think not signing that contract Pitt offered was a mistake, I don't think he gets a Gurley comparable contract, maybe close, but def not exceeding it. 

I merely responded to a post asserting that they can win with Conner as their main RB by saying they haven't do so yet.  That is a fact.  Do me a favor & show me where I pointed to the correlation as causation?  Thanks.
Steelers haven't won a regular season game in 2018.  FACT.  They might as well shut it down for the year.

Still think he is a top 5 RB in terms of talent, but the Steelers clearly need to address defense - his time there is done. 

He comes back week 10, what they do with him, who knows. 

I'm starting to think not signing that contract Pitt offered was a mistake, I don't think he gets a Gurley comparable contract, maybe close, but def not exceeding it. 
And the Steelers screwed up by franchising him this year.  They took a $14.5 million dollar cap hit that they could have used to sign a top free agent defensive player.

It is water under the bridge now, they are stuck with what they've got.

And the Steelers screwed up by franchising him this year.  They took a $14.5 million dollar cap hit that they could have used to sign a top free agent defensive player.

It is water under the bridge now, they are stuck with what they've got.
Gargantuan #### up on their part too.

I think there are larger implications here too, could give teams a pause on using the tag on someone if they A) don't think they'll sign it B) aren't convinced they want to offer a longer deal

Awesome post admitting you don't know anything.

Steelers beat the Browns 21-18 (7 points from a blocked punt TD) week 1 of 2017 and it's because Bell is amazing and demonstrated his amazing ability with 47 yards and no TDs.

Steelers tie a much improved Browns 21-21 week 1 of 2018 and obviously they would have had a better chance of winning with Bell (Conner had 192 yfs and 2 TDs)

Steelers beat the Browns 21-18 (7 points from a blocked punt TD) week 1 of 2017 and it's because Bell is amazing and demonstrated his amazing ability with 47 yards and no TDs.

Steelers tie a much improved Browns 21-21 week 1 of 2018 and obviously they would have had a better chance of winning with Bell (Conner had 192 yfs and 2 TDs)
Do we think that Bell is better than Conner?

If so, is it possible Bell goes for 225 against the Browns and they win that game?  

Is it possible a lesser back gets you 3r yards last year?  

Do we think that Bell is better than Conner?

If so, is it possible Bell goes for 225 against the Browns and they win that game?  

Is it possible a lesser back gets you 3r yards last year?  
Why didn't Bell go for 225 yards last year?  RBs are the most overrated position in football (perhaps all of sports)

Yes, they can.  The reason they're 0-1-1 has nothing to do with Conner, which any Steelers fan will agree with and I pointed out in the rest of my post.

You can't say that with any certainty.  Bell being in there makes the defense do entirely different things than Conner's presence does.  Maybe they blitz more, or less, or play different coverages, or roll coverage off of AB more.  Any better player improves the chance to win a game, period.  Maybe they don't need to cover the TE as much if they convert more first downs, sustain a couple more drives longer, keep Mahomes off the field. 

You can't say that with any certainty.  Bell being in there makes the defense do entirely different things than Conner's presence does.  Maybe they blitz more, or less, or play different coverages, or roll coverage off of AB more.  Any better player improves the chance to win a game, period.  Maybe they don't need to cover the TE as much if they convert more first downs, sustain a couple more drives longer, keep Mahomes off the field. 
Steelers fell behind Jaguars 21-0 in the AFC playoffs last year with Bell... you know the last game before Conner started.  What excuse do you have then if Bell is so incredible?

When Fournette was ruled out, how much did the spread move?

When Rodgers was declared active, how much did the spread move?

What would the spreads be if Bell played vs Conner playing?
Who was talking about the spread?  Who was talking about gambling? 

Do you disagree that better players help team win?

not disputing the math of the bolded.

if you have $10 and I have $20, I do NOT have 200% more.  think about it.
Okay, you have 200% of $10.  Feel free to take the word "more" out of my post.  It's a grammatical error, not a math error.

The Cardinals paid DJ 246% at signing what the Steelers offered Bell at signing.

Last edited by a moderator:
 what do you think better players should do to the spread if they are active vs. inactive?  
:lmao:   We're not even talking about gambling or point spreads, and you try to introduce it, and you don't even do it correctly.

Spreads aren't indicators of whether one team is better than the other.  They are set up to try to let the books make money.  Stick to the point.

Do you disagree with the idea that better players give teams more of a chance to win?  Not beat the spread, win games.

:lmao:   We're not even talking about gambling or point spreads, and you try to introduce it, and you don't even do it correctly.

Spreads aren't indicators of whether one team is better than the other.  They are set up to try to let the books make money.  Stick to the point.

Do you disagree with the idea that better players give teams more of a chance to win?  Not beat the spread, win games.
There is no better "opinion" on a player's worth than an efficient NFL betting market.  Thanks for proving you are a clueless troll - I'll stop wasting my time on you now.

Users who are viewing this thread